Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best of YOUR World

Fabulous Shadow

Best of YOUR World

So i'm out by the pool listening to the BOBW cd...
    Roth, Hagar, Roth, Hagar, Roth, Hagar, you get the picture...

Why didn't they release two cds?

One, Best of the Roth era...
    Two, Best of the Hagar era...

(Three, Best of the...Uhhhh confusion era.. Just kidding!)

It would have actually been interesting to see these two go toe to toe on the charts and I don't think it would have affected the tour because I think it's primarily Hagar and EVH fans going anyway. I also think that it would have made more money for the VH boy because more ROTH fans would be spending their dough on it and the Hagar fans would buy both anyway.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss...
    Last edited by Fabulous Shadow; 08-01-2004 at 07:26 PM.

Classic
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Best of YOUR World

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
    Roth, Hagar, Roth, Hagar. Roth. Hagar, you get the picture...

It would have actually been interesting to see these two go toe to toe on the charts and I don't think it would have affected the tour because I think it's primarily Hagar and EVH fans going anyway. I also think that it would have made more money fort the VH boy because more ROTH fans would be spending their dough on it and the Hagar fans would buy both anyway.

FAB that would have made too much sense for Warner Brothers to do. I hate the music industry. It has gone done the fuckin' toilet.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...it would have answered a ton of questions...

I would have loved to see Roth with NO new songs...kick the living hell out of Hagar with 3 new tunes...

would have made my year...

Of course...they would never do that...because when the Roth version outsold the Hagar version 3-1...well...Eddie wouldn't look all that good now would he...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Fabulous Shadow
    POJO, do you really think that is what it comes down to? Saving face?
    Don't you think they would have made MORE money doing it the way I spelled it out? This way they have limited themself to the Hagar audience because they should know by know that the true RothHARDS won't touch it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whoever put it together just thought they could do a repeat of BOV1, that Roth and Hagar are interchangeable/most fans like VH mostly for Eddie, and enough time had passed since Hagar left VH to make the situation similar to what Roth and VH did in 1996 (throw a few new songs on there and it will sell).

If this is the thought process in the Van Halen camp, or the the record labels doing, or a combination of both, whatever.

Sheep would have bought this Best of if it was just one new Van Hagar song and nothing else but classics. They don't discern. Hell, they would have bought it even if was nothing but classic tunes. The logic behind it is the belief that Van Halen's fan base at this point is comprised of people who will buy whatever as long as the Van Halen name is on it..........apparently not enough to fill 10,000 seat concert halls, but that's another story (one you won't be reading about in Rolling Stone anytime soon)
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just saw that fucking K-Tell add on NFL Network again!!!!

When they "highlight" the songs on the album, the only Van Halen song mentioned is "Jump" and only ONE clip of Roth.

It's such "hits" as:

Finish what you started

When it's Cheese

Right Now

The "Classic?" Why Can't this be Dave?

and th new smash hit.......... It's about time!!!!

It's beyond pathetic.

*Best Popeye Voice* Well blow me down?!?!?!

Fuckers.........
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up

Part of the problem with Spammy back in '96 was he objected to 2 greatest hits pitting him against Diamond DAVE. He knew then that an all DAVE CD would kick the SHIT out of an Van Hagar CD. I'm sure that SpEddie didn't want to reopen THAT can of worms!!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was a concept that i came up with myself as well. Put both eras against each other and prove to the brothers that dave was the best

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX
    I just saw that fucking K-Tell add on NFL Network again!!!!

When they "highlight" the songs on the album, the only Van Halen song mentioned is "Jump" and only ONE clip of Roth.

It's such "hits" as:

Finish what you started

When it's Cheese

Right Now

The "Classic?" Why Can't this be Dave?

and th new smash hit.......... It's about time!!!!

It's beyond pathetic.

*Best Popeye Voice* Well blow me down?!?!?!

