Last Online
    @
    Status

Drunken manager and guns on the tour bus:

From Ink19.com (link at bottom)

David Lee Roth
    Jannus Landing, St. Petersburg, FL December 20, 1999
    by Michael Welch

I work at the St. Petersburg Times in Tampa. Earlier in the month, when the D.L.R. concert was announced, I tried to arrange an interview with David Lee Roth. To no avail. When I called Roth's manager, Louie, he was very short with me. "No". No exclamation point, but almost. Louie had a gruff voice and sounded like a fat, Italian. "I'd like to arrange an interview with David Lee Roth," I'd said to him on the phone. "You and about 15 million other people," he responded in his fat, gruff voice. 15 million, huh? Wow. Since I didn't have an excuse to get the newspaper to pay my way in had to pay the $30 ticket price. I did so with little doubt I would be stimulated.

In the week before the show, I read everything I could find about or by David Lee Roth, including his autobiography, Crazy from the Heat. The thought process and voice I heard in his writings and interviews were fast and loose but also rich and pointed. David Lee was tangential but creative and insightful. Sometimes Roth's flow didn't make much sense, but neither does William Faulkner's, and he's in the American literary cannon!

My research led me to believe that Roth really cared about art. And that maybe his Crispen Glover-like awkwardness was the real reason he never rejoined the mainstream after Van Halen. I believed Roth was pure of intent. If nothing else, David Lee is public enigma #1, so I was intrigued enough to pay $30.

Jannus Landing is an outdoor venue that holds about 1000 people. While DLR could have drawn 800 people, it rained mildly and intermittently the entire night, so there were only about 600 people in attendance. 300 of these attendees had mullet haircuts (short on the front, long in the back). I have never seen more, or a wider variety of, mullets. Every genotype. Mullets to the waist. Mullet couples. I saw two men who had recently cut off their mullets: I could tell because both men had unnatural stubby nubs on their necks. The cut was uneven and the nubs looked exposed and tender. Were it not for the distraction of those mullets, we would have noticed how expensive the alcohol was and my friends and I may have been bored for the two and a half-hours it took Roth to commence rocking.

David Lee Roth eventually came on stage to the tapping intro of "Hot for Teacher." He greeted the crowd with a scripted rock and roll hello, and was immediately hit in the eye with a projectile. Dave stopped the song, made a fuss and started on song two, "Panama." Holding his eye, he stopped the song a bar in, and retreated backstage.

A fat Italian man in a clear rain slicker rolled out onto the stage. He had the gruff voice of Louie the manager, "Anyone who knows who hit Dave, you point em out and we'll give you $500 cash! Just hand 'em over to us!" Near the front of the stage, blaming hands and fingers pointing in every direction. The promoter for Jannus Landing stood near, was visibly upset and concerned over the prospect of a public beatdown on his stage. Sex, drugs, rock n' roll and beatdowns. Louie the manager got the bounty up to $600, but then left the stage.

There are those who think the crew lied about David being hit and was trying to create a false tension. A false excitement. A false "is he gonna play!?" There were those who were thinking it was all a scam: but at least they were thinking.

20 minutes later Dave came back out to the tapping intro of "Hot for Teacher," gave the same exact rock and roll hello, and proceeded to do what I never wanted him to do: he made me feel sorry for him by trying to conjure up the past. One of the few things that are black and white, objectively uncool in rock and roll, is when an artist tries to go home again. It's impossible.

D.L.R. himself had a tight bod wedged into a silver spandex outfit. While he's famous for his thinning hairline, he looked amazing.

Despite his youthful appearance, the concert was a constant reminder of the past: Roth's "new" guitarist was on loan from world famous LA based Van Halen tribute band, "Atomic Punx." He was a carbon copy of Eddie Van Halen circa 1982, right down to the hair. Of 14 songs Roth performed 11 were Van Halen songs (played very well). We joked that Roth could have given this Van Halen tribute some provocative artistry by mixing in a few Van Hagar numbers. That would have been subversive.

