The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neuralfraud
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2010

Compressed...

With the mp3 download of Tattoo having been in my daily regimen for the last 12 days, I've been a (mostly) happy man-that is with the exception of the *sound* of the recording.

It sounds extremely compressed and the result of that is several fold:
    1: the vocals are magnificently magnified
    2: the drums have lost virtually all balls. The bass does not cut through and the snare has no punch. The snare is easily muffled during the louder parts of the song and that to me is tragic.
    3: The overall loss in dynamic range makes the entire song very harsh on the ears when turned up loud. That is because of the fact that the entire song is limited and then compressed to create a volume-maximizing effect and the result of this effect is that the information in the recording is VERY loud but in order to achieve that high average loudness, you have to limit and virtually eliminate the natural peaks, for example, the snare drums, the cymbals, the extra room for the bass drum to really thump.

Overall I'm somewhat saddened by this as VH have never released anything that had been hit by the compression-monster. Is this the doings of Ross Hogarth?

I looked at the waveform of Tattoo in an audio editing program and indeed there are some periods where digital clipping occurs, thankfully it is VERY sparse, but for the most part of the recording it is practically "brickwalled"

A zoomed-out view of Tattoo. Notice how much of the mix seems to be maxed out
    tattoo-fucked.JPG
    (click the image to see full size)

So F'n What?
    Here's what. Let's say you had the original recording of the song and then lets say you took the compressed version and overlayed them.

Let's then say you reduced the volume on the compressed recording to match the RMS level of the original. What you would then see is the waveform of the compressed recording looks a LOT smaller, but when played back they're about the same volume.

Back to that overlay thing

So now if you could overlay the compressed waveform ontop of the original waveform, what would you see? All the extra peaks that are missing of course. What does that mean to your ear? It means those snare hits sound more crisp, the cymbals don't turn into background white noise and overall, the sound is just better.

...BUT ITS NOT AS LOUD!!!1

Shut the fuck up. You have a volume knob dont you? TURN UP THE GODDAMN STEREO.

The reason for all of this bullshit is the mentality that suggests that if a listener puts in cd X and listens to it, and then puts in the brand NEW cd and it's LOUDER, they'll think it sounds BETTER! WOW! IT'S LOUDER!!! YEA!!

The average listener is a tool and could care less...

but even metallica fans hit them back VERY hard

Click Here to read Death Magnetic vinyl vs cd (Article)

Ok Ok where am I going with all of this?

I am posting this for the sake of
    a] getting it off my chest
    b] there is an ultimate point.

Based on the article I posted regarding the death magnetic vinyl vs cd, is there any possibility the vinyl ADKOT release will sound any better?

Perhaps you don't see what the big deal is, well let me show you then. For this I will use Romeo Delight to make my point.

The warner remasters were given the same loudness treatment. Diver down sounds horrible on the remaster, but i digress - i don't have an original to compare so forgive me.

If anyone has the original release of WACF AND the remaster version on CD, listen to the solo in Romeo Delight.

These are my notes on the two:

The Remastered Version:
    There is decent punch and overall the recording isnt really too bad. It just sounds a bit louder.

The Original Version:
    The original version sounds much better because I could actually hear all of the cymbals in the background as they pretty much jumped at me. The bass is clearer. The overall sound of the recording is much better.

Why the original is better than the remaster
    Because the natural peaks that occurred during the recording of the fucking track haven't been CUT OFF AND REDUCED.

And finally.. Romeo Delight, Original vs Remastered
    The wave form of the remaster has been reduced in volume to match the volume of the original recording. This is the same process that they'll have used on the ADKOT album only probably much worse.

I made some recordings of the solo but can't seem to upload them here. I don't have a webhost at the time so ohwell.

original_vs_remaster_compensated.JPG
    (click the image to see full size)

So again.. Does the vinyl stand a chance here?

Would someone with a connection to the band be willing to ask why the production was done in such a manner?

I guess this makes me an audio snob, but the truth is that the simple days of the 70s and early 80s gave us treasures that we didnt appreciate because they weren't 'loud' or 'lush'...but they always sounded GREAT when you maxed your volume knob didnt they?

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
      yes, yesss! all the classic =vh= had the subtle slippery snakey sexay rhythm under the solos..
      lol, you little dreamer!!!
      One thing I've noticed about Tattoo is Ed's rhythm playing... in several places he's actually playing a full traditional rock bar chords. Nothin wrong with that... but majority of his previous work he used a lot of combinations of open chords with power chords highlighting the root notes... then adding oddball 7th's, minors and ghost notes that add tension... these were usually peppered with subtle fills or what I call EVH sub-riffs...

To the non-musicians... what I'm talking about is Ed's usage of more traditional simple blue-collar chord structures you find in a lot rock music. Ed's rhythm style generally is more complex than what he's playing on Tattoo. Not easy for me to describe in simple words... Part of EVH's patented Rhythm Magic was instead of taking a regular A minor chord and playing chunk, chunk, chunk... he'd play chu-ping, da da du, ca-chunk, bada bing... chunk chunk...if you catch my drift...

