Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

One candy really sticks out in my mind from when I was a kid...I remember eating them when I was 5 or 6 years old...I think they were called "Candy Apple", but I'm not sure what the actual name of them was since I couldn't read at the time...that's what I called them. I do remember how good they were. Anyone else remember this candy? It was a big red apple shaped candy on the end of a white candy stick. I know I'm not imagining things, because I remember them vividly.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2004

Anyone remember Red Barn.?
      They served everything in a basket. Many of the original buildings
      still exist .
      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Flash Bastard

Coke II?

WTF is that?

Comment

• Little Texan
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Flash Bastard
          Coke II?

WTF is that?
          New Coke, renamed. I think they still sold it in the midwest up until a couple of years ago.

Comment

• MAX
            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by diamondjimi
            still exist .
            FUCK YEAH!!!

We had those!!! I thought they were just local though? I loved going there when I was a kid!!!

Nice find!!!
            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Little Texan
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by diamondjimi
              still exist .
              I think there was one of those in Tyler, TX, close to where I live. It's now a shopping center called the Red Barn Square. I never realised that was a restaurant chain.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
                I'm about 90% sure that "Surge" didn't die, it was just renamed...........

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Little Texan
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I thought Vault tasted familiar.

Comment

• MAX
                    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

I could've sworn the one time I took a sip of "Surge" that it was just "Mellow Yellow" with a different name?

A few other places I loved and thought of that have disappeared over the years...

Winchell's Donuts

Round Table Pizza

Shakeys Pizza

Roy Rogers Hamburgers

Godfathers Pizza

Sister's Fried Chicken (Wendy's spinoff of Kentucky Fried Chicken) They had these killer deep fried catfish sandwiches
                    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                      I could've sworn the one time I took a sip of "Surge" that it was just "Mellow Yellow" with a different name?

A few other places I loved and thought of that have disappeared over the years...

Winchell's Donuts

Round Table Pizza

Shakeys Pizza

Roy Rogers Hamburgers

Godfathers Pizza

Sister's Fried Chicken (Wendy's spinoff of Kentucky Fried Chicken) They had these killer deep fried catfish sandwiches
                      We still have a couple Winchells locally (probably because there are no Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme around, so they only have to compete with grocery stores and a couple local bakeries)

Shakey's has been long gone from here since the 80's,but there's still a pizza place in one of the locations. Some of the Shakey's architecture is still present. You would easily recognize the place as an ex-Shakey's - but the pizza there now is better.

Godfather's just disappeared from this area without warning. Same with Blimpies Sandwiches and The Sub Shop. Aside from one local competitor, Subway pretty much owns this town as far as the sandwich business goes.

A&W drive ins were huge around here in the 60's and 70's but they're also long gone. I think they may have a few on the Oregon Coast. Dairy Queen is unfortunately heading down the same path to extinction.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• MAX
                        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        Godfather's just disappeared from this area without warning. Same with Blimpies Sandwiches and The Sub Shop. Aside from one local competitor, Subway pretty much owns this town as far as the sandwich business goes.

A&W drive ins were huge around here in the 60's and 70's but they're also long gone. I think they may have a few on the Oregon Coast. Dairy Queen is unfortunately heading down the same path to extinction.
                        I LOVED Godfather's and outside of a cupla local places (which are also now extinct) it was my favorite growing up.

Blimpie's thrives here and there are several locations.

Ok, A&W exists here and has several locations. Unfortunately it's a part of Pepesico's "Combo" restaurants. They suck. We have all sorts of "KFC" combo joints. There are KFC/A&W's, KFC/Taco Smell and KFC/Pizza Hit "Express" things everywhere.

I'll agree with Dairy Queen cos they're a rarity. I know of a couple locally but they're in Bumfuck Egypt parts of town. There was one close by our house growin' up and I loved it. Many of these things/places are definitely regional though. For instance, I know DG has a Dairy Queen near her, back east cos we've talked about it comparring our fondness for ice cream treats.
                        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Dairy Queen is unfortunately heading down the same path to extinction.
                          not here. we just got a "protoype" DQ/Orange Julius store. i guess there's only two other ones like it in the country.

i remember A&W's in Toledo, but there werent any when we moved back to Cleveland. i think there may have been one in Akron.

there was a Red Barn in my hometown, but it's gone now. there is still one a town over, they blew out the side of the building and it's now a music store.

as for candy, remember these?

they also made Lemonheads and Alexander the Grape.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                            For instance, I know DG has a Dairy Queen near her, back east cos we've talked about it comparring our fondness for ice cream treats.
                            Dilly Bars and Blizzards. as they used to say, "scrumdillyishus."

damn, i forgot about Peanut Buster Parfaits. maybe tomorrow...
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• MAX
                              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Twona,

I was going to say, for NOT having any Dairy Queen's here, they must be thriving somewhere cos they sure do a lot of national advertizing when I watch tv. I'm always seein' these treats that both look and sound "scrumdillyishus." lol. However, I seriously think there are like three locations here?

Other's I thought of include "Big Boy" restaurants (Here it was called JB's Big Boy and another I remember as a child called "Sambos." I think the latter was a "Denny's" type of place? I don't remember ever eating there, I just remember there were a lot of them.

EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
                                Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                                Blizzards
                                YEAH!!! THOSE are the one's I see on tv that I fucking want ALL the time!!!

Damn, they look good.
                                EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

Working...