X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • degüello
    Sniper
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
    ... i just think it means the kid's more likely to get laid...

Pervert...
    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• Mr Badguy
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I really enjoy "Skyscaper".

Like most albums, you have to be in the mood for it.

"Skyscraper" works best on a nice, hot summer day with plenty of scantily clad girls around.

"Just like paradise"!
      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• DLRdelight!
        Veteran
        • Jul 2004

Hahaha. Yeah i know. At irst when i heard the album(2 days ago)i was like i could have got something better. Now i think its pretty good with songs like knuclebones, sky scraper, hot dog and a shake, good buy in my eyes!

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Gotta go with what's already been said about the overproducing. It was almost like a Van Hagar album with better lyrics. Definitely my least favorite DLR album. And yes, that means I liked YFLM and "Diamond Dave" better.

Now if Billy Sheehan was to ever leak the tapes he says he has of what the album was supposed to sound like and those made it over to STG (assuming they ever FIX IT!) then I would be willing to re-evaluate my opinion
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• JCOOK

"GIVE ME DAVE OR GIVE ME DEATH"

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              Gotta go with what's already been said about the overproducing. It was almost like a Van Hagar album with better lyrics. Definitely my least favorite DLR album. And yes, that means I liked YFLM and "Diamond Dave" better.

Now if Billy Sheehan was to ever leak the tapes he says he has of what the album was supposed to sound like and those made it over to STG (assuming they ever FIX IT!) then I would be willing to re-evaluate my opinion
              I wouldnt go that far dude. Sure it's no doubt over produced,as I mentioned, but it still blows away any Van Hagar project. I agree with the other poster, it's a great album to blast on a summer day. Titties and beer!

Comment

• degüello
                Sniper
                • Mar 2004

I've also posted this in a thread in the main, but here's Sheehan's remarks about that album (from Sludge 20Qs):

14. Did you leave David Lee Roth’s band because:

A: Dave’s voice started to go

(Believe it or not I like Dave's voice!)

B: Dave’s hair started to go

(Hey! How come all the alternative bands are bald as a queball and they don't get shit on! Who's that dork with the Smashing whatever's?)

C: Your hair started to go

(It's still here! I cover the gray though. Better gray than gone!!)

D: Your a band wagon jumper

(Hey! I jumped into NO BAND after that! "Hey Billy! We got a great idea! Jump into unemployment! It'll be an experience!!")

E. Other

OK I admit it---I HATED Skyscraper!!!!!!!!!! A BILLION OVERDUBS!!!!! All of it poo poo. You should hear the original demo's with just me, Steve, Brett, and Greg. I think I'll post them on my site someday---sounded great! What the fuck happened!!
                "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

"Suzy Suzy, girl for cryin' out loud.................."

Comment

• turboblues

Originally posted by DLRdelight!
                    Those better not be the kind of words i think they are french fry!
                    I think he was saying "I'm doing the best I can". He wasn't insulting you. Kinda funny!

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2004

I still like to see it the other way hahaha, amuses me more

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2004

Ha you dont believe that im 16?
                        I'm 13 dude!

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

Skyscraper is no doubt "totally 80's". The sound may not have stood the test of time as well as some of his others. At the time it was one of the best rock albums out there. Look at most anything in that 87-88 era and it's gonna be keyboard heavy. So, it is somewhat poppish. It doesn't stand up against EEAS for the total album.

But,

It has some F'n awesome songs on it. Some finger lickin good guitar and bass. (Check out the guitar and bass solos in Two Fools A Minute)

Skyscraper (the song) is very electronic, but damn it's smooth.

Hina, Perfect Timing, Hot Dog and a Shake, and Knucklebones are great rock songs.

Stand up is trash pop.

Just like paradise would make Van Hagar proud, but it's still a fucking good song.

There's another Damn Good song on there too that's kinda slow and acoustical sounding with some friggin impossible harmonics.

The Bottom Line (song is mediocre) is this was my favorite TAPE when it came out, and stayed there for a long time. I went to the Skyscraper show in Dallas, which was phenomenal, and listening to it takes me back to some of the good ol days.
                          I LOVE SKYSCRAPER!!!
                          Last edited by TwoFoolsAMinute; 08-12-2004, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Thetruthbaby
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jun 2004

SKYSCRAPER

The album is waaaay too much S Vai and his ballsless guitar sound. Wild too because on EEASmile he sounded like a caged tiger ready to kill. After EEASmile I never liked Vai's guitar sound too much. Always sounded like he's running it through a synth which I don't like. Maybe it's just me but after EEASmile I don't think Vai has contributed anything great to rock. That same ballsless sound is on Slip Of The Tongue by Whitesnake. The previous WSnake record with John Sykes sounded incredible. Then Vai comes in with the synth sounding guitar and it kills their balls. I realize that WSnake had some power ballads (and no I wasn't a big fan of those songs) but if you listen to the WSnake 87' album tunes like Crying In The Rain, Still Of The Night, & Bad Boys KILL. And a big part is because of John Sykes. Again Vai comes in with that wimpy sound and destroys the songs that could have redeemed Slip Of The Tongue. I'll be fair and say that ROTH must bear some of the criticism for SScraper. But I just think if he had not let Vai have so much control SScraper would have been much better. In an ironic twist of fate I actually thought the tour for SScraper was DLR's best. EEASmile was awesome as well, but live I actually enjoyed the SScraper tour a little more. I'm probably in the minority on that one.
                            DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER

Comment

• tobinentinc
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2004

I like Skyscraper, it's a great album. Very underrated here for some reason.
                              http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                                Veteran
                                • Jul 2004

Yeah, i find myself listening to that album more and more, great album in my book. "Stand Up!"

Comment

Working...