X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigc
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2004

ALAE Revisited.

I doubt I will be able to match the standard Rikk set in his posts,but here goes.

A Little Aint Enough

“Perfect Timing”, sung David Lee Roth on this albums predecessor, the 1988 Platinum selling Skyscraper. However perfect timing eluded Roth for the release of its sequel, A Little Aint Enough. The leering sound of grunge was looming on the radar, ready to make David Lee Roth and his bombastic cavalier style totally passé.

Moving onto the context of the album, there were new horses in Roth’s stable for this release. Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan had both departed, replaced by Matt Bissionette(who had featured on the Skyscraper Tour) and young guitar maestro Jason Becker. The band was extended to a six piece with the addition of rhythm guitarist Steve Hunter. Handling production duties this time round was Bob Rock, Metallica’s long serving producer. This proved to be a vast improvement over the Roth produced “Skyscraper”, which many had felt had been over sanitised, cluttered with over dubs and irrelevant vocal effects.

More bad luck befell Roth and Co, before recording was complete; Becker was diagnosed with the depilating disease ALS, subsequently ruling him out of the world tour.

The title track opens the album in the typical Roth style, totally over the top. Its a track that merits being played LOUD, because, after all, A Lil Aint Enough. A good clean start to the album, punchy, catchy, and just damn good fun, but we're dealing with DLR so expecting anything less would be an insult! Following hot on the heels is "Shoot It", which continues the album in the same vein. "Lady Luck" has a slighty slower tempo that the previous two songs, and sounds slighty darker, but still tinged with Rothness throughout, and a soaring solo. "Hammerhead Shark" is typical Roth, fast song,fun lyrics, and oh so catchy.

"Tell The Truth" is the albums first marked departure, into a bluesy terrority, one that suits Roth perfectly. The song sounds very smooth and immediately envokes a dark seedy club environment. Its a definite standout moment on the album, Roth and the band came together well on this track and it shows. This is one of Roth's best solo tracks of his career.

Roth returns to normal form with the scorching guitar riffs of "Baby's On Fire",another song which really hits you with its sonic power,reminding you that Roth doesnt lament for long! "40 Below" continues the trailblazing pace set by the previous track, on this album the energy coming from the band is totally undeniable!

"Sensible Shoes" again treads the blues terrority, DLR picks up the harmonica to give the song a downtown and sassy vibe, and the lyrics are Roth at his witty best."Last Call" is another inoffensive rocker. Many of the rock tunes on the album seem somewhat similiar,but that has a redeeming quality, as the album is consistant and none are below par.

"The Dogtown Shuffle" is Roth doing dark edged social commentary, a brief respite from the "living life to 11" attitude the majority of the album emphasises. Roth still finds time to inject some humour,and the dark edge of the song makes for compelling listening.

"Its Showtime" was written by Roth and Becker, is another track just oozing with energy and drive, and Roth's personality comes through on the track. The albums final track, the epic "Drop In the Bucket",is a very apt closer to a great album. It is a truly classic track which stands above many of the others on the album. Again written by Roth and Becker, the only downside to these 2 great songs is it makes you ask the eternal question "what if", in regards to Becker's health.

A Little Aint Enough was Roth's last true major label release, it went Gold in April 1991 but then sales stalled as MTV became obsessed with grunge and the "Seattle Scene". Which is a true shame, as the album was true Roth and Roll,it deserved a greater audience. The album has been mindlessy deleted by WB now, so ebay is the best bet. Its worth the trouble because the album is a true classic!

I put this in the main forum because more people look in Main.
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

That album and song are so underrated, i love the video for it.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
      Veteran
      • May 2004

Now that's a review hat gives ALAE the respect it deserves. By far Dave's best album.

Comment

• VonHalen
        Foot Soldier
        • Jul 2005

i still like that record, crank up hammerhead shark alot

Comment

• bigc
          Head Fluffer
          • Aug 2004

sorry to bounce this,cos I hate bouncing my own threads, just curious to see what people thought of my review

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Great review! I would have spent more time talking about the brilliance of IT'S SHOWTIME though.
            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• bigc
              Head Fluffer
              • Aug 2004

I think I was running out of steam then!hehe

but yes..awesome track.

I'd love to hear demos of the other songs Jason and Dave did together,cos for me, they are the standouts

Comment

• edvanheineken
                Roadie
                • Feb 2004

I just listened to ALAE this morning on the way to work. The CD is kick ass. Dave should not have done a video for Sensible Shoes and released it as a single. It slowed the album's momentum. Drop in the Bucket should have been the single along with a kick ass video. I too agree that the Roth/Becker tracks stand out. Jason Becker himself said he wished they could have gonne that rout for the whole album. However, he felt Dave wanted to be like the Rolling Stones and do a lot of bluesy tracks. God, if only this album had gonne plat, Dave would have stayed the course!

Comment

• Polk High
                  Sniper
                  • Jan 2004

my favorite album by far. can listen to it from start to finish
                  We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Comment

• audiospectrum
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2004

Oh yeah, one of Dave's finest lyrical performances. Every song has something that makes you think, "Fuck me this guy is cool, switched on and loving music." The flow of the album was a lot better than EEAS and Skyscraper. Yes you're right, it was plain bad luck that this album got stiffed. It was grunge yes, but Dave released it the day the gulf war started, or something like that. What a shame.
                    I'm very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we suppoesedly represented the converse of. I don't want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member. Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint - yours truly, David Lee - not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven't changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humour is about the same.

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

I think Dave summed it up best with the cover art.

IMO, he knew all too well the landscape was a-changin', pulled out the fucking ROTO TILLER™, and went-to-town.

A fine album and the end of an era.

Comment

• Diamonds Kid
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Aug 2005

a little aint enuf?

Comment

• jero
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Drop in the bucket....

Comment

• JBall008
                            Full On Cocktard
                            • Jan 2004

Drop in the bucket kicks ass! ALAE is prolly my fave, from an overall musical stand point. And Jason Becker....what more is there to say?

Comment

• KiaSorento
                              Roth Army Recruit
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by JBall008
                              Drop in the bucket kicks ass! ALAE is prolly my fave, from an overall musical stand point. And Jason Becker....what more is there to say?
                              I think you are probably slow there, pussy-boy! FasterPussycat at least has a brain! Plus, she is dead-sexy!

Comment

Working...