Thread: Bonds closing in on Ruth

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Bonds closing in on Ruth

Barry Bonds is 18 home runs away from tying Babe Ruth for second place on the all time HR list.

Now, it's a great accomplishment no doubt but I'm not excited about this. Is anyone else? The pitching is watered down, the ballparks are smaller, the ball was/is juiced and Bonds is juiced as well.

Anyone agree? Or am I just a Yankee fan who doesn't want to see the Bambino go down to the three slot?

I don't like Bonds' personality to boot.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Babe Ruth's legend is greater than Bonds, no matter what Barry does.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow Barry Bonds bashing...........what a fucking shock. Yeah, he's a piece of shit, never could play.........even though when he was a toothpick he was hitting 40 HR, winning Mvps etc. Funny how Canseco, McGwire, Caminiti etc. all broke down physically at much younger ages than Barry is now. That last comment by EVH Fanatic says it all......."plus I dont like his personality". Must be why everyone conveniently forgets about the Sammy cork incident.

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bonds is amazing. Huge numbers all around even with all the walks. You can talk about how no one was hitting homers like that when Ruth was, but it's hard to compare eras in any sport. So they were both the best of their eras as far as I'm concerned.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Figs
    Bonds is amazing. Huge numbers all around even with all the walks. You can talk about how no one was hitting homers like that when Ruth was, but it's hard to compare eras in any sport. So they were both the best of their eras as far as I'm concerned.
    Definitely the two most feared hitters of all time.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Babe Ruth had more home runs than any other team had when he hit 60.

Bonds made some remark that when he breaks Ruth's record, they'll all forget about that barrel chested guy.

To which somebody responded, and I agree...when Bonds hits 200 home runs a year, then maybe we'll forget about Ruth.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck what Barry said. It's about what goes on on the field of play. Has he said some totally idiotic things?! Fuck yeah he has! Nobody will EVER forget Ruth, he's a part of American culture. Barry will be remembered as well though.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Warham
    Babe Ruth's legend is greater than Bonds, no matter what Barry does.
    right on Warham! to any yankee fan or baseball fan in general, this statement above says it all. Take the single season homerun record for example: how often do you hear it spoke of? not much, mcguire and sosa still get more attention from 98 than Bonds does...

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLRoswegony
    right on Warham! to any yankee fan or baseball fan in general, this statement above says it all. Take the single season homerun record for example: how often do you hear it spoke of? not much, mcguire and sosa still get more attention from 98 than Bonds does...
    Of course they played the media game. Barry doesnt do that, as result of his Dad being treated bad by the media when he was a player. Sammy Sosa is known as having an even worse personality than Bonds.........at least Bonds has never been a disruptive force in the clubhouse.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLRoswegony
    Who's mcguire by the way?!

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "It's about ME!"

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Look at all the haters here tonight!"

Lou
    I wouldn't have a problem with Bonds, despite his attitude, if he didn't cheat. He doesn't even need to cheat. If he didn't do steroids I think he still would have reached 600 HR's.

He is one of the greatest ballplayers of all time, but I can't help but feel it's tainted by the 'roids. Because we'll never know what his numbers would have been if he didn't take them. And I feel the same way about Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. I wouldn't vote either of those two in the HOF by the way, especially Sammy Sosa.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He is a great player, maybe the best.

Skills That Thrill
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The guy has a great eye for the ball.

Everyone hates this guy.. and they should. He is a prick.
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Sarge
    The guy has a great eye for the ball.

Everyone hates this guy.. and they should. He is a prick.
    Not everyone hates him............Giants fans LOVE him!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bonds is an egomaniacal asshole.Hank Aaron didn't need steroids to kick ass,and he did it with style and dignity.Bonds hasn't had to deal with Jim Crow racists or death threats,and makes more in a year than Hank probably did in his whole career.I hope Bonds doesn't break Aaron's record but I'm afraid he will.As far as I'm concerned,there should be an asterisk next to Bond's record if he passes Hank.FUCK BARRY BONDS !!!!!
    Last edited by blueturk; 09-29-2004 at 12:34 PM.

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
    Not everyone hates him............Giants fans LOVE him!
    I've seen him hit a few out of SBC Park.

Mezro..it is an amazing thing to see live...crush...zoom...fucking gone...
    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let's see Bonds knock back whisky and scotch on the rocks every night, live on a diet of fried eggs, ham, meat/potatoes, womanize, and have the body of a middle-aged Sammy Hagar, and STILL pitch a complete game and hit the ball outta the park 60 times... the fact that Ruth could play the way he did, probably never even once stepping foot into a "gym" or lounge chair in the clubhouse, and never once thinking about things like "diet" and "health".... well that says it all right there... folks say Ruth never played against "black players" or "the best players"... well, Ruth was pretty damn good with or without a hangover, and he never needed steroids or fancy gym equipment to do what he did... and he never came to the plate with with the body armor of a medieval knight... lol... imagine what Ruth could have done wearing the gear Bonds wears and with all the diet and workout equipment, and if so inclined, steroids that Bonds has at his disposal... lol

Bonds is great, the greatest of his era, and one of the top 5 of all time. Asshole or not. But Bonds really should show a bit more respect for the greats of the past... in the end, Bonds is just bitter that the "greatest player of all time" as many consider him, has never been able to get it done in the post season... his numbers are total shit in playoff games... who gives a damn if you're one of the greats but you don't have any of the bling to show for it... just ask Jim Kelly and Dan Marino how much fun it is to hold 90% of the QB records, and not have one Superbowl win between them... lol

Icon.
    An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
    hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by conmee
    Let's see Bonds knock back whisky and scotch on the rocks every night, live on a diet of fried eggs, ham, meat/potatoes, womanize, and have the body of a middle-aged Sammy Hagar, and STILL pitch a complete game and hit the ball outta the park 60 times... the fact that Ruth could play the way he did, probably never even once stepping foot into a "gym" or lounge chair in the clubhouse, and never once thinking about things like "diet" and "health".... well that says it all right there... folks say Ruth never played against "black players" or "the best players"... well, Ruth was pretty damn good with or without a hangover, and he never needed steroids or fancy gym equipment to do what he did... and he never came to the plate with with the body armor of a medieval knight... lol... imagine what Ruth could have done wearing the gear Bonds wears and with all the diet and workout equipment, and if so inclined, steroids that Bonds has at his disposal... lol

Bonds is great, the greatest of his era, and one of the top 5 of all time. ####### or not. But Bonds really should show a bit more respect for the greats of the past... in the end, Bonds is just bitter that the "greatest player of all time" as many consider him, has never been able to get it done in the post season... his numbers are total #### in playoff games... who gives a damn if you're one of the greats but you don't have any of the bling to show for it... just ask Jim Kelly and Dan Marino how much fun it is to hold 90% of the QB records, and not have one Superbowl win between them... lol

Icon.
    AMEN!

Thread Information