Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

BTW, we should also point out that immigration from Somalia has been going on for decades, since the early 70's if not earlier. But the early 70's is when they finally collapsed into essentially anarchy after being used and a Cold War ping pong and switching sides often. But there are Somali communities in many parts of the country that are clean and very well run with a very strong family tradition. I am NOT saying "lets send a cruise ship and let everyone in!" I'm saying vet them closely, but take the best and brightest with great work ethics...

Comment

• jacksmar
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      Yes, but does that mean every Somali is a pirate? Or every Ugandan sympathizes with Al-Shabaab terrorists? Or every Muslim is a radical who wants to harm America?

I do think we need vetting. I'd agree 100% that there are different cultures than ours, because that is self-evident. Inferior because they're different, or not as well off? I'll leave that one to the side.

I do also believe those who want to come here SHOULD be vetted. And those who want to come here should actually be tested in terms of being able to speak and understand English as a prerequisite to entry. I also think those who want to come here should be ready to assimilate into American society and culture (learning English prior to arrival being a part of that), and not come here to form separatist enclaves.

Perhaps when it comes to immigration, such views aren't defined as progressive. I just grow weary of the belief that we in America need to take in anybody and everybody who wants to come here and care for them while asking for little in return from them, to the point where they don't even feel the need to learn English. Or become naturalized citizens in some cases after living here for decades. Or enter the country on a travel visa, overstay their visa, not become legal citizens and live in the shadows: I can't imagine that is something that is useful for us as a nation OR those living here in those circumstances.

Yet, I'm also able to if not here and now make the case (it'd take too long and distract from the larger point I want to make) for why I feel the way I do at least say how I feel without using the language Trump did. That language wasn't helpful: the left wouldn't have been able to use that to poison the negotiations had Trump not said it the way he did. Trump's attitudes and means of expressing them do more damage to his stance and cause than help, because Trump isn't able to articulate his beliefs in a manner that doesn't give creedence to the fact that Trump's core beliefs are what any reasonable person would define as racist. Every time Trump approaches the subject of race, his language and attitudes betray his long held core beliefs again and again. Saying that Trump "just tells it like it is" is a pretty lame denial that Trump is a racist.

It's not only recognizing racism for what it is in terms of not trying to cloak it or deny it, but what one does AFTER they recognize racism for what it is. There are a lot of race cards in the deck, and not all of them are dealt from the top.

I can't sit here and tell you that I don't feel safer when I'm surrounded by people similar to myself in terms of color, creed and ethnicity. However, ultimately I think our commonalities as members of the same species should be placed before our religious, racial, national and economic differences. Am I living it like I preach it? Nope. When I look at El Salvador, I have far more sympathy toward them than disdain in terms of where that nation is at. I don't get the feeling with Trump, based on what he says and how he says it, that he has any degree of sympathy for any non-white, non-American people who are poor. I think he's fearful of them, and calling them residents of shitholes feeds into making him feel like he's superior to them. Typical of a guy who was born on 3rd base and hasn't had to struggle for anything, perhaps.

I mean, when you say there are inferior cultures and they're not wanted here, that's the same type of thing that was said about Italians and Irishmen in the 1920s. Is it your belief that attitude was correct back then as well?
      No, we are bringing in people from backwards, primitive cultures and then expecting them to just miraculously turn into middle class Americans with hundreds of years of a cultural history behind it. Calling those places shitholes is accurate.

Haiti is a shithole. When HillBilly was in office he put in that idiot Jean-Bertrand Aristide in charge who ended up being as corrupt as the Papa Doc and Baby Doc. And the UN is upset at Trump.

But it comes down to facts: People coming from El Salvador are not the same as people coming from Norway.

America wouldn’t have an illegal alien problem if these countries weren’t shitholes.

Trump cut the bullshit and went to the core of the debate. That's all.
      A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• jacksmar
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        BTW, we should also point out that immigration from Somalia has been going on for decades, since the early 70's if not earlier. But the early 70's is when they finally collapsed into essentially anarchy after being used and a Cold War ping pong and switching sides often. But there are Somali communities in many parts of the country that are clean and very well run with a very strong family tradition. I am NOT saying "lets send a cruise ship and let everyone in!" I'm saying vet them closely, but take the best and brightest with great work ethics...
        Let's not send rangers in either...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by jacksmar
          Let's not send rangers in either...
          Not Rangers, but...: https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...buildup-247668

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            A Jewish bigot calling the "shithole" statement appalling. Oh, that is laughable.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

You calling Bernie Sanders a "bigot" is about as laughable as the Trumpsuckers whining about Oprah's lack of political experience.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  You calling Bernie Sanders a "bigot" is about as laughable as the Trumpsuckers whining about Oprah's lack of political experience.
                  Whatever, bigoted Bernie brat supporter.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

'Shithole' projected onto Trump hotel

By Jacqueline Thomsen - TheHill.com
                    01/13/18
                    09:51 PM EST

The word “shithole” was projected onto President Trump’s D.C. hotel Saturday.

Video shows the word, along with the poop emoji, being projected onto the property.

“Pay Trump bribes here,” “emoluments welcome” and “we are all responsible to stand up and end white supremacy” were also projected onto the building.

Trump has faced intense backlash for calling Haiti, El Salvador and African nations “shithole countries” during an Oval Office meeting on immigration this week.

“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump reportedly said, before suggesting that the U.S. bring in more immigrants from countries like Norway.

The White House initially did not deny that Trump made the remarks, but Trump later disputed the reports on Twitter.

Lawmakers, media figures and world leaders have all decried Trump’s comments. The African Union, representing all 55 African countries, demanded Saturday that Trump apologize for the remarks.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by jacksmar
                        No, we are bringing in people from backwards, primitive cultures and then expecting them to just miraculously turn into middle class Americans with hundreds of years of a cultural history behind it. Calling those places shitholes is accurate.

Haiti is a shithole. When HillBilly was in office he put in that idiot Jean-Bertrand Aristide in charge who ended up being as corrupt as the Papa Doc and Baby Doc. And the UN is upset at Trump.

But it comes down to facts: People coming from El Salvador are not the same as people coming from Norway.

America wouldn’t have an illegal alien problem if these countries weren’t shitholes.

Trump cut the bullshit and went to the core of the debate. That's all.
                        As a European this is a funny post.

Think about it for a second, what is the USA?

It's a country that became the richest in the world built on two key features, slavery and skimming of the people of every other country who were disadvantaged but had a bit of spirit about them.

Do you think it was well educated top drawer Irish and Italians that came to the US?

Or rich eastern Europeans?

Comment

• jacksmar
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          As a European this is a funny post.

Think about it for a second, what is the USA?

It's a country that became the richest in the world built on two key features, slavery and skimming of the people of every other country who were disadvantaged but had a bit of spirit about them.

Do you think it was well educated top drawer Irish and Italians that came to the US?

Or rich eastern Europeans?
                          As a European, you should not be worried about the USA. Rapes are up in Sweden 10%, Austria up by 25%, and in Germany Volksfest turns into Rapefest.

USA men arern't a bunch of cucks. Count on it.

Deal with your own "refugees" and 'immigrants", as a European.

Comment

Working...