Thread: Henry Rollins talking about DLR!

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-31-2024 @ 03:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,469 Posts

Henry Rollins talking about DLR!

David Lee Roth

I spent the 70’s locked in the prison that is school. For some, school can be a wonderful learning experience. It was for me. I learned that I truly hated it. The way I got through the ordeal was with the power of music. I lived for my records. The bands that I was into came to my rescue. The effect that a good piece of music has upon me is beyond words. I think that John Coltrane’s music, if used correctly, could stop war and cure cancer. When Ted Nugent would come roaring into town, I was there. Ted was the man—a real Rock and Roll Animal. I can remember being on my feet with barely any room to move because of all the seats and people, hearing him do "Free For All." All I wanted to do was wreck shit.
    One night, me and my pal Ian McKaye ventured out to see our main man "The Nuge." We saw an amazing thing happen. The opening band was up there playing and they weren’t acting like any other opening band. If you didn’t know any better, you would think that this band was the band that you were there to see. The guitar player had a thing that I had never heard anywhere. It was absolutely savage. And then there was the singer…the guy wasn’t trying to get your attention, he knew he had it, whether he did or not—whether you liked it or not. There was no way you would have been able to convince these guys that they weren’t in total command. They got a mixed reaction between songs. The people who weren’t going apeshit in their favor were doing so in the opposite direction. The point is, EVERYONE was going apeshit. By the end the set, most of us in the crowd were soundly and sonically in favor of this young Southern California band with their first album out, still warm from the pressing plant. Soon after their set was finished, The Motor City Madman took the stage. Something wasn’t right. It was as if someone had come into his house and re-arranged all the furniture. Between songs the crowd started to chant the name of the opening band. At first The Nuge didn’t seem to care. After a few more songs, the crowd was really going for it. Ted got pissed off went up to the mic and screamed, "FUCK VAN HALEN!!!" The rest of the gig was bullshit. Ted had kicked his own ass and he knew it. Van Halen had blown him off his own stage and they had so much fun doing it. You knew you had to go get that record so you could re-live it in your room. After that night, I became a big fan of the band and especially their singer, David Lee Roth. I read every interview I could find. The man never stopped smiling and newer shut his mouth. He was always enjoying himself, or so it seemed. People I knew who didn’t usually voice their opinions always had an opinion about that guy. Either they were into Dave or they wanted to punch that grin right off his face. I could see why a lot of people hated his guts. His band kicked ass, he looked great, you knew that he was rich and getting down with beautiful women. He talked loud, he was funny and very smart. He knew that he was the ringmaster in the greatest show on earth. One thing that I knew infuriated people was that he was in such good physical shape but would never talk about the long hours of training it takes to build and maintain a body like that.
    "I used to run but the ice kept falling out of my glass."—This is basically saying that looking this great and kicking this much ass is no problem.
    "What’s the matter, aren’t you having his much goddamn fun all the time? Cheer up!" This kind of thing can really piss some people off. "Don’t give me shit pal…I’ll fuck your girlfriend!" The man is one of my heroes. A few years after my introduction to Van and the Man, I was singing in a band myself. Dave became a different kind of inspiration because now it was I who got to go out and unleash the beast every night. I now understood where that big shit eating grin came from. It came from totally blowing all opening bands and audiences away. The hairier it gets, the wider you grin. Fuck ‘em.
    I used to get so much shit from people for being into the guy. People telling me that he was a clown, or that he was sexist. I always countered my opinion that he was into being a showman and if he was down with the ladies, more power to him. Hell, I wish it was me. Sexist? Give me a break with that bullshit. People would always ask me how I could identify with this guy. I told them that I identified with the rage in the music and the delivery. Looking around at what was happening then, you want to talk about rage and power, pure fury, the first Van Halen album makes Johnny Rotten out to be what he really was and still is, a hairdresser. While writing this article, the first VH CD is in its third play. That record is, I don’t know how many years old, and it wipes the floor with most records coming out these days.
    For several years, world tours and six awesome albums, Van Halen destroyed the earth and everybody who went to the show had a damn good time. I know I did. Dave dressed the sets and choreographed all the moves. "If all the world’s a stage, I want better lighting." Their sixth record 1984 was their best seller. I played that one at hard volume this morning and yes, it makes ALL of these MTV dudes pale. Poison? I’m supposed to be into that? Get the fuck out of here.
    Speaking of getting the fuck out, Roth quit Van Halen and from the interviews, it wasn’t very clean split. To say that there were some hard feelings would be approaching it. In the meantime, the band hired on a new singer. Sammy Hagar, one of the most incredible turn-offs known to mankind—diabolical.
    Around the same time Dave split from the band, the band I was in broke up. I was either going to destroy or sink. Right on time, Dave’s first solo album Eat ’em and Smile hit the racks. It was a good shot in the arm. Soon I was in the studio doing my first solo record. I played Dave’s record all the time. The first song on it is so great. "Yankee Rose"—so crass and thunderous. "…Guess who’s back in circulation, now I don’t know what you may have heard, but what I need right now is the original good time girl…"
    Dave was now the underdog, out on his own. The LP and Dave garnered all kinds of awards in Rolling Stone: Worst LP, Dressed and Male Vocalist. Awesome. Everybody had an opinion. It made me pull for him even more. I saw the tour, the second of two nights at the Inglewood Forum. It was so cool. He came out and introduced himself, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, DAVID LEE ROTH!!!" and then fire, lights, explosions and the set started. What a crass motherfucker. What if you could do that kind of thing when you went into restaurants and funerals. Make no mistake, he and the band kicked ass that night.
