DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Abuse the guitar with finesse. Just pretend the guitar is your bitch and slap it around until it screams and moans. It really is electric sex.

Ever notice the best, most admirable players don't baby their instruments at all? They're literally smacking the shit out of them. Players like Ed, SRV, Gary Moore, Lonnie Mack...their vibrato involved the whole neck of the guitar, not just one or two strings...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Ever notice the best, most admirable players don't baby their instruments at all? They're literally smacking the shit out of them. Players like Ed, SRV, Gary Moore, Lonnie Mack...their vibrato involved the whole neck of the guitar, not just one or two strings...
    I left my G and L out in the rain once. Brought it back inside and the action was perfect. Carved a divot into the body with my middle finger from saw-picking on the thing for 30 years.
    damn, I got issues .
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked ThrillsNSpills for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (11-30-2011)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I really think that is the secret. I just got stuck playing bass in our band and had to focus on that and kind of forgot about the guitar and then one day I picked up a guitar and my approach was way different than it used to be. I really smacked the thing around and got good things out of it. You just have to eat your Wheaties and give her a mauling. I went to the Fur Peace Ranch and brought my Jack Casady bass with me. Jack himself taught the class and I wanted to get the sustain and ringing on my bass like he got so the man himself set my bass up for me. He set the neck perfectly straight and raised the strings quite a bit. I got the sound I wanted but man what a workout on the hands! So I played that setup for a few years and grabbed a guitar and man. Discovered something new.

Jack started off as a guitar player and then out of necessity got stuck playing the bass because the band he was in needed a bass player. So he incorporated melodic playing, finger vibrato, and chords into his bass playing. He approached it from a guitar player standpoint. You do that on a bass and then go to a guitar, WOW! You get a harmonic and resonance thing going that you just don't get playing the instrument with a lighter touch. You really have to build up your hands to do it though.

Eddie is basically playing funk on the guitar. Mean Streets is nothing but slapping and popping the strings like a bass player. It's harder to do because the strings are smaller but that is all it is. Ed uses a lot of bass trickery on the guitar and I just really started discovering that.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 11-30-2011 at 01:49 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Actually apply these funky bass techniques to your guitar playing and see where it takes you. You will come up with some cool shit.

See the slap funk technique in Ed's playing? He's slapping the shit out of those strings.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 11-30-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yup, IIRC Ed said in an interview he came up with the "Mean Street" intro playing around with slapping ala Larry Graham, Stanley Clarke or some other Motown bassist he was digging on at the time...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2020 @ 12:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I really think that is the secret. I just got stuck playing bass in our band and had to focus on that and kind of forgot about the guitar and then one day I picked up a guitar and my approach was way different than it used to be. I really smacked the thing around and got good things out of it. You just have to eat your Wheaties and give her a mauling. I went to the Fur Peace Ranch and brought my Jack Casady bass with me. Jack himself taught the class and I wanted to get the sustain and ringing on my bass like he got so the man himself set my bass up for me. He set the neck perfectly straight and raised the strings quite a bit. I got the sound I wanted but man what a workout on the hands! So I played that setup for a few years and grabbed a guitar and man. Discovered something new.

Jack started off as a guitar player and then out of necessity got stuck playing the bass because the band he was in needed a bass player. So he incorporated melodic playing, finger vibrato, and chords into his bass playing. He approached it from a guitar player standpoint. You do that on a bass and then go to a guitar, WOW! You get a harmonic and resonance thing going that you just don't get playing the instrument with a lighter touch. You really have to build up your hands to do it though.

Eddie is basically playing funk on the guitar. Mean Streets is nothing but slapping and popping the strings like a bass player. It's harder to do because the strings are smaller but that is all it is. Ed uses a lot of bass trickery on the guitar and I just really started discovering that.
    I 100% agree. Playing bass totally changed the way I play guitar now. I even moved up to 11s on the sg and tele. still like 10s on strats and lps

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Can't get a decent "ricochet" pinch harmonic (á la Sykes or Wylde) with a feathery touch...

Once you get that going on a bass, you're solid.
    Last edited by Coyote; 11-30-2011 at 03:27 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think it's easier to do on bass because the strings are bigger. I can get great pinch harmonics just going off the tip of the pick and letting the string hit my thumb. It's a feel thing. I have the advantage of being a classical guitar player and also playing finger style bass 98% of the time. I have a lot of strength and dexterity in my right hand. It's helps.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2020 @ 12:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think it's easier to do on bass because the strings are bigger. I can get great pinch harmonics just going off the tip of the pick and letting the string hit my thumb. It's a feel thing. I have the advantage of being a classical guitar player and also playing finger style bass 98% of the time. I have a lot of strength and dexterity in my right hand. It's helps.
    There are some great harmonic overtones for some of the higher runs on bass. Anthony Hamilton's bass player is a monster at getting those tones. Still a work in progress for me.

Nitro.... I was trained in classical as well. I'm finding that I use the classical guitar right hand style more than the proper bass hand technique. Do you do this as well or have you adapted your right hand technique to the bass style over the years? Also... did you mod your epi head to gig bass through it? I tried it and it just completely distorts and doesn't grab the low like it should.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

New Stuff BUMP.

Recently got asked to do a series of articles for Seymour Duncan Pickups. Pretty frickin' stoked and honored. So here's the 1st one:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/ti...while-playing/

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-27-2020 @ 07:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

JHALE....the stuff you put up on this thread has been of great help to me. my playing has made a massive leap in improvements since you shared this stuff with us. thanks.
    Ace

13. 2 users say thank you to ace diamond for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (07-14-2015),DLR Bridge (07-13-2015)

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ace diamond View Post
    JHALE....the stuff you put up on this thread has been of great help to me. my playing has made a massive leap in improvements since you shared this stuff with us. thanks.
    Ace
    Agreed Sir Ace!

Here's your new siggy J ...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Excellent thread. Never saw this one before. Great Thrills posts, too.

16. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (07-15-2015)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

New Kramer Focus 3000

Hey...check out my new Japanese Kramer...

What pickups should I put in? It sounds good but feeds back too much.

It is so mint, I can't believe it. $250 all in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I did just order a Seymour Duncan SH4 JB for the bridge...what about the other two? Quarter pounder or these:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...t/jb_jr_sjbj1/

Thanks

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I did just order a Seymour Duncan SH4 JB for the bridge...what about the other two? Quarter pounder or these:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...t/jb_jr_sjbj1/

Thanks

You can't really go wrong with the Quarter Pounds. Very beefy, but they're true single coils and thus will be a bit noisy. The JB (and the Jr) is recommended for the bridge position. There's no law, however, that says you can't use a bridge pickup in the neck position. I'd recommend, if you get the JB Jr. try it in the neck, would probably sound better than it may in the middle position.

If you want something by Duncan for the neck and middle that's noise-cancelling but still sounds like a single coil (dummy coil is nowhere in the audio signal path), I've had good luck with the STK-S6 in the neck, and the STK-S4 in the middle.

Last edited by jhale667; 08-15-2015 at 06:37 AM.

20. Thanked jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (08-16-2015)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks Jay. I have no idea how this will sound, but I ordered the following last week:

Seymour DuncanSTK-S10 YJM Fury Stack Neck Pickup White

Seymour DuncanSSL-5 RW/RP Custom Staggered Single Coil Middle Pickup White

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-27-2020 @ 07:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

nice job

Thread Information