Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed Watch - The End Is Near.

guwapo_rocker

Ed Watch - The End Is Near.

Eddie Van Halen's off night mars band's comeback

By Tony Hicks

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Chew on this for a second, arena rock fans: Michael Anthony, charged-up rock centerpiece.

Even if Van Halen -- the inventors of arena rock methodology -- lost its aura of invincibility in the post-David Lee Roth years of the late '80s and '90s, the band convinced fans it still mattered. It was called bold attitude and inspired musicianship, despite waning material.

So despite uncharacteristic late-show missteps Tuesday night at HP Pavilion in San Jose, the crowd naturally gushed love and respect for guitar legend Eddie Van Halen, getting him emotional during his guitar solo.

But despite the lovefest and despite the buzz surrounding singer Sammy Hagar's first jaunt with the band in nearly a decade, something went wrong Tuesday night: Eddie Van Halen just wasn't right during the show's second half.

Instead of the patterned and characteristically innovative shredding and noise-making marking his solos for 25 years, Tuesday's performance was mostly a jumbled mess. Van Halen seemed to be missing cues during songs. He stood in place with his head down much of the night, looking tired.

Yeah, we should all look so tired with a full head of hair going shirtless at 49, after hip-replacement surgery and winning a bout with cancer. Nevertheless, Hagar and bassist Michael Anthony seemed determined to take up the on-stage slack and -- this is no knock against Anthony -- but when Van Halen's bassist is the on-stage spitfire of the group, something's not right.

Eddie Van Halen was his old bouncy self during opening song "Jump," one of a handful of Roth songs the band is playing this time around. Eschewing on-stage keyboards for prerecorded music, Eddie Van Halen seemed determined to be the effortless guitar God, especially early during "Run Around," and a thick "Humans Being." Hagar poured beer into upraised glasses from the crowd; all seemed right in the VH world..

Things wound down for Eddie once they returned from Anthony's old, thunderous bass solo, (during which, as always, he spent as much time drinking Jack Daniel's as he did laying). Anthony cleared his throat enough to scream through a superb concert-rarity from the Roth days, "Somebody Get Me a Doctor." After running the drill over the strings for "Poundcake," Van Halen started slowing down during a new song, "It's About Time." After a tight version of "Fair Warning" gem "Unchained," Van Halen spent most of "Why Can't This Be Love," back leaning against the drum riser.

The ultra-hyper Hagar had no such trouble. At 56, he sounds and behaves as if it's still 1977, with Anthony acting as his partner in mischief. After the inexplicable-set filler, the bland "Seventh Seal," and a so-so "Best of Both Worlds," came the part Van Halen fans always crave -- Eddie's solo. Only instead of the typical blues licks, wildly percussive fret tapping, and lightning-fast picking, a disjointed Eddie Van Halen mucked his way through sloppy noise and inexplicably long pauses. Occasionally he'd slide into some "Cathedral" volume-knob tampering or "Mean Street" pounding, but it was mostly 10 minutes of directionless time-filling.

It was puzzling. Eddie Van Halen re-invented rock guitar, and boredom has never even hinted at creeping into his solo repertoire. Most guitar players couldn't play a solo half as good as Van Halen's ugliest noise on his worst night, but anyone who knows better had to be disappointed. He looked tired and, during one interlude when the crowd went nuts, essentially thanking him for being Eddie Van Halen, he looked moved to the point of tears. Only then did he snap into the song "Eruption," for a minute or so.

From here, with Eddie in a funk, the sheer strength of weight of great material carried the band through. "Dreams" morphed into "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," during which Hagar (again) let someone in the crowd sing the Roth break-down. A big-screen show ensued for "Right Now," with the old video accompanied by new text, including "Right Now Van Halen is Kicking (Tail) in San Jose." Well, sort of. Encores "You Really Got Me," and "Panama," had enough drive, even if a mostly-immobile Eddie was a bit off on some cues. Show-ender "When It's Love," was anti-climactic by then.

