Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherone era blasted again.........

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Cherone era blasted again.........

Van Hagar is rolling(well Sammy will probably literally be rolling!) into town for two Bay Area shows here within the next week. To celebrate this historic moment in rock history , a local rock radio station is playing a Van Halen marathon on Tuesday. The title of the marathon is "Van Halen A-Z .....minus Gary C". Hey Ed, I thought within a few years people would start appreciating the record, ala Fair Warning. Guess that didnt pan out huh Ed?! My opinion is they should play the VH3 tracks, they are certainly no worse than that Van Hagar shit. Imagine sitting in the car and How Many Say I comes blasting through the speakers! They should of done it right and called it "Van Halen A-Z minus Gary and the C-U-N-T".
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Voice of Reason
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-29-2005 @ 04:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think that might be the worst CD i have ever bought. so dissapointing
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thank god I didnt buy that piece of shit. Sorry you wasted your hard earned cash on that.........At least Gary had respect for Dave, I'll give him that.

The Voice of Reason
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I will say, though no one can compare to dave singing his own tunes, Gary did a lot better than sam in concert with the dave tunes

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Tom Foolery
    I will say, though no one can compare to dave singing his own tunes, Gary did a lot better than sam in concert with the dave tunes
    I agree with you 100 percent on that. At least he was trying.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And Cherone actually WANTED to perform the classics, so you gotta respect him for that too.

The Voice of Reason
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Gary was a good guy caught up in the completely wrong band, Extreme is where that guy belongs

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

I was actually going to start a thread on a related topic...if Gary had joined the band in 1985, would things have been different? I'd say yes, and I'll give some good props to Gary for making the best of a really bad situation. Van Hagar fans had had ten years to get used to him, then the other 90% of the fanbase got all crazy-like over David and the whole 1996 fiasco...and then they announce Gary Cherone? Man, he was fucked from the get-go, and he had to have known it from jump street. No way ANYONE could have stepped into those shoes and walked out to the back porch, let alone a mile. Still, he made a good effort to perform David's material live, shit that people hadn't heard in YEARS - all because Spammy wouldn't do it because he apparently considers himself above it.

Now, had Gary joined in 1985, had NO PROBLEM with doing David's material and kept Van Halen going in the right direction musically (hard to say, the rest of the band was balls-out for Survivor ripoff material throughout the next five years), I think I, and a lot of other Van Halen fans, may actually be a lot happier than getting stuck with that other guy.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by bueno bob
    I was actually going to start a thread on a related topic...if Gary had joined the band in 1985, would things have been different? I'd say yes, and I'll give some good props to Gary for making the best of a really bad situation. Van Hagar fans had had ten years to get used to him, then the other 90% of the fanbase got all crazy-like over David and the whole 1996 fiasco...and then they announce Gary Cherone? Man, he was fucked from the get-go, and he had to have known it from jump street. No way ANYONE could have stepped into those shoes and walked out to the back porch, let alone a mile. Still, he made a good effort to perform David's material live, shit that people hadn't heard in YEARS - all because Spammy wouldn't do it because he apparently considers himself above it.

Now, had Gary joined in 1985, had NO PROBLEM with doing David's material and kept Van Halen going in the right direction musically (hard to say, the rest of the band was balls-out for Survivor ripoff material throughout the next five years), I think I, and a lot of other Van Halen fans, may actually be a lot happier than getting stuck with that other guy.
    I agree. I still can't believe how they completely abandoned the Dave era and that amazing catalog of songs. I have a lot more respect for Cherone than I will ever have for Hagar. Gary worked his ass off and was humble, while Spam strolled in and acted like he fucking owned the place.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2006 @ 03:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Gary has a lot more class than Hagar, Like what was said above he walked into a no win situation.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-11-2004 @ 05:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Classic Van Halen is way out of Roy's league.
    props to Gary for giving it his best shot.
    Last edited by Roth-of-Halen; 08-09-2004 at 05:40 AM.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2010 @ 04:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sorry, but Gary wouldn't have lasted any longer in '85 than he did in the 90's.
    Let's not forget Dave's influence in VH.
    We would all be saying similar things about Gary today as we do about Spammy, except all the Butt Pirate jokes would be legit.

I'll say he did the Dave era justice, but man, he was squirming all over the stage like a homo in Ultra-Heat and that was just unacceptable for any VH fan to have had to witness.

Sorry, i just don't agree that he'd have had it any better in the 80's.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree with him prancing around the stage. He did in Chicago, and it was embarrassing for Van Halen. He did sing the Roth tunes, but the dancing around was overbearing.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-13-2011 @ 07:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw Gary in Berlin Germany with Van Halen. He sounded a lot like Hagar strange enough. The best thing? The Roth era songs. Man they rocked. The worst the man dancing. It was very bad. I thought ohh my god! If I had closed my eyes the night would have rocked. Gary was faggier than Liberace at a male Greek bath house.

