Thread: Wolfgang van halen says sammy hagar era "doesn't get any respect"

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

On a similar note, the Sunset Sound YouTube channel (which has really interesting stuff) had a video in which one of their engineers described an entirely-finished, mixed & compiled 4-CD archive release put together completely from outtakes from the first six albums. It was FOUR FULL CD'S FULLY MIXED AND FINISHED.

The guy said there wasn't a TON of unreleased songs in there...but there were a handful. There were also some interesting studio jams, some alternate takes of tracks like ERUPTION, CATHEDRAL, etc. And some really interesting alternate takes (a completely different and interesting alternate take of LITTLE DREAMER, a totally different version of the final master of HOT FOR TEACHER with the entire opening guitar intro doubled with Eddie's bass and a totally different vocal/lyric part by Dave for this song, etc.).

Additionally, he found the original 24-track multi-track masters to the 1977 WARNER DEMOS (26 songs). He proceeded to remix them from scratch, using the sound of the debut album's final mixes as his reference point on how to mix the '77 demos. He said they sounded beautiful. Years later, Eddie claimed they were trying to release the '77 DEMOS as a new release to promote with their 2015 tour but they couldn't find the master tapes, so they released TOKYO DOME instead. But Eddie was super-mistaken. While they didn't have the master mixes made in late '77, they had all 26 demos completely remixed by this Sunset Sound engineer from 2005 or so and could have simply used those. And Eddie forgot and communication with Warners was apparently not very good at the time.

For this set, Wolfgang doesn't even need to take time away from his shitty music or his 15 meals he eats every day. He just needs to literally give the thumbs up to finally release this amazing set...with all the outtakes, alternate takes, unreleased songs and the complete Warners '77 demos. Again, it's completely mixed and finished. The engineer was sent into the studio by Warner Bros. to compile this set in the mid 2000s (2004-2005) to do this set, completed the work and he sent finished CDs of his work to all the band members. And the band decided they didn't want this out at the time because they were still in the process of doing reunion work with Hagar and didn't want a Dave archive set "confusing the issue." So it was delayed indefinitely.

If Wolfgang gave the thumbs up to release this now, it would be one of the most exciting things to happen to Van Halen fans in ages. Since...since...since A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH came out 11 fucking years ago.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-19-2023),ZahZoo (03-19-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    That song is Woke as fuck.
    LMFAO. Yeah, LOSS OF CONTROL is so "politically-correct."

I played LOSS OF CONTROL for my eight-year-old daughter recently (big VH fan and she honestly told me that "the other singer sucks"). As I played LOC, her eyes widened and she said, "This song is crazy!" Then she started thrashing around the room.

I was so proud.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It’s why he’s fat, lacks charisma and is boring as fuck.
    Seriously, I often wonder: WHY IS HE SO FAT?

Seriously...Wolfgang is so fucking fat, joggers take laps around him for a serious work-out.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    That's just it. Chubby Wolf thinks this is some sort of issue of dumb fans just insisting on Dave or nothing without having done their research. Trust me, Wolfgang: we've inspected and tried this music the same way you inspect and devour an 18-inch loaded pizza by yourself.

We're not just idiots who choose Dave because we're following some sort of crowd-with-pitchforks mentality. I have almost never met a fan on here that doesn't have a similar story of hoping for the best after Dave left and ending up disappointed or even disgusted after hearing inferior album after inferior album Van Hagar album in Dave's glorious wake. WE ALL TRIED. And Van Hagar failed to impress. And some people kept the circus going because their girlfriends loved WHEN IT'S LOVE or whatever or because they just wanted to hear Eddie play.

But while I still run into people all the time who tell me FAIR WARNING changed their lives, I DO NOT run into people who tell me that FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE changed their lives. It's polished mediocrity. Nothing more.
    I think Sammy Hagar music is why there are so many gender confused people these days.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,614 Posts

Eddie used to rave, "Wait 'til you hear this kid! He's an incredible musician!" Well, I waited and hoped it would be something special.
    Playing and writing are two different things.

All the chops in the world mean nothing if the songs stink.

7. 3 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (03-19-2023),Terry (03-19-2023),Von Halen (03-20-2023)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Seriously...Wolfgang is so fucking fat, joggers take laps around him for a serious work-out.
    Sitting on his ass playing video games and eating poorly. Seed oils, processed food and corn syrup and too much of it combined with little physical activity. He probably has heart disease already.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post

Bravo! You Tube is full of bedroom virtuosos. Most of them if any will never become entertainers. It’s the whole package. You have to have songs that move people and if that was so easy more people would be doing it. Experienced songwriters wish even they knew where that lightning in the bottle comes from. Then there is presentation. You have to become something that has an impact on the public. You know you have arrived when people start copying you or you influenced a new style.

