Warning: Undefined array key "birthday" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/notice.php on line 1 Michael Anthony - The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Anthony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Anthony

IS Michael Anthony the worst BASS player in the world???

On a Scale of 1 thru 10 what would you rate him???

7. He's by no means the worst player in the world. I think he plays bass lines that stay out of the way of Eddie's Clusterfuck solos.
    When he gets to the technical part of his bass solo, he's actually not bad. Too bad all anyone remembers of it is him thrashing around and slapping his bass.

Is he Les Claypool? No......but I've heard a lot worse.

Comment

No dude he sucks... Im sorry but he cant play BASS... He seems like a cool guy and all... But he can not play BASS

Comment

He's alright. He has some great parts (he plays like a motherfucker on LIGHT UP THE SKY...check out his little runs up the neck on the song's middle-eight). Personally, I think Eddie is not as good or characteristic a bass-player. The bass seems to be inaudible and very boring on most of the recent Van Halen material.

The one issue I have with Mikey is that I wish he used a pick more. His not-using-a-pick makes him less audible in the mix on a lot of Van Halen records...only on FAIR WARNING has he said he was using a pick, and the bass sounds great on that album...it really cuts through.

I'd say Mikey is a very solid if unspectacular bass player. He's certainly right for Van Halen. He does make the sound somewhat predictable sometimes...but Christ, would you care if you were getting 25% and then one day you arrived at work and were told you could either accept a straight salary or get the fuck out?

I give Mikey a 7. Van Halen would sound TOO eclectic if they had a far superior bass player like Flea.
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C

Tab to Bass line of JUMP off 1984 (Bass Written by Michael Anthony)

Comment

Originally posted by michaelwsnyder
            C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C

Tab to Bass line of JUMP off 1984 (Bass Written by Michael Anthony)
            Yeah, but that's a keyboard. I don't even know what he's doing in the video.
            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

He's adequate. I remember an old interview with Ed, and Ed was miffed that Mike gets ragged on and said something like, "Mike plays the bass, he does not play the guitar on the bass. If he played like (someone famous) I would be competing with him all the time."

On another note, his concert solo is on par with Gene Simmons, meaning it sucks. But at least Gene spits blood.

Comment

Yeah But atleast Gene had Enough sense back in the day to play a Gibson not his own Jack Daniels Bass and C repeating is the Bass line to Jump The Keys are a bit more than just C

Comment

Originally posted by Vanstonica

When he gets to the technical part of his bass solo, he's actually not bad.
                  Ummmmmmmm ahhhhhhh......which part of the bass solo

is that exactly?

Comment

Oh and Just Cause Eddie is Busy as fuck doesnt excuse Mikey to write shit Bass lines

Comment

Mike's Bass lines are a little laid back but they fit the song. That is what a good bass player should do. Not trying to be the lead in the band is a good thing for a bass player. I think what he does play is solid and tight as well. Being a bass player myself I would have to give him a 7.

Comment

he is average in every way possible. I always considered him the luckiest man in the music business, perhaps in the whole world. Something tells me he thinks so too which is why he puts up with EVH and Alex's shit

Comment

I saw Van Hagar on the Balance tour (rip me now....I was young and foolish back then), and Mikey played a bit of the Phantom of the Opera theme (Bach, I believe)...it actually sounded incredibly good.

...and I think michaelwsmyder, you're actually proving my point with the C C C C C C C line in Jump. That song has so much going on with the guitar, synth, drums and vocals that you COULDN'T add a rippin' bass line, or it would sound awful. Mike does a good job of laying down the beat and staying out of the way.

Besides, from what I've read, Mike doesn't even write the bass lines anymore. Eddie does it all and tells Mike what he wants for each individual song.

I can't believe I'm standing up for the guy. Nevermind. Just kick out Spammy now and let the Bass Smurf sing lead vocal.

Comment

I think mikey is very talented. He use to play jazz on bass and all this other stuff, he just keeps the bass lines simple in Van Halen. There are some songs where he does a number of things on bass. i would give him an 8

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD
                              he is average in every way possible. I always considered him the luckiest man in the music business, perhaps in the whole world. Something tells me he thinks so too which is why he puts up with EVH and Alex's shit
                              Ditto.
                              <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

Working...
                              X