    Dave is part huckster, part Al Jolson. A song and dance man. He might not be on the cover of every rock magazine like he used to be, but no one lasts in that arena forever. He lasted longer and better than a lot of them. I am not going to name names, but looking at the trades and listening to what’s out there, I think it best to leave the mag covers to these new guys who grew up listening to him. What the hell.
    When I caught up with Dave, he was on a break from shooting film for his next video. Dave is high--high energy, high impact. He takes his fun seriously. "Yes, I take what I do very seriously…it’s what everybody thinks about what I doing that I don’t take seriously." At first, I was nervous about talking with him. That didn’t last long though, he had me laughing too fast.
    When not onstage or in the studio, Dave has been known to punctuate his life with voyages to distant locales to deal up close and personal with the terrain and its inhabitants. Such journeys include trips to New Guinea, the Amazon River and most recently, a trek through the Himalayas as well as a kayak mission in the South Pacific. These experiences give him a perspective that you might not get here in town. Take it Dave:
    "Here in the city, not getting eaten by something is down around number twenty-eight on your priority list…when you’re deep water kayaking in the South Pacific, not getting eaten suddenly up around two or three…This is healthy."
    I ask Dave about the steaming jungles of New Guinea, where the paper on your passport rots right there in your hand. He told me about seeing a three day dance ceremony called a "Sing-Sing," where tribes from all over come and try to outdance each other. It’s a big throw-down, a party out in the jungle to see who has the scariest looking crew. Dave described it as "Christmas and the Tet Offensive rolled into one." After dealing with that for a few days where "the breakfast of champions isn’t cereal, it’s the opposition," a stadium show in front of fifty thousand people is not really anything to get nervous about. This is perspective.
    I hit Dave with a quote of his, a thing that I had been doing all night (I am a well-versed Rothologist).
    "Dave, I read in an interview that you said your main motivation for performing was ‘Fear and revenge.’ That was a while ago, how about these days?"
    "I was very competitive then, with the powers that be. I still make the joke which I got from John Wayne in ‘The Alamo’ ‘There’s a lot of pretenders to the throne here, we can’t stop them from coming on, but we can arrange for them to limp home.’ I always took that to heart. I had something to prove. There was a lot of rage there, a lot of fury, and a lot of fun and celebrations along the way. After a while I realized that I would never be happy unless I was doing it for myself and not doing things to compete, not even concerning myself with it because I don’t consider myself a part of any specific musical group. It’s not heavy metal, it’s not pop, although there’s elements of both. It’s not purely vaudeville or big band yet those elements are intact. I used to be worried about what it is. Now I don’t care, I guess it’s the difference between the way Tom Selleck and Marlon Brando act. One is a result-oriented performance and the other is just being it."
    "We take the Honda principle which is, ‘If two is good then five is better,’ and we go with the Cecil B. DeMille kind of vision, with a cast of thousands or as many as we can afford. Most of the characters in my films are passive, se you really are drawn into the scene. There are layers to it so you can watch these videos fifty times and find things in the background. It takes up a long time to put one of these together—roughly about a month and a half. You have one inspiration at 5:30 in the morning in some after-hours dive on the East Coast and you spend the next four and a half weeks getting up at 5:30 in the morning trying to make it transpire onto the screen just like you dreamt it between your ears or in your pants as the case may be—the visceral stuff’s even harder to get up there."
    Dave and the band have been hitting the bricks almost every night, practicing over and over the songs that they will take on tour. "It’s a labor of love. If you’re in this for things other than the music—and we’re all in this for things other than the music… The guy who said that money can’t buy happiness didn’t know where to go shopping. I’m not ruling out greed and avarice at all. But if those things are higher up on the list for you than the music, the whole parade will pale for you in the hundredth hour of vocal practice."
    So where does this guy get off? Probably more often than most.
    "My whole thing is based on—and this is for me, mind you—that you have to discipline yourself, and through his discipline will come some level of achievement, and from this achievement will come your pride. There’s nothing else but pride in all of this. The money comes and goes, the women come and go—but your pride can remain. It’s pride that gets John Lee Hooker up the hill. It’s pride brought Muhammad Ali back, It got Quayle elected to Vice President. Absolutely I’m not a supporter there, but I can salute the pride."
    When the David Lee Roth band hit the road, they bring the gear: bicycles, cross-country skis, mountain climbing equipment.
    "What we call it in the basement, in slang, is ‘expert sportsman, world class mountaineering athletic type,’ the medical term in Latin is ‘Fun-Hog.’ I’m not good at any of it, but hey, we do dozens of things. To me, music always has to look like it sounds. Whatever that means to you, it should transpire. I like to use a lot of knees and elbows."
    Dave relates how he and some of the crew go for long bike rides in cities on tour. They don’t worry about remembering which way they went, they just go and when they are ready to quit, they call the hotel and get the courtesy van to bring them in. Sometimes Dave and Company have ended up in some ‘hoods that made the hotels downright nervous. Many nights on the tour, Dave and a handful of fellow Fun-Hogs will get in his bus and drive overnight to the next town where they will hook up with local climbers and spend the time before soundcheck repelling of the local range. Sometimes they hit it five days straight. "You’re dropping dead, but hey, you did it."
    Our talk went from New Guinea to Erie, Pennsylvania, from mountain climbing to meeting James Brown, videos, all kinds of stuff. It was great. I left feeling good. I told the cab driver that I had just spent the evening hanging with Diamond Dave. The guy lit up, looked into the rearview and said, "Day-veed Lee Roth! Cally-for-nee-ya gurr-ells!"
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Diamond Mike
    Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2007 @ 11:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks

looooong post lol
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sorry, I didn't have any pictures lol.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Awesome read, though!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-04-2013 @ 08:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Great read, kudos!

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2021 @ 02:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I thought this chapter was on this site somewhere..

Anyway, right on the button. Rollins & Black Flag kick ass!! My favorite 80's band after VH.

guwapo_rocker
    Thanks WARF!

The Alexster
    Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2005 @ 01:54 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Great shit.
    When was that from? what year??

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually, I saved this from the old archived roth army site.

I'm not sure if it still exists.

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2021 @ 02:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

"Do I Come Here Often? (Black Coffee Blues, Pt. 2)"
    by Henry Rollins

Chapter 2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1880...49#reader-page

His book "Get in the Van" is a GREAT read.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    05-19-2010 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Man, props to Rollins for his nod towards Dave.

That's also a really well written chapter -- not overly wordy, to the point, and still really intelligent.

thefive

Re: Henry Rollins talking about DLR!

Originally posted by WARF
    David Lee Roth
    Speaking of getting the fuck out, Roth quit Van Halen and from the interviews, it wasn’t very clean split. To say that there were some hard feelings would be approaching it. In the meantime, the band hired on a new singer. Sammy Hagar, one of the most incredible turn-offs known to mankind—diabolical.
    That has been my sig for 4 months now.
    Rollins is right on the money with Sammy.

It isn't Van Halen
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-26-2007 @ 01:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

What really struck me about Rollins and his spoken word gigs is how damned intellegent and engaging he is.

