Results 1,561 to 1,600 of 1658

Thread: THE Ohio State University Chatter

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OSU had no business losing that game in the second half like that. They didn't seem to know what to do on offense with Thomas out.
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sully gone, but Deshaun coming back. That's about what I expected. Still look like a top ten team next year. They'll need to figure out where to get some more offense, outside of Thomas, Smith, and Craft. Thompson and Scott looked like they we're able or allowed to shoot this year.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh, swell. From my local paper's sports page this morning.

Sporting News publishes investigation of Urban Meyer and Florida

Sun Sentinel

GAINESVILLE –
    A Sporting News investigation published on Monday takes a look at the decline of Florida football under Urban Meyer, alleging drug use among players and preferential treatment for elite players during the former coach's tenure.

Meyer resigned in Dec. 2010 after six seasons at Florida, citing health reasons, and was hired at Ohio State on Nov. 28, 2011. After winning two national championships in three seasons, Meyer coached Florida to an 8-5 mark in his final season.

The Sporting News article details a lack of punishment for elite players during Meyer's tenure. Among them, that former receiver Percy Harvin attacked Billy Gonzales, then his position coach, in 2008; that Harvin refused to participate in an offseason conditioning drill in 2007, prompting the strength coaches to let the players play pick-up basketball as conditioning; that former CB Janoris Jenkins failed two drug tests and was not punished by Meyer; and that former safety Bryan Thomas was given a medical redshirt following a series of knee injuries to make room for new recruits.

The story suggests that Meyer lost control of the program in his last couple years at Florida and goes on to wonder whether the same could happen at Ohio State.

Read the Sporting News story here.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn, that's straight out of a "Blue Mountain State" script!

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The story suggests that Meyer lost control of the program in his last couple years at Florida and goes on to wonder whether the same could happen at Ohio State.[/I]

Read the Sporting News story here.
    Well, his last 3 years were a National Championship, a 12-1 season with a win in a BCS bowl (and the only loss to the ultimate National Champion), and one 8-5 year. I'll take that.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    good start for the Urban era.

...and what a catch by Devin Smith...

Last edited by damngoodtimes; 09-03-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    plus, Michigan lost...great day!!

also, some love for OHIO knocking off the NittanyTickleMonsters

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Oh, swell. From my local paper's sports page this morning.

A Sporting News investigation published on Monday takes a look at the decline of Florida football under Urban Meyer, alleging drug use among players and preferential treatment for elite players during the former coach's tenure.

The story suggests that Meyer lost control of the program in his last couple years at Florida and goes on to wonder whether the same could happen at Ohio State.
    I had my doubts about Urb. I've voiced my opinion on how I believed he ran the UF program, and how I DIDN'T want Ohio State football to be ran the same way-how I didn't want this program to turn into the Miami teams from the late 80's-early 90's, sacrificing integrity for success on the field, turning Ohio State into Thug U, which is where UF was headed.

Then I heard Urb speak on the subject during a coaches' conference after he was hired here.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt...for now.

I believe he lost control of the UF program because he never had 100% control to begin with. There must have been some underlying circumstances never made public, that drove him into "retirement" other than his health and family. He has hinted that it was the case, citing that "dealing with people that were not relatives or even friends" of some of his players, that "distractions" and "outside influences" were interfering with the team, or how he chose to run it, because of certain individuals that "had a vested interest" in the players he was coaching.

That may be why he loves Tebow so much. Tebow must have seemed like Lot , living in Sodom and Gomorrah, to Urban Meyer.
    If the UF program was really that shady, I can't blame him for bailing before the program was sunk, as well as his future. I never heard him make comments like that about Bowling Green or Utah.

He also made clear before taking the job at Ohio State that there "were no more surprises behind door number 1, door number 2, or door number 3" , which means to me, he doesn't want to take responsibility for any future violations, meaning if there are any, he WILL be responsible.

I'll say this-had Tressell not stepped down, the special teams and defense would probably never improved.Tress wouldn't have fired anyone, and he should have. Meyer addressed those issues verrry quickly.

But make no mistake, if this program falls under any more NCAA "violations", or if he has a losing record to Mishitgan, Buckeye Nation and all it's minions will eat him alive.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    sloppy 4th quarter, but an otherwise good win today over a UCF team that isn't half bad. there won't be any real resistance until the 29th up in E. Lansing.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Something's wrong..

Meyer wants to bring heat on the QB's, then get burned by the run. Stop the run-get torched by the WR's.

A lack of balance.

