X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Samsonite
    Head Fluffer
    • May 2004

Awesome Pic of VH in Rolling Stone

In Rolling Stone, they have an awesome pic of classic Van Halen right next to something about the Best of Both Worlds. This one actually has DLR...I guess RS didn't get the memo from Eddie to never use a pic of Dave again....
  • Samsonite
    Head Fluffer
    • May 2004

And a review of the BOBW....

Comment

• Samsonite
      Head Fluffer
      • May 2004

The Best of Both Worlds
      3 and a half stars

Finally, all you feuding David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar fans have an album you can agree on: Two greatest-hits discs featuring both singers

Sixteen of the thirty-six tunes here are powerful examples of the greatest party band of the past twenty-five years. From 1978 to 1985, Van Halen were a showcase for impish, groundbreaking guitarist Eddie Van Halen as well as for David Lee Roth, whose gifts included being a frontman nonpareil and driving Eddie bananas. The latter got Roth thrown out of the band, and in came Sammy Hagar, a technically better singer who also brought a boatload of pomposity and sentimentality to the band from 1986 onward. The Best of Both Worlds mixes the two eras indiscriminately - 1979's effervescent "Beautiful Girls" sits next to 1986's ponderous "Love Walks In" - and includes three forgettable new Hagar tunes, the band's first since 1998. "Runaround" and "Why Can't This Be Love" prove that Hagar isn't without charm, but one can imagine Eddie including the Roth songs grudgingly; he knows that's what the fans prefer.

Comment

• Fabulous Shadow

Wheres the pic?

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Normally I HATE everything about RS, but they are on the money in this one. The grassroots support for Roth just grows and grows the more the sisters try to stop it. It is as if the fans see the sisters as corporate and Roth as a man of the people who has been denied his just due (Certainly how I feel). I'm glad to see it happening and want to see a lot more of it.

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

More to come, I'm sure. 90% of everything I've read about either the tour or the best of is going along these lines..."It's nice that they're back, the new songs suck, the Roth and Hagar eras should be separated, David rules and you guys are too pussy without him", so on and so forth.

Eventually, they're going to have to listen.
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• badhorsie

Rolling Stone is crap.

They bashed the hell out of early VH in almost every review back in the day.

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Re: Awesome Pic of VH in Rolling Stone

Originally posted by Samsonite
                In Rolling Stone, they have an awesome pic of classic Van Halen right next to something about the Best of Both Worlds. This one actually has DLR...I guess RS didn't get the memo from Eddie to never use a pic of Dave again....
                What pic?
                Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by bueno bob

Eventually, they're going to have to listen.
                  bueno bob..

are you kidding me?...are you part of this society?

have you been around the past...hmmm...20 years?

it ain't happenin'...
                  "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• spanishfly48
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • May 2004

why would any one bye that CD, when they have the music already, or for 5.99 can buy it online?
                    Confuscius Say: man who go through airport door sideways goin to Bangkok

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." President George W. Bush

Your about as useful as a Poopy flavored Lolly pop

Comment

• Samsonite
                      Head Fluffer
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by spanishfly48
                      why would any one bye that CD, when they have the music already, or for 5.99 can buy it online?
                      Actually it is number 5 on the Internet Sales thing...

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

Just saw the review of BOBW in RollingStone and I am confused. RS has ALWAYS bagged VH, never giving them an ounce of respect during the DAVE (REAL VAN HALEN) era. Now, they simply go with the rest, BLENDER comes to mind, who now want to jump on the DAVE & VAN HALEN bandwagon. Maybe the OLD cocksuckers who worked there during the 80's-90's have FINALY moved on, and a fresh set of music critics are letting their EARS tell them what has been common knowledge for years; DAVE MADE VAN HALEN. "Sixteen of the thirty-six tunes here are POWERFUL EXAMPLES of THE GREATEST PARTY BAND OF THE PAST twenty-five years. From 1978 to 1985, VAN HALEN......"
                        Yep, another review that hits the nail on the head. NOT that we needed anybody to tell us that.

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                          bueno bob..

are you kidding me?...are you part of this society?

have you been around the past...hmmm...20 years?

it ain't happenin'...
                          Am I part of this society? Well, yeah, sorta...lol...and I've been paying attention over the last 20 years, too, but I try to keep optimistic that this whole thing can finally work out the RIGHT way.

It just seems far too...I don't know, wierd to me that this (being Van Halen/DLR) won't end the right way, the way it started, the way it SHOULD end...as it began...

I've read a lot of your posts POJO, and I totally respect you and all, but I guess I'm just hanging on to the threads...fuck, man, that's all that's left at this point for me. Just the blind hope that Ed & Al will pull their heads out of their asses, everybody can check their ego at the door and Van Halen could actually let themselves out the door on a high note...not like this...I'm just hoping against all hope here, because stranger things have happened and anything in the world is yet possible.
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2004

Wheres the picture?

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2004

Try to post it on here

Comment