After 30 years as a band, Van Halen can still defy age by playing the party gods to which we once worshipped. But Tuesday, its most important member was missing his groove, whether it was his hip, fatigue, or whatever, and, sadly, it showed. Hopefully it was only a blip on the bigger picture.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lou
    For the most part that was a good read.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2011 @ 11:41 AM
    Status
    Thanks

"when Van Halen's bassist is the on-stage spitfire of the group, something's not right."

lol
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

How many bad reviews can I read? So this is Bad Review # 1,000,000. No big shocker here, just the dead memories...

guwapo_rocker
    Originally posted by scottydabodi
    How many bad reviews can I read? So this is Bad Review # 1,000,000. No big shocker here, just the dead memories...
    I think it is a very telling review.

It is the first one where the auther has not mentioned how

happy Ed and the others looked and how they were having

the time of their lives.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2014 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Why do I keep reading these things?

your mom
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-24-2004 @ 09:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by TLR
    It's like the people lining up to see the "bearded lady" or "world's fattest woman" at a carnival... you can't help but look at these grotesque things... and Van Gaybar is CERTAINLY a grotesque thing

Crazy Ass Mofo

Member No
    Last Online
    05-06-2023 @ 04:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by scottydabodi
    I think the point many are missing is that nothing's gonna bring it back.

It's done.

So is Eddie.

RIP

your mom
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Roth kills Sam
    It's like the people lining up to see the "bearded lady" or "world's fattest woman" at a carnival... you can't help but look at these grotesque things... and Van Gaybar is CERTAINLY a grotesque thing
    I just realized that Van Gaybar HAS the "bearded lady" in the band already!!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Thumbs down

"But at the same time, he couldn't pull this stuff off live-there's no way he could sing "Magic" live. The low part, yeah, but the chorus-forget it, no way, and that still has nothing to do with why we're not doing it.IT WOULD BE RIPPING OFF OUR FANS. He has the AUDACITY to say we don't care about our fans. I CARE ABOUT OUR FANS, AND THAT'S WHY I WILL NOT DO IT. Some things are just better left to memory."
    EVH Guitar Magazine Jan 1997 pg.33 interview by H.P Newquist

HMMMM.........Karma perhaps?!? Or, once again, Ed van CRACKHEAD lying about DIAMOND DAVE. DAVE would rip off the fans, and DAVE cares about the fans. It's EASY to see who will go out on the road and put on a SUB-PAR performance night after night, just to pick up a check!!!!! Just as easy to figure that ED is the one who doesn't CARE about the fans. Funny, some of us have been saying THAT FOR YEARS!!!!!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

You would think after 25 years that someone would stop MA playing a bass solo.

What is the point of a mediocre bass player making farting noises for 5 minutes. You would throw him out a music shop for less.

Even a Billy Sheehan solo can be boring for fuck sake.

Cheers!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Makes sense...sort of like not being able to not look at a car accident.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I just realized that Van Gaybar HAS the "bearded lady" in the band already!!
    Bravo! *cha-ching*

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

i, and others have said this before, but......

why would anything be different with dave
    there instead of cheese-boy?
    ed is fucked. we all know that.

dave is better off far away from this train wreck.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    As a kid, I used to think Ed had Randy Rhodes "offed".

your mom
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    You would think after 25 years that someone would stop MA playing a bass solo.

What is the point of a mediocre bass player making farting noises for 5 minutes. You would throw him out a music shop for less.
    This is a simple and effective post that just earns a round of applause...

why INDEED has he not been stopped...?!?!?!?!??!

Not Full On Cocktard
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    09-02-2004 @ 12:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks

My wife and I went to the San Jose show last night. I couldn't have agreed more about Eddie. It seemed he almost cried during his solo when the crowd was applauding. I know I'm gonna take some shit, but we are huge Sammy fans as well as VH, both eras. MA solo might have been cool if I was in 6th grade, but it was pretty silly. Poor Eddie, we both thought he looked and sounded like he is on his last leg. Our thoughts and prayers are with him. He stood in one place all night, using a chord plugged in and not moving out of a 6 foot area. Sammy seems to have lost a few pounds, a few. MA is large! We felt the best part of the show was Sammy's solo. Please don't give me shit, we like what we like. The review was dead on, I'd rather see Sammy in Cabo with his own band. In my opinion, if you really like VH, even in the Roth era, go see them because I don't think Eddie is going to be around much longer. Even being huse Sammt fans, I would not pay to see them again. We'll wait til Sammy's back in Cabo. Unchained is a Roth song, but hell, they tried.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2010 @ 04:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I have to say that this review made me take a step back. before it was funny to laugh at Ed doing so baddy, but the way he is being described in damn near all of these reviews is really blowing me away, and not in a good way.
    All Spammy Attacks aside, doesn't it seem very strange to all of you that Ed is actually playing so badly? The man we have all watched for all these years just rip it up while being shit faced stoned and drunk?

I've seen him a bunch and he could barely walk, but he still tore the shit out of the guitar.
    He's hiding something and i have to agree that it tends to make me wonder if his health is really what he says it is.
    I mean, in some shots where MA or Spam is looking at him, it's as if they know he's fucking up but not saying anything and giving him this "It's Cool, Dude...Just try and keep it flowing" vibe.

I dunno, I just don't like what i'm reading and if the truth be known here, it sounds as though he was fresh out of a chemo treatment by the description of how his energy just dropped off during the show.

Fuck Spam in the ass, but something is just not adding up enough to explain Ed's performances this time around. It's not just being intoxicated that is the problem here.

Up yours, Will.
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-08-2006 @ 07:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by TLR

It's the fucking train-wreck syndrome, I tell ya!!! There's the engine and the caboose and cars all over the place....and would ya look at them body parts!!

Seriously Cat, I know what you mean - it's like AVH, MA and the spammer are pall-bearers for the living-dead EVH. :confused: A very sad state of affairs.

Not Full On Cocktard
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Easy, why all the Spam stuff? Have a waborita and relax. No seriously, Ed looked bad last night. It was sad. His shirt was off, and he looked like he has been working out, but he looked sick at the same time. We didn't know what to think. His playing was real bad, especially after seeing VH a zillion times. He even stumbled a few times. Maybe drunk? But it looked more than that. That dude was still chain smoking all night! It's too bad, I honestly think the greatest guitarist of all time is fading away, literally.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

maybe the old nervous system has finally reached a point
    where it's so overloaded, that he's physically losing
    control of himself?
    whereas before he could fly by wire?
    dunno, but it's sad when people pay to watch.

Not Full On Cocktard
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think people would pay to see if suffering, maybe because we all might not get another chance.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

btw, cathedral,
    thanx for the great stuff
    in the pic forum!!!
    you rock, man.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by fusdog
    I don't think people would pay to see if suffering, maybe because we all might not get another chance.
    yeah, what i was getting at was
    maybe some re-hab would have
    given you a presentable evh,
    not a zombie.
    very sad.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs down

I had/have NO interest in watching & listening to this TRAINWREAK!!!!
    Its like the EMPEROR has NO CLOTHES, and the SHEEP can't SEE IT!!!!!!
    That guy needs to GO HOME & CLEAN UP. OR, GET MEDICAL TREATMENT!!!! If he's in THAT bad of shape, just retire and enjoy what he's got left. NOBODY should WANT to see him if he's THAT FUCKED UP!!!!!

is fuckin' yer girlfriend
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 07:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Exactly the reason I'm going to Oakland. I want to see him play one last time. Hopefully he'll be in better shape after a couple of days rest here in the bay area.

Fabulous Shadow
    My wife and I went to the San Jose show last night. I couldn't have agreed more about Eddie. It seemed he almost cried during his solo when the crowd was applauding. I know I'm gonna take some shit, but we are huge Sammy fans as well as VH, both eras. MA solo might have been cool if I was in 6th grade, but it was pretty silly. Poor Eddie, we both thought he looked and sounded like he is on his last leg. Our thoughts and prayers are with him. He stood in one place all night, using a chord plugged in and not moving out of a 6 foot area. Sammy seems to have lost a few pounds, a few. MA is large! We felt the best part of the show was Sammy's solo. Please don't give me shit, we like what we like. The review was dead on, I'd rather see Sammy in Cabo with his own band. In my opinion, if you really like VH, even in the Roth era, go see them because I don't think Eddie is going to be around much longer. Even being huse Sammt fans, I would not pay to see them again. We'll wait til Sammy's back in Cabo. Unchained is a Roth song, but hell, they tried.
    I think Eddies tears during his solos are genuine. What I'm guessing is that after his bout with cancer and everything he's been through, it just feels really GOOD to him to out there playing and to hear that positive praise again! It's heart felt! What's wrong with that? In Vegas, people were cheering him on and standing up for him. Nobody cared if he messed up or not! He is EVH and we were all just happy to see him again!

