Formerly Tormented VH Fan
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-30-2012 @ 08:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

George Lynch story

Maybe this is old news, but I'd never heard this story before. It's part of an article entitled "Dawn of the Shred" in the October issue of Guitar World:

George Lynch was jacked. Having spent the better part of 1977 playing predominantly dives, his band, the Boyz, had finally graduated to the Starwood, Los Angeles' most prestigious heavy metal hotspot. The place was packed for the Boyz' Starwood debut. Lynch recognized many of the faces - his friends and fans, many of them longtime followers, all pumped and primed for action - but there were many more strangers this time, a sign of the band's fast-building reputation. There were record label execs, too, and even some celebrities, like Gene Simmons of Kiss. Simmons wanted to branch out into management and production, and he'd heard good things about the Boyz. There seemed to be a tacit understanding in the air that something was going to happen that night - something big. Lynch and his band mates partied in their dressing room, laughing and backslapping. Already the gig felt more like a coronation than a showcase. All the Boyz had to do was walk out onstage and soak up the spoils.

The opening act was a little-known outfit from nearby Pasadena. They called themselves Mammoth, though they were flirting with the idea of using the surnames of the Dutch-born brothers who played drums and guitar. "Van Haleran?" an amused Lynch said to himself backstage. "Van Quaglen? Somebody told me they were born in Holland, but nobody could pronounce their name. Hey, like it mattered, right? I mean, it was our gig. All I cared about was that they didn't suck and drive people away before our set."

Lynch learned a nightmare-inducing be-careful-what-you-wish-for lesson that night. Van Haleran, Van Quaglen - whatever the hell they called themselves - took to the stage and left nothing behind but scorched earth. Within momments the place went wild. Maybe it was the hedonistic flamboyance of larger-than-life singer David Lee Roth. Maybe it was the band's overall exuberance, honed by years of playing backyard blowouts and wet T-shirt contests. Maybe it was the tunes, an intoxicating blend of high-energy metal with serious pop hooks to spare.

But something else about the band held the crowd in its sway. It was the guitarist. Unlike most guitar players, who cultivated images of dark mystery, this guy couldn't stop smiling. Pogo-hopping and rocking about the stage, he seemed to be having the time of his life. What's more, his fingers danced across the fretboard with a breathtaking nimbleness, and notes poured out of him as if from an inexhaustible river. He kept his back to the audience during most of his solos (lest he become the purloined shredder), making it near impossible to glean his technique. Or was it his technique that was impossible? He seemed to inhabit his own world, sharing an almost symbiotic relationship with his guitar. He played with a passion and ferocity that teetered between bliss and demonic possession. In any event, he killed. Up there on the Starwood stage, he wasn't just any guitarist - he was Tony Montana and his little friend, decimating the crowd, not to mention the Boyz'chances of following such an outre display of pure unadulterated brilliance.

George Lynch watched from the wings, growing more dispirited and apoplectic with each song. "I was like, Shit, what am I gonna do now?" he recalls with a kind of self-effacing laugh that comes only from hindsight and (no doubt) years of therapy. "To see everything you thought you knew about guitar playing change right before your eyes, at your very own show. Talk about depressed." Even so, he admits to having an epiphany that night - "I knew I had to learn from this guy. He was doing something new, and I had to get with the program if I ever stood a chance at competing."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2012 @ 08:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Neat story!! Lynch has been in Eddie/VH's shadow ever since.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Good story! Feel bad for George, but it's just proof positive that, no matter WHO you were back in 1977, Van Halen was going to KILL you live.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-18-2010 @ 02:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by EbDawson
    Neat story!! Lynch has been in Eddie/VH's shadow ever since.
    Understood but today's Lynch blows Edward away. It's both too bad that George never had the same creative outlet that Ed did and that Ed is in the state that he is today. Fuck, Ed comes up with totally worthless crap and Spam willingly sings horseshit over it. Ed bitched about "Wham Bam Amsterdam" and then agrees with fucking "Up For Breakfast?" Are they purposely trying to destroy the once legendary band known as Van Halen? :confused: I've seriously tried to listen to those new songs and they just plain suck. They are horiible and any of you that honestly think otherwise.......... Deep down, you KNOW that you are fooling yourselves cos they are that bad.

It's so fucking sad how tattered the brothers have let the VH legacy become.

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX
    Understood but today's Lynch blows Edward away. It's both too bad that George never had the same creative outlet that Ed did and that Ed is in the state that he is today. Fuck, Ed comes up with totally worthless crap and Spam willingly sings horseshit over it. Ed bitched about "Wham Bam Amsterdam" and then agrees with fucking "Up For Breakfast?" Are they purposely trying to destroy the once legendary band known as Van Halen? :confused: I've seriously tried to listen to those new songs and they just plain suck. They are horiible and any of you that honestly think otherwise.......... Deep down, you KNOW that you are fooling yourselves cos they are that bad.

