VH concert vets from 78~84. What do you think of the current offering?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kamaboko
    Head Fluffer
    • Nov 2006

VH concert vets from 78~84. What do you think of the current offering?

I think the first time I saw VH it cost something like $5 or $6. After seeing the various "sneak peek" VH 2007 tour videos I will take a pass on this offering. I can only expect those that saw VH multiple times between 78 and 84 to understand. It simply isn't the same. It doesn't matter if MA is with the band or not. These guys are tired. Dave looks to have a fraction of the charisma and energy he had back in the CVH days, and Ed is on life support. When I see a CVH video I immediately get charged up. The latest offerings of just seem to be, well....pedestrian. For those waiting to see Dave and Ed together for the first time, enjoy the party. The beer is flat, but at least there's beer i guess.

Then...
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EzTFFuEOJj4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EzTFFuEOJj4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

and now..
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGapAkq89-I"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGapAkq89-I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
  • Hummarstra
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

I hate to admit it, but I agree. I'm passing, too. But, I hope everyone who goes has a great time.

Comment

• Greenbuds
      Roadie
      • Mar 2004

Dude, you have a wife? Does she look better than 20 years ago? Look in the mirror, do you look better than 20 years ago?

No?

Your life is flat, but that's life I guess.

Maybe you should "pass" on life as well and just kill yourself. You're never going to be happy living in the past.

Comment

• samplehead
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Jun 2006

Remember, all the 2007 videos so far are REHEARSAL, not the full show with the full house.

Compare apples with apples....

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
          Commando
          • Apr 2006

I was there a couple o' times back in the day.

The same? No.

As good? Never will be that good again.

The best VH the world has seen in a long, long time? Thing's are lookin up

This many years down the road, take it for what it is and stop fightin' father time. The band looks to be kickin' ass once again and thats enough for this vet.

Enjoy it people, it's not rocket science. It's rockin' roll.....
          [

Comment

• 5150 CENT
            Full On Cocktard
            • Aug 2007

Iam a Van Halen Lifer and this is fucking awesome! Thats right fucking awesome, I even love the Wolfman on Bass.

Rehearsel is just that rehearsel the bands gotta get used to the stage setup timing etc and no one is going to risk fucking this up before the tour even starts by taking unecessary risks or getting hurt.

Trust me I saw DLR several times and he kicked ass and I love they way he has come around and put it all together. I much more a fan of swift ass kicking black leather DAVE than Iam of wacky pink polk a dot Dave. Dave deserves alot of credit because he kept his game up for many years in preparation for shit. In fact, I don't think there is another band that came back after so many years to deliver at such a high level. Look at freaking Axl Rose he used to be the best rnr singer and he is a train wreck

Eddie has been struggling for awhile but I gotta tell ya he is kicking fucking ass again and his tone and playing are da kine

The Wolfman is fucking awesome too and I love having smiles and interaction in the band again. The Gangsta as I see it is the mediator or bridge that brings it all together you can tell he is a huge classic VH fan. He's doing a phenon job on bass and the background vocals are better than ever cause everyone's chipping in. His youth and love for the music will serve as a voice of reason for the band.

Honestly from what I've seen it is even much better than I imagined the whole band sounds amazing and its only going to improve from here peformance wise.

My only comment is that I think all these dudes look cooler (receding or not) with long hair

Seriously I cant believe how well this has all come together.

Congrats to the band Van Halen is back!

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
              Sniper
              • Feb 2007

I’ve seen CVH 5 times. 79, 80, 81, 82 and 84 tours. I must say that I’m really on the fence on this. The band sounds decent. It’s youtube, so it might be better live. I know its rehearsal, but the band looks dead. No energy. CVH was all about energy. Wolfie looks pathetic. Does he ever move from behind his mic stand? One thing that bothers me a little is Dave. I wish that he would just sing the song like the way he recorded it. His scatting over the verses has gotten out of hand. The tone of his voice actually does sound better that it has in years, but his highs and screams are gone. I can’t stand that new octave he sings in sometimes. The younger crowd around here for the most part is the ones most excited. They’ve heard the stories, seen all the boots and now they want to see what’s up. Which is COOL! From what I’ve seen, my buddy John (jharp) is the only older CVH fan that’s really, REALLY excited. God Bless him! I do feel that this is all about money and I can’t stand giving my hard earned money to multi-millionaires who don’t deserve it. So I’ll be looking at youtube really hard to see if it’s worth the BIG BUCKS when the tour starts. The set-list is the thing that interests me, even though they are playing one of my 2 least favorite songs. Pretty Woman and the other is Dancing in the Street. That set-list is very impressive. If I had a choice, I’d take Pro-Shot DVD’s from the early days over this tour easily. So to answer your question, I probably will go to see this tour if they come to San Antonio. I’ll probably have to sale some of my music equipment to go though. Anybody wants to buy an Ampeg SVT 4-Pro Head and an Ampeg BSE 410 HLF speaker cab? IT ROCKS! Or a Digitech Vocalist Performer (A vocal harmony processor with reverb) so I can go to the show if they come here.
              https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
              http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