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-03-2009 @ 07:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
    Van Hagar is rolling(well Sammy will probably literally be rolling!) into town for two Bay Area shows here within the next week. To celebrate this historic moment in rock history , a local rock radio station is playing a Van Halen marathon on Tuesday. The title of the marathon is "Van Halen A-Z .....minus Gary C". Hey Ed, I thought within a few years people would start appreciating the record, ala Fair Warning. Guess that didnt pan out huh Ed?! My opinion is they should play the VH3 tracks, they are certainly no worse than that Van Hagar shit. Imagine sitting in the car and How Many Say I comes blasting through the speakers! They should of done it right and called it "Van Halen A-Z minus Gary and the C-U-N-T".
    .....said it before, and I'll say it again...Gary's one of us, grew up on Roth era, and was offered the job, and took it. In my eyes, that means he did no wrong. True, if it ain't with Dave, it ain't VH....but I can't blame Gary for being offered the job and saying yes. He did his best, and VH3 is as a result of his musical chemistry with EVH.

If you really wanna hear what Gary can do, his best work is in the first 2 Extreme Albums. They obviously sound a lot like Classic VH. For example, 'utha, Don't Wanna Go To School Today'sounds like Unchained in the beginning...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2005 @ 07:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

CHERONE ALBUM NOT MUCH DIFFERENT

The one stupid thing about the Cherone era of VH is the Hagar clowns complaining relentlessly about him. The damn fact of the matter is HE SOUNDS VERY SIMILAR TO HAGAR. And the album itself also doesn't sound that different than what they did with Hagar for the most part. Songs like "One I Want" , "Fire In The Hole", "Once", & "Dirty Water Dog" sound just like the shit they always did with Hagar. Yet the Hagar fans seemed to hate him. At least with DLR fans it's more justified. We never liked Hagar so why in the hell would we like a wannabe Hagar. There were a couple of tunes that were pretty experimental for VH but all in all the album certainly sounded like something they could and would have done with Hagar. The VHagar sheep just didn't like it because it wasn't their overweight hero singing those mediocre songs. If Hagar had been in the band and recoreded those songs the morons at the links WOULD NOT be saying the album sucked. Trust me.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2005 @ 01:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Re: CHERONE ALBUM NOT MUCH DIFFERENT

Originally posted by Thetruthbaby
    The one stupid thing about the Cherone era of VH is the Hagar clowns complaining relentlessly about him. The damn fact of the matter is HE SOUNDS VERY SIMILAR TO HAGAR. And the album itself also doesn't sound that different than what they did with Hagar for the most part. Songs like "One I Want" , "Fire In The Hole", "Once", & "Dirty Water Dog" sound just like the shit they always did with Hagar. Yet the Hagar fans seemed to hate him. At least with DLR fans it's more justified. We never liked Hagar so why in the hell would we like a wannabe Hagar. There were a couple of tunes that were pretty experimental for VH but all in all the album certainly sounded like something they could and would have done with Hagar. The VHagar sheep just didn't like it because it wasn't their overweight hero singing those mediocre songs. If Hagar had been in the band and recoreded those songs the morons at the links WOULD NOT be saying the album sucked. Trust me.
    agree 100%!!!!!!!

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2010 @ 04:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Re: Cherone era blasted again.........

Van Hagar is rolling(well Sammy will probably literally be rolling!) into town for two Bay Area shows here within the next week.
    Hey Bill, we should show up outside the San Jose and Oakland shows and give sheep the finger.

Mezro...I did give Sam the finger about 20 times when he played that free outdoor show in SF 2 years ago...he kept pointing at me like a tough grandpa and I kept flipping him off...

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-03-2009 @ 07:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Mezro
    Hey Bill, we should show up outside the San Jose and Oakland shows and give sheep the finger.

Mezro...I did give Sam the finger about 20 times when he played that free outdoor show in SF 2 years ago...he kept pointing at me like a tough grandpa and I kept flipping him off...
    lol now that's funny.....are you serious, Mezro?

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh, I'd be all for that. Just imagine these pussy whipped losers yelling "We just wanna rock at a reasonable volume........stop spoiling our fun! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
    lol now that's funny.....are you serious, Mezro?
    I'm serious about flipping off sheep and I had a great time flipping off Sam.

Mezro...i had on an EEAS tour shirt so Sam knew what I was all about...

