Thread: Alex Lifeson On Van Halen (1998)

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Alex Lifeson On Van Halen (1998)

GT: How about old influences, would you still get off on someone like Eddie Van Halen?

ALEX: I certainly appreciate Eddie and what he does and what he's always done. He's a typical example because he's left such a mark on all guitarists, but I don't know if I'd say if Van Halen as a group was something I listened to after 1985 or something that moved me...

GT: So you wouldn't want to hear the last Van Halen record?

ALEX: You know, that happens and you can't really judge them too severely... I think they probably went into the studio and made the kind of record they wanted to make, something that was less poppy and maybe a little more rootsy, but perhaps in a commercial way that didn't work for them or wasn't the best idea, but they did it and they're living with it and they're out touring and working hard and trying to give it some life. But people are not too forgiving in the world of music... make one little mistake and that's it.

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted... Not for foolish-hearted it's really just a question of your honesty, yeah, your HONESTY!! F-Ed.
    Last edited by scottydabodi; 08-26-2004 at 07:40 PM.
    If you listen to fools
    The Mob Rules

guwapo_rocker
    Originally posted by scottydabodi
    All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted... Not for foolish-hearted it's reall just a question of your honesty, yeah, your HONESTY!! F-Ed.
    Yeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why does Alex get overlooked all the time ? I play and I love to play Rush coz Alex is fuckin superb .

So again why is he always overlooked as a guitarist?

Look at 'your top 3 guitarists' thread , there's only me who voted for him, thats just not cricket old chap .

DLR Army Mod Emeritus
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In other words, Alex is saying, 'Van Hagar SUCKS'. I knew I liked Rush for a reason.

©Ramblings by Rogue® Inc.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    RogueHorseman® resides at the scenic Double Cross Ranch in sunny Riveria Paradise
    Status
    Originally posted by Viking
    ALEX:I don't know if I'd say if Van Halen as a group was something I listened to after 1985 or something that moved me...
    Always been a big Rush fan, and Alex just said it all.
    Last edited by RogueHorseman; 08-26-2004 at 08:33 PM.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe that guy he assulted in Florida was a Van Hagar fan...

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    No .It's because Alex has put on weight the cops beat him up because they thought he was Spammy .
    Last edited by Reverberator; 08-26-2004 at 08:41 PM.

badhorsie
    Alex cracks me up.

There are plenty of Rush fans who absolutely hate anything after 83. (thats when they went all weird and played more keyboard oriented tunes and Alex's solos were very very scarce)

Its called "A.L.D"

*taken from a website*

Alex Lifeson's Disease (ALD)

Lifeson begat this atrocity. Back in 1984, he contracted the disease that now bears his name. Alex Lifeson's disease afflicts the great guitarists. It shrinks their testicles from the size of grapefruits down to BBs, or smaller. (Other notable sufferers of Alex Lifeson's Disease include Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, and Vivian Campbell). Mr. Lifeson went from wearing long hair and clogs and playing in front of several Marshall stacks, to wearing borderline flock-of-seagulls haircuts and ballet slippers and playing in front of tiny solid state combos.
    He went from being a natural progression of Jimmy Page meets Steve Hackett to Andy Summers meets the Edge. His last vestiges of guitar hero-style lead guitar work were on 1983's Signals. Since then, Lifeson became an accompanist. It's not like he doesn't have chops anymore — he simply chooses not to use them. That's the definition of ALD. If you see Rush live doing old material, he can still cut ripping solos on stuff like Freewill. He just chooses not to play that way on new music. He's a big pussy. My prescribed treatment for ALD sufferers is call them a bunch of denigrating names like "big pussy" in hopes that they'd snap out of it someday. Unfortunately no one has yet.

guwapo_rocker
    Originally posted by badhorsie
    Alex cracks me up.

There are plenty of Rush fans who absolutely hate anything after 83. (thats when they went all weird and played more keyboard oriented tunes and Alex's solos were very very scarce)

Its called "A.L.D"

*taken from a website*

Alex Lifeson's Disease (ALD)

Lifeson begat this atrocity. Back in 1984, he contracted the disease that now bears his name. Alex Lifeson's disease afflicts the great guitarists. It shrinks their testicles from the size of grapefruits down to BBs, or smaller. (Other notable sufferers of Alex Lifeson's Disease include Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, and Vivian Campbell). Mr. Lifeson went from wearing long hair and clogs and playing in front of several Marshall stacks, to wearing borderline flock-of-seagulls haircuts and ballet slippers and playing in front of tiny solid state combos.
    He went from being a natural progression of Jimmy Page meets Steve Hackett to Andy Summers meets the Edge. His last vestiges of guitar hero-style lead guitar work were on 1983's Signals. Since then, Lifeson became an accompanist. It's not like he doesn't have chops anymore — he simply chooses not to use them. That's the definition of ALD. If you see Rush live doing old material, he can still cut ripping solos on stuff like Freewill. He just chooses not to play that way on new music. He's a big pussy. My prescribed treatment for ALD sufferers is call them a bunch of denigrating names like "big pussy" in hopes that they'd snap out of it someday. Unfortunately no one has yet.
    I am a huge RUSH fan from their hometown. But I have to

say I agree. I haven't purchased anything post Moving Pictures.

badhorsie
    With good reason .