I thought the D would improve from last year, not get worse.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    I believe he lost control of the UF program because he never had 100% control to begin with. There must have been some underlying circumstances never made public, that drove him into "retirement" other than his health and family. He has hinted that it was the case, citing that "dealing with people that were not relatives or even friends" of some of his players, that "distractions" and "outside influences" were interfering with the team, or how he chose to run it, because of certain individuals that "had a vested interest" in the players he was coaching.

But make no mistake, if this program falls under any more NCAA "violations", or if he has a losing record to Mishitgan, Buckeye Nation and all it's minions will eat him alive.

I wanted to post in this thread before and it got away and I forgot about it for awhile. I am a Florida alum, grew up in the state and know people connected with the program at Florida. People who are big boosters to the school, Bull Gators they are called. Anyway, the situation with Urban Meyer was quite different than what was portrayed on television and what you allude to above about having control of the team is 100% SPOT ON. The reason he left UF was constant meddling of influential boosters, most notably in the case of Cam Newton, which was the final straw for Meyer.

You see Meyer recruited Newton, he was Urban's ultimate prototypical QB to run his offense. When he looked at Cam he probably got a hardon the size of a basset hound. He DID NOT recruit John Brantley, who has none of the skills required to run that offense. He made it work in the beginning with Chris Leak but Leak was to John Brantlame what the New Lamborghini Aventador is to a fucking school bus. Why was Brantlame there? MONEY. LOTS of money. Millions of dollars donated by the Brantlame family (who HAD a great football tradition at the university) to UF. Do you REALLY think they got rid of Cam Newton over a hot laptop? When other players were fighting, getting DUIs and getting busted with weed all around him? REALLY?.......................And the story about Newton being on the verge of expulsion because he cheated on tests?.....................Totally fabricated and purposefully leaked to to the media by UF boosters to make their decision to get rid of Cam Newton seem like the right thing while he was steamrolling every team he faced in Auburn en route to a Heisman and a National Championship (LOL and people though Alabama did that), while Florida coaches were left holding the bag with a QB that made Noah Brindice look like Johnny Unitas. Florida would have easily won two more NCs with Cam Newton there and Urban KNEW it. If you don't think so look at Auburn before and since the Cam era. When all this went down, he was FURIOUS and that's when he fake-retired the first time. Since that night he phoned it in at UF, not recruiting hard, letting his idiot pal Steve Addazio run the offense, cashing their check and giving the school a BIG fuck you. Maybe the same thing I would have done under the circumstances, the best revenge sometimes is spending their money on your shit.

Think I am bullshitting you? Look carefully at the timeline, winning the NC, Cam's exodus, Brantlame's ascension, Urban's fake-retirement and the decline of the program. Why do you think that the "mighty" University of Florida had to settle for a half-assed unproven, no-name coach like Will Muschamp? Because the word is out in the coaching community that you will have to coach with a hand up your ass. I have personally talked off the record to an SEC coach who turned them down, as has Bob Stoops.....TWICE.

As for Urban at Ohio State? Give him a little time to get the players he wants and he will be a great coach for them. I was a little iffy about him in the beginning at UF and he proved me wrong in FUCKING HUGE fashion. He built a juggernaut at Florida (one that humiliated OSU by the way) and will put together a team that the likes of fucking Michigan won't be able to hang with. He is a GREAT coach.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    interesting take, man. who am I to say you're wrong? It had to chap his ass to lose Newton. It's obvious what a hard-on Braxton Miller gives him.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Something's wrong..

Meyer wants to bring heat on the QB's, then get burned by the run. Stop the run-get torched by the WR's.

A lack of balance.

I thought the D would improve from last year, not get worse.
    That Bucks D will be tested big-time this week with Bell. Although, if MSU had an actual QB, Bell would be a much greater challenge. It's a shame for Sparty that they have no QB play, because with Bell and that D, they could be a damn-good team.

I wanted Luke Fickell fired about halfway through that Cal game, what with all the shitty tackling.

It's been obvious so far that Urban is trying to teach these kids how to win, and he doesn't care if he doesn't take the typical conservative-coach approach (AKA what Tressell would've done). He'd rather go for it on 4th-and-1 than kick a FG, even if that FG might be the "smarter" move. He's trying to get these guys to win each of these little battles. I think he may feel a bit liberated this year, what with no championship to play for. It may cost him a game along the way, but he wants to get these kids ready for Sept 2013.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    I wanted to post in this thread before and it got away and I forgot about it for awhile. I am a Florida alum, grew up in the state and know people connected with the program at Florida. People who are big boosters to the school, Bull Gators they are called. Anyway, the situation with Urban Meyer was quite different than what was portrayed on television and what you allude to above about having control of the team is 100% SPOT ON. The reason he left UF was constant meddling of influential boosters.
    Boosters, future agents, Cam's dad, etc..I believe you.

