Thread: Julia Gillard to remain Prime Minister of Australia with support of two independents

"How's it feel, old man?"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2018 @ 11:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Julia Gillard to remain Prime Minister of Australia with support of two independents

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ele...-1225915233663

JULIA Gillard has been handed back the reins of power after two of the three country independents decided to support a Labor Government.

After 17 days of uncertainty, Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott backed Ms Gillard, giving her the magic number of 76 seats in the 150-seat House of Representatives - enough to form a minority government.

Ms Gillard thanked the independents and the Greens who had joined Labor to give it the numbers to form government.

The Prime Minister has arrived at Government House to present her case to the governor-general to form a minority government.

Ms Gillard will formally advise Governor-General Quentin Bryce she can form a minority government with 76 seats.

The Prime Minister revealed in order to secure the votes of Mr Windsor and Mr Oakeshott she had pledged $800 million to a regional infrastructure program, with $573 million of the fund spent with the guidance of regional development officers.

"So will the next round of funding from the education investment fund."

The government will ensure its national broadband network will have uniform wholesale prices across the country, with regional Australia given priority as the network rolls out.

Ms Gillard said those commitments came on top of Labor's general commitment to the $6 billion regional infrastructure fund and the telly-health and building better cities programs outlined during the election campaign.

"In total this means, for regional Australia, they can look forward to benefits in the order of $9.9 billion," she said.

"But that's a fair share, it's been worked through with Mr Oakeshott and Mr Windsor and I thank them for working through that with me and (Treasurer) Wayne Swan."

Ms Gillard also revealed she had offered Mr Oakeshott the job of driving reforms for regional Australia.

She also paid tribute to north Queensland independent MP Bob Katter, even though he announced earlier today he would back the Coalition to form a minority government.

"Labor is prepared to deliver stable, effective and secure government for the next three years," Ms Gillard said at her press conference, held just after 4.30pm.

"In remarkable times, there’s opportunity.

"Let our parliament be more open than it ever has before.”

Ms Gillard said she would "always be working for this nation’s future".

"We will govern in the best interests of the Australian people," she said.

Mr Oakeshott said he wanted to go home to his family tonight to discuss the offer of a ministry before accepting.

“My vote will be going to the Gillard government,” Mr Windsor said.

He said he would not block supply, would not support frivolous no-confidence motions, but said he reserved the right to move a no-confidence motion in the government as he saw fit.

He also said he would vote for each piece of government legislation on its merits.

Mr Windsor welcomed the school students from his electorate of New England, who were watching his press conference live in Parliament House, alongside fellow independent Rob Oakeshott.

“This probably will be a fairly historic day,” he said to them.

He thanked Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott for the way they had negotiated with him.

“Both sides of the debate have put regional packages together … and they’ve both done a great job,” he said.

“They’ve recognised quite clearly that regional Australia has missed out in the past.”

Mr Oakeshott said he would give confidence and supply to Ms Gillard.

He said the three big issues for him were broadband, climate change and the "crisis in regional education”.

But he said his decision was “an absolute line ball” and “on points”.

"This is not a mandate for any party nor is it an endorsement of any philosophy, brand or campaign," he said.

"We are all proud and strong independents."

Bob Katter, meanwhile, backed the Coalition, giving Opposition Tony Abbott 74 seats - close, but not close enough, to put the conservatives back into power.

"I am confirming that I am backing the Coalition," Mr Katter said.

Mr Katter revealed just after 1.30pm in his Parliament House office he would support the Coalition because Mr Abbott gave him more undertakings on his 20-point wish list.

“I will be backing the Coalition,” Mr Katter said this afternoon.

Mr Katter said if Kevin Rudd had still been Prime Minister, he would have sided with his fellow Queenslander.

Mr Katter said he had not told Prime Minister Julia Gillard or Opposition Leader Tony Abbott of his decision before calling the press conference.

"I haven't told anybody at all,'' he said.

And he said after 17 days of uncertainty, it was time for a decision to be made.

“I can’t run a Dutch auction for another week,” he said.

Mr Katter said Mr Abbott had agreed to meet eight of the 20 points on his policy wish list.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Normally I keep my trap shut when it comes to politics, ahh but fuck it...

I can't believe all the ill-educated dumb-fucks in this country who were stupid enough to bother to vote for this patronising, manipulative, self-serving, back-stabbing, plagiarising ("Yes we will!"), irritating-speaking, adulterer-homewrecking, ranga bogan for our Prime Minister.