Easy there big guy. I was just saying that career-wise, '77 to '85 anyway, Eddie and VH blew Lynch and Dokken away. Due, in no small way to DLR! Interesting though that today it seems that Lynch and Don Dokken will never work together again and maybe the same is true for DLR and Ed. Why can't we all just get along?

And yeah, Van Hagar blows!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Nice story.
    I wonder if this was the first time Gene Simmons saw them play ??

Wayne L.

Talking

Dokken should have been the next Aerosmith/Van Halen of the 80's but the kids of the MTV generation were too damn stupid at the time making Motley Crue & Bon Jovi the dominant 80's rock bands. George Lynch is a great rock guitarist in his own right even though he isn't in the same leagues as Eddie but much better than Mick Mars & Ritchie Sambora which is saying a lot.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    Nice story.
    I wonder if this was the first time Gene Simmons saw them play ??
    Yeah, I think it was. The article goes on to talk about VH doing the demos for Gene.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by SoCalChelle
    Yeah, I think it was. The article goes on to talk about VH doing the demos for Gene.
    Cool ! Thanks

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree with Lynch being better than Ed nowadays....plus he doesn't litter the countryside with empty alcohol containers.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No, he chooses his syringe bins responsibly

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Wayne L.
    George Lynch is a great rock guitarist in his own right even though he isn't in the same leagues as Eddie but much better than Mick Mars & Ritchie Sambora which is saying a lot.
    Agreed.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    No, he chooses his syringe bins responsibly
    LOL!

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-30-2015 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I always loved Lynch's tone and melodic hooks!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Thumbs up

George Lynch, though faced with a similar problem, is now one step aheah of EVH. George ALSO had a lead singer who could ONLY write SAPPY "LOVE" songs (It's Not Love, Alone Again, Burning Like A FLAME), but GEORGE had the good sense to GIVE UP ON HIM!!!!! Don Dokken is second ONLY to Spammy Hagar when it comes to HAM-FISTED lyrics.
    George is kind enough in that article to say he was an "EVH clone".

BUT, I remember an article around 5150 where, when asked directly about 5150, george said "It has some of his (EVH's) BEST songwriting on it, and his worst GUITAR PLAYING."
    I bet George hasn't copped any licks from EVH in 20 years!!!!

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2016 @ 07:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Cool article Chelle...but isnt it hard to believe that Lynch hadnt heard of Eddie Van Halen in 1977? And werent they Van Halen then, not Mammoth? Can I get a ruling from the trivia experts on when they actually changed their name? (so I dont have to dig out my VH Encyclopedia...)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I just re-typed it as it was in the magazine. But it sounds about right to me.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    .. and she broke my wittole ARM

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    12-08-2011 @ 09:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Did you guys ever hear Lynch playing on Tony McAlpine's album "Maximum Security"? It was incredible! The are a lot of guys that can copy guitar licks perfecly but George can "create". Steve Vai makes the point that some guys can play Hendrix but they weren't the one's writting it. Big difference. Eddy has that in spades. He should grow a pony tail so he can pull his head out of his ass!

Classic
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-24-2015 @ 02:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Great story. Thanks for posting it Chelle.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Mr. G
    Did you guys ever hear Lynch playing on Tony McAlpine's album "Maximum Security"? It was incredible! The are a lot of guys that can copy guitar licks perfecly but George can "create".

I have it...

Awesome guitar!

..but I still prefer Yngwie...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ELVIS
    I have it...

Awesome guitar!

..but I still prefer Yngwie...

Yngwie is better than Lynch. No question.

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
    And werent they Van Halen then, not Mammoth? Can I get a ruling from the trivia experts on when they actually changed their name? (so I dont have to dig out my VH Encyclopedia...)
    I'm pretty sure they had already changed their name to Van Halen. They changed it when they began playing clubs instead of just backyard parties. Of course I don't have an actual date but I believe I'm correct. Roth came on board in '74 so this would have been three years later according to the article. I believe I've seen handbills from '76 with Van Halen on them.
    Last edited by EbDawson; 08-24-2004 at 09:12 AM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Should we write a letter to Guitar World and make them correct it?

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by SoCalChelle
    Should we write a letter to Guitar World and make them correct it?
    Let Ed know and he'll sue 'em!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

I think EVH would DENY ever having played there. Couldn't let the SHEEP know that he USED to have the GREATEST FRONTMAN in ROCK HISTORY in the band at one time. "NAW.....Spammy was there.Yeah...That's the TICKET!!!"

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2013 @ 02:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd say the year was 76 and not 77. Simmons saw them first in 76. Templeman saw and signed them in 77. I also think they changed their name to Van Halen shortly after Roth joined them in 74 because they discovered another band with the same name.

Thread Information