X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Web-site !!! C'mon guys !! Its easy
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

1978-1985 I was a HUGE VAN HALEN FAN!!!! They were my favorite band, followed closely by LED ZEPPELIN.
      I bought any & everything that related to the band. I've got the siz pack on vinyl, cassette, and CD for FUCKS SAKE!!!!!
      Numerous posters, t-shirts, magazines, books, etc
      Started playing guitar in 1984
      EVH BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON MY GENERATION OF GUITAR PLAYERS!!!!

1985-1996
      Before the DEBACLE of 1996 I:
      WAS A HUGE EVH FAN
      Tolerated the existence of Van Hagar
      Had no malice in my heart for the Van Halen Sisters
      Rarely even THOUGHT about a reunion with DAVE, only Dreamed that ONE DAY........
      Rarely ragged on the band, accepted that this is how it was gonna be.
      Encouraged friends of mine, who were SHEEP, to go check 'em out live 'cause I knew they still ROCKED.

POST 1996:
      REALIZE the problems with the band STARTS AND ENDS WITH THE VAN HALEN SISTERS!
      Realized that they were doing the SAME hatchet job on Spammy they did to DAVE!
      Realized that they HAD NO RESPECT OR REGARD FOR THEIR FANS!!!!
      I still LOVE the CLASSIC VAN HALEN music, but I am TOO old and 'been 'round the block enough times to be HERO worshipin' ANYBODY!!!! It ain't MY FIRST RODEO!!!!!
      I've been a fan since back in THE DAY, and remain so now....but realize that the brothers have become BUSINESSMEN/ROCKSTARS and don't relate/care about the general public.

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
        When I think of Zeppelin, I think of four guys that respected each other. When Bonham died, they broke up because they couldn't imagine another drummer. Now, that's a class act. We could never expect such respect from the flying Dutchmen.
        You're right, it was an amazing example of respect on Zep's part.

However, I think Plant screwed the Zep fans when he refused to 'reunite Zep' on a full scale by NOT hiring Jason Bonham full time. For gawd's sakes, he's the man's son! We're not talking about a fan or a drummer of equal value (if such a person exists). We're talking about Bonzo's own flesh and blood!!! And it's not like his son's a lawyer or PR guy, he's a freakin' drummer that knows his father's stuff better than the remaining members, according to Jimmy Page!!!

I'm sure you can use your imagination with the magnitude of a 'Zeppelin Reunion' with Jason Bonham on skins....holy shit!

Talk about sold out everywhere for the next 5 years!!!

Beatles coulda done it too, if it wasn't for Yoko Oh-No.
        If the Beatles toured as like a 'Beatles 21st Century' with Paul, Ringo, George and Julian Lennon.....another sold out extravaganza.

And if you've heard Julian's stuff, you'll know that he has his father's musical genius in him, unlike Sean Lennon, who inherited shit from Mama Oh-No.

So what does Zeppelin, Beatles and Halen all have in common?

The real fans have been screwed by bandmembers' egos.

Period.
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
          You're right, it was an amazing example of respect on Zep's part.

However, I think Plant screwed the Zep fans when he refused to 'reunite Zep' on a full scale by NOT hiring Jason Bonham full time. For gawd's sakes, he's the man's son! We're not talking about a fan or a drummer of equal value (if such a person exists). We're talking about Bonzo's own flesh and blood!!! And it's not like his son's a lawyer or PR guy, he's a freakin' drummer that knows his father's stuff better than the remaining members, according to Jimmy Page!!!

I'm sure you can use your imagination with the magnitude of a 'Zeppelin Reunion' with Jason Bonham on skins....holy shit!

Talk about sold out everywhere for the next 5 years!!!

Beatles coulda done it too, if it wasn't for Yoko Oh-No.
          If the Beatles toured as like a 'Beatles 21st Century' with Paul, Ringo, George and Julian Lennon.....another sold out extravaganza.

And if you've heard Julian's stuff, you'll know that he has his father's musical genius in him, unlike Sean Lennon, who inherited shit from Mama Oh-No.

So what does Zeppelin, Beatles and Halen all have in common?

The real fans have been screwed by bandmembers' egos.

Period.
          Ya got MY vote Bro!

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Not a case of if Ed, Al and Mike are able to play as well as they used to when Roth was with them, but WHAT THEY ARE PLAYINg.

This whole "you're only a true Van Halen fan if you like everything they ever did" is grammar school nonsense. The kind of meaningless, illogical bullshit you used to hear during recess.

I have as yet to see a post from ANYONE here, sheep or otherwise, who said that EVH, AVH and MA were terrible or lackluster players from the get-go, so not quite sure what the fuck you're even bitching about there (are YOU?)

I was there digging the music from 1978 through 1984. Saw the classic lineup live. To have you tell me that because I didn't like what was done under the name Van Halen after Roth left therefore I wasn't a fan to begin with............