Nobody is getting wet panties over Wolfgang nor do the guys want to be him. None of his songs have made anyone go Holly Fuck! What power in the universe sent this music to us?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Wake me up when the bras and panties start flying towards Wolfgang and men are copying him in hopes of getting laid.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If they went back to those four albums and had Dave put all new vocals on those songs, I'd actually be pretty excited (obviously, that's a pipe dream...I don't expect it to happen...I'm just saying it hypothetically).

Soon somebody probaly will make AI Dave sing Dreams or something like this. Too bad it won't change the lyrics or vocal melody.
    Last edited by Silexxx; 03-19-2023 at 04:58 AM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

that sounds like shit

13. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (03-19-2023)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

Indeed! It's really pathetic...because they already weren't NEARLY the band they had been with Dave. But that live album is such a joke. You take a classic band that hasn't had a live album before and then put out this bloated, boring, lazy live LP with a REALLY dull setlist (for God's sakes, it has practically every song from F.U.C.K., which is in my opinion VH's worst-ever album). And even the individual solos on this album are the pits. Just boring arena rock crap without any of the fun that happened during the Dave tours.

To be honest, a live album just made from the New Haven show they filmed for LIVE WITHOUT A NET would have been a much better live album. It was still nowhere near the level the band had shown on the VAN HALEN II, WACF, FAIR WARNING or 1984 tours...but at least it had some good performances ("5150"). But F.U.C.K. took all the very worst elements of Van Hagar and spread them out over a bloated 2-disc mess and basically, I'm sure, made new fans who decided to check it out take a listen and say, "Uh...I don't get it. Why is this band so celebrated?" You know you're in trouble when the very few Dave-era songs on this album are just terrible. The performance of JUMP on LIVE: RHRN is embarrassing. It's such a shitty, awful performance that makes me want to punch Hagar in the face over and over again. The way he keeps yelling, "Jump on..., jump on..., jump on..." JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP! YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT MADE THIS A GREAT SONG!! YOU RUINED IT, YOU CHEESE-HEAD SON OF A BITCH!!
    I think FORD once posted here that the closing cover of Led Zeppelin's song (Rock & Roll?) may have been a studio toss off with a canned audience laugh track overlayed. I think some question as to if Van Hagar ever covered that song on that tour or if it was ever on a set list...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That song is Woke as fuck.
    I didn't know a song about being anally violated by aliens is "Woke" or even what the definition of that is...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Note to Yngwie...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    On a similar note, the Sunset Sound YouTube channel (which has really interesting stuff) had a video in which one of their engineers described an entirely-finished, mixed & compiled 4-CD archive release put together completely from outtakes from the first six albums. It was FOUR FULL CD'S FULLY MIXED AND FINISHED.

The guy said there wasn't a TON of unreleased songs in there...but there were a handful. There were also some interesting studio jams, some alternate takes of tracks like ERUPTION, CATHEDRAL, etc. And some really interesting alternate takes (a completely different and interesting alternate take of LITTLE DREAMER, a totally different version of the final master of HOT FOR TEACHER with the entire opening guitar intro doubled with Eddie's bass and a totally different vocal/lyric part by Dave for this song, etc.).

Additionally, he found the original 24-track multi-track masters to the 1977 WARNER DEMOS (26 songs). He proceeded to remix them from scratch, using the sound of the debut album's final mixes as his reference point on how to mix the '77 demos. He said they sounded beautiful. Years later, Eddie claimed they were trying to release the '77 DEMOS as a new release to promote with their 2015 tour but they couldn't find the master tapes, so they released TOKYO DOME instead. But Eddie was super-mistaken. While they didn't have the master mixes made in late '77, they had all 26 demos completely remixed by this Sunset Sound engineer from 2005 or so and could have simply used those. And Eddie forgot and communication with Warners was apparently not very good at the time.

For this set, Wolfgang doesn't even need to take time away from his shitty music or his 15 meals he eats every day. He just needs to literally give the thumbs up to finally release this amazing set...with all the outtakes, alternate takes, unreleased songs and the complete Warners '77 demos. Again, it's completely mixed and finished. The engineer was sent into the studio by Warner Bros. to compile this set in the mid 2000s (2004-2005) to do this set, completed the work and he sent finished CDs of his work to all the band members. And the band decided they didn't want this out at the time because they were still in the process of doing reunion work with Hagar and didn't want a Dave archive set "confusing the issue." So it was delayed indefinitely.

