• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Ohio State athletic director to retire

By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer
    January 5, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger is retiring after a decade featuring some of the Buckeyes' greatest victories and biggest embarrassments.

From the time Maurice Clarett led the Buckeyes to the national championship in 2002, the school's athletic department has been beset by NCAA investigations of its football and basketball programs.

The school announced the retirement in a news release Wednesday. Geiger, 65, and university president Karen Holbrook were scheduled to appear at a news conference later in the day.

It was not immediately known when Geiger's retirement would take effect. Geiger, who has been AD since 1994, has 17 months left on his contract.

After leading Ohio State to the national title as a freshman, Clarett was suspended for lying to investigators during an NCAA probe of allegations that he received improper benefits from a family friend.

Last month, the school imposed a one-year postseason tournament ban on its men's basketball team over an alleged $6,000 payment to a recruit by former coach Jim O'Brien.

Ohio State president Karen Holbrook said the firing of O'Brien on June 8 was the first step in appeasing NCAA investigators. She and Geiger said more penalties may be coming.

In football, quarterback Troy Smith was suspended for the Alamo Bowl for accepting benefits from a booster.

Clarett has accused football coach Jim Tressel of setting him up with cars, said boosters provided him with no-show jobs and that Ohio State professors gave breaks to football players.

A search of court records by The Associated Press revealed at least 14 arrests involving 14 football players in the period following Tressel's hiring in January 2001 and May 2004. Others, such as Smith and running back Lydell Ross, were suspended for at least one game following other disciplinary problems.

Comment

• redblkwht
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

This move all of a sudden has me thinking something IS going
      on at OSU. unless the janitors are out on clean up.
      If so the NCAA just wanted Geigers head & got it..case closed?
      hopefully.

EUAS

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

If something's still brewing, it won't stop at Geiger...

As I said before, it could happen anywhere, just happened to bite OSU this time....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• High Life Man
          Commando
          • Jan 2004

Ha!

Let the executions begin.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

My guess here is that the one thing after another that's been going on for the better part of the past 10 years has gotten to him...

of course...he makes all the hires...

Nothing major will happen at OSU...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

WTF??????

Word is colorful former NFL head coach Jerry Glanville is quietly being considered for an assistant coach's job at Ohio State. Glanville, who coached both the Houston Oilers and Atlanta Falcons, recently withdrew as a candidate for the head coaching job at Northern State (S.D.) -- largely because his eyes are set on being an assistant under OSU head coach Jim Tressel.
              -- Cleveland Plain Dealer
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• redblkwht
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

If hired im wondering if he will
                leave that notorious Elvis seat
                at the Shoe..LMFAO!

EUAS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

This is amazing to me that Tressel would hire a guy that would be this much of a distraction. I'm not saying that Glanville doesn't know his football...but OSU right now is in enough trouble than to have this guy there spouting his mouth off and leaving tickets for Elvis...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

This year...Thad Matta roles to a great recruiting class...nabbing the #12 player in the land...PG Armon Bassett...and the top JC SG in Sylvester Mayes...

but it's next year's class that has everyone buzzing...

the #1 player in the land...7 footer Greg Oden committed to OSU...with his PG teammate Mike Conley...

the #2 SG in the land...Daequan Cook committed to OSU...

the #5 SF in the land...David Lighty...committed to OSU...

and are in the running for 8 more 4 or 5 star recruits...Thad Motta is about to make OSU a national contender...it's about time...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

The new age limit in the NBA's CBA helps OSU land Oden.

@^*&^!$!)#*#^&

Comment

• Longdongsilver
                        Groupie
                        • Aug 2004

How bout that # al, I mean since you actually called you should have it right. Why the dragging of the feet. Ask the clown for proof and he starts backpeddling. No guts.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Yeah...Oden with all that bullshit about wanting to play...lmfao...in college...

we're going to hear that alot...

and what's up with that last post Al?

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Oh just cussin' and swearin' ... I want every blue chipper to go to Michigan.

That's all.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

Is Michigan planning on firing Amaker any time soon?

Comment

• ALinChainz
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Longdongsilver
                                How bout that # al, I mean since you actually called you should have it right. Why the dragging of the feet. Ask the clown for proof and he starts backpeddling. No guts.
                                Oh I do, and I know who I talked to. Never heard of you, so I filled her in.

Look, the big boys are talking sports here ... and seeing you're only into little boys, that leaves you out, doesn't it?

Comment

Working...