Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabs Review~ Vegas 8/6/04

Fabulous Shadow

Fabs Review~ Vegas 8/6/04

I had mixed emotions about posting my Van Hagar review at the ARMY but I received alot of PM's from people asking me too.. so what the hell, Here it is...

Van Halen
    8/6/2004
    Las Vegas NV
    Mandalay Bay Events Center

Setlist:

Jump
    Runaround
    Humans Being
    MA Bass Solo
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Poundcake
    It’s About Time
    AVH Drum Solo
    Top Of The World
    Unchained
    Why Can’t This Be Love
    SH Solo Eagles Fly/ Hallelujah
    Seventh Seal
    BOBW
    EVH Guitar Solo w/ Wolfie
    Dreams
    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Right Now

Encore 1
    You Really Got Me
    Panama

Encore 2
    When It’s Love

Ok here it is folks… My FABulous review of night one in Vegas. As badly as I wanted to write to sparkling reviews of the two Van Halen shows I saw in Vegas, I have to admit I’m still not exactly sure what happened at the Aug 6th show…

The show was sold out! Everyone there seemed just as excited as we were to FINALLY be at Van Halen concert after such a long wait! Shinedown played… We missed that. Arriving in Vegas with just enough time to get to the hotel change clothes and get to our seats, we arrived just in time to hear the keyboard wailing the opening notes to JUMP! The crowd went WILD! It was LOUD! I was in Rock-n- Roll Heaven! I remember thanking God because Eddie’s hair was down. LOL. Eddie did a few flying Eddies, Sammy strolled the stage! Mike was Rocking, Al was pounding and then… It started going downhill…

Eddies was fiddling on his guitar and it sounded weird, I thought he might switch but he went on into Runaround anyway. It sounded BAD, but he still kept playing with the same guitar. Next they went into Humans Being… They started it SLOW… I was THRILLED! They had never played this live before! I grabbed Chelle! Grabbed Wolf! OMG! I could have cried if I let myself… But then I noticed… The guitar STILL sounded weird. But he played the whole song with it. It killed the vibe for me. Oh well… There’s still tomorrows show.

Mikeys solo was next. I never like Mikeys solos… SO…

Eddie came back after Mikey’s solo with a new guitar… The black and yellow striped one. (THANK GOD) They did a decent version of Somebody Get Me a Doctor in which Mikey sang and he did a damn good job! Sammy acted like he was fighting him for the mic. Sammy sang the chorus. Eddie played a little slow and off pace the entire song but Alex kept helping out with the drums. Next they did Poundcake and it was becoming clear that something was wrong with Eddie, his equipment, or both.

Alex did his drum solo, which I thought was pretty good. The crowd seemed to love it!
    He had a lot of energy and he clearly put it into banging those drums! When it was over Eddie went to the mic and spoke for the first time that night… He slurred… “Hey, It doesn’t get any fucking better than that!” and then he bowed to Al. His speech was impaired. Probably by the surgery… Some say it is because he was drunk. I don’t think he was. But I do think he was out of it.

The show went on… Mike and Sammy were having a ball up there and Eddie seemed to be just getting by. He seemed week, broken… LOST…

Guitar Solo… He comes to the mic and says… “I’m gonna fuck around for a few minutes” The crowd went NUTS! Then SILENT! He really made no attempts to do anything interesting but nobody cared, I didn’t, I was happy just to watch him. He played Cathedral, More noise, a little Eruption, more noise… Then he laid down on the stage and started 316 and that is when Wolfgang came out. It made me cry. I bet Eddie would have laid there all night. He seemed content just to lay there and play 316 with Wolfie!
    He finally got up and said “Wolfgang Van Halen just kicked my ass” The crowd gave um a big round of applause and Wolfie left the stage as Eddie watched until he could see him no more…

By this time it was apparent that this was going to be the state of the concert. Mikey and Sammy were holding the show together and Eddie was in a world all his own where Wolfie and Alex had starring but minor roles.

Sammy’s solo was ok. I’m not much into Sammy’s solo material. He admitted at the beginning of his solo that he and Mike missed their plane and missed sound check. His guitar sounded like it too. I wondered if there was bad blood because of that? Who knows? Mona Came on stage and sang backgrounds on Eagles Fly. (YAWN). I made a note to do a beer run during this set the next night and I did!