If Wolfgang gave the thumbs up to release this now, it would be one of the most exciting things to happen to Van Halen fans in ages. Since...since...since A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH came out 11 fucking years ago.
    All sorts of things could have been done re: CVH-oriented releases. Should have been done, ages ago.

These days, the idea of a CVH dvd release...do people even buy dvd's anymore? Plus, so much CVH footage has leaked out already...still, I'd be a bit hard-pressed to imagine there aren't some full-length, pro-shot shows from the 1984 tour somewhere. Or old Super 8 footage or 16mm footage of the first three CVH tours sitting around in one of the CVH band members private collections.

Or all the old audio you mentioned that apparently got to the remixing stage in advance of a proposed release.

I just assume by this point none of that is ever going to see the light of day. Scratched my head as to why not for literally decades. Now, I'm resigned to having to make do with the 6 pack, the BOV1 Roth tracks, ADKOT, my own CVH audio/video boot collection and the bits and pieces that drip out and get uploaded online.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Note to Yngwie...
    Yeah, but he has that one phrygian mixolydian classical scale down COLD, man!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think FORD once posted here that the closing cover of Led Zeppelin's song (Rock & Roll?) may have been a studio toss off with a canned audience laugh track overlayed. I think some question as to if Van Hagar ever covered that song on that tour or if it was ever on a set list...
    Pretty sure most of RHRN was re-done in the studio. I seem to remember Hagar mentioning it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yeah, but he has that one phrygian mixolydian classical scale down COLD, man!
    Yngwie is still living in a big house and drives several Ferraris. If that is sucking many people would like to suck that bad.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yngwie is still living in a big house and drives several Ferraris. If that is sucking many people would like to suck that bad.
    Wouldn't deny his level of ability or success, even if he is a washed-up, speed-wanking, sped-up Blackmore clone has-been who pees sitting down.

22. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (03-20-2023)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't deny his level of ability or success, even if he is a washed-up, speed-wanking, sped-up Blackmore clone has-been who pees sitting down.
    He still puts asses in seats and that’s the game. He avoided a day job for decades and he gets to go out and wank. If you are Yngwie you are living the dream.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    He still puts asses in seats and that’s the game. He avoided a day job for decades and he gets to go out and wank. If you are Yngwie you are living the dream.
    Fair enough.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I thought being an asshole was Yngwie's day job...

26. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (03-20-2023)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Setlist.fm shows they did it 188 times in total.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/v...ongid=1bd65108

The real point is that Roth Van Halen would never have done such a dull no brain lack of imagination cover once they were beyond playing in bars...

28. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-21-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I thought being an asshole was Yngwie's day job...

...along with unleashing the fury.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well then so is Woifie, isn't he?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Setlist.fm shows they did it 188 times in total.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/v...ongid=1bd65108

The real point is that Roth Van Halen would never have done such a dull no brain lack of imagination cover once they were beyond playing in bars...
    And choosing one of Zep's most boring formulaic, pedestrian efforts didn't help. But the opening line is just truth; "It's been a long time since I rock and roiled." Yeah, I agree...

32. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-21-2023)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Didn't Sam and Ed play Rock And Roll at Farm Aid?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries

Bad diet. Too much sugar as a kid he looks insulin-resistant as fuck

35. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-21-2023)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

This, this is what I want to see in a revamped CVH box set. Proper mixes, outtakes, demos, rare photos (if any) and interviews with Roth, Al, Ed and yes even Mike on the writing and recording sessions. Even put that Yacht Rock fucker Templeton in there. Not this overpriced Mobile Fidelity horseshit for vinyl hipsters, no "we don't give a fuck about CVH, they don't make us the money they used to" from the suits at Warner Brothers, no sub-standard "remasters", no S P A M M Y influence, no F A T Wolf Boy Man Child opinion.

Warner Brothers is a fucking joke. Wait until Disney buys them out.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Didn't Sam and Ed play Rock And Roll at Farm Aid?
    Unfortunately, yes....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually, that was their shitty cover of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again"....

39. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (03-20-2023)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    This, this is what I want to see in a revamped CVH box set. Proper mixes, outtakes, demos, rare photos (if any) and interviews with Roth, Al, Ed and yes even Mike on the writing and recording sessions. Even put that Yacht Rock fucker Templeton in there. Not this overpriced Mobile Fidelity horseshit for vinyl hipsters, no "we don't give a fuck about CVH, they don't make us the money they used to" from the suits at Warner Brothers, no sub-standard "remasters", no S P A M M Y influence, no F A T Wolf Boy Man Child opinion.

