Thread: Can't be van Halen fans!!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-26-2014 @ 09:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Angry Can't be van Halen fans!!

All i read now on this sight is, Ed sucks, AL is the worst drummer ever and mike should be slapping his meat rather than slapping bass strings. All this shit sounds like a bunch of crap. Do you dudes even like or ever liked VH. I have never heard so many people rag and shit on the band that they are supposed to love. All people have their faults, the guys in VH, even Dave has faults. To go on and on how these guys were terrible and lackluster players, AL and MIKe, out the gate 30 yrs. ago is pure crap. And don't come back on me with, they could play then but their shit now. You never lose your ability to play when all your job in life is to play. These forums were always a loaded gun in my opinion, You start out with people coming to a place, talking how great this and that song was, how great the guys in the band were and are. But then after a shitload of micromanaging every little detail About Vh now you get, Ed didn't play that part of the solo like the record or Al always was a uninventive drummer and a big asshole, or Mike just shuts the fuck up and plays what Ed says to play. All this breaking down every little minute thing that these guys do really tarnishes the legacy that they have. It's real simple, either you love VH for what they were and are, And i'm not talking about Sammy,fuck him all togeither, or you were never a true Vh fan from the start.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2004 @ 12:04 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If you truly believe that they play better now than they did before with Dave, you sir are dillusional. As well, if you believe that Van Hagar is equitable to Van Halen, you sir are an idiot. We have a place for people like you and it is called the sheep pen. Get to steppin!!!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Yup...we'll see how MUSICMANN pans out. It's when people come in here questioning the entire place that the "baa"-ing starts to ring in our ears and the gates to the pen open slowly but surely...

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You dick, I didn't say anytrhing about how they play now to how they played back then. What i was saying is that people here do nothing but bitch and moan about how Al and mike Are the poorist excuses of musicians that ever were in a band. Read a few posts, and when they say those two can't play they are not talking about now. they are talking from the beggining.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And don't ever question my love for VH, I have proven time and time again here that in my eyes their is only one version of VH and that's the origional one.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh and one more thing musicman (a euphemism no doubt considering your post) this is not a van halen site, it is the roth army site. If you knew how to read, you'd realize that. All non-readers are directed to the sheep pen or the links.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
    You dick, I didn't say anytrhing about how they play now to how they played back then. What i was saying is that people here do nothing but bitch and moan about how Al and mike Are the poorist excuses of musicians that ever were in a band. Read a few posts, and when they say those two can't play they are not talking about now. they are talking from the beggining.
    I don't remember reading that here all the time. A lot of us will claim that the band aren't the virtuosos they once were. And I actually never thought Mikey was...great. He's an average bass player. Always has been. Alex is a great drummer. Eddie is (or maybe was) a great guitar player. Even through the Hagar years these guys played well. But a lot of the music became bland or boring because Dave wasn't there to throw out all the fucks or shits. But the singing has always been the problem for me. I could name you a stack of Van Hagar (or even Van Cherone) tunes that could have been good songs with Dave doing something creative on them.

Anyway, you jump in here and attack the place. Who's the dick??

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck all the sheep jokes to, I can take it like i can dish it out. If for one minute you think that i think all is well on the VH front your fucking wrong. The one thing i will never do is bash those guys talent. All four Of them were and still are the most talented fucking musicians on the planet. And i'm not talking once again about Ronald macdonald.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's a fucking Dave-classic VH sight dude.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck all the sheep jokes to, I can take it like i can dish it out. If for one minute you think that i think all is well on the VH front your fucking wrong. The one thing i will never do is bash those guys talent. All four Of them were and still are the most talented fucking musicians on the planet. And i'm not talking once again about Ronald macdonald.
    Those four are NOT the four most fucking talented musicians on the planet. Eddie...among the best guitarists in history. Alex...definitely not the best drummer in history. Great drummer...exceptional. But not the best. John Bonham, Keith Moon, Mitch Mitchell and others could be considered superior. Michael Anthony...not even in the top 100 bass players in rock. A few that are WAY better...John Entwistle, Flea, John Paul Jones, Billy Sheehan, even Cliff Burton.