It was bad enough when Howard got the boot 3 years ago over that tacky Kevin07 campaign just because people thought it 'was time for a change' when our economy had never been better...and if Howard won we would've had Peter Costello set up to be, IMO, a fine PM. It was clear as daylight that Rudd was gonna fuck up. Never though did I think he would go down as having the worst government in Australia's history, even outdoing Whitlam's legacy! And now we have this woman who knifes Rudd at the insistence of those runting Labor powerbrokers, attempts to secure a government re-election whilst in a short-termed honeymoon phase only to have civil war erupt within the Labor Party (which made for a hilarious soap opera) - and in addition with so many past failed policies (is it any surprise that we didn't see Peter Garrett in this campaign?) - yet so many people still gave her a vote to her, or to Bob "The Watermelon Man" Brown. Absolutely bloody mind-boggling!!!

And, btw, which Julia Gillard do we exactly have right now? First it was Fake Julia, then Real Julia, then Real-Real Julia, then Air-brushed Julia, then Desperate Julia, then Grovelling Julia...well I suppose now it's Relieved Julia?

At least 'Mad' Katter has got some brains (as well as a cool hat!). Oh yeah, and how about listening to bloody Rob "Get On With It!" Oakeshott rambling on with nauseating gibberish over how he came to his (stupid) decision to go with Gillard, which probably went as long as Abe Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

Hey, where's Panamark been? Wanna get his opinions. Hope all is well with you mate and the family, and hope the business is good.

Dan, despite all the sheep lumbering around New Zealand looks pretty tempting to vacate. Or do you wanna trade PM's? - that John Key looks like he's got a brain in his head.

Sad to say but there's bad times ahead for Australia...

I need a drink now!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And God save the Queen...because nothing will save the Members of New England and Eden-Monaro.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

at least we've got a state election to look forward to, ay?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Having a woman prime minister is madness.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

Since when did Björk become a PM in Australia?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

With photos like that we can only be greatful she keeps her nose clean.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    Keneally won't stand a chance. By the time when that comes half her cabinet would've gone due to the never-ending list of scandals of some kind. And it was a MASSIVE BIG mistake for Gillard to even allow herself to be shown on the campaign trail with her, and seeing the sisterhood lap up to the cameras together would've made some of us smash some tellies.

Bligh looks set to lose in Queensland too. Also you know that turkey Wayne Swan only just won his seat on Greens preferences. Should watch him get hammered by Michael Kroger and Barnaby Joyce on election night, made for great live viewing.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w1BUVCdKJ2Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w1BUVCdKJ2Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Having a woman prime minister is madness.
    Even more maddening she's Welsh too.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Since when did Björk become a PM in Australia?
    Since 24th June.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    just because people thought it 'was time for a change' when our economy had never been better...
    The US Dollar is down 14 percent to the Jap Yen but it's over 20percent down to the Aussie!

Welcome to Change.. as in "change it back ASAP."

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Grant,You Are Welcome Down Here In New Zealand.

Grab A Sheep And A Beer.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yes, 21/8 was an amusing and entertaining night, grant.
    at one point i thought sen. steve smith was going to burst into tears!!!

kerry o'brien was fucking on his game that night.....

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yes, 21/8 was an amusing and entertaining night, grant.
    at one point i thought sen. steve smith was going to burst into tears!!!

kerry o'brien was fucking on his game that night.....
    Yeah I saw Stephen Smith in sombre mood, you can tell Minchin was 'going on easy on him'...

I normally watch any political/election coverage with Kerry O'Brien, but I had my channel set on 9 much of the night because of it's range on the panel. Mark Arbib was whinging mid-way through over how they kept showing all the seats (a dozen or so) being lost by Labor and arguing for "balance" - and so they agreed by showing only 2 Coalition seats lost lol. Sadly said, it wasn't enough.

Funny thing also, the day after the election the ABC aired 'Australian Story' on their subject union thug Paul Howes (which obviously had gone into production before Labor's campaign went into damage control). It starts off him boasting about Abbott "shitting himself" having to go up against Gillard (but before the leaks started). Then finishes off on election night footage...and his pathetic look of "Mmmmm, things not quite going to plan..."

I dunno mate, a day later and I'm still pissed off. A black day for Australia.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Grant,You Are Welcome Down Here In New Zealand.

Grab A Sheep And A Beer.
    May it be a Warriors v Dragons final then.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2013 @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Huh! First female Prime Minister of Australia?

Holy shit! You mean to say Rudd was man???

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

May it be a Warriors v Dragons final then.
    I Hope So.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I Hope So.
    dan, my man, i've started an nrl finals thread in the locker room.
    it's gonna be a wild ride...

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sweet As,Mate.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"There will be no carbon tax under the government I lead..."