Sammy was signing stuff all night long for the fans. I thought that was cool! He was very careful about what he signed and I even saw him throw a few things back that he refused to sign. He did Ok and the ROTH tunes. The crowd LOVED hearing them! A few other times he turned the mic over to people in the pit to sing parts of the DLR classics. During Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, He gave the mic to a guy that went into a DLR impression "look at all the people here tonight I sayyyy" The guy went on with what Dave would have said and done during the middle of Panama and for a few seconds it was like the ghost of Dave had entered the arena and stolen his microphone back. The guy was cool and actually gave props to both Eddie and Sammy!

The set list was good. I would have liked to hear Finish What Ya Started though. They finished with When It's Love, which still strikes me as an odd choice for a closing number. But at the end of the show crowd was still fired up which IMO means they enjoyed the show. So as bad as it was… It was still Good! I went away wondering… was it me? I didn’t feel the MAGIC I used to feel when I saw Van Halen… Oh well, Maybe tomorrow night!

08/07/2004 & 8/16/2004 review & Pics coming soon… (I'll post it in the same thread...)

IN ROTH WE TRUST
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I had mixed emotions about posting my Van Hagar review at the ARMY but I received alot of PM's from people asking me too.. so what the hell, Here it is...

Van Halen
    8/6/2004
    Las Vegas NV
    Mandalay Bay Events Center

Setlist:

Jump
    Runaround
    Humans Being
    MA Bass Solo
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Poundcake
    It’s About Time
    AVH Drum Solo
    Top Of The World
    Unchained
    Why Can’t This Be Love
    SH Solo Eagles Fly/ Hallelujah
    Seventh Seal
    BOBW
    EVH Guitar Solo w/ Wolfie
    Dreams
    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Right Now

Encore 1
    You Really Got Me
    Panama

Encore 2
    When It’s Love

Ok here it is folks… My FABulous review of night one in Vegas. As badly as I wanted to write to sparkling reviews of the two Van Halen shows I saw in Vegas, I have to admit I’m still not exactly sure what happened at the Aug 6th show…

The show was sold out! Everyone there seemed just as excited as we were to FINALLY be at Van Halen concert after such a long wait! Shinedown played… We missed that. Arriving in Vegas with just enough time to get to the hotel change clothes and get to our seats, we arrived just in time to hear the keyboard wailing the opening notes to JUMP! The crowd went WILD! It was LOUD! I was in Rock-n- Roll Heaven! I remember thanking God because Eddie’s hair was down. LOL. Eddie did a few flying Eddies, Sammy strolled the stage! Mike was Rocking, Al was pounding and then… It started going downhill…

Eddies was fiddling on his guitar and it sounded weird, I thought he might switch but he went on into Runaround anyway. It sounded BAD, but he still kept playing with the same guitar. Next they went into Humans Being… They started it SLOW… I was THRILLED! They had never played this live before! I grabbed Chelle! Grabbed Wolf! OMG! I could have cried if I let myself… But then I noticed… The guitar STILL sounded weird. But he played the whole song with it. It killed the vibe for me. Oh well… There’s still tomorrows show.

Mikeys solo was next. I never like Mikeys solos… SO…

Eddie came back after Mikey’s solo with a new guitar… The black and yellow striped one. (THANK GOD) They did a decent version of Somebody Get Me a Doctor in which Mikey sang and he did a damn good job! Sammy acted like he was fighting him for the mic. Sammy sang the chorus. Eddie played a little slow and off pace the entire song but Alex kept helping out with the drums. Next they did Poundcake and it was becoming clear that something was wrong with Eddie, his equipment, or both.

Alex did his drum solo, which I thought was pretty good. The crowd seemed to love it!
    He had a lot of energy and he clearly put it into banging those drums! When it was over Eddie went to the mic and spoke for the first time that night… He slurred… “Hey, It doesn’t get any fucking better than that!” and then he bowed to Al. His speech was impaired. Probably by the surgery… Some say it is because he was drunk. I don’t think he was. But I do think he was out of it.