.............go crawl back up your mother's cunt.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
              Sniper
              • Apr 2004

Dude i never said anything about having to like Vh aftr Dave left. I surely don't like the direction they went after he was gone ,What i said was, micromanaging a band that we all love to the point of getting sick, takes away from the fun of just sitting back and remembering and hoping those guys can return to their former glory. And i am sorry, it's a web-site.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                Sniper
                • Apr 2004

Let me explain a little more. Talking shit about the members of VH, i mean classic vh, to me there is no other. IF this would have been the real reunion, no one here would be talking shit about those guys. Everyone would be as happy as when they got their first piece of ass. I am just trying to say that i love VH, i love the stuff Dave put out solo, i still love ED,AL and mike. Sammy is a dickless piece of no lyric, cat shitting, nails on a wall singing fuckstick. VH at this moment needs Dave to give these guys a wakeup call. Through all the stuff i may diagree on that VH is doing now i am not going to sit and just talk shit about those guys. I will take the high road, think of it this way, you may talk shit now, but sooner or later you make just have to take a bite out of your own shit sandwich.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
                  Fuck all the sheep jokes to, I can take it like i can dish it out. If for one minute you think that i think all is well on the VH front your fucking wrong. The one thing i will never do is bash those guys talent. All four Of them were and still are the most talented fucking musicians on the planet. And i'm not talking once again about Ronald macdonald.
                  Only one member of Van Halen is even considered in the top ten playing his instrrument, and that's Ed.

Mike has never been in the top twenty bass players. Great bass players would be the McCartneys, Entwhistles or even the Fleas of the world.

Al in his prime usually hung around the top twenty somewheres, but he's nowhere near a Moon, Peart, or Bonham.

It's delusional to consider VH the most talented musicians in the world.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                    Sniper
                    • Apr 2004

So if Ed is the only one, then Dave must not be in the class with plant or scott. All those guys you just mentioned are in legendary bands, they were a part of the whole sum. So to come to a Dave/vh site and say that these guys were hackers to me is downgrading classic VH to no more than guys that got real lucky. That is what this whole thread is about. How can you love a band and praise them for their accomplishment's, then say that this one or that one sucked at their respected insrtument . IF VH , the origional 4 were not some of the most talented musicians in the world, then why and how has their legacy lived for so long and for them also to be considered in the top 5 all time hard rock acts. This is what's so confusing to me, people here praise Dave And classic VH and then turn around and say these guys were just ok musicians. Seems like a flip flop way of thinking to me.

Comment

• bueno bob
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

My take...

Edward was (maybe still IS, I don't know) an OUTSTANDING, WORLD CLASS GUITARIST. However, Guitar Magazine quit giving him "Player of the Year" awards in 1986. I believe the reasoning behind that is because Edward forgot how to play, due to the reasons of needing to sound more like Foreigner...insert shrug here...

Mike, same thing - I think he was an outstanding bassist (if not Jaco by any means) for the first six albums, and he was always doing something that sounded cool at some point on any given record in the six pack. 5150 and thereafter, I, as a bassist, am uninspired listening to him. Repetative bass lines on all records thereafter and nothing that made me scratch my head and go "What the fuck is this thing here, now?"

Alex - Never thought he was a really superb drummer to begin with (for that, I look at guys like Neil Peart, Cozy Powell, Keith Moon, Carmine Appice, Carl Palmer, et al). However, with the slowed-down, more radio friendly material, I've even less interested.

Are they top notch musicians? Sure, but only when they're MOTIVATED to be.
                      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                        Sniper
                        • Apr 2004

Great take on it dude.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: Can't be van Halen fans!!

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
                          All i read now on this sight is, Ed sucks, AL is the worst drummer ever and mike should be slapping his meat rather than slapping bass strings. All this shit sounds like a bunch of crap. Do you dudes even like or ever liked VH. I have never heard so many people rag and shit on the band that they are supposed to love. All people have their faults, the guys in VH, even Dave has faults. To go on and on how these guys were terrible and lackluster players, AL and MIKe, out the gate 30 yrs. ago is pure crap. And don't come back on me with, they could play then but their shit now. You never lose your ability to play when all your job in life is to play. These forums were always a loaded gun in my opinion, You start out with people coming to a place, talking how great this and that song was, how great the guys in the band were and are. But then after a shitload of micromanaging every little detail About Vh now you get, Ed didn't play that part of the solo like the record or Al always was a uninventive drummer and a big asshole, or Mike just shuts the fuck up and plays what Ed says to play. All this breaking down every little minute thing that these guys do really tarnishes the legacy that they have. It's real simple, either you love VH for what they were and are, And i'm not talking about Sammy,fuck him all togeither, or you were never a true Vh fan from the start.

So go away and leave us in our abyss of negativity. Thanks for playing...
                          Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Tom Foolery
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
                            So go away and leave us in our abyss of negativity. Thanks for playing...

I think you guys are great!
                            2005 Super Bowl Champions DENVER BRONCOS!!!
                            http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...USA_medium.jpg http://www.cyberdwarf.com/raiders_suck1.gif

Comment

• pete
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Tom Foolery
                              I think you guys are great!
                              That's the 1st correct thing you've said all day!

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
                                Sniper
                                • Apr 2004

It's like this. Van Halen is awesome as a unit. They kick ass because the parts fit. If you remove one of the four wheels of your car, the other wheels are screwed even if the tires are perfect. And, if you replace the wheel you lost with something other than the wheel that came off, the balance is never right. You're car may still be drivable, but you ain't gonna win the Grand Prix.

Comment

Working...