The band Van Halen has among the greatest guitarists in history (maybe even the greatest, but that's a big argument), and an excellent rhythm section. What made them stand out even more was their incredibly dynamic, exciting, talented and unique frontman David Lee Roth. When they lost Roth, they became a competent, if sometimes unexciting professional rock band that paled in comparison to the rock 'n' roll juggernaut they once were. When I think of Van Halen, I think of UNCHAINED or SHE'S THE WOMAN...not the boring band playing FIRE IN THE HOLE or POUNDCAKE.

As for fucking all the sheep jokes, pal, I don't give a shit what you say. You're not in the pen unless you really earn it. But attacking this site for no reason just to get attention seems to me like someone dying to be made fun of in the pen. If you don't give a fuck, good for you. We'll laugh at you anyway.

I got no problem discussing the merits of Van Halen, the band. But if you start an attacking thread, you sound like you have some reason to be bitter that's more personal than anything.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No, actually it's the Rotharmy. That means we celebrate David Lee Roth. We also celebrate Van Halen the band (meaning with David Lee Roth), but often with an emphasis on our favorite frontman.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And i'm not attacking the whole sight and everyone here. I get on pretty much everyday and most of the treads are very negative. Alot of the treads are aimed at how two parts or three parts of the band are and were never really that good. It just make me wonder if the dudes starting these threads were ever true Halen fans.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And i'm not attacking the whole sight and everyone here. I get on pretty much everyday and most of the treads are very negative. Alot of the treads are aimed at how two parts or three parts of the band are and were never really that good. It just make me wonder if the dudes starting these threads were ever true Halen fans.
    Funny, but I just don't see it that way. I think almost every single person here loves the original Van Halen. I will also admit that I love Van Halen (the original band) more than Roth's solo material, but I also love his solo material (although there is a lot of material I consider mediocre).

There have been a couple of threads recently discussing either Alex's or Michael's playing. If that is your justification for this thread, you should calm down, dude.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dude, maybe I was a little harsh on you but this part of your post where you said, and I quote "It's real simple, either you love VH for what they were and are, And i'm not talking about Sammy,fuck him all togeither, or you were never a true Vh fan from the start." seems very contradictory like if we don't like Van Halen now, we aren't true fans. I implied this to mean you must be a hagar sheep. If I am wrong then I apologize, after all, I am new here, but the tone of the post led me to believe this.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I truly think what i was trying to get across, is that this is a great forum, but when you start to micromanage every little detail it goes from being a great site to almost to much info. We should and i mean all of us just relish in the great achievment that VH has, I'm not talking about now, but the Classic line up.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 856 Posts

Here here, Rikk. Musicman, I can name you probably 50 other musicians off the top of my head that can give anybody in Van Halen a run for their money, past present and future. Basically, the reason (and forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, here, because I'm new to the board still) that so much is said about Ed, Al and Mike is because there's a real level of disgust and upset to what Van Halen has been turned into - basically, that's a band of self-gratified egomaniacs who are more than happy to accept 2nd best with themselves and their music. They're complacent, and we here at the DLR Army didn't see nor did we hear that complacency with Roth at the wheel. Doing the math and knowing the band like we do, we've come to the conclusion that Roth brought out the best in Van Halen and the Roth era is our era of choice - now and forever. Since this is a David Lee Roth/Classic Van Halen oriented site, and since the majority of users on this board share the same opinion in regards to that issue, debating the shortcomings of the Hagar era and debating the lack of musical (and personal) integrity that's come out of Van Halen during his (or that other guys) tenure with the band shouldn't be something that anyone here should have to look elsewhere to do.

On a personal note, if I say Mike's bass playing SUCKS compared to what he was pulling off in his earlier days, that's my personal opinion and my opinion as a practicing bassist myself. Now, if somebody wants to disagree with me on that, I'm more than willing to listen to an intelligent, drawn-out reply stating why that person disagrees with me.

Overwhelmingly, though, this site does appear to be a no-holds-barred site. No bullshit, straight up, piss on your parade deal. It seems to me that if anyone in present company doesn't want to read any "negativity" about Van Halen or the current state of affairs (being their music, business decisions, et al), then the links would be the first place to go, because there's very little of that to annoy anyone over there.

