Thread: ATO Members Die in Fire

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Unhappy ATO Members Die in Fire

I knew some guys in ATO, wasn't a member myself (didn't go to UM until my junior year), I didn't know either of the guys who died. Thought a couple of you may be members and might wanna see this, sad day at UM.

http://www.olemiss.edu/cgi-bin/news2...op=1&mode=full
    The BLASTFurnace turned me into a bitch

Panamark's Girl
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd like to know more about this as well....being I am from Mississippi myself!! I have some ATO friends!!!! What the fuck?? THis is horrible!!
    Baby Pana due April 28th!

I love Daddy Panamark! :0

Panamark's Girl
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can't get the link you posted to come up, Rebel!

Formerly Tormented VH Fan
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's the text of the story:

Nation Responds to Fraternity Tragedy with Outpouring of Support

08/28/2004

OXFORD, Miss. - Nike called for their shoe sizes, classmates opened their closets and families in this college town offered to house the 19 fraternity brothers displaced after fire swept through their fraternity house Friday, killing three.

From the restaurants that provided food and drink for firefighters, to the students, university employees, businesses and churches that donated time, toothbrushes, shaving cream and contact lens solution, school officials say the community support following Friday morning's deadly fire on the University of Mississippi's Oxford Campus has been tremendous.

"The kindness continues to pour in," said Dean of Students Sparky Reardon, as he addressed fraternity members and their parents Saturday afternoon. "This is only the tip of the iceberg of what's come in. We've asked people to hold off on gifts."

On a stage behind where Reardon stood in the Johnson Commons Ballroom - where fraternity members dined on a free meal of roasted pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes - boxes overflowed with donated clothing, underwear, flip flops, hair dryers, pillows and more.

"You wouldn't believe the calls," Reardon said. "It's unbelievable what's happening."

For a group of young men who've had nothing but heartbreaking news in two days, they smiled for a moment when Reardon announced that Nike USA wanted their clothing and shoe sizes, that Cellular South offered free phones, and that the Ole Miss bookstore had prepared individual packages for those who lost their textbooks.

"The community outpouring is most appreciated," said Wynn Smiley, the fraternity's national chief executive. "This is not a typical reaction for a college campus when tragedy strikes. Know that this is something very special."

Wynn said the fraternity's national headquarters has received hundreds of phone calls from alumni and other ATOs looking to make donations. ATO national has set up a memorial fund for UM's Delta Psi chapter to use as members see fit.

"While the support is very strong on this campus, know that it is just as strong from your ATO brothers across the country," Smiley said.

The community's generosity soon will turn into the fraternity's generosity. The donations have far exceeded the needs of the 19 brothers and their house mother. The fraternity plans to donate the surplus to others in need.

Saturday, a group of about 30 ATOs from Mississippi State University made the trip to Oxford to "show support and offer whatever we can do to help," said chapter president Rob Redwood. "We're all ATOs. We're all brothers."

Teresa LLewellyn flew in from Rockville, Md., to help her son Travis cope with the loss of his fraternity brothers.

"It's been amazing," she said, as she gathered shirts and shorts. "It's been such a tremendous outpouring."

Mother Cindy Keen agreed. Keen said she was amazed at how quickly the community responded. "I'm just very sorry that they are in this position," Keen said. "The organization has been incredible. There are a lot of people doing a lot of work besides just giving."

For information on funeral and memorial services for Stone, Townsend and Williams, please see

http://www.olemiss.edu/press/ATOservices.html.

by Natashia Gregoire
    Facebook: Chelle Marley

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And here's info about the funerals for the 3 students killed:

Funeral & Memorial Services Set for ATO Fire Victims

08/29/2004

Howard Stone - Service: 4:00 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 29; visitation: 3:00 p.m., at Forrest Hills Presbyterian Church, 725 Beechnut Ln., Martinsville, VA; tel: 276-632-5411
    Funeral Home: Norris Funeral Service, 1500 Kings Mountain Rd., Martinsville, VA.; tel: 276-638-2778

Memorials: In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Boy Scout Scholarship Fund, Charity Leage of Martinsville & Henry County, 51 E. Church St., Martinsville, VA 24112; tel: 276-638-3543

Will Townsend - Service: 3:00 p.m. Monday, Aug. 30, at First United Methodist Church, 405 E. 2nd St., Clarksdale, MS; tel: 662-624-8596
    Funeral Home: Nowell-McNeil Funeral Home, 314 E. 2nd St., Clarksdale, MS; tel: 662-624-6218

Memorials: In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Will Townsend Memorial Scholarship Fund, University of Mississippi Foundation, P.O. Box 249, University, MS 38677

Jordan Williams - Service: 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, Sep. 1, at Mount Paran Church of God, 2055 Mount Paran Rd., Atlanta, GA; tel: 404-261-0720
    Funeral Home & Visitation: Tuesday, Aug. 31, 6:00-8:00 p.m. at H.M. Patterson & Sons Funeral Home, 1020 Spring Street, Atlanta, GA; tel: 404-876-1022

Memorials: In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Jordan Lowell Williams Memorial Scholarship Fund at The Lovett School, 4075 Paces Ferry Rd. Nw., Atlanta, GA, 30327; tel: 404-266-3032

University Memorial Service: 7:00 p.m. Thursday, Sep. 2., Tad Smith Coliseum. Anyone wishing to send a message of condolence to survivors and members of Alpha Tau Omega, please e-mail publicre@olemiss.edu.

by staff

Thread Information