Fuckers.........
    I love how there are no closeup shots of Dave at all. Like the casual fan is gonna think that's Sammy.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The whole thing blows goat balls.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's an utter rip-off. But hey, who cares if a bunch of sheep love wasting their money? Seriously, let the losers spend more money and then realize they didn't really get much for it.

God, I hate Sammy Hagar. To think...this was the greatest band in the world 20 years ago...
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Dave IS VH
    The Best of the Roth era CD, would out sell the Best of the Hagar era Cd and that would down play the Van Hagar reunion to the world. Thus making the VH brothers look like a bunch of Jack asses.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Exactly. Alexis knows that all too well, which is why he would never do that(and continues to downplay Dave's hand in the bands success). Washed up pussy.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The pussifying of Van Halen continues.....

What a great fookin concept mentioned by Pojo and DLRDelight.
    Release them seperately so Eddie and Alice can see where the real interest lays. Deep down they fucken know, but make every atempt to
    cover it up. This mish mashed song order shit is just another ploy.....

Its as obvious as Ed's drunken cut and paste "production" jobs...

The best of both worlds ?? Fine, but seperate the two eras and give us a show with both singers. Then this album/tour might have a shred of cred..

Having Sammy sing Dave songs live on this release, really is a fucked
    decision. One I believe both sets of fans would agree is fucked up.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed and Alex are fucking losers... The Roth era Best of would've SLAUGHTERED the sales of the Hagar "Best of", then they'd be in a position with Roy that would be MOST egregious. The people have spoken, and it's DAVE OR THE GRAVE, ASSHOLES!!!!
    If you listen to fools
    The Mob Rules

guwapo_rocker

Re: Best of YOUR World

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
    Roth, Hagar, Roth, Hagar, Roth, Hagar, you get the picture...

It would have actually been interesting to see these two go toe to toe on the charts and I don't think it would have affected the tour because I think it's primarily Hagar and EVH fans going anyway. I also think that it would have made more money for the VH boy because more ROTH fans would be spending their dough on it and the Hagar fans would buy both anyway.

Drunk again Fab?

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know if Fab is drunk, but I'm WELL on my way, and it's 11:38AM here in NYC!! I think I have a problem... Well, my MAIN problem is VanHagar, but a coupla IrishCoffees in the mornin' might not've been the BEST idea I've ever had... I'm gonna stop now.

Fabulous Shadow
    LMAO! "Why Can't This Be Dave"

Nope, not drunk! Just sunning my buns and having a relaxy before starting another work week. (Which has officially started BTW)

Cover Smover...The reality is you think they'd want to make as much money as possible. IMO doing it this way, they just cut off sales to all the die hard Roth fans... That's got to count for alot of dough. Why hide fron the facts when there is money to make. That gotta be at least on years child support for Alex no?

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i'm comforted by the fact that each of these cd set shams
    that are purchased by the van haggis sheep is putting more
    royalty money into dave's fat bank account. that's the only
    good thing about this waste of cd's.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    see i dont mind putting them together on one disc....i drank the koolaid when thinking of this. its more beneficial to put both singers, or even all three on one cd since best ofs are not for "us"...the diehards that have far too much time on their hands during the day to sit on the site and bullshit. Best ofs are for the casual fan and in every case is a money grab, so why not showcase both singers since it is the "same band." If you are going to do more than 1 Best Of, doing volumes is fine, just dont put the same fucking songs on there

Fabulous Shadow
    EL44 ya know ILY but I have to admit I don't agree with ya here. You know I, like you, am a Halenite, (an all era fan) but I have to agree that the only reason NOT to make to separate sets would be to camouflage who the higher seller would be. That said, I have to agree it would be Dave. Hagar was a good SAVE for Van Halen but he was not DAVE. I really do believe that Van Halen lost more fans by losing Dave than it gained by adding Hagar, they did however manage to maintain a successful music career. Take a look at Prince. He released 4 greatest hit cd's based on his own music in different generas in his career. You had to buy all four if you wanted the collection. That's a good business mind at work.
    Last edited by Fabulous Shadow; 08-02-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLRdelight!
    That was a concept that i came up with myself as well. Put both eras against each other and prove to the brothers that dave was the best
    A better concept for the brothers would have been to not have used classic era tunes at all on this new greatest hits.