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh, I'd be all for that. Just imagine these pussy whipped losers yelling "We just wanna rock at a reasonable volume........stop spoiling our fun! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
    Attention please, attention: this is off topic a bit-

Hey Bill, have you ever checked out the Dave era tribute band Hot For Teacher? These guys play all over the bay area and are balls out amazing!

Mezro...www.hftrocks.com check out some of the audio samples...

Princess of Darkness
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2005 @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs down

VH3... What a waste of everyones time.:p

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

VH3 is a fucking SHAME. Shame on Ed for putting out such NONSENSE!! It could've been Gary's fault too, but Ed's the one that allowed him in, so ULTIMATELY, all the blame's on him...

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Attention please, attention: this is off topic a bit-

Hey Bill, have you ever checked out the Dave era tribute band Hot For Teacher? These guys play all over the bay area and are balls out amazing!

Mezro...www.hftrocks.com check out some of the audio samples...
    They actually had a show tonight here in San Jose as well. Wasnt able to attend though.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2005 @ 02:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sorry - but "From Afar" is better than any Van Hagar tune. If we accept the premise that Cherone was a Hagar sound-alike (though raspier and more grinding, if that's possible) then Van Halen III is better than any Hagar record simply because the lyrics aren't as bad.

Of course "Ballot or the Bullet" and "One I Want" are easily as bad as the worse Van Hagar.

What I really hate in Up For Breakfast is that squelling little bridge that's sung in harmony. It only lasts a few seconds, but it kind of highlights why Hagar is such a shitty musician. It's like an electric drill bit in the ear.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    09-09-2010 @ 01:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but I don't even think Dave could have saved VH 3. I'm no fan of Gary's, but the music on that album is shit.

On almost every Van Halen album, there's a brief moment where Ed gives me chills with a guitar riff or solo...and that album is completely chill free. There's not a single song that is even listenable.

don't fault the singer, fault the alcoholic who wrote the damn tunes.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-19-2006 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think the reason Dave era fans hate Sam and why Sam era fans hate Gary is simple. Hagar fans didnt want Sam to leave, so they automatically hate the guy taking his job. Same with Dave. This may result in ridicule, but i dont think VH3 is all that bad. Granted that its the worst VH album, including Hagar, its not bad. I read an interview a while back with Gary and he said had he and the boys waited to make the album after the tour that things would have been a lot different. That they would have done the feelin out process and the chemistry would have been different. WOulda been intersteing to hear Van Halen 3 part 2?

Crazy Ass Mofo

Member No
    Last Online
    05-06-2023 @ 04:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think that might be the worst CD i have ever bought. so dissapointing
    "A year to the day" beats every Van Hagar song ever.

Of course it's not VH.

Like Van Hagar.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    09-13-2004 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Doesnt rehashing all this stuff day after day get a little old? You all hold such grudges its not even funny. I'm a fan of Dave & Sam but you all hold as much if not more hatred to Sam than the Democrats have to Bush! Everyones tone here is so negative and depressing. Does that make for good discussion? I'm just curious is all. Not trying to start shit by any means...I'm by no means excusing any PRO Sammy fans for how they act....

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

for all you "give gary props for trying..."-guys...go to www.erruption.com and watch the "unchained" vid from australia...will make you think about what you wrote ... this is so horrible...

The Voice of Reason
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
    for all you "give gary props for trying..."-guys...go to www.erruption.com and watch the "unchained" vid from australia...will make you think about what you wrote ... this is so horrible...
    I honestly think i am going to be sick.............What the FUCK was that?
    Last edited by Tom Foolery; 08-12-2004 at 04:14 AM.

The Voice of Reason
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by pete
    "A year to the day" beats every Van Hagar song ever.

Of course it's not VH.

Like Van Hagar.
    I've sworn off defending sammy here, but i could name a few van hagar tunes that would kick a year to the days ass, but im not defending sammy One i would say, that really has zero to do with sammy is Baluchitherium, maybe you can agree because it really isnt sammy, but that is a great song!
    Last edited by Tom Foolery; 08-12-2004 at 04:13 AM.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I honestly think i am goign to be sick.............What the FUCK was that?
    I told you so...

The Voice of Reason
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I told you so...
    Dude some of those hand motions were straight outta san francisco

The Voice of Reason
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ugh, i wish i would not have seen that

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

at least I'm happy you're not defending them ...

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Most hand motions out of San Francisco are the middle finger.

Mezro...I'll watch the video and see if Gary does the Denver dance...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-22-2012 @ 01:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

hey its better than sammy singing it. at least cherones got THAT goin for him.

actually i like gary better than sammy.
    without you is a great song.

Look, I'll pay ya for it!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2015 @ 07:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Haven't even bothered to listen to VH3... ...and after that video, I know I never will.

Thread Information