After Moving Pictures Rush ceased to ROCK.

They became all goofy.

I went to their show in 2002 and people were literally bored when they played the mid 80's material.But they redeemed themselves with the good stuff.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lifeson's right on the money here, and quite the geetarist as well.

Apparently, that beating he took didn't cause any dain bramage.

©Ramblings by Rogue® Inc.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    RogueHorseman® resides at the scenic Double Cross Ranch in sunny Riveria Paradise
    Status
    With good reason .

After Moving Pictures Rush ceased to ROCK.

They became all goofy.

I went to their show in 2002 and people were literally bored when they played the mid 80's material.But they redeemed themselves with the good stuff.
    Come to think of it, that is the last album I bought from them myself!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I really fell out with Rush when they did that tune with that bitch from Til Tuesday (Aimee Mann). I was like, "what the fuck is this bullshit?" It was hard to imagine that the band that released the great album 2112 could put out shit such as that. Of course Ray Danniels was their manager, so that might explain a lot.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, since we're on the Rush thing, yea, I agree that some of their post 85 stuff got a bit weak. BUT, they came out with a couple of stellar albums recently that are worth checking out.

Counterparts - Has them back with some pretty rockin' tunes and losing the keyboards for the most part.
    Test 4 Echo - Does pretty well.
    Vapor Trails - Their newest, gets pretty out there but still keeping with the heavy guitars and less keyboard.

Of their latest, I'd say grab Counterparts and give that one a listen. It's worth it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My favorite Rush song is Subdivisions.

Don't know why, just is.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i just saw rush in montreal about a week ago.they rocked. they played
    tons of old stuff, even played for over three hours.man do they rock,
    alex lifeson was amazing. best show this summer that i seen.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by arastar
    Well, since we're on the Rush thing, yea, I agree that some of their post 85 stuff got a bit weak. BUT, they came out with a couple of stellar albums recently that are worth checking out.

Counterparts - Has them back with some pretty rockin' tunes and losing the keyboards for the most part.
    Test 4 Echo - Does pretty well.
    Vapor Trails - Their newest, gets pretty out there but still keeping with the heavy guitars and less keyboard.

Of their latest, I'd say grab Counterparts and give that one a listen. It's worth it.
    Spot on! People who claim Rush ain't rock anymore haven't been paying attention. They've been kicking ass (again) since about '94.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    First of all, Alex is the most underrated guitar player ever. He was also the only popular guitar player (I used the word popular here to denote non-jazz or prog nerd players) to be in the same league as Ed when Ed hit the world stage.

Second, I saw Rush and Van Hagar within two weeks of each other this summer and Rush destroyed Hagar. With a good setlist Van Halen could challenge, but set for set Rush killed.
    gnaw on it

badhorsie
    Subdivisions does kick ass and Rush has put out more Rock Themed albums since the late 80's mid 90's but come one. Alex does not play frantic style solos anymore or anything that makes you say "wow". He stopped being a guitar hero years and years ago.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm VERY sad to say the only post "Signals" album I've purchased is "Presto"...........B-A-D bad..........wow that album is shit...........

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    van hagar sucks.........god, it feels so good to say it, everyone take a deep breath and say it with me VAN HAGAR FUCKING SUCKS

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ClubDave
    van hagar sucks.........god, it feels so good to say it, everyone take a deep breath and say it with me VAN HAGAR FUCKING SUCKS
    Come on man, stop being so complimentary to them. This IS a Roth message board after all!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i think you have a point there......maybe we are going a little light on the bastards......ill have to devise a new way to insult their fat, drunk asses

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Subdivisions does kick ass and Rush has put out more Rock Themed albums since the late 80's mid 90's but come one. Alex does not play frantic style solos anymore or anything that makes you say "wow". He stopped being a guitar hero years and years ago.
    Don't believe he was ever really trying to be. He's always struck me as someone who is more concerned with what's appropriate for the song, as opposed to throwing in licks whenever possible.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Signals is a masterpiece but it was all down hill from there.

I wonder why Lifeson is so underrated. When you ask who is the best bassist or drummer people always say Geddy Lee and Neil Peart, but few people mention Lifeson when talking about guitar players. As good as he is, perhaps Lifeson is overshaddowed by the talent of Geddy Lee and Neil Peart.

Of course we should have known the end of Rush was approaching when they started putting pictures of naked men on their album covers.