The show went on… Mike and Sammy were having a ball up there and Eddie seemed to be just getting by. He seemed week, broken… LOST…

Guitar Solo… He comes to the mic and says… “I’m gonna fuck around for a few minutes” The crowd went NUTS! Then SILENT! He really made no attempts to do anything interesting but nobody cared, I didn’t, I was happy just to watch him. He played Cathedral, More noise, a little Eruption, more noise… Then he laid down on the stage and started 316 and that is when Wolfgang came out. It made me cry. I bet Eddie would have laid there all night. He seemed content just to lay there and play 316 with Wolfie!
    He finally got up and said “Wolfgang Van Halen just kicked my ass” The crowd gave um a big round of applause and Wolfie left the stage as Eddie watched until he could see him no more…

By this time it was apparent that this was going to be the state of the concert. Mikey and Sammy were holding the show together and Eddie was in a world all his own where Wolfie and Alex had starring but minor roles.

Sammy’s solo was ok. I’m not much into Sammy’s solo material. He admitted at the beginning of his solo that he and Mike missed their plane and missed sound check. His guitar sounded like it too. I wondered if there was bad blood because of that? Who knows? Mona Came on stage and sang backgrounds on Eagles Fly. (YAWN). I made a note to do a beer run during this set the next night and I did!

Sammy was signing stuff all night long for the fans. I thought that was cool! He was very careful about what he signed and I even saw him throw a few things back that he refused to sign. He did Ok and the ROTH tunes. The crowd LOVED hearing them! A few other times he turned the mic over to people in the pit to sing parts of the DLR classics. During Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, He gave the mic to a guy that went into a DLR impression "look at all the people here tonight I sayyyy" The guy went on with what Dave would have said and done during the middle of Panama and for a few seconds it was like the ghost of Dave had entered the arena and stolen his microphone back. The guy was cool and actually gave props to both Eddie and Sammy!

The set list was good. I would have liked to hear Finish What Ya Started though. They finished with When It's Love, which still strikes me as an odd choice for a closing number. But at the end of the show crowd was still fired up which IMO means they enjoyed the show. So as bad as it was… It was still Good! I went away wondering… was it me? I didn’t feel the MAGIC I used to feel when I saw Van Halen… Oh well, Maybe tomorrow night!

08/07/2004 & 8/16/2004 review & Pics coming soon… (I'll post it in the same thread...)
    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Look, I'll pay ya for it!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Out of curiousity Fab, did you ever get a chance to see the original Van Halen Live? With Dave?
    Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Fabulous Shadow
    No, I only saw Dave on his own. Never with VH.

Formerly Tormented VH Fan
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
    No, I only saw Dave on his own. Never with VH.
    Same here. But we can still hope.
    Facebook: Chelle Marley

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, all I can say is THAT was MAGIC... ...and the loss of that after Sammy joined the band is why Dave supporters are such fierce supporters. If there was magic in the band after Sammy joined, it was a noticably lesser magic than what it was with Dave, and I imagine you are feeling a similar loss as we all did after seeing the post-Dave era VH...

...as a great man (Dave) once said "It's all over but the shouting.."

Now let's all hope he "comes to take what's his!"

Fabulous Shadow
    Keeyth...First off... I think you guys make a WAY bigger deal out of my Sammy "fanship" than it really is. I'm an ED fan... I like Sammy because I like Ed! (Sheep? ok) I was never a Sammy fan before he joined Van Halen... I was not sad when Sammy left Van Halen, in fact I, like most, was hopeful that it meant Dave would be back. I got my panties in a wad in 96 when DLR was on stage with VH at the VMAs and I was sad when it didn't pan out. When Cherone came on board I gave him a chance and when it didn't pan out, I admit... I hoped for Sammy's return. Not for the sake of Sammy, but for the sake of Van Halen... I wasn't liking what Dave was doing at that time... I didn't like his look and I was glad that Sammy was coming back... I still LONG for a classic Van Halen reunion, but I don't see it in the cards. I dont think Eddie and Dave will ever mesh... I love classic Van Halen. The 6 albums with Dave are the best there is but I just dont believe there is any turning back. Ed's finished IMO... I hate saying that. But I saw it with my own eyes...