And not to bother playing them live unless Dave's on board.

Let Van Hagar sink or swim on it's own merit, rather than using the classic era to prop up a body of inferior work.

Y'all know the biggest applause Van Hagar gets live is when the band launches into a classic tune.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i agree and disagree...i think prince is a great example of how to do it and even a band like u2 did it right. VH got it wrong on the first Best Of by releasing a mishmash of songs but thats the way they did it and i dont really disagree with it. yes we all know it should have been volume 1 with all roth and volume 2 with all sammy but they put their "greatest hits" together on volume 1 and it works for the casual fan and 3 songs with dlr gave the old fans a bone to chew on.

i dont think it has anything to do with "hiding who sold more" or seeing who would sell more as people do not care about Van Halen anymore. So instead of one package selling whatever it sold first week, you have two performing poorly? Do you guys think a Best Of of all Roth would sell more than 400,000 in the first week? i sure dont

Fabulous Shadow
    Originally posted by Terry
    A better concept for the brothers would have been to not have used classic era tunes at all on this new greatest hits.

And not to bother playing them live unless Dave's on board.

Let Van Hagar sink or swim on it's own merit, rather than using the classic era to prop up a body of inferior work.

Y'all know the biggest applause Van Hagar gets live is when the band launches into a classic tune.
    Well, I will FYI ya on that as I will be seeing them twice this weekend.
    IMO the biggest insult on this CD was the 3 live songs on the disc. Sammy singing Dave era songs... Aint Talking Bout Love, Panama and Jump...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
    see i dont mind putting them together on one disc....i drank the koolaid when thinking of this. its more beneficial to put both singers, or even all three on one cd since best ofs are not for "us"...the diehards that have far too much time on their hands during the day to sit on the site and bullshit. Best ofs are for the casual fan and in every case is a money grab, so why not showcase both singers since it is the "same band." If you are going to do more than 1 Best Of, doing volumes is fine, just dont put the same fucking songs on there
    Agreed. That's the biggest sham of the whole stinkin' mess. Might as well have remastered Best Of Vol 1 for all the diversity this new Greatest Hits Cd offers.

And no word about a video companion to this new release. The sisters and Biff Malibu said back in 1997 that there would be another video compilation with more classic stuff on it coming out soon.

Guess soon in Van Halen terms means 10 years from now, or it was just more bullshit from the rhythm section and Mr. Fingers.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    supposedly a dvd coming of the current tour which may or may not ( i vote the latter) have some hidden "gems." If the talk of them going into the studio with sam for a new record are true do not expect any DLR era "gems" any time soon. hopefully they dont do a DVD just of this tour, unless there is backstage and "all access" and not just one show like the right here, right now.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i agree and disagree...i think prince is a great example of how to do it and even a band like u2 did it right. VH got it wrong on the first Best Of by releasing a mishmash of songs but thats the way they did it and i dont really disagree with it. yes we all know it should have been volume 1 with all roth and volume 2 with all sammy but they put their "greatest hits" together on volume 1 and it works for the casual fan and 3 songs with dlr gave the old fans a bone to chew on.

i dont think it has anything to do with "hiding who sold more" or seeing who would sell more as people do not care about Van Halen anymore. So instead of one package selling whatever it sold first week, you have two performing poorly? Do you guys think a Best Of of all Roth would sell more than 400,000 in the first week? i sure dont
    Would rather have seen a box set chock full of unreleased rareities, both audio and video. Even if half of it had been Van Hagar shit, still would have picked it up to catch whatever classic material was on it, not that there'd be any alternative/a strictly classic era box set because it seems VH of present won't separate the two eras.