Sammy LOST a few pounds? fusdog? ya know I luv ya but Sammy looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy! You gotta know it isn't easy for me to say that. I have taken the "Sammy ain't fat stand" for months now! But he's got a jelly belly and IMO he could have done something about it before the tour... He didn't and well... I guess he can deal with the fat jokes on his own from now on...:p As for his solo... I ain't knocking you for diggin it but IMO it put a big hole in the momentum!
    Slowed the pace, put us in our seats, and spoiled the mood... Took the boys a few songs to get us on our feet again... We used the Sammy solo the next night for a drink run... BTW~ Mona joined him on stage to sing "when Eagles Fly" Friday night in Vegas...

Mikey is still small... but he looks more "FIT"... His base solo IS as boring as it ever was... I HAVE to agree with sesh on this (trust me. I don't want to) but someone does need to tell MA that it's lame...

Alex... Well Alex is Alex... He's a great Drummer, he didn't miss a lick... I found it interesting that during his solo Eddie was bowing down in front of him like Alex was a GOD! I also found it intesting that the huge monitors on the screen were in black and white for Alex but in color on every one else... Hiding something???? Hmmmmm.....
    I also noticed that Alex is bald on top... It actualy looks like he sprays some of that color spay on top to hid his scalp and the combs what long hair he has back to camoflauge it...
    Last edited by Fabulous Shadow; 08-12-2004 at 12:20 AM.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

exactly, matt.
    going for the cash grab,
    while in serious trouble health-wise etc
    not a good move?
    then again, perhaps it's a last hurrah,
    cause he knows something we don't?
    hmmm....

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ashstralia
    btw, cathedral,
    thanx for the great stuff
    in the pic forum!!!
    you rock, man.
    You're welcome, i'm just getting started in there, lol.

i think Ed's physical appearance is due to heavy steroid use. probably to keep him looking healthy.
    Given what i'm seeing and reading, he's still in trouble.
    The fact that he is still smoking could be because he is terminal and doesn't see the point in giving up the excesses.

Call it the Freddy Mercury Syndrome...Say nothing until he's gone kind of thing.
    I dunno, it's all speculation, but his performance just isn't making sense to me.
    There has to be more to the story.
    And with Van Halen, ther always is a lot more to the story than anyone knows....am i wrong?

Fabulous Shadow
    Eddie actually fell Sat night in Vegas, a little stumble on his bum bum to the back of the stage, but I don't think he was drunk. I actually think he has something going on with his foot. Ya know that footless boot he's been wearin? Well sat night he had on a different pair of boots, some Frankt striped boots, and guess what? The toe was out of those too. Nice white sock poking out. I doubt it's a fashion statement... He is using a cord on his rig which does limit his running around. Sat he was jumping and hopping and bouncing all over the place... especially Sat. Sat it was like watching the old... young! EVH!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs down

IF that FUCKIN' GUY is CASHIN' IN HIS CHIPS and STILL won't bury the hatchet with DAVE........A sad LAST TESTIMONIAL to a sad INDIVIDUAL.

Not Full On Cocktard
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fab, Mikey looked way heavier than Sammy. I didn't Sammy was fit, just that he lost a few. C'mon, our beer runs were right after MA was banging is bass into the amp! Couldn't take that. Drum solo, well I rather get a drink, no disrespect to Al. Sam's solo was a part of Everybody Must Get Stoned, Eagles, and Hallelujiah. We liked it, but we are SHEEP, I guess. Vic was there as well. Fab, I'm tellin you, I honestly think Eddie is dying. Even old Diamond couldn't have saved that show. By the way, did you win any $ ?