Despite the performance, I still believe David Lee Roth cares about art, but he seems to not understands rock and roll as an artform. Who cares though? It was interesting. No matter where you went in the venue and it's connecting bars, there was something interesting to see or think about: I peed in the stall with the door shut as the others in the restroom discussed the philosophies and conflicts of Roth and Van Halen. Like religion: topics that would never get old or die. A female friend later told me the conversations in the ladies room were similar. The girlfriends were wondering out loud, if David Lee's extroverted, surreal, sexual displays (pouring Jack Daniel's down his spandex, masturbating with the microphone, licking his fingers) were meant to excite them, "cause I think it's gross," my friend quoted the bathroom girlfriends who found Dave's act to be homoerotic, "But my boyfriend is just too excited by it!" David Lee Roth is an aging diva. If he performed at gay clubs they would go nuts.

At one point I recognized Louie the manager in the bathroom, drunk, beer in hand. "Louie," I said, "I'm Michael from the newspaper. I spoke with·." He was much nicer as he interrupted, "Oh hey, I'm sorry we couldn't do anything for you as far as interviews·" he was paying attention but drunkenly sliding away from me. Despite my alcohol intake, I managed to be sharp and articulate, "Yes, I'd still like to interview him. I'd like to keep in touch over the next few weeks and when you guys get off tour·" I gave him my card. Then Louie, still in his clear rain slicker, handed down the definitive statement regarding David Lee Roth, his career, his motives, his life: "I'll tell you what," said Louie as "Pretty Woman" blasted from the stage outside, "When we come back with Van Halen, you get first shot." As if it were news to anyone: Dave was merely auditioning every night in hopes of re-joining his toothless bandmates in Van Halen. I was still stunned that Louie'd reveal the motives so bluntly. But if there's a snowflake's chance in Florida that it does happen, I hope he was telling me the truth about giving me the scoop. And therein lies the rub: It seems like such a far away notion that that reunion would ever happen, but we'd all pay $30 (maybe $50) to see it. And we'll all dog Dave while he travels the demeaning road trying to get us what we want.

After the show, always in search of a ripe journalistic opportunity, I tried to get on the tour bus. A professional looking lady in a mini-skirted powersuit stood outside the door. "Hi, have you seen Louie?" I asked her, "He wanted me to meet him here after the show." I figured if Louie saw me he'd remember and it would turn into a meeting with David Lee Roth. "No, they left," She seemed to fib as a gray-haired man came down the stairs of the bus with a metal suitcase, the kind often associated with ransom money. The lady went on, attempting to put me off very professionally. As she was talking, the suitcase man got to the bottom of the stairs. When he was right in front of us, he stumbled and a gun fell out of his pocket on the ground in front of us. She looked at me and stuttered, worried at what I'd seen. "I'm not gonna say nothin'." I assured her, putting my hand on her shoulder. It was so funny I lost my cool and smiled uncontrollably. "Have you seen Louie?" I asked again and laughed.

It may not have been the artistic validation of David Lee Roth I was looking for, but between the pondering of artistic ideals, the philosophies in question at this Van Halen tribute concert and Louie the manager it was one of the most interesting concerts of my life.

Story found
    here

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So Mike kinda hates 80's music and fans. BIG preoccupation with the mullets. Sure, a mullet is VERY outdated, but how about the skater-cut from the mid-90's? The one that looked like the guy was a mushroom? Not very COOL in retrospec.
    Still, it dosen't say much. Very ho-hum. If he dosen't dig CLASSIC VAN HALEN, why even waste his time running after DAVE? Doubt if he DID talk to DAVE that it would be very complimentary.
    This guy needs to stalk PEARL JAM. Ask them why THEY are irrelevant. Get a new shtick pal, beatin' up on the guys from the '80's is gettin' REAL tired.

lms2
    Just goes to show ya. If someone is after a story, they are gonna get one. Take this as you would anything else in print these days. With a grain of salt, and a bottle of asprin. If you are curious about David Lee Roth...pay the bucks to see him live, then make up your own mind.

(Same with the brothers and this tour, but you did't hear that from me.)

