Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mothereffer
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Nov 2004

Little Guitars was a fucking classic for sure! When I first got the record in 1982, at age 14, I couldn't understand what the fuck Roth was saying in the chorus ...then I found out a few years ago ------"catch as catch...catch as catch can........" what the fuck does that mean anyway? Who cares? Great tune.
    Mothereffer

Comment

• LookN4AMootBeat
      Head Fluffer
      • Nov 2004

Yes indeed, this is hands down my favorite van halen song of all time. I spent years trying to figure it out on guitar, and was so happy when i finally got it I haven't stopped playing it lol. I even learned it completely in the wrong key, played it that way for years, then had to re-learn it after seeing Eddie play it at the US festival. Singing AND playing it was a huge challenge, but now it's a hundred times more enjoyable...it's just a fun, happy song.

Yes, you can play it on a regular guitar, but you have to tune the low E string down to D, then use a capo on the third fret. If you can't figure it out from there feel free to PM me.

"Catch as catch can" is a saying that means basically "you gotta take it when you can get it" this goes along with the song in that the girl he's after is sort of "on a fence" about him, she's not sure she wants him.....but he sees that it's obvious they go great together, and it's silly if she says no.
      "Can't crow before you're outta the woods" means you can't count your chickens before they're hatched, meaning he knows they should and will be together but he also knows he can't rush things with her. This also has a meaning for the girl in the song, that whatever her reasons for not wanting to be with him.....those things could change and not be what she expected so she might want to "get it while she can".

"there's exceptions to the rule".......while not trying to rush things, he still wants to convince her.

For those who are not sure about the lyrics to the second verse/refrain the end of which kindof gets a little mush-mouthed:

"You say you're lonesome just getting by, but you turn your eyes from me.......be sure you only know before you fly, baby, you've got me"

I love this song.
      Last edited by LookN4AMootBeat; 11-23-2004, 10:48 AM.
      I like Van Halen more than Dave's PA Rental.....which means I like Van Halen more than you

"YOU JUST BUILD BIKES!"

Comment

• Antman
        Commando
        • Jan 2004

Little Guitars was a fucking classic for sure! When I first got the record in 1982, at age 14, I couldn't understand what the fuck Roth was saying in the chorus ...then I found out a few years ago ------"catch as catch...catch as catch can........" what the fuck does that mean anyway? Who cares? Great tune.

I always thought he was saying "Etch a sketch" like the toy.
        When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by LookN4AMootBeat

"You say you're lonesome just getting by, but you turn your eyes from me.......be sure you only know before you fly, baby, you've got me"

I love this song.
          Good to see ya Bro!
          Not trying to nit-pick, but I believe the lyrics you ae talking about are really:
          "You say you're lonesome, just getting by, but you turn your eyes from me. Please, Senorita, before you fly, 'cause you've got me."

ROTH ON MAN!!!!

Comment

• LookN4AMootBeat
            Head Fluffer
            • Nov 2004

Well bro, I don't consider that a nitpick, because on the studio version that's a very hard mush-mouth to make out. In fact, I just listenned to it again and it's hard to tell if my line is right, it sounds like it might be, but to me it definitely doesnt' sound like "please senorita".

What led me to believe it's "be sure you only know before you fly" was hearing the live version from the US festival, where Dave says what sounds like "see you only know.....before you cry..." but again..that is also quite mush-mouthed.

Another live version which i'm not sure where it was played but i have it, he seems to say "be sure you honey though before you cry"
            To me, "be sure you only know before you cry/fly" makes more sense.

It's a tough call, but it certainly is a message for the girl to basically remember "you've got me" before she either cries or flies.
            I like Van Halen more than Dave's PA Rental.....which means I like Van Halen more than you

"YOU JUST BUILD BIKES!"

Comment

• wombattt
              Full On Cocktard
              • Apr 2004

Love it...I would rank it in my personal top 10 CVH songs

Comment

• Snow Ho
                Head Fluffer
                • Apr 2004

diver down gets shit on a lot by assward van halen. but i think it has a lot of underrated songs. little guitars being one of them.

Comment

• buckshotjenkins
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2005

'be sure you're hurting though before you cry' maybe?

Comment

• Big Troubles
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Feb 2004

no real meaning I dont think. Roth always wrote tunes to make ya question them. hell, half of the classic VH catalogue is a riddle.
                    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• tydhurst
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2004

That WAS the best song of that album. It kicked so much ass, i was listening to it earlier and dancing about my mum's room!
                      Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• degüello
                        Sniper
                        • Mar 2004

It's always been one of my all-time favourites, for sure.
                        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• Last_Child
                          Commando
                          • Oct 2004

Little Guitars .....Awesome...!
                          "With a rate of fire of over 20 rounds per second, the IMI Micro Uzi is almost as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen, and 25.4 times more musical"

Worst of all... It's true..

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

One of my all-time fave CVH tunes!

Glad Sambo never butchered it.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...