Just my two cents, and probably all it's worth, so take it as you will.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's cool dude, I'm not a sheep. I am truly a 100% classic VH fan. IF there's one thing you will learn about me in reading some of my treads is, I will never bad mouth any of the origional members. These guys now have a few problams, the biggest being Spammy. But those dudes touched me 25 yrs. ago in a way that changed the way i play and live for music.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I see you and I hear you, Musicmann. No offense at all, I certainly wouldn't thrust the title of sheep onto anybody (unless, of course, they really are, lol).

These guys touched me too, I know full well what you're saying - I came onboard back in 1984 myself, and I think a lot of the personal attacks and insults towards them are probably due to the years of seemingly endless frustration - I know in my personal conversations with fellow fans I've certainly flung enough insults at them myself, so I can't say I'm not guilty.

In a way, you're taking the high road, and that's mighty cool of ya - I doubt I could do it for long...

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If you are referring to me then we are cool my friend.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am and always will be for not stepping on anyone's opinion, I just think that when you start to nit pick every little detail about a band it seems to just get old real quick. And once again , don't get confused with what i'm saying, The shit that they are writing now is total crap and uninspiring to say the least.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am refering to you dude and everyone here. It's all good.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's all good MUSICMANN. No, you're not a sheep. And it IS sad to see what's happened to Van Halen. They went from the greatest thing since pussy or sliced bread to the band that recorded IT'S ABOUT TIME. Oh Lord, at least Zeppelin fans can remember Led Zeppelin without having to cringe half the time. When I think of Zeppelin, I think of four guys that respected each other. When Bonham died, they broke up because they couldn't imagine another drummer. Now, that's a class act. We could never expect such respect from the flying Dutchmen.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Your right, The first thing is they should have never got off the horse so to spaek. I cringe eveytime i think , if those dudes would have just ckecked their ego's at the door and would have if not became great friends, that is very hard to do in a band let alone a very successful band, but just respected each other and realized that the whole is way bigger that the peice and just wrote and played music, we would still be seeing Vh today.

Dave IS VH
    Its not Van Halen I hate, its Sammy Hagar I hate.

Van Halen rocked with Dave, Eddies guitar playing was even better with Dave in the band, but when Sammy walked in he fucking ruin that band. He took a great rock band and turned them into a pop and soft rock band with love in every song.

I'm also pissed VH choose sammy instead of Dave. When 95% of the fans wanted Dave back for a reunion. It's quite simple!!

Van Halen with Dave (the greatest band of all time)

Van Halen with Sammy (not as good)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think these guys suck at the moment. Although EVH seems to
    be really trying. I like that its a good sign. Old Dave songs at
    sound checks etc... Maybe its not over yet ???

I would put these guys back on their pedestal in a moment,
    if they respected us, the fans.

Until Dave is back, its doomed to mediocrity..

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    I think these guys suck at the moment. Although EVH seems to
    be really trying. I like that its a good sign. Old Dave songs at
    sound checks etc... Maybe its not over yet ???

I would put these guys back on their pedestal in a moment,
    if they respected us, the fans.

Until Dave is back, its doomed to mediocrity..
    well said Pana...

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2012 @ 12:05 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I couldn't agree more with the above sentiments re. the greatness of Van Halen - all of the band members. Furthermore, the reply that he/she should be relegated to a "sheep pin" is absolutely pathetic.

For the record, I am a huge fan of DLR. Additionally, I believe the caliber of music with Dave was significantly better than anything post-Dave (Sammy, Gary, whomever).

The above said, we must all acknowledge the real reason why Dave isn't touring with the band. The bottom line is despite the fact that Dave is in much higher demand and the tour would have been infinitely more lucrative, these guys hate each other, and they all (including Dave) have egos, which got in the way.

guwapo_rocker
    Van Halen has always been my #1 band.

Van Halen has always been to me, an amazing lead

singer(DLR) an amazing Guitarist(EVH) an average drummer(AVH)

and a very very lucky bass player(MA).

If you think I am less of a fan because I do not think Alice and

Minka are amazing, you are a fucking moron.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It's a sight huh? What are we looking at?!

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    08-20-2016 @ 03:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
    Van Halen has always been my #1 band.

Van Halen has always been to me, an amazing lead

singer(DLR) an amazing Guitarist(EVH) an average drummer(AVH)

and a very very lucky bass player(MA).