Why this hasn't happened yet I can't even guess. I mean, if you're gonna put out greatest hits compilations, which is essentially looking backwards anyway, why not shoot the moon and make it something special?

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    well that sort of happened with the 4 CD "Merry Melodies Unreleased" although a lot of it sounded like shit, since it was bootlegged audio. But Id love an official "box of shit" unreleased/rare/live of all eras.

As a business, I think VH is smart for not consciously dividing the fan base any more than it already is. It is smarter to play up the one band than three singers.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    supposedly a dvd coming of the current tour which may or may not ( i vote the latter) have some hidden "gems." If the talk of them going into the studio with sam for a new record are true do not expect any DLR era "gems" any time soon. hopefully they dont do a DVD just of this tour, unless there is backstage and "all access" and not just one show like the right here, right now.
    See, that would suck, because I'd probably end up buying it even if it had only one classic era gem on it. That would be tantamount to having Van Hagar forced on me if I wanted to purchase it for the classic material and/or previously unreleased or new classic output, like the BOV1 and BOV1 Videos.

I realize I didn't have to buy them.....not like anyone was pointing a gun at my head, but didn't care for having to purchase Van Hagar shit in order to get the classic stuff. The video was even worse, because it was loaded with Van Hagar vids and there's a ton of classic promos that were skipped right over.

Fabulous Shadow
    This was probably easy money... I've said it before, I have to wonder if there isn't something more to this RUSH job...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    well that sort of happened with the 4 CD "Merry Melodies Unreleased" although a lot of it sounded like shit, since it was bootlegged audio. But Id love an official "box of shit" unreleased/rare/live of all eras.

As a business, I think VH is smart for not consciously dividing the fan base any more than it already is. It is smarter to play up the one band than three singers.
    May not be so much of a business choice as much as a mindset that Eddie is the focal point of the band and always was, and this core belief goes on to affect whatever comes out of Van Halen Du Jour, musically or otherwise.

Fabulous Shadow

Good point, but try as they might... it's out of their hands...

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    yeah im not really for a live dvd from the current tour...i just dont think they sound as good as they did. maybe age hit them and i generallly like sam's voice, but ive been disappointed in how he has sounded on this tour...seems like he is straining his voice too much and "yelling."

Not Full On Cocktard
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You guys really hate Sammy. Why? Didn't DLR quit? Sammy even threw DLR a bone to help him make a few bucks. Did you see the tour?

Fabulous Shadow
    I also think Eddies playing has sounded kind of sloppy and edgy but not in a good way...

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fab,It doesn't help when your always drunk on stage.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Fabulous Shadow
    Well, I don't know look at Keith Richards?
    I don't think it ever hurt Eddie before either...

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    see when i saw it, i ignored the drunk stuff since you cant really tell that he is apperently loaded, or at least you couldnt. i just took it as him finally changing things up and trying new approaches to songs

©Ramblings by Rogue® Inc.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    RogueHorseman® resides at the scenic Double Cross Ranch in sunny Riveria Paradise
    Status
    Originally posted by fusdog
    You guys really hate Sammy. Why? Didn't DLR quit? Sammy even threw DLR a bone to help him make a few bucks. Did you see the tour?
    Hey, dumb ass!

Facts are (as Sammy himself confirmed), red was the one who begged DAVE to do the tour.

The same red who sings Daves songs every night now... the same red who ran Eddie into the ground, then kissed Daves ass, then ran back to kiss Eddies all over again.

Its any which way the wind BLOWS with ole red... always has been.

Clearly, he is the one begging for BONES, left, right, front and rear.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rogue i wouldnt say he kissed dlr's ass. they both had a few nice things to say at the tour press conference but that ended pretty quickly. i think they threw each other a bone with that tour

Thread Information