I could never get tired of listening to him.

thefive
    Originally posted by freak
    What really struck me about Rollins and his spoken word gigs is how damned intellegent and engaging he is.

I could never get tired of listening to him.
    Yep very interesting.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    11-24-2009 @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

His thoughts put Dave in his proper context and I agree withhim with how Dave is inspiring, personality and attitude especially. Dave has been an inspiration to me in some of the lowest times in my life, reminding me of how to live.

Dave is in that rare class of human who challenge themselves to see what happens, not always for personal gain. The confidence gained and self knowledge is much more important then the challenge being mastered. Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee are two people who fit this mold well.

Lesser people (the sisters, the critics) who will not step outside themselves and challenge are the people who sling the most shit his way. He smiles and laughs knowing that while they can hurt certain aspects of his financial life and public perception, they can't touch the true him. It is inspiring and as history goes on, his true place in pop culture history is becoming clear. Even the critics are starting to get it, seeing VH become a joke.

My hats off to Rollins for saying it intelligently and correctly.

Rockin' The SouthWest
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-25-2014 @ 10:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

henry rollins is a sellout and he sucks.

If I'm not mistken, I saw him being arrested on some cop type show for failing to pay his child support.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Henry Rollins also played, 'Vanilla Ice" in the 3rd bass video...

Pop goes the weasel...

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Originally posted by WARF
    Actually, I saved this from the old archived roth army site.

I'm not sure if it still exists.
    WARF, FUCKING BRILLIANT!!! Rollins totaly GETS DAVE and the DAVE INTERVIEW is STELLAR!!! 5 STAR vote Bro!!
    BRAVO!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

lms2
    I enjoyed the read a great deal. Not being a member of the old army site, or a Rollins fan, this was new material to me.

He smiles and laughs knowing that while they can hurt certain aspects of his financial life and public perception, they can't touch the true him.
    This part is debateable. While I love Diamond Dave and would not say anything bad about him on any site, but most specially not on this site, heres my thought.

Eddie goes overboard with the whole "I'm only human", I have problems just like everyone else thing. Dave goes overboard the other way. I think when you are in the spotlight, you need to remain positive, but sometimes, you need to step out of the spotlight and get real. I think Dave stepped into the spotlight when he was a little boy, and never stepped back out.

Anyways, I hope is truly is as happy as he seems. Hell the guy is only going on 50. He has a long time left to find what matters.

The Face In The Glass

When fortune smiles and you're winning life's race,
    And fate stores your blues on a shelf;
    Seek your reflection and examine the face,
    That shows the real truths of yourself.

For it isn't family or all of the rest,
    Who's judgment you truly must pass;
    The one who's verdict counts most at best,
    Is the face staring back from the glass.

You may fool the world everyday for years,
    Drawing glory and praise by the mass;
    But your final reward will be measured in tears,
    If you've cheated the face in the glass.

Author Unknown

"Edrobbedusall"
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2004 @ 08:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks

A nice read no doubt and I can completely understand where he is coming from.All I know is that I went to see Van halen in 81 at the tender age of 13 and it was paramount to seeing God himself,complete with life changing ramifications and an experience I'll never forget.

lms2
    So lets hear about the lifechanging ramifications.

is fuckin' yer girlfriend
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 07:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by NightProwler
    henry rollins is a sellout and he sucks.

If I'm not mistken, I saw him being arrested on some cop type show for failing to pay his child support.
    Shut the FUCK up, sheep.

Do you know what the meaning of sellout is?

Hmmmm.....Cabo Wabo, Red Rocker Sunglasses, Red Rocker Suntan lotion, etc.....

MORON.

WARF, with your permission this needs to be seen by more peeps.

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Rollins nails it again! Great fuckin post, and a big hefty swig of JACK in honor to WARF!!!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2005 @ 01:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks

LOL that *for the love of jive* and pic!

The Ox
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-27-2012 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That's a Damn Fine article lad.

Didn't Kurt Cobain like Black Flag?

I've never heard them, but i listened to some of the other bands Kurt said were good, and they REALLY wern't. Ever heard Mudhoney or the Butthole Surfers?

Terrible stuff!

teamaa104
    thats a great article

and yeah butthole surfers blew so ahrd

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

We need to get Rollins to join the Army.

Thread Information