Lou
    That is one fucking horrible setlist. I'd be pulling my hair out if I had to endure that.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why is this in Main???
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I got my panties in a wad
    Um, can I get your panties in a wad too??

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Keeyth...First off... I think you guys make a WAY bigger deal out of my Sammy "fanship" than it really is. I'm an ED fan... I like Sammy because I like Ed! (Sheep? ok) I was never a Sammy fan before he joined Van Halen... I was not sad when Sammy left Van Halen, in fact I, like most, was hopeful that it meant Dave would be back. I got my panties in a wad in 96 when DLR was on stage with VH at the VMAs and I was sad when it didn't pan out. When Cherone came on board I gave him a chance and when it didn't pan out, I admit... I hoped for Sammy's return. Not for the sake of Sammy, but for the sake of Van Halen... I wasn't liking what Dave was doing at that time... I didn't like his look and I was glad that Sammy was coming back... I still LONG for a classic Van Halen reunion, but I don't see it in the cards. I dont think Eddie and Dave will ever mesh... I love classic Van Halen. The 6 albums with Dave are the best there is but I just dont believe there is any turning back. Ed's finished IMO... I hate saying that. But I saw it with my own eyes...
    I wasn't making a big deal of your Sammy fanship... ...I was just trying to put an analogy together of the same type of feeling of the loss of magic between losing a great singer....

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    or band

Fabulous Shadow
    Ok, well I didnt feel a loss when Sammy left. I was actually hopefull that it was an IN for Dave... No harm Doll... I misunderstood!

Fabulous Shadow
    Originally posted by twonabomber
    :eek: STALKER! :eek:

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ok, well I didnt feel a loss when Sammy left. I was actually hopefull that it was an IN for Dave... No harm Doll... I misunderstood!
    no problem... ...but you should know I'm always on your side, babe! :bottle:

Fabulous Shadow
    Originally posted by Keeyth
    no problem... ...but you should know I'm always on your side, babe! :bottle:

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Halen..no no no, Van HAGAR
    8/6/2004
    Las Vegas NV
    Mandalay Boring Ass Band Center

Shitlist:

Jump - gotta Jump for your check Sam. You've got to open with a David Lee Roth era song Jabba! How's that for karma.

Runaround - real VH fans have been getting this for almost 20 years.

Humans Being - a Van Hagar audience: humanity is implied and humiliation is apparent.

MA Bass Solo - I love Michael Anthony's new solo CD Assh**e.
    What a great cover of Firestarter.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor - Fuck, I'd need a doctor to check that my mild duds are still swinging free if I actually paid to see Van Hagar.

Poundcake - what Sam pounds backstage during Al's solo along with 3 Costco pizzas, an institutional drum of Slim Jims and Michael Anthony's chub cock.

It’s About Time - yeah, it's about time that DAVID LEE ROTH returned and saved this fucking abortion!

AVH Drum Solo - I'm Mr. Spock and it is time for the Pon Far ceremony to begin. Watch as my roast beef ass mind melds with this drum stick.

Top Of The World - come over here young one and sit on top of Uncle Sam's festering world.

Unchained - Sing it Sam "I cannot get there from here baby, without a Rascal mobility scooter."

Why Can’t This Be Love - Sam and Michael: a beautiful domestic partnership hindered by parts not developed enough to fit

SH Solo Eagles Fly/ Hallelujah - Hallelujah!...I can finally piss and get a $12 pretzel. Hey, is that Val singing backup with Sam?

Seventh Seal - Picking at his rear molar with a toothpick Michael thinks "shit, I shouldn't have ate that seventh grilled seal over at Circus Circus."

BOBW - I'll take "What is a typical night for Sam Hagar with Ed Van Halen and Mona in His Bed?" for $500 Alex.

EVH Guitar Solo w/ Wolfie - Note to Eddie: pulling out really isn't that hard.

Dreams - keep dreaming that you are relevant Sam. Close your eyes and imagine all those people screaming for Dave are really chanting your name.