Formerly Tormented VH Fan
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by rustoffa
    She looked at me and stuttered, worried at what I'd seen. "I'm not gonna say nothin'." I assured her, putting my hand on her shoulder.
    And then he publishes it for all the world to see. Nice.
    Facebook: Chelle Marley

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Real class act, this guy. The fucker walked in with preconceived notions, is not a rock or Dave fan. I bet he was completely honest about EVERYTHING too.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i didnt get the sense that he hated 80s music. there are good reviews and bad ones, who cares

5151 Parrothead
    I'll have to admit, I'm rather skeptical on this guy's whole story. "Atomic Punx"? C'mon, it'd take about 2 minutes of research to find the spelling... heck, even if you didn't know, why would someone choose to spell it with an X versus spelling it the commonly accepted manner; unless someone was feeding this guy bogus information, which would open up a whole new 55 gallon drum of worms.

1999, this then would be Bart Walsh that he's talking about, ironic that he was one of the few who couldn't tell that was a wig.

I don't claim to "know all" about Dave, but it's pretty obvious that this guy was writing from a strongly biased perspective. Anyone ever hear of this "Louie" that he speaks of?

Despite my alcohol intake, I managed to be sharp and articulate, "Yes, I'd still like to interview him. I'd like to keep in touch over the next few weeks and when you guys get off tour·" I gave him my card. Then Louie, still in his clear rain slicker, handed down the definitive statement regarding David Lee Roth, his career, his motives, his life: "I'll tell you what," said Louie as "Pretty Woman" blasted from the stage outside, "When we come back with Van Halen, you get first shot." As if it were news to anyone: Dave was merely auditioning every night in hopes of re-joining his toothless bandmates in Van Halen.
    This whole exchange sounds doubtful to me. Starting with questions like why the band manager is out using a public restroom... Particularly while the show is in progress.

"toothless bandmates in Van Halen."?? :confused: wtf?

IF this guy Louie exists (I've never heard of this Louie, but it may just be me), and IF this "When we come back with Van Halen..." statement was actually made (I'm skeptical), I'd be guessing it was more a way of blowing this reporter off than it was a legitimate promise of any kind.

I'm not gonna try to say that I'm any kind of an "insider" in the DLR camp, but I've been to several DLR shows, I've actually met Dave briefly after the New Years Eve show, and there are just a lot of things about this guy's story that don't jive with things I know. In short, this sounds more, to me, like a 2nd string reporter throwing something together to meet a deadline.

5151 Parrothead
    I looked up the "St. Petersburg Times" site on the net, and did a search for "Michael Welsh", came back with a bunch of stuff on real estate transactions, one on some ceramics sale at a local college, one where apparently this guy performed a dog wedding View it here) and a fairly lengthly piece on nudity in an art exhibit Here's the link. Just doesn't seem to be the 1st line, hardcore entertainment reporter.

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by SoCalChelle
    And then he publishes it for all the world to see. Nice.
    !!!!
    Moving webhosts & will be making changes to the picture hosting - watch this space..

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    it could have happened the way he said, who knows. he obviously isnt worried about being professional while mentioning his heavy alcoholic intake at the show. a negative review...doesnt matter since i would say most people dont put much weight in concert reviews

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by 5151 Parrothead
    I looked up the "St. Petersburg Times" site on the net, and did a search for "Michael Welsh",
    Did you try Michael Welch? That's how it was spelled in the article.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Even tho it`s been said many, many times before...Opinions are like assholes...everybody has one.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    every person who reviews a show has some story in mind when they go to a show...its just about finding details to fit whatever story you want. reviews mean nothing in the grand scheme of things

5151 Parrothead
    Originally posted by SoCalChelle
    Did you try Michael Welch? That's how it was spelled in the article.
    Yes, I looked it up correctly, just entered it wrong in the message here.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Allrighty then.

5151 Parrothead
    I found this very interesting... I got this response from The St. Petersberg Times:

"I searched our electronic files and could find no
    evidence that this article on David Lee Roth was
    published in the St. Petersburg Times. We did
    employ someone with the byline Michael Patrick
    Welch at the time, but I am told he no longer works
    for this paper.

Sincerely,
    Eric Lacker
    letters editor,
    St. Petersburg Times"

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It doesn't say the article was in the paper, it says that he worked for them. That's all.

5151 Parrothead
    Originally posted by smaz
    It doesn't say the article was in the paper, it says that he worked for them. That's all.
    No, it doesn't say that it was in the paper, it just seems to be put across heavily implying that it was a story from the paper. Whatever the case, he seemed to be throwing a lot of weight into the fact he worked for the paper. However, it seems to be owefully heavily biased and under-researched for something done by someone who is supposed to be a professional journalist.