Only if Scumcast doesn't buy them out first. At least then ADKOT would be with the rest of the catalog again, since UMG is owned by Scumcast. Similar to the string of corporate consolidations that put the Stones 60s catalog under the same corporate roof as the rest of their material finally.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

A box set exactly as you described is literally the only way I'm gonna repurchase any of the 6 pack studio material again.

42. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (03-20-2023)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I can't believe this is the same band that wrote LOSS OF CONTROL...one of the coolest, more ferocious songs ever conceived.

(And I'm someone who defends LIVE WITHOUT A NET as having some good moments from Eddie.)
    I remember that was one of the first things I saw on TV back in the day. Cause I hadn't listened to the entire 5150 album until '87. So when they started to release these snippets from Live Without Dave, that's when I heard some of the music (other than hearing WCTBL on the radio).

Needless to say I was like "Wtf is this". Oh how the Mighty VH had fallen.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

The one thing Wolfgang could do that would make me VERY interested would be to finally go through his Dad's archives and start putting together great quality archive releases. Tons of studio outtakes, live releases both from the original band (tour for the first six albums) and even a Blu-Ray release of the reunion band.

And frankly, since so much of the music in Eddie's archives is instrumental material, I hope he doesn't wait too long. I think one way he could put together an exciting new Van Halen album would be to take 10-15 top quality instrumental tracks that Eddie and Alex jammed out, overdub his own bass and backing vocals...and then GET DAVE INTO THE STUDIO (God knows, I'm sure this would be hard, but maybe he could pull off convincing Dave to come down) to lay new vocals on this unfinished instrumental material. Voila, new Van Halen album. There's enough verification that there's a SHIT-TON of material that could be whipped into shape with editing, overdubbing and remixing. But if he tried to put together an all-instrumental LP...or (even worse) if he got Cheese-Head down to do the vocals...I would love interest right there.

I love Eddie. But if they put an archive material album together, he needs Dave. That's the only way he would get fans (and the rock market in general) excited would be to piece this together into a cohesive new album with Dave singing. It's totally feasible. But he needs to stop sitting on his ass, releasing his own shitty music.

Dave isn't going to live forever.
    Wolfgang will never do this until people stop treating him as a charity case. It may be sooner than he thinks, but probably not soon enough for us older original VH fans. I don't believe his next album will sell at all. The novelty is gone. Now if only these established acts will quit giving him a spot on their tours, we might actually get what we really want out of this moron.

Based on Dave going into the studio and wrongly rerecording the Van Halen songs like he's been doing lately, I don't think it would be hard at all to get him to do as you are suggesting. I'd imagine he'd jump at the chance. Especially if Al and Mike were involved. For Wolfgang to say there is no stuff in that vault good enough to release, because his Dad released all the best stuff, is just an ignorant thing to say. He is actually denigrating all that work his Dad has on those tapes in that studio. Funny, Ed claimed there were at least 10 albums worth of great material on those tapes, yet Wolfgang wants us to believe it's all shit and not even worth the effort. What a fucking self serving douche this fat punk is. He doesn't give one fuck about VH fan, nor does he give one fuck about all the GREAT music on those tapes in that studio. What a shame. His Mother has polluted him with fat and ignorance.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't even think Sam respects himself to even compete with Dave, given he could never NOT play Roth songs live with Van Halen, and even NOW. They play either Ain't Talkin Bout Love or Unchained with The Circle or whatever. You can't get through a full show without playing a Classic Van Halen song? Enough said.

One is grade school T-ball and the other is the New York Yankees.

46. Thanked MasonL for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-21-2023)

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

And Wolf, as some have stated here, has no business talking about music from before he was even a fertilized egg. I mean he's talented. But my God, he was not only put on the pedestal, he was born on it. Dude has no clue about what it takes to get to the top. Somebody should disable his social media because he just continues to dig his own hole. Says a lot about his music if he's gotta talk so much online.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Wolfgang will never do this until people stop treating him as a charity case.
    More like his name precedes him. He knows by now no on wants to hear him play his own material (which is unoriginal and blows) and only hear him do the guitar parts his father invented. Exactly why Dave "Yellow Teeth" Grohl exploited him, why he went before a crowd of 70,000 in Limeyland and hammered out the CVH hits. You know S P A M M Y wants to do the same. I'd give this guy more respect if he was in a band with a solid songwriter and toured constantly paying dues in every shitty dive bar in the country. Goes back to when Roth was telling his stories of the early, early VH days of starving, being payed little and being hungry. Success must be earned. One thing the F A T Wolf Man Child is not hungry - not when you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Wolfgang will never do this until people stop treating him as a charity case. It may be sooner than he thinks, but probably not soon enough for us older original VH fans. I don't believe his next album will sell at all. The novelty is gone. Now if only these established acts will quit giving him a spot on their tours, we might actually get what we really want out of this moron.