I think some of those aforementioned influences might have been the reason Fickle started Joe Bausermann instead of Braxton Miller LAST YEAR. You';; never convince me that Bausermann was a better QB at ANY POINT was a better QB than Miller based on his performance in practice OR on the field.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whoa! I should proofread more often.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They get the win against MSU, but the secondary needs lots of work. Too soft. 6 points handed to MSU due to shitty tackling.

They desperately need a Shawn Springs/ Antoine Winfield / Mike Doss back there.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that was a good win, especially for the defense.

I have to give Luke some credit this time...MSU had ZERO rushing first downs after coming in with the nation's 3rd leading rusher.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    when did OSU and Nebraska join the Pac 12?

63 pts. Wow!

Braxton Miller is probably the best running back in the country

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pellini is a horrible coach

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Pellini is a horrible coach
    Pellini's team scored 38 points..not too shabby IMO. I will admit the Nebraska D was sodomized in the second half...and on national television. They don't have an answer for Miller. No one does. And I cant WAIT until the fucking WolverQueens take it ass-to-mouth in November!!! They'll wish they were back in Tuscalooserville taking another hillbilly butt-kicking!

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by damngoodtimes View Post
    when did OSU and Nebraska join the Pac 12?

63 pts. Wow!

Braxton Miller is probably the best running back in the country
    See, I told you guys he was better than Troy Smith! That last QB the Bucs had...I can't remember his name..I'll just call him TP. TP was only a threat running left to right, Miller looks like ...dare I say, Mike Vick...without the throwing accuracy, of course...but he's only a sophomore. Give him a little more time. That kid has a north-south burst of speed TP never had!

And it gets better..

There's a kid from Middletucky-er, Middletown, Ohio (Chris Carter's old stomping grounds) whose already committed to tOSU and almost exactly like Miller, named Jalin Marshall. Already lighting it up, this kid. So I think the stud QB trend in Columbus will continue for quite some time.

About the 63 points...I'm not sure I agree with Meyer's decision to run for a TD that late in the 4th with a 4 score lead. First and 10, 1:20 left ...Nebraska looked like they assumed tOSU were lining up in the "victory formation", then they score on it. He could have taken a knee. Urb! This isn't Florida. Have some class.

I heard Meyer wants to score 100 points. Either he's batshit crazy or he simply hates his opponents.
    Save that shit for Mishitgan.

I still see sloppy tackling. Fuck. They made Martinez look like Earl fucking Campbell on his TD run. WTF??

The secondary. They need to HIT.

On to Indiana...See you next week.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Note to Urb;

When Indiana hangs 49 points on you, no one will take you seriously.

I know, I know- a win is a win.

Well, not really. It's Indiana, FFS!! The only time IU should score that many points is during a basketball game.

Without Brax, there could have been a West Virginia vs Texas Tech moment. Fickle might want to get an early start looking for employment elsewhere.

Especially after something like this:

From The Lantern-

"Just weeks ago after the Buckeyes’ 17-16 win against Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich. came “Tape Gate” after Spartans officials said OSU sent them altered game footage before the Sept. 29 contest.

Now, or so it seems, there’s “Pizza Gate” after a 25-year-old Columbus State college student was let go from his job at Iacono’s Pizza in Shawnee Hills, Ohio, after joking with OSU co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Luke Fickell’s wife, Amy, that the Buckeyes’ defense needed to “improve” their defense.

The student, who asked Columbus affiliate Fox 28 not to be named, said he was fired after Amy Fickell called his boss Trent Iacono to file a complaint.

“I was like, you know, we should really improve on our tackling because it’s just really bad right now,” the student told Fox 28.

Iacono, though, told The Lantern that isn’t the case and that no one from the Fickell family called him to place a complaint.

Rather, he said, another employee at the restaurant overheard the exchange and notified Iacono about it.

“We can’t talk to customers that way,” he told The Lantern.

Iacono said he called to apologize to the Fickells and ask them what happened, "like any business owner would."

"We're here to provide a service not a commentary," he said.

He confirmed he terminated the employee and said the student was unaware that he was the one who called the Fickells, not the other way around.

"He's caught in a pickle because he didn't have his facts straight," Iacono said.

Similarly, OSU athletics spokesman Jerry Emig said in an email that all the Fickell family did was “order the pizza.”