Fabulous Shadow
    well Sammy must have added "everbody Must Get Stoned" to try and perk it up because he didn't do that either night in Vegas. The base solo is relatively short, at least not long enough for a beer run or a potty run... LOL besides, who'd want to miss MA pulling out the little bottle of JD :wink:

As for money... I lost $12.00

Not Full On Cocktard
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Beer lines were short. I even got my wife to have a few. I disagree with some of these guys getting on Sammy about not wanting to do DLR songs from VH. You know what a big Sam fan we are (SHEEP, I guess), but he can't pull off the Unchaineds of the the Roth era. He knew that. Can't fault him for that. I mean it was good to hear those songs, but they weren't the same. Did you win any $?

guwapo_rocker
    Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
    Eddie actually fell Sat night in Vegas, a little stumble on his bum bum to the back of the stage, but I don't think he was drunk. I actually think he has something going on with his foot. Ya know that footless boot he's been wearin? Well sat night he had on a different pair of boots, some Frankt striped boots, and guess what? The toe was out of those too. Nice white sock poking out. I doubt it's a fashion statement... He is using a cord on his rig which does limit his running around. Sat he was jumping and hopping and bouncing all over the place... especially Sat. Sat it was like watching the old... young! EVH!
    It's gout baby!
    By the way I miss you! MMMMMM Those nipples!!!

Not Full On Cocktard
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He stumbled a few times in San Jose.

Fabulous Shadow
    nah, I didnt win... I left Vegas 12.00 down...

Guwapo... Gout and my nipples have no business being in the same paragraph! :p

Fabulous Shadow
    You know what a big Sam fans we are (SHEEP, I guess?)
    Shhhhhhhh! People will HEAR you!!

In all honesty fusdog... I think you are a bigger Sammy fan than I am.
    I only like Sammy with Van Halen. I am not a fan of his solo stuff at all... Sorry Hun.

guwapo_rocker
    Originally posted by Cathedral
    I have to say that this review made me take a step back. before it was funny to laugh at Ed doing so baddy, but the way he is being described in damn near all of these reviews is really blowing me away, and not in a good way.
    All Spammy Attacks aside, doesn't it seem very strange to all of you that Ed is actually playing so badly? The man we have all watched for all these years just rip it up while being shit faced stoned and drunk?

I've seen him a bunch and he could barely walk, but he still tore the shit out of the guitar.
    He's hiding something and i have to agree that it tends to make me wonder if his health is really what he says it is.
    I mean, in some shots where MA or Spam is looking at him, it's as if they know he's fucking up but not saying anything and giving him this "It's Cool, Dude...Just try and keep it flowing" vibe.

I dunno, I just don't like what i'm reading and if the truth be known here, it sounds as though he was fresh out of a chemo treatment by the description of how his energy just dropped off during the show.

Fuck Spam in the ass, but something is just not adding up enough to explain Ed's performances this time around. It's not just being intoxicated that is the problem here.
    Yep, I posted months ago that it may be Ed's last tour due
    illness. I hope to god I am wrong.

I still think he is messed up on booze and pills, and I hope
    that is the reason for his performance because that can be
    helped while a terminal illness cannot.

Yes, all bashing aside, I hope it is Ed over indulging and
    not cancer. I have loved him since '78, and would not
    wish him physical harm.

Hopefully he just needs to grow up, be a man, face his addictions,
    and maybe, eventually, save his family, and his band.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
    Yep, I posted months ago that it may be Ed's last tour due
    illness. I hope to god I am wrong.

I still think he is messed up on booze and pills, and I hope
    that is the reason for his performance because that can be
    helped while a terminal illness cannot.

Yes, all bashing aside, I hope it is Ed over indulging and
    not cancer. I have loved him since '78, and would not
    wish him physical harm.

Hopefully he just needs to grow up, be a man, face his addictions,
    and maybe, eventually, save his family, and his band.
    Agreed...

Thread Information