Although one classic element is Ed's lead over the verse to chorus bridge... nailed it.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        One thing I've noticed about Tattoo is Ed's rhythm playing... in several places he's actually playing a full traditional rock bar chords. Nothin wrong with that... but majority of his previous work he used a lot of combinations of open chords with power chords highlighting the root notes... then adding oddball 7th's, minors and ghost notes that add tension... these were usually peppered with subtle fills or what I call EVH sub-riffs...

To the non-musicians... what I'm talking about is Ed's usage of more traditional simple blue-collar chord structures you find in a lot rock music. Ed's rhythm style generally is more complex than what he's playing on Tattoo. Not easy for me to describe in simple words... Part of EVH's patented Rhythm Magic was instead of taking a regular A minor chord and playing chunk, chunk, chunk... he'd play chu-ping, da da du, ca-chunk, bada bing... chunk chunk...if you catch my drift...

Although one classic element is Ed's lead over the verse to chorus bridge... nailed it.
        Nice call ZZ....I said AS MUCH WHEN i 1ST HEARD IT....no typical EVH gymnastics during the verse...which, in retrospect, seems to be where his playing has been the last few times we've heard it.......

I always go back to the decending verse section of "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" as CLASSIC EVH...its what really seperated him from the pretenders back in the day!

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

By now I think I've listened to this tune about 17 bazillion times. I got it early - thank you New Zealand, burned it to a CD and it's been in the car non-stop since Jan 9, 2012. NON FUCKING STOP.
          Anyway, to the point of the subtleties, as I mentioned earlier, the amp buzz at 1:06 just makes me smile and now - I swear I hear a 'dink' sound, like hitting a wood block at the :28 mark. Can someone please confirm this... I'm certain it's there..
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• VAiN
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
            Alright. Not sure if this is posted anywhere in this thread as I didn't bother looking....but a chick I graduated high school with, whom follows James Michael, lead singer of the prestigious (and I'm being sarcastic) SIXX A.M. band posted this video of him and his bud reviewing "Tattoo." What a prick. Dislike with a vengeance.
            What a couple of complete toolbags... hey dickheads, every poser trend in the last 10 years called, it wants its style back. Seriously, fuck these guys. They make Beavis & Butthead seem cerebral.
            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by VAiN
              By now I think I've listened to this tune about 17 bazillion times. I got it early - thank you New Zealand, burned it to a CD and it's been in the car non-stop since Jan 9, 2012. NON FUCKING STOP.
              Anyway, to the point of the subtleties, as I mentioned earlier, the amp buzz at 1:06 just makes me smile and now - I swear I hear a 'dink' sound, like hitting a wood block at the :28 mark. Can someone please confirm this... I'm certain it's there..

Gonna have to go check now
              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• WARF
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Is it just me or does TATTOO get better with each and every listen??

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Yezz it do!

Comment

• VAiN
                    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

It gets better with every listen.. I'm so pumped for the album

Comment

• Halen High
                      Commando
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by WARF
                      Is it just me or does TATTOO get better with each and every listen??
                      It does. And I keep hearing new things in it which is typical of CVH's music. I liked it from the first time I heard the 30 second sample - I thought it was so good I got chills and for just a moment I was back in 1984. I'm sure it won't be my favourite track on the album as I prefer their harder stuff, but it's a perfect single. Catchy tune with very cool lyrics and rocks hard enough to give you a taste of what's to come.

Comment

• THEDOCTOR
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Mar 2009

Several people I know either were not wild about or absolutely disliked it at first have all told me that it totally grew on them. I liked it at first listen but get more and more into it each time I hear it.The fan made video really brings slot to the songs visual in my opinion.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

The fan video is good, but definitely pedestrian. It's too much like what everyone would envision upon hearing the song unaccompanied by a video in the first place. I think, for art's sake, what VH came up with was appealing yet visually too simple. The lyrics are screaming out for better visuals than just four guys banging out the song.

As far as videos go, I either want to see a live performance or Hot For Teacher zaniness. Anything in between falls a little short, IMO. That being said, if I never saw another video again in my life, I'd be fine. The pictures we put in our heads will always be the most suitable imagery.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2005

Since i bought the track on itunes the first day and burned it onto a disc, i have listened to it about 4 times a day in the car. It is a damn good tune. It is not what i expected coming out of the gate but i have to believe there was a reason they picked that track to lead off. I don't think this will even be close to the best stuff that is waiting on that disc 2/9.
                            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                              It is not what i expected coming out of the gate but i have to believe there was a reason they picked that track to lead off.
                              Agreed. It's like, "ya see this? Look out for THIS!!"

Comment

• SunisinuS
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • May 2010

Yea I noticed that as well. Alex I hope will not be reflected on the album the whole time this way.
                                Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

Working...