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe he does it so that people think that the article is written by some with 'authority' (i.e. people think he's a reporter and accepts his views as a legitimate source) and then his negative view on Dave would e accepted by others, not looked at as someone who doesn't like Dave and then gets slated.

5151 Parrothead
    Yeah, a hatchet job like that needs whatever it can get to buy it some legitimacy.

Beer Drinker&Hell Raiser
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know it's a bad sign when a writer tries to make literary references (that are a stretch to connect to the article anways) in a desperate attempt to come off as educated and well read, and they fucking mispell "canon," as in, "and he's in the American literary cannon." That Faulkner must've required a lot of gun powder.
    Last edited by degüello; 08-23-2004 at 07:30 PM.
    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A hack is a hack. I should know, I majored in journalism in college. If this guy is trying to make himself be oh so vogue in pessimistic rock journalism he has a long way to go. The cunt.
    Last edited by Kristy; 08-23-2004 at 10:49 PM.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
    reviews mean nothing in the grand scheme of things
    So why do you read them ??

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Kristy
    A hack is a hack. I should know, I majored in journalism in college.

..and your posts demonstrate a third grade education...

What shift do you work at Walmart ??

I'd like your phone number, if you're not fat...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's the matter? Did you $9 barber fuck up your mullet again?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No kiddin'. Sheesh, that was harsh....even for Elvis. LOL

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    So why do you read them ??
    if i see a bunch of positive reviews for a CD, most of the time I will check it out and decide on my own if I like it. If I Hear buzz about a band but they are getting negative reviews, I dont put too much weight into it though. but ultimetly, everything is going to get positive and negative reviews so they really dont matter. your going to believe the ones you want to believe

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by degüello
    You know it's a bad sign when a writer tries to make literary references (that are a stretch to connect to the article anways) in a desperate attempt to come off as educated and well read, and they fucking mispell "canon," as in, "and he's in the American literary cannon." That Faulkner must've required a lot of gun powder.
    LOL!

Yeah I spotted that too...

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    HAHAHAHAHHA.......600 in attendance....and you guys give VH shit for not selling out .......figures give it up

Splooge Da Hamsta
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by scubaa
    HAHAHAHAHHA.......600 in attendance....and you guys give VH shit for not selling out .......figures give it up
    Fak off cunt!!
    We're on a mission from ROTH

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    sorry hammy hamster.....it was only 300...gave to much credit and got your hopes up....happy bday anyways dlr

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    sorry 300 actual attendance

badhorsie
    Damn We're scraping the bottle of the barrel today. Gotta pull up shit from 1999.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by badhorsie
    Damn We're scraping the bottle of the barrel today.
    No shit....was Niagra Falls tough in that thing?

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    see reference from one of the dlr elite in thge forums of the Tampa paper, nit me posting these #'s just posting the #'s he did and it does not look good on the army

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We give Van Hagar SHIT for SUCKING DOG BALLS & not selling out while on a REUNION tour. If DAVID LEE ROTH reformed VAN HALEN, I believe that the attendance numbers would be slightly better....about 10-15,000 a night better. The SHAM HALEN FLEECE THE SHEEP 2004 tour is an embarrassment. NO SPIN here. It's a debacle, from start to it's finish. Sorry that the fact seems to get under your skin. repeatedly.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i am just happy to see Eddie and the band ,as well hopefull Eddie can get his head out of the bottle from what has been written

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i am just happy to get my ass plugged on a nightly basis when my mom puts on her strap-on...I enjoy having my Dad watch while he beats off, and I'm as well hopeful my brother can get his finger out of my sisters ass
    Back to the pen, sheep!
    Twistin' by the pool.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    “ Originally posted by Blacklisted
    Sammy Hagar is THE MOST useful frontman of Van Halen as for Roth he is as useless as a three dollar bill or tits on a nun. There is just no need for it.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    “ Originally posted by myself

I am the gayest mother fucker on this board

Proof positive is in my pants!
    Nothing there to surprise us, sheep.

BACK TO THE PEN!!