Thread: Ever been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2013 @ 02:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Ever been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I was in Cleveland this past weekend so I went. This is the second time I've been there. Nothing really new from the last time other than a few items here and there. The thing that surprises me is that there is nothing from VH there. New or old. The only thing that came close was watching one of the 10 minute movie presentations and it got on the subject of sex and rock music. They showed a 1 or 2 second shot of Dave from the California Girls video. I just think it strange a band that's been around for 26 years, sold millions of records, and is a classic rock band and not one thing throughout the whole place when there are things from Britney Spears, Backdoor Boys, Def Leppard and lesser people and bands. Is it that they are not interested in VH or VH isn't interested in them? Evidently, you don't have to be inducted to have things in there. I also realize the HOF is a bit of a joke and becoming less exclusive every year, but c'mon.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    10-15-2007 @ 05:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

vh isnt as influential or important as we all think they are. i was real disappointed in checking out the HOF...dont being able to take pics of the stuff i thought was dumb. some of the stuff was cool but i was real disappointed at the whole thing. how is that museum in seatle? isnt there another HOF type thing out there....experience music or something like that
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Pied piper of poontang!!!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-30-2020 @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I live Near Cleveland and I'm proud to say I've never been there. No desire to go either.

lms2
    Originally posted by darkknight
    The only thing that came close was watching one of the 10 minute movie presentations and it got on the subject of sex and rock music. They showed a 1 or 2 second shot of Dave from the California Girls video.
    Just what I am was talking about wondering if Dave stands a chance on his own. Van Halen was a hell of a band. But in the late 70's early7 80's there were some major kick ass bands.

Daves contribution went way farther than just being a front man.

The Cosmic Shame
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2010 @ 12:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I can't see Dave being inducted solo. I love the guy, but nothing he's done alone is as ground breaking as the VH catalog.

That having been said, it is strange that nothing is in there. I'm sure that the museum people have tried to get VH stuff.... It makes no sense that there's nothing (I don't recall seeing anything the time I went, but I'll take your word that there's nothing there). I would think Dave would gladly loan some stuff, and surely EVH would see it as another chance to pimp the hagar lineup!

Perhaps there was a disagreement over which period to focus on (i.e. EVH saying "NO DAVE")

I will say that I thought the museum was awesome. All I heard before going was how boring it was, but my wife and I loved it. Loved all the U2 stuff (especially the rejection letters), loved seeing Morrison's baby book, loved the letter from Charles Manson.

It is a bit scattershot, to be sure, and many groups (like VH, the Sex Pistols, Prince, etc) are conspicuously absent, but that's due to the fact that everything in the place has been donated by the artists (or their estates) so the representation of a particular artist is based entirely on what's been donated.

F Sammy!
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2008 @ 05:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have been there and I agree that the place sux
    There are lot of classic artists that hardly have a mention in those lower floors--where all the shit is

I just wasnt impressed--not worth the admission.

lms2
    I can't see Dave being inducted solo. I love the guy, but nothing he's done alone is as ground breaking as the VH catalog.
    I agree, and think the VH catalog absolutely rocks. There was some heavy competition back in the day, and a limited number of people that get inducted each year.

As far as Dave's contribution "musically", I agree that no, he doesn't stand a chance, but the RARHOF is about contributions to the world of music. Dave is the attitude, the heart and soul of all that is rock and roll. Dave is the videos, the stunts, the soul, the costumes, the blood and guts...the part of Van Halen that was so often imitated, but never duplicated. Are you saying that is not a worthy contribution?

I just brought this up because of the mention that the ONLY thing Van Halen in the musuem is the portion of the video of California Girls.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Thumbs up

I've been there and I dug it. Did it have enough of the bands I love(VAN HALEN, ZEPP, AC/DC, ETC)? NO. But, in another 5-10 years, those bands wil be ALL OVER the museum. It's full of all the old CLASSIC ROCK bands though. JIMMY PAGE's DRAGON suit from the 77 tour was worth the price of admission by its self! When I was there they had the ALLMAN BROS. stage and equipment from the '70's. VERY COOL!!! It will get better. AND THERE IS NO WAY CLASSIC VAN HALEN WON't BE IN THERE!!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

HOF-threads are as boring as hair threads...

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    11-02-2007 @ 05:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks

i went to the opening concert....amazing..dylan...springsteen...lou reed...etc.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Originally posted by darkknight
    I just think it strange a band that's been around for 26 years, sold millions of records, and is a classic rock band and not one thing throughout the whole place when there are things from Britney Spears, Backdoor Boys, Def Leppard and lesser people and bands.

the Spears and BSB stuff was part of a "teen idols" exhibit. i didn't see that one. the Lennon exhibit was pretty good, but i think Yoko could have kept the bag of bloody clothes at home.

the HOF won't buy items to put on display. everything is donated or loaned by the artists or their estates. EMP and the Hard Rock Cafes buy all kinds of stuff and probably will end up having better collections.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Originally posted by scorpioboy33
    i went to the opening concert....amazing..dylan...springsteen...lou reed...etc.
    i taped the whole thing. could have gone but i decided not to. i was at the ribboncutting ceremony, though.

Thread Information