Aint Talkin Bout Love - Van Hagar 2004 North American Tour: Aint Talkin Bout Ticket Sales...Are Talkin Bout Half Filled Shows, Food Vouchers and a Frantic Clear Channel.

Right Now - a shift at Wahoo's Fish Taco is open for Sam.

Encore 1 (who the fuck wants more of this shit)

You Really Got Me - how Mikey has a regular bowel movement without Sam stimulating his anal fissure. I am the Fissure King, I can clamp down on anything!

Panama - Alex likes to reach down between Ed's legs and peel the beef sheath back. Hey, tastes like one note, drunken crab!

Encore 2 (feed ya some poo)

When It’s Love - you don't have 2 divided camps come together as a band and fool the fans. When it's love? More like when do we cash the check?

Mezro...4 grown men + 1 diluted band = a train wreck that will give you Bob Crane neck...
    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This has got to be the best review this crapfest has recieved so far.
    van gaygar should be proud of their astonishing accomplishments with the integrity of the music and their showmanship.
    Way to go Mez.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yet again, The Mez rules the house!!!!! Kickass post my partner in crime!!!!

SIZZZLIN" TO THA TOP!!!!!!!!!
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Fabs Review~ Vegas 8/6/04

I didn’t feel the MAGIC I used to feel when I saw Van Halen…

How many people napped during the concert? What a boring sounding show..... Ehhh..... You stated previously in this thread that you've never seen VH with Dave. So, technically you've NEVER seen Van Halen live. :p Well, I was fortunate enough to have seen them in my lifetime and believe me, this show sounds nothing like THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN that I witnessed.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX

What Max said.
    Napalm in the evening bro.....un-fucking-believable.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by rustoffa
    What Max said.

With a molotov cocktail chaser my bro!

LLLLLLLLLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight up the sky

The Main Muthafukkas are rulin' da house in Main!!!!

Nice quote. I haven't seen that flick in ages.

Fabulous Shadow
    Mez! I can't wait to see what you do with part two! KUDOS!

Crazy Ass Mofo

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed's finished IMO... I hate saying that. But I saw it with my own eyes...
    WOW!

Anybody who know this VH fan can attest, "that's a stong statement."

Crazy Ass Mofo

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mezro
    pete:everything this bitch says!!!!
    You one bad mutha...... (all the cullud girls go):shit yo mouth!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by pete
    WOW!

Tell us more bro!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm moving this one to the hitchworld.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by J.T.ROCKS
    I'm moving this one to the hitchworld.
    You can't move you bowels without help

cockdrip

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Lou
    That is one fucking horrible setlist. I'd be pulling my hair out if I had to endure that.
    NO
    FUCKING
    SHIT

I would hate the band after seeing them back Sammy Hagar as crowd barker.

No foul vegetables strong enough to effervesce my turniptude over this tour.

Fabulous Shadow
    Originally posted by pete
    WOW!

True PD...
    Hmmmmm...??? seeing it all quoted up like that... It does seem kind of STRONG... Let's just hope I'm wrong and that this is just some new faze Eddie is going through!

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pete is mean. I'm both scared of him and his pets.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Heh!!! Heh!!!! Eat THAT and Smile Petey boy!!!!!! LOL!!!!

Fabulous Shadow
    MOD FIGHT! MOD FIGHT!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Lou
    Fuck Yeah ! Totally agree with ya Lou.

Have they been promoting this setlist ??
    Another possible factor for the lacklustre sales ?????

The Dave tunes are just as token as the
    last time Van Hagar sucked.....
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice review FAB.

After reading all the reviews of the fans here, Im so glad
    Im not seeing this. I want to remember EVH when he was
    a guitar god..

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So where's your August 7th review? That was a way better show

Fabulous Shadow
    I'm almost done with it...
    Geeze... Impatient! :p

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by moose

Way to go Mez.
    Don't thank me; I only channeled the painful mediocrity of Van Hagar.

Mezro...really...it almost wrote itself...

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX

Fo shizzle my MAX nizzle

Mezro...our fucked up house in the middle of the street...

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by rustoffa
    What Max said.
    I love the smell of roasted and toasted sheep in the evening.

Mezro...if the big R vibes to it then the post is worthy from coast to toast...

Thread Information