Based on Dave going into the studio and wrongly rerecording the Van Halen songs like he's been doing lately, I don't think it would be hard at all to get him to do as you are suggesting. I'd imagine he'd jump at the chance. Especially if Al and Mike were involved. For Wolfgang to say there is no stuff in that vault good enough to release, because his Dad released all the best stuff, is just an ignorant thing to say. He is actually denigrating all that work his Dad has on those tapes in that studio. Funny, Ed claimed there were at least 10 albums worth of great material on those tapes, yet Wolfgang wants us to believe it's all shit and not even worth the effort. What a fucking self serving douche this fat punk is. He doesn't give one fuck about VH fan, nor does he give one fuck about all the GREAT music on those tapes in that studio. What a shame. His Mother has polluted him with fat and ignorance.
    Wolfgang was born with too many advantages for me to ever look at him as a charity case. Even after Eddie passed and that first Mammoth track was released as a tribute, I didn't let sentimentality cloud my judgment re: how I felt about the track, which - like the rest of the album - struck me as forgettable. Not gonna go the hyperbole route and say the stuff was 'the worst rock music EVER' but none of it was anything I'm ever gonna want to hear again, because none of it made me WANT to hear any of it ever again. All I'd want as a listener is for Wolfgang to do whatever it is he wants to do musically. Same as I'd want from any other musical act. Write it and record it the way you want to, release it and I'll judge if it's something I like on the merits.

I wouldn't be opposed to Roth listening to whatever home recordings Ed and Al had made which are 'in the can' and taking a pass at them, or making a run at them re: lyrics/vocals. I'd tend to wonder how fruitful this would be in that while I don't know much as to how ADKOT was made I'd have to imagine Roth listened to a lot of those recordings already when that album was being produced. Yeah, Ed claimed at various points there were anywhere from 3 to 10 album's worth of material ready to go, but Ed made all sorts of dubious claims: if the material on those tapes is along the lines of the stuff that ended up on VHIII or the BOBW 2004 Hagar tracks or lesser stuff on ADKOT such as The Trouble With Never...well, 'great' isn't a word I'd associate with that stuff.

The key factor is the word lazy. If the members of Van Halen couldn't - for whatever multitude of reasons - even greenlight a project along the lines of restoring old CVH concert footage for a dvd release (and it's not like the band themselves would have had to physically restore the footage themselves) I'm thinking the odds of getting the remaining members of Van Halen to listen to hours of Eddie demos, put in the requisite work together to expand on said demos and actually record something new...I mean, shit, the CVH lineup couldn't even get their shit together enough to do a no-brainer CVH reunion that didn't involve any new material. Took 'em 20 years of fumbling around post-1996 to even get THAT to the talking stage. Now, 3 years after Eddie has passed and they are approaching 70 years old?

I suppose anything could happen, but surely not.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You know S P A M M Y wants to do the same. I'd give this guy more respect if he was in a band with a solid songwriter and toured constantly paying dues in every shitty dive bar in the country.
    Spam's "new band" might be Hall & Cheese.....

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I wouldn't be opposed to Roth listening to whatever home recordings Ed and Al had made which are 'in the can' and taking a pass at them, or making a run at them re: lyrics/vocals.
    I don't ever see this as an option. Ever. Would happily eat my words somewhere down the line but
    anyone holding out for this is wishing in one hand and shitting in the other.

The key factor is the word lazy. If the members of Van Halen couldn't - for whatever multitude of reasons - even greenlight a project along the lines of restoring old CVH concert footage for a dvd release (and it's not like the band themselves would have had to physically restore the footage themselves) I'm thinking the odds of getting the remaining members of Van Halen to listen to hours of Eddie demos, put in the requisite work together to expand on said demos and actually record something new...
    Another no effing way. I've said it before and stick by it - the fan base for any CVH material is -
    let's face it - dying off, and in the eventuality they do release something classic, no one will will be around
    to give a shit. Or really appreciate it.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise any VH vault material will remain an eternal pipe dream. Bottom
    line is the money. The longer you wait to drop something Classic, the fewer fans will be around to pay
    whatever you ask. Your window for max cash is long gone and will never be bigger than it is today.
    On the other hand dropping clips on an official YT channel or some such would do wonders for
    fan appreciation or whatever if $$ isn't a factor.

52. 2 users say thank you to silverfish for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (03-20-2023),ZahZoo (03-21-2023)

Thread Information