• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Bush praises Sharon's pullout proposal

April 14, 2004

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon shares a news conference Wednesday with President Bush.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon won praise from President Bush on Wednesday for his proposed withdrawal from Gaza and parts of the West Bank.

"These are historic and courageous actions," Bush said, following the leaders' meeting at the White House.

"If all parties choose to embrace this moment, they can open the door to progress and put an end to one of the world's longest-running conflicts," the president said.

But the American president said he did not support the Palestinians' demand for the so-called "right of return."

The "right of return" refers to Palestinian refugees and their descendants who left or were forced to leave Israel when the Jewish state was founded in 1948. Palestinians demand the right to return to those lands that are now part of Israel.

"It seems clear that an agreed, just, fair and realistic framework for a solution to the Palestinian refugee issue as part of any final status agreement will need to be found through the establishment of a Palestinian state and the settling of Palestinian refugees there, rather than Israel," Bush said.

Sharon's government is proposing a "disengagement" plan that includes a provision for Israel to pull out all Jewish settlements and troops from Gaza and all but six blocs of Jewish settlements from the West Bank.

Palestinians oppose any unilateral Israeli decision to allow the six West Bank settlements to remain.

Bush didn't directly address Israel's assertions it will keep the six settlement blocs.

But he did say: "As part of a final peace settlement, Israel must have secure and recognized borders which should emerge from negotiations between the parties in accordance with U.N. Security Council Resolutions 242 and 338."

The disengagement plan also includes the building of a security barrier -- already under construction -- which Israel says will block Palestinians from attacking Israel from the West Bank.

Palestinians call the barrier a land grab, saying it leaves many Palestinians cut off from farms, schools and hospitals as it winds its way through portions of the West Bank.

Bush said the security barrier should be "temporary rather than permanent."

Sharon said he had gained from his talks with Bush.

"What I've learned from my visit here is that the plan -- disengagement plan -- contributes to the security of Israel, contributes to the political situation of Israel in the world and helps our economy," Sharon said.

In advance of the meeting, Palestinian Authority officials warned that Bush's endorsement of Sharon's plan would be a "dangerous" development.

"We are really and seriously concerned about the reports that there will be a statement or promises during a meeting between the Israeli prime minister and the U.S. president," Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qorei told reporters in Ramallah, West Bank.

"As of 11 a.m. today the Palestinian leadership will be in constant meetings to follow up this dangerous development to show how dangerous this development is."

Sharon has said the withdrawal is necessary because the Palestinian Authority has failed to rein in attacks on Israelis and because the diplomatic process is in a "frozen state."

On Monday, Sharon announced the plan to keep six "large settlement blocs" of West Bank land under Israeli control -- Jewish settlements inside Hebron and the nearby enclave of Kiryat Arba, as well as Maaleh Adumim, Givat Ze'ev, Ariel and Gush Etzion.

"Only Israeli political initiative will retain our strong grasp of the large settlement blocs and security areas," Sharon said in his speech Monday at Maaleh Adumim, near Jerusalem.

"These are places that will remain under Israeli control and that will continue to grow stronger and develop," he said.

In Phase 1 of the "road map" to Mideast peace, Palestinians must end attacks against Israel, and Israel must freeze the development of settlements and dismantle those established since March 2001. The six settlement blocs named by Sharon were built before March 2001.

The road map -- backed by the United States, European Union, United Nations and Russia -- lays out steps Israel and the Palestinians must take toward ending conflict and establishing an independent Palestine by 2005.

Palestinians disagree with proposal
    Chief Palestinian Negotiator Saeb Erakat blasted Sharon's Monday announcement.

"Sharon's intent to keep six settlements in the West Bank will close all doors to peace," Erakat said. "Occupation must not be rewarded. Settlements should not be rewarded.

"To have a meaningful peace process, the Israelis need to end the occupation that began in 1967 as stipulated in the road map," Erakat said.

"We urge the United States administration and President Bush on the eve of his meeting with Sharon not to take any steps that could preempt or prejudice the issues reserved for final status negotiations, namely settlements, borders, Jerusalem and refugees."