It isn't Van Halen
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Reverberator
    Why does Alex get overlooked all the time ? I play and I love to play Rush coz Alex is fuckin superb .

So again why is he always overlooked as a guitarist?

Look at 'your top 3 guitarists' thread , there's only me who voted for him, thats just not cricket old chap .
    No idea why. La Villa Stangiato, for example, is a vivid example of how good he is.

In my opinion, Geddy Lee doesn't get near enough cred as a bassist, either.

It isn't Van Halen
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ODShowtime
    First of all, Alex is the most underrated guitar player ever. He was also the only popular guitar player (I used the word popular here to denote non-jazz or prog nerd players) to be in the same league as Ed when Ed hit the world stage.

Second, I saw Rush and Van Hagar within two weeks of each other this summer and Rush destroyed Hagar. With a good setlist Van Halen could challenge, but set for set Rush killed.
    Set list wouldn't really matter.

Rush: Three virtuosos that have strong chemestry that goes back before a lot of people posting here were even born.

Van Halen: One dysfunctional and failing virtuoso. One marginally effective drummer, a mediocre bassist who's real contribution is backup vocals,,,And a chubby fashion disaster with the charisma of week old roadkill behind the mike who ocasionally pretends to be a guitar player too. Chemestry? Picture the Springer Show with a Marshall stack.

Verdict: Rush would blow them away if they walked out and did Hanson covers.

Stay Frosty!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BRANDON
    i just saw rush in montreal about a week ago.they rocked. they played
    tons of old stuff, even played for over three hours.man do they rock,
    alex lifeson was amazing. best show this summer that i seen.
    I was at that show too - sat in the reds - section 116 at the Bell center and they absolutely f'n rocked the house.

Best show this summer?
    Rush was the best show to hit Montreal in the past 5 years!
    Tight band, 3 1/2 hour show, and they played EVERYTHING in their repetoire.

Geddy Lee may be one ugly mofo, but the man has not lost anything vocally.

Tremendous band.
    Period.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool thread. Rush and Van Halen (in that order) are my all time favorite bands. While Fly By Night - Moving Pictures were without a doubt their best albums, when they were in their prime, they still rock today. And as someone already said, after a few keyboard heavy albums with Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire, they got back to their roots on their last few albums. I've seen them about 12 times since the early 80's, and can say they blow VH away live. Trust me VH fans, we can all agree VH1- 1984 are amazing albums right? You'll feel the same way about Fly By Night - Moving Pictures. My 2 cents.

Food for thought
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rush are also one my favourite bands. Alex lifeson is an excellent guitarist too, very original.

They are one of those bands that are actually better live. Exit stage left is proof of this.

I personally liked some of those keyboard heavy albums especially Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. They have great songs and amazing musicianship.
    Achtung Baby I say, I say...

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Brownsound1
    I really fell out with Rush when they did that tune with that bitch from Til Tuesday (Aimee Mann). I was like, "what the fuck is this bullshit?" It was hard to imagine that the band that released the great album 2112 could put out shit such as that. Of course Ray Danniels was their manager, so that might explain a lot.

Ever hear about Eddie wanting to replace Dave at first with Patty Smythe. That is pretty funny too. I guess that would have been better than Sambos Guerreros, not much. )

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How about Geddy Lee as a replacement for Dave?

It isn't Van Halen
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by bobthedog
    Ever hear about Eddie wanting to replace Dave at first with Patty Smythe. That is pretty funny too. I guess that would have been better than Sambos Guerreros, not much. )
    Time Stand Still from Hold Your Fire.

Hold Your Fire has to be my least favorite Rush album.

One of their keyboard-era ones though, Power Windows, I liked. Great songs.

Food for thought
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hold Your Fire is a bit lacklustre but it isn't that bad an album.

Force Ten is a very good song, and again sounds better live.

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What has got to be remembered about Alex Lifeson is that he used techniques (albiet in a more relaxed way than EVH) before VH1 was released , tapping , violining etc .

Alex also is a fucking gentleman ( read the thread ) and wouldn't slag off one of his peers , unlike EVH's broken fingers shit about Page .

Don't get me wrong , EVH will always be a fucking guitar god for the sheer brilliance that once was VH , but I think people should respect Lerxt for his playing first and foremost , but also that he is a damn fine fucking bloke .

Come on give him some respect , I thank you .

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by cscmtp
    Cool thread. My 2 cents.
    Y 10-Q!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
    I'm VERY sad to say the only post "Signals" album I've purchased is "Presto"...........B-A-D bad..........wow that album is shit...........
    I can understand you saying that.

Presto is the one Rush album that I think fucking sucked but they've got their act together since.

Go steal some of their newer stuff online.

Trust me you'll like it.

Cheers!

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Signals was the last album that I thoroughly enjoyed. Then they went into their 'Canadiana New Age' rock until 'Vapour Trails' where they went back to their 70's roots IMO.

Thread Information