• Show
Clear All
  • blueturk
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

U.S. Military Paying Iraqi Editors To Publish Propaganda

Bush-style demoocracy in action...

U.S. military paying Iraqi editors to publish propaganda

By Mark Mazzetti and Borzou Daragahi, Tribune Newspapers: Los Angeles Times. Mark Mazzetti reported from Washington and Borzou Daragahi from Baghdad
    Published November 30, 2005

WASHINGTON -- As part of an information offensive inside Iraq, the U.S. military is secretly paying Iraqi newspaper editors to publish stories written by U.S. troops in an effort to burnish the image of the American mission within Iraq.

Working with a private defense contractor, military officials in Iraq are having articles written by "information operations" troops translated into Arabic and then placed in newspapers around Baghdad, according to U.S. military officials and documents obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

Many of the articles are presented as legitimate news accounts in the Iraqi press. The newspapers are paid for publishing the stories, which trumpet the successes of U.S. and Iraqi troops, denounce insurgents and tout U.S.-led efforts to rebuild the country.

The operation is designed to mask any connection with the U.S. military. The military has a contract with a small Washington-based firm called Lincoln Group, which is involved in the translation and placement of the stories. The Iraqi staff of the defense contractor or its subcontractors sometimes pose as freelance reporters or advertising executives.

The campaign has sparked a backlash among senior military officers both in Iraq and at the Pentagon who argue that attempts to subvert the news media could destroy the U.S. military's credibility.

"Here we are trying to create the principles of democracy in Iraq. Every speech we give in that country is about democracy. And we're breaking all the first principles of democracy when we're doing it," said a senior Pentagon official who opposes elements of the campaign.

According to military officials familiar with the effort, much of it is directed by the "Information Operations Task Force" in Baghdad, part of the multinational corps headquarters commanded by Army Lt. Gen. John R. Vines. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are critical of the effort and are not authorized to speak publicly about it.

A spokesman for Vines declined to comment for this article. A Lincoln Group spokesman also declined to comment, saying that it is company policy not to comment on details of its military contracts.
    Last edited by blueturk; 11-30-2005, 08:22 PM.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

This practice was done throughout WWII with good results...

It's pretty much standard military practice...

Comment

• Cathedral
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

It's disturbing, but these two "journalists" seem to have more information than anyone else on the details. For one, it has not been confirmed that anyone was paid to run these stories, at least no official word beyond this article at this point.
      Two, I'd like to see copies of any of these articles to determine if the reporting was true or not (this is an important detail to me), and Third, what what i do know about it, it has been confirmed that this story is indeed valid, but lacking anything officially confirming some key elements of the story.

I will be interested in further developements on this story before i begin drawing any personal conclusions.

Oh, and there is a Fifth point to make....Do you have a personal opinion on this blueturk, or is it just to get a response to pounce on before you weigh in on this?
      I find it a tad amusing how these copy and paste articles are intended to float on their own for awhile after the author of a thread finds it important enough to post in the first place.
      What i mean by this is, you posted it, so i'm interested in your take on it personally.

Comment

• Cathedral
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
        This practice was done throughout WWII with good results...

It's pretty much standard military practice...
        Ah, point number Six, Thanks Elvis...
        I always forget something, especially now that i'm trying to limit my posts to fewer words, lol.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Cathedral
          I find it a tad amusing how these copy and paste articles are intended to float on their own for awhile after the author of a thread finds it important enough to post in the first place.
          What i mean by this is, you posted it, so i'm interested in your take on it personally.

I find it a tad amusing that when I post an article, people tend to think I agree with the content...

Comment

• Cathedral
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

I try to avoid posting articles because i don't usually agree with any of the content.
            Why? because in todays media they tend to pick and choose what is considered news, therefore i only end up feeling half informed, and only informed with what jives with the journaistic agenda.

Hence my total distrust in ALL media sources.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Well, I get a laugh out of it all...

Comment

• Cathedral
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Me too... <---see, short and right to the point, uh huhuh.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And if you think this kind of shit is only in Iraqi papers, you are delusional.....
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

It's in the Seattle Times, obviously...

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

You are right, FORD. The New York Times has been putting out propaganda for the DNC for the last thirty years.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

That's a true statement...

Comment

• blueturk
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral

Oh, and there is a Fifth point to make....Do you have a personal opinion on this blueturk, or is it just to get a response to pounce on before you weigh in on this?
                            My take on this is that it is yet another example of the Bush administration trying to make the (in this case Iraqi) public believe that this war is going much better than it really is. "Mission Accomplished" photo-ops, Medals Of Freedom for some of the architects of the war, constantly changing reasons for the war...the list goes on and on. To me, this is more Orwellian (an overused word, but quite fitting) bullshit from a man who I honestly think has no idea what the hell he is doing. I swear to God, sometimes I think he's just winging it....

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              And if you think this kind of shit is only in Iraqi papers, you are delusional.....
                              Hence my well drawn conclusion that "ALL MEDIA SUCKS, PERIOD!"

And please, please, please don't try to tell me that the Democratic Media is any better, brother, cause that dog wont walk much less hunt.

Comment

Working...