Well, well, well...surprise, surprise!!! What we have here is not only an atrociously incompetent Prime Minister, but, dare I now say - a deceitful Prime Minister!! - with all her Pinocchio-like features, that has now reached wicked and despairingly new lows - that are quite simply just unprecedented in Australian political history.

All newpapers should've ran this headline (the chopped one, obviously):

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictu...+Gillard+is+a/

On the other hand, maybe she, technically, didn't lie - as we all know she's just a puppet for bloody Bob Brown (aka Bob Down) and Christine Milne nowadays...all drummin' to the tune of "Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows..." And the bearded princess, Rob Oakeshott, will just support anything they throw at him since he's nothing but a Labor stooge.

Hopefully, for the moral good of the nation, we need to see them gone sooner rather than later - where's Sir John Kerr when you need him? Even if Combet or that weedy runt Shorten take over it'll still be, sadly, just same shit different smell. If there was to be a change of leadership I'd prefer it be either Stephen Smith or Simon Crean, they appear to be the only ones with any moral fibre that are left within the Labor Party.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I can't believe all the ill-educated dumb-fucks in this country who were stupid enough to bother to vote for this patronising, manipulative, self-serving, back-stabbing, plagiarising ("Yes we will!"), irritating-speaking, adulterer-homewrecking, ranga bogan for our Prime Minister.
    It's good to know the people in the US aren't the only stupid voters on the planet.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

mal 4 pm.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

mal 4 pm.
    Did you watch Q&A last night too?

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yep, never miss it mate. i do seriously think mal would be a great pm. •activates flame shield•

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, Turnbull is a brilliant speaker and parliamentary performer, and also comes across as an amiable fellow - I thought he gave a great reply speech back to Rudd in 2009 over the stimulus spend-outs. I too was actually glad when he took over the leadership, and then initially disappointed when I heard he was replaced by Abbott (but he's probably bit too aligned to the Left for a Liberal leader).

Q&A is a fun live debate - I watch it every so often, depending who's on the panel. Probably best ones (or least most interesting) I've seen was when there were no pollies on it, Geoffrey Robertson and Tariq Ali were guests. And, when John Howard was on it - and some hippy wanker (girlishly) threw his worn-out shoe at him...
    Last edited by Grant; 03-01-2011 at 05:39 AM.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yeah agree mate, he's also a formidable businessman and you get the feeling he wouldn't make a goose (gander?) of himself on the world stage.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Agreed. Yep, I don't see him talking like a depressing drone, mispronouncing 'negotiate', blowin' up about being "ratfucked", or causing female flight attendants to burst into tears...

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

dude... he's like the cool elder uncle... the wise old sage who somehow taps into gen y's bubble... he's got nothin to prove, and he knows you know it. but in a completely unwanky way. he's the david lee roth of aussie politics.

edit; i bet unchained is on his ipod.
    Last edited by ashstralia; 03-02-2011 at 04:30 AM. Reason: more dlr

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I gotta admit he is a cool cat for a pollie...great to have him. I used to work across the road from his MP office in his Wentworth electorate, where The Chaser boys used to hound on him.

So then, who's the Spammy McHagar of Aussie politics?...eagerly awaiting your answer

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So then, who's the Spammy McHagar of Aussie politics?...eagerly awaiting your answer
    well, um, clearly hhm, last week hm hhm tony. nods for 27 seconds. looks around for mark latham. he's not there.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ouch!!!

(On a serious note, that was utterly disgraceful what Mark Riley and Channel 7 pulled...)

And I'll give Gary Cherone to Alexander Downer!

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

onya g.. who to support... the ex fat untried bloke, or the cute chick with the accent.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mate, everyday I'm being reminded of what the Rudd-Gillard government has done to this country in just under a mere 3 years. It's too depressing to think about - and even worse we have another 3 years to go with this mob.

On the whole, Abbott has better moral standards and ethics that befit the office of Prime Minister (not to mention a lovely wife and stunning daughters). Gillard doesn't.

Also, on a different note, I used to work with a renowned and respected doctor, who used to be Vice President of the NSW Liberal Party in the 1980s (and funnily enough was not a fan of Little Johnny). Well, before Rudd's political assassination, I asked him what he'd think of Tony Abbott as PM, and his response was, "Can't be any worse than what we've got now..."

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did that feel really good for you?

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    12-10-2014 @ 10:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I read a good article about Australia recently.

It stated that troops were getting disciplined for racist and hate speech on the battle field. Goodya!

A professional soldier should not be acting like that. No one would tolerate that from a cop, nor should it be tolerated from a troop!

I'd say fire their arses, but that is pretty extreme, you know dishonorable discharge and all, definitely derank them. And if you can't derank them..... well, fire their arses.

Thread Information