Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Here here, Rikk. Musicman, I can name you probably 50 other musicians off the top of my head that can give anybody in Van Halen a run for their money, past present and future. Basically, the reason (and forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, here, because I'm new to the board still) that so much is said about Ed, Al and Mike is because there's a real level of disgust and upset to what Van Halen has been turned into - basically, that's a band of self-gratified egomaniacs who are more than happy to accept 2nd best with themselves and their music. They're complacent, and we here at the DLR Army didn't see nor did we hear that complacency with Roth at the wheel. Doing the math and knowing the band like we do, we've come to the conclusion that Roth brought out the best in Van Halen and the Roth era is our era of choice - now and forever. Since this is a David Lee Roth/Classic Van Halen oriented site, and since the majority of users on this board share the same opinion in regards to that issue, debating the shortcomings of the Hagar era and debating the lack of musical (and personal) integrity that's come out of Van Halen during his (or that other guys) tenure with the band shouldn't be something that anyone here should have to look elsewhere to do.

On a personal note, if I say Mike's bass playing SUCKS compared to what he was pulling off in his earlier days, that's my personal opinion and my opinion as a practicing bassist myself. Now, if somebody wants to disagree with me on that, I'm more than willing to listen to an intelligent, drawn-out reply stating why that person disagrees with me.

Overwhelmingly, though, this site does appear to be a no-holds-barred site. No bullshit, straight up, piss on your parade deal. It seems to me that if anyone in present company doesn't want to read any "negativity" about Van Halen or the current state of affairs (being their music, business decisions, et al), then the links would be the first place to go, because there's very little of that to annoy anyone over there.

Just my two cents, and probably all it's worth, so take it as you will.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
      Sniper
      • Apr 2004

That's cool dude, I'm not a sheep. I am truly a 100% classic VH fan. IF there's one thing you will learn about me in reading some of my treads is, I will never bad mouth any of the origional members. These guys now have a few problams, the biggest being Spammy. But those dudes touched me 25 yrs. ago in a way that changed the way i play and live for music.

Comment

• bueno bob
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

I see you and I hear you, Musicmann. No offense at all, I certainly wouldn't thrust the title of sheep onto anybody (unless, of course, they really are, lol).

These guys touched me too, I know full well what you're saying - I came onboard back in 1984 myself, and I think a lot of the personal attacks and insults towards them are probably due to the years of seemingly endless frustration - I know in my personal conversations with fellow fans I've certainly flung enough insults at them myself, so I can't say I'm not guilty.

In a way, you're taking the high road, and that's mighty cool of ya - I doubt I could do it for long...
        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• shepherd
          Full On Cocktard
          • Aug 2004

If you are referring to me then we are cool my friend.
          So sayeth the shepherd. so fook the flock!

Comment

• MUSICMANN
            Sniper
            • Apr 2004

I am and always will be for not stepping on anyone's opinion, I just think that when you start to nit pick every little detail about a band it seems to just get old real quick. And once again , don't get confused with what i'm saying, The shit that they are writing now is total crap and uninspiring to say the least.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
              Sniper
              • Apr 2004

I am refering to you dude and everyone here. It's all good.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

It's all good MUSICMANN. No, you're not a sheep. And it IS sad to see what's happened to Van Halen. They went from the greatest thing since pussy or sliced bread to the band that recorded IT'S ABOUT TIME. Oh Lord, at least Zeppelin fans can remember Led Zeppelin without having to cringe half the time. When I think of Zeppelin, I think of four guys that respected each other. When Bonham died, they broke up because they couldn't imagine another drummer. Now, that's a class act. We could never expect such respect from the flying Dutchmen.
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                  Sniper
                  • Apr 2004

Your right, The first thing is they should have never got off the horse so to spaek. I cringe eveytime i think , if those dudes would have just ckecked their ego's at the door and would have if not became great friends, that is very hard to do in a band let alone a very successful band, but just respected each other and realized that the whole is way bigger that the peice and just wrote and played music, we would still be seeing Vh today.

Comment

• Dave IS VH

Its not Van Halen I hate, its Sammy Hagar I hate.

Van Halen rocked with Dave, Eddies guitar playing was even better with Dave in the band, but when Sammy walked in he fucking ruin that band. He took a great rock band and turned them into a pop and soft rock band with love in every song.

I'm also pissed VH choose sammy instead of Dave. When 95% of the fans wanted Dave back for a reunion. It's quite simple!!

Van Halen with Dave (the greatest band of all time)

Van Halen with Sammy (not as good)

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I think these guys suck at the moment. Although EVH seems to
                      be really trying. I like that its a good sign. Old Dave songs at
                      sound checks etc... Maybe its not over yet ???

I would put these guys back on their pedestal in a moment,
                      if they respected us, the fans.

Until Dave is back, its doomed to mediocrity..
                      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Carmine
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                        I think these guys suck at the moment. Although EVH seems to
                        be really trying. I like that its a good sign. Old Dave songs at
                        sound checks etc... Maybe its not over yet ???

I would put these guys back on their pedestal in a moment,
                        if they respected us, the fans.

Until Dave is back, its doomed to mediocrity..
                        well said Pana...

Comment

• alsip
                          Groupie
                          • Jul 2004

I couldn't agree more with the above sentiments re. the greatness of Van Halen - all of the band members. Furthermore, the reply that he/she should be relegated to a "sheep pin" is absolutely pathetic.

For the record, I am a huge fan of DLR. Additionally, I believe the caliber of music with Dave was significantly better than anything post-Dave (Sammy, Gary, whomever).

The above said, we must all acknowledge the real reason why Dave isn't touring with the band. The bottom line is despite the fact that Dave is in much higher demand and the tour would have been infinitely more lucrative, these guys hate each other, and they all (including Dave) have egos, which got in the way.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Van Halen has always been my #1 band.

Van Halen has always been to me, an amazing lead

singer(DLR) an amazing Guitarist(EVH) an average drummer(AVH)

and a very very lucky bass player(MA).

If you think I am less of a fan because I do not think Alice and

Minka are amazing, you are a fucking moron.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
                              It's a fucking Dave-classic VH sight dude.
                              It's a sight huh? What are we looking at?!

Comment

• Bob_R
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                                Van Halen has always been my #1 band.

Van Halen has always been to me, an amazing lead

singer(DLR) an amazing Guitarist(EVH) an average drummer(AVH)

and a very very lucky bass player(MA).

If you think I am less of a fan because I do not think Alice and

Minka are amazing, you are a fucking moron.
                                I'm the same way bro.

Dave era: Dug Ed and Dave. Never cared for Al or Mike. 1/2 the band.

Sam era: Dug Ed. Never cared for Sam, Al, Mike. 1/4 the band.

If it wasn't for Eddie Van Halen, Michael Anthony would be managing a fuckin' car wash.
                                Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

Working...