Emig outlined “a slight (or a flippant remark or an inappropriate comment) was made by an employee of a retail establishment to Mrs. Fickell.”

The Fickells, Emig said in the email, “DID NOT call the manager to complain” but rather the manager “found out about the incident (presumably from someone at the restaurant).”

He said the manager called the Fickells to ask what the employee said and they told him what happened.

“(The Fickells) did not place a call to complain,” Emig said, “they also did not ask that anyone be fired. In fact, they feel terrible that this person lost his job.”

While Iacono said the Fickells regularly order pizza from his establishment, he does not personally know the family.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This year...the only thing I care about are wins...to be honest...

I would love them to go undefeated...have every game suck complete and utter grapes...

and throw 12 wrenches into the BCS...

The Braxton Miller injury yesterday was very strange...for him to be fine right now...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I really hate Penn State...and having a coach from New England makes it easier...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Penn State blocks a punt and scores a TD...

This is the most horrid game in the history of football...

In all honesty here...there aren't many more meaningful games than this one for Penn State. The talent is just going to sap dry over the next three years...

going to be painful to be a Nittany Lions fan...

7-0 PSU

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Big 10 is a joke right now...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ohio State is about to put this game away...and Braxton Miller scores again...

27-10...Ohio State...

White that out...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good Lord...

Lane Kiffin vs. Rich Rodriguez...

The Asshole Bowl

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    72-yard TD to Jake Stoneburner...

34-16...

Suck it Penn State...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OSU looked pretty impressive, especially in the 2nd half, good ballgame....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...but let's face it...

it doesn't mean a thing...

two old foes playing a meaningless game.

It probably had a lot more meaning for Penn State at this point...but Ohio State would love to go undefeated and send a suck it to the NCAA...

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    The Big 10 is a joke right now...
    The Buckeyes ARE the B1G right now. With Nebraska and Wisconsin trying to catch up.

The SEC is the REAL joke.

Auburn couldn't beat eggs with a blender, and they won a NC not long ago??
    Arkansas fell the fuck apart.
    UF can't score 20 points.
    Tennessee is fucked.
    A mid-level Big 12 team just pushed Alabama's shit in.
    South Carolina continues to give false hope.
    Half of that conferences' coaches will be unemployed by the end of the season.
    And in other news, Kentucky is still the asshole of the conference...football-wise.

Vanderbilt backed out of tOSU's 2013 schedule because of what they said would "cause a conflict in their conference schedule". That's a spineless way to say "that would cause a team from farther south than Knoxville to travel North later than mid-October." Fucking cunts.

Just look at their schedule this week. It's horseshit!

Name one other conference in NCAA football that schedules FCS teams THIS LATE in the season, and plays them all at home. To avoid playing in Lexington in November, these fucking cowards schedule FCS teams, Vandy, and Tennessee for UK late in the season, because those pussies from down South don't want to drop a conference game while they're ranked to UK, Vandy, or or Tenn. because their vagina's got chilly, like LSU did in 07.

I cant WAIT. for the plus-one!

If there is one conference that drags it's feet on where those games should be played, you can bet your ass it will be the SEC.

I'm tired of watching those cocksuckers artificially inflate their "conference" to lock down Bowl games that are damn near home games.

Most of it is shit, the mid-level teams are so-so, and the only 3 out of the 14 that deserve a top 10 ranking are Alabama, LSU and TAMU. The rest provide the air beneath their wings.

And the entire illusion began right after Ted Ginn's Kickoff return.

Fuck. The. SEC.

I hope the playoffs bring those slack-jaws to The Horseshoe in December!!

Then you will know that it has been an illusion.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    11-0

Fuck Michigan.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    11-0

Fuck Michigan.
    12-0

Who was that you mentioned?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Part-Time coach 1

Mourning the loss of Hostess coach...1/2...if you can count last season as an official anything...

Get used to it tsun...done...

and THIS WAS A REBUILD YEAR...

Perhaps Urban can take more time off next year...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rumor ha the Big 10 going to 20 teams by 2015...

should be interesting to see who else they bring in...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Besides Maryland and Rutgers ??

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ND, UNC, GT....and I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas get into the fold.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Rumor ha the Big 10 going to 20 teams by 2015...

should be interesting to see who else they bring in...
    Surely they won't still call it the Big 10 if they do expand to that many teams? It's getting ridiculous as it is right now with 12 teams.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And WolverQueen fan thought Urban Meyer was all pomp and circumstance!

3rd most FRESHMAN in the Nation, playing? Probation? No chance for a Bowl?

No problem!

Great hire with Choke, WolverQueen fan!!!

Thread Information