Concerning Gaza, Sharon proposed a complete withdrawal, including settlements and military.

Israel seized the West Bank from Jordan and Gaza from Egypt in 1967 during the Six-Day War and began building settlements there soon after. Sharon has asked his Likud party to vote on his withdrawal proposal.

A vote has been set after his return from Washington. Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who discussed the proposal Monday with Bush at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, said an Israeli pullback from Gaza would be a positive step if coupled with the road map.

"Any withdrawal from occupied territory is very highly appreciated," Mubarak said, but warned that a withdrawal from Gaza, which borders Egypt, without any further steps toward a settlement "would not be accepted by public opinion in the area."

Mubarak said Egypt would do "whatever it takes" to bring the Israelis and Palestinians back to the negotiating table.

Gaza is already separated from Israel by a fence, but Israeli troops remain in the area to guard Jewish settlements. Removing the settlements would mean no Israelis would be left for the Israeli military to protect.

In 1994, under the Oslo Accords, Israel ceded control of most of Gaza to the Palestinian Authority, but kept control of the coastline, borders and 24 settlements where about 7,500 Israelis live in heavily guarded enclaves.

• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Want to end terrorism in the world?

Get rid of the 2 fucking bastards pictured above.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jerry Falwell

Originally posted by FORD
      Want to end terrorism in the world?

Get rid of the 2 fucking bastards pictured above.
      Or maybe the Jewish community should pay more attention to their own Tora and actually drive the muslims out of All of Israel and keep it that way. Maybe they would have far less to deal with in the end if they did that.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jerry Falwell
        Or maybe the Jewish community should pay more attention to their own Tora and actually drive the muslims out of All of Israel and keep it that way. Maybe they would have far less to deal with in the end if they did that.
        Ye misunderstand the Scriptures, My son. For if the Jews were to keep all of Israel, then why would My Father hath allowed the Romans to drive them out, 40 years after they rejected their Messiah (that would be Me)

Comment

• Jerry Falwell

I think you aswered your own question Ford... it's because they rejected their Messiah.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jerry Falwell
            I think you aswered your own question Ford... it's because they rejected their Messiah.
            Verily.... but do ye remember the parody of the vineyard, where I spoke of the tenants who killed every messenger that the landlord sent them. And then the LandLORD sent His Son (Me) whom they also killed, thinking then that the land would remain theirs?

Now do ye remember what happenned next in that parable? The Landlord evicted them and gave the land to someone else. So verily, the Palestinians have that land because We gave it to them. So saith My own Word.

Comment

• Angel
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Mark yesterday's date down in your books folks. In the future, our grandchildren will be learning about how this was what led to the start of WWIII.

Why your country hasn't heightened the "terrorism alert" following this announcement is beyond me! Is there no one in Washington able to figure out that the Arab nations are going to FLIP over this one?

Yup, the devil walks among us, wrapped in sheeps clothing, pretending to be an angel... your President is the devil, and look out, shit is going to hit the fan beyond your wildest imagination.
              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

Why is it that the self proclaimed non believers seem to hath a better understanding than some who claim to be My disciples?

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Me
                  Verily.... but do ye remember the parody of the vineyard,
                  This should hath read "remember the parable", Verily even the Messiah does not communicate at His best before he turns water into coffee in the morning

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

LOL @ "pullout proposal"

Hey FORD, will I see you at the Van Halen show this summer?

You know you're going.
                    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                      LOL @ "pullout proposal"

Hey FORD, will I see you at the Van Halen show this summer?

You know you're going.
                      I didn't know there WAS a Van Halen show this summer? :confused:

I am planning to skip the Van Hagar tour though, and cheese ballads aren't the only reason. Sammy's direct support of Bush (contributed $2000 to his campaign) and Fear Channel's sponsoring of the tour are reason enough. I won't be attending ANY Fear Channel tours this summer, as I have no intention of contributing to Junior's campaign throught media monopolies. Already skipped the Bowie show last night for this very reason
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

You must be miserable...

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'd rather be "miserable" with my principles than sell out for an illusion of "happiness".
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

He is correct, Gregory. For what profit hath a man who gaineth the whole world and lose his soul?

Comment

Working...