It's what I always pictured Van Halen being when they got old. I always thought Roth and the boys would play until they dropped dead. I really thought they would be the new Rolling Stones.

Comparing the new band to the old one in it's heyday is apple's and oranges. It's impossible to describe the original Van Halen when they were younger. They fucking blew your mind. You knew you were seeing rock and roll history being made they were so magically good.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DirtyDeeds
                  Roadie
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by 5150 CENT
                  Look at freaking Axl Rose he used to be the best rnr singer and he is a train wreck
                  I am just as big a Gn'R fan as a VH fan, and I disagree sir. I saw Axl late last year and it kicked serious ass. He sounds the best he's sounded since Appetite for Destruction.

Train wreck? Only if that train you speak of is Nightrain, and you mean it in a good way.

Check this out:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

especially 3:00 in. Ear-boners

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                    Commando
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    The younger crowd around here for the most part is the ones most excited. From what I’ve seen, my buddy John (jharp) is the only older CVH fan that’s really, REALLY excited.
                    Not sure how old is older but I was there back in the day so add me to the fuckin' list as I'm hyped. Then again, Michael wasn't what I liked about them then, Dave was and "The Man" is back.
                    [

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                      Commando
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DirtyDeeds
                      I am just as big a Gn'R fan as a VH fan, and I disagree sir. I saw Axl late last year and it kicked serious ass. He sounds the best he's sounded since Appetite for Destruction.
                      Agreed. His voice is still in top form........Now his mind and image, a Train wreck indeed.
                      [

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

I tend to agree with the first post in this thread...

You know, I heard the Beautiful girls video and I was pleasantly suprised but it went down hill from there...

Panama was next...boring...

That guitar solo thing was horrendus, I don't know what you guys are smoking...nothing good, for sure...

Things got a bit better with Romeo Delight. Good guitar, good overall sound...

But frankly, I thought Edward would come out just rippin' it up like the last time he was supposedly sober (at least that time he acted like it), but I just think he sounds slow and disjointed...

Edward had this magical ability to make everything flow together and he made it look so effortless, and he's lost all that...

Dave is about as good as I expected voice wise, but he just stands there...

I thought this was gonna be David Lee Roth, like maybe he's been hiding it in his back pocket just waiting to spring it on us...but...

I dunno...

Alex is good!

Wolfie ??

Hmmm...

Way better than I expected, I didn't really know what to expect...

He can play, I guess...

But that's WAY too good of a Michael Anthony impression to be a 16 year old kid!!

No way is he singing those notes. He may be singing along with them but that's not him or Edward doing those live vocals alone...

Oh well...

I'm going to see it...

At the end of the day it's just a rock concert...

At least it's Van Halen with David Lee Roth, but too bad it's not real Van Halen with Dave!

BTW, I miss Mikey!

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                          Commando
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          BTW, I miss Mikey!
                          We know ya do and thats O.k............your gonna work it out buddy,....yeah.

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby6Dreu9GjxUBsAujzbkF/SIG=11q0ujig0/EXP=1190186091/**http%3A//daisyhead.org/images/drphil.jpg[/IMG]
                          [

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

It's stupid not to...

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

First, you're comparing a show that had 20,000+ screaming fans to a rehearsal that had 50 or so. I believe the energy will pick up immensely once the real shows begin. Also, don't forget that they have aged. We all have. Dave might not be able to do the jump from the drum riser or hit the trademark scream anymore, but who doesn't already know that? Bottom line, David Lee Roth & Eddie Van Halen are touring this fall. Get a ticket & a designated driver, tie one on and enjoy a terrific night of classic Van Halen music played live by the very men who wrote the tunes. It would be a shame if you waste your evening comparing it to anything else, so just enjoy it for what it is.

It's only rock & roll, but I like it.
                              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...