If you think I am less of a fan because I do not think Alice and

Minka are amazing, you are a fucking moron.
    I'm the same way bro.

Dave era: Dug Ed and Dave. Never cared for Al or Mike. 1/2 the band.

Sam era: Dug Ed. Never cared for Sam, Al, Mike. 1/4 the band.

If it wasn't for Eddie Van Halen, Michael Anthony would be managing a fuckin' car wash.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Web-site !!! C'mon guys !! Its easy

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Thumbs down

1978-1985 I was a HUGE VAN HALEN FAN!!!! They were my favorite band, followed closely by LED ZEPPELIN.
    I bought any & everything that related to the band. I've got the siz pack on vinyl, cassette, and CD for FUCKS SAKE!!!!!
    Numerous posters, t-shirts, magazines, books, etc
    Started playing guitar in 1984
    EVH BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON MY GENERATION OF GUITAR PLAYERS!!!!

1985-1996
    Before the DEBACLE of 1996 I:
    WAS A HUGE EVH FAN
    Tolerated the existence of Van Hagar
    Had no malice in my heart for the Van Halen Sisters
    Rarely even THOUGHT about a reunion with DAVE, only Dreamed that ONE DAY........
    Rarely ragged on the band, accepted that this is how it was gonna be.
    Encouraged friends of mine, who were SHEEP, to go check 'em out live 'cause I knew they still ROCKED.

POST 1996:
    REALIZE the problems with the band STARTS AND ENDS WITH THE VAN HALEN SISTERS!
    Realized that they were doing the SAME hatchet job on Spammy they did to DAVE!
    Realized that they HAD NO RESPECT OR REGARD FOR THEIR FANS!!!!
    I still LOVE the CLASSIC VAN HALEN music, but I am TOO old and 'been 'round the block enough times to be HERO worshipin' ANYBODY!!!! It ain't MY FIRST RODEO!!!!!
    I've been a fan since back in THE DAY, and remain so now....but realize that the brothers have become BUSINESSMEN/ROCKSTARS and don't relate/care about the general public.

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-03-2009 @ 07:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Rikk
    When I think of Zeppelin, I think of four guys that respected each other. When Bonham died, they broke up because they couldn't imagine another drummer. Now, that's a class act. We could never expect such respect from the flying Dutchmen.
    You're right, it was an amazing example of respect on Zep's part.

However, I think Plant screwed the Zep fans when he refused to 'reunite Zep' on a full scale by NOT hiring Jason Bonham full time. For gawd's sakes, he's the man's son! We're not talking about a fan or a drummer of equal value (if such a person exists). We're talking about Bonzo's own flesh and blood!!! And it's not like his son's a lawyer or PR guy, he's a freakin' drummer that knows his father's stuff better than the remaining members, according to Jimmy Page!!!

I'm sure you can use your imagination with the magnitude of a 'Zeppelin Reunion' with Jason Bonham on skins....holy shit!

Talk about sold out everywhere for the next 5 years!!!

Beatles coulda done it too, if it wasn't for Yoko Oh-No.
    If the Beatles toured as like a 'Beatles 21st Century' with Paul, Ringo, George and Julian Lennon.....another sold out extravaganza.

And if you've heard Julian's stuff, you'll know that he has his father's musical genius in him, unlike Sean Lennon, who inherited shit from Mama Oh-No.

So what does Zeppelin, Beatles and Halen all have in common?

The real fans have been screwed by bandmembers' egos.

Period.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
    You're right, it was an amazing example of respect on Zep's part.

However, I think Plant screwed the Zep fans when he refused to 'reunite Zep' on a full scale by NOT hiring Jason Bonham full time. For gawd's sakes, he's the man's son! We're not talking about a fan or a drummer of equal value (if such a person exists). We're talking about Bonzo's own flesh and blood!!! And it's not like his son's a lawyer or PR guy, he's a freakin' drummer that knows his father's stuff better than the remaining members, according to Jimmy Page!!!

I'm sure you can use your imagination with the magnitude of a 'Zeppelin Reunion' with Jason Bonham on skins....holy shit!

Talk about sold out everywhere for the next 5 years!!!

Beatles coulda done it too, if it wasn't for Yoko Oh-No.
    If the Beatles toured as like a 'Beatles 21st Century' with Paul, Ringo, George and Julian Lennon.....another sold out extravaganza.

And if you've heard Julian's stuff, you'll know that he has his father's musical genius in him, unlike Sean Lennon, who inherited shit from Mama Oh-No.

So what does Zeppelin, Beatles and Halen all have in common?

The real fans have been screwed by bandmembers' egos.

Period.
    Ya got MY vote Bro!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Not a case of if Ed, Al and Mike are able to play as well as they used to when Roth was with them, but WHAT THEY ARE PLAYINg.

This whole "you're only a true Van Halen fan if you like everything they ever did" is grammar school nonsense. The kind of meaningless, illogical bullshit you used to hear during recess.

I have as yet to see a post from ANYONE here, sheep or otherwise, who said that EVH, AVH and MA were terrible or lackluster players from the get-go, so not quite sure what the fuck you're even bitching about there (are YOU?)

I was there digging the music from 1978 through 1984. Saw the classic lineup live. To have you tell me that because I didn't like what was done under the name Van Halen after Roth left therefore I wasn't a fan to begin with............

.............go crawl back up your mother's cunt.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dude i never said anything about having to like Vh aftr Dave left. I surely don't like the direction they went after he was gone ,What i said was, micromanaging a band that we all love to the point of getting sick, takes away from the fun of just sitting back and remembering and hoping those guys can return to their former glory. And i am sorry, it's a web-site.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Let me explain a little more. Talking shit about the members of VH, i mean classic vh, to me there is no other. IF this would have been the real reunion, no one here would be talking shit about those guys. Everyone would be as happy as when they got their first piece of ass. I am just trying to say that i love VH, i love the stuff Dave put out solo, i still love ED,AL and mike. Sammy is a dickless piece of no lyric, cat shitting, nails on a wall singing fuckstick. VH at this moment needs Dave to give these guys a wakeup call. Through all the stuff i may diagree on that VH is doing now i am not going to sit and just talk shit about those guys. I will take the high road, think of it this way, you may talk shit now, but sooner or later you make just have to take a bite out of your own shit sandwich.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2024 @ 10:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Only one member of Van Halen is even considered in the top ten playing his instrrument, and that's Ed.

Mike has never been in the top twenty bass players. Great bass players would be the McCartneys, Entwhistles or even the Fleas of the world.

Al in his prime usually hung around the top twenty somewheres, but he's nowhere near a Moon, Peart, or Bonham.

It's delusional to consider VH the most talented musicians in the world.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So if Ed is the only one, then Dave must not be in the class with plant or scott. All those guys you just mentioned are in legendary bands, they were a part of the whole sum. So to come to a Dave/vh site and say that these guys were hackers to me is downgrading classic VH to no more than guys that got real lucky. That is what this whole thread is about. How can you love a band and praise them for their accomplishment's, then say that this one or that one sucked at their respected insrtument . IF VH , the origional 4 were not some of the most talented musicians in the world, then why and how has their legacy lived for so long and for them also to be considered in the top 5 all time hard rock acts. This is what's so confusing to me, people here praise Dave And classic VH and then turn around and say these guys were just ok musicians. Seems like a flip flop way of thinking to me.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My take...

Edward was (maybe still IS, I don't know) an OUTSTANDING, WORLD CLASS GUITARIST. However, Guitar Magazine quit giving him "Player of the Year" awards in 1986. I believe the reasoning behind that is because Edward forgot how to play, due to the reasons of needing to sound more like Foreigner...insert shrug here...

Mike, same thing - I think he was an outstanding bassist (if not Jaco by any means) for the first six albums, and he was always doing something that sounded cool at some point on any given record in the six pack. 5150 and thereafter, I, as a bassist, am uninspired listening to him. Repetative bass lines on all records thereafter and nothing that made me scratch my head and go "What the fuck is this thing here, now?"

Alex - Never thought he was a really superb drummer to begin with (for that, I look at guys like Neil Peart, Cozy Powell, Keith Moon, Carmine Appice, Carl Palmer, et al). However, with the slowed-down, more radio friendly material, I've even less interested.

Are they top notch musicians? Sure, but only when they're MOTIVATED to be.

Thread Information