Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I wasn't reliving a trauma this afternoon. I was merely enjoying a swan song.

Swan song: noun.
    the last act or manifestation of someone or something; farewell appearance.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Same diffy.

Comment

• perrin29
        Head Fluffer
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
        Interesting to compare
        I was at the Montreal show. Lot of fun. Band seemed to be having fun and I think the Dave sex tape shtick made its debut at the show.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

It looks fun. Dave seemed full of energy from the clips I have seen
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• SunisinuS
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • May 2010

Romeo, that is the best version (Louisiana) since they did the rehearsal in 2007 that I have seen. Wish Dave would hit that type of vib as he ages every night. Stop the fucking almost flat all the time up registers and work the fucking tune:

Makes you root for him instead of cringing. And I count at least 3 throat singing screams, and in places he did not do them on the record. Fuck Yea. If a 60 year old man can suck his wife's 60 year old titties, that is how he should be sucking them. Not trying to lady Gaga that shit.
            Last edited by SunisinuS; 03-15-2015, 05:24 AM. Reason: And Wolfie is hitting some sweet bass passes that he should be able to elaborate on even more. Normal, Good, Classic Van Halen. More like fine wine here.
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• howie
              Roadie
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
              To this:
              Not the Full Bug anymore - definitely the Age Bug in the other ones (and he got bitten pretty bad)
              Last edited by howie; 03-15-2015, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• Never was
                Foot Soldier
                • May 2012

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                I do... I've also followed a clear and visible progression.

In 2006... Dave participated in that Strummin with the Devil Bluegrass project. I'm pretty sure he worked with a vocal coach and some really talented musicians who took the core melodies of the Classic Van Halen tunes from the studio releases and transposed those into bluegrass compositions. That was some really good work and they captured both vocals and musically the Van Halen vibe of each song. That refined focus showed up in Dave's singing quite clearly.

In 2007/8... Dave performed vocally at a higher level than he ever did the previous 20 years. Two factors played into that... proving he deserved to be back fronting Van Halen but I think more-so that the work he did on Strummin focused his singing more aligned with the original melodies within the VH material.

In 2012... Dave was still pretty much on but started wandering creatively and I think his work on ADKOT influenced his performances to a higher energy amperage... which tends to drive him into that high octave crap which kills most of his classic tune vocals. Chinatown is great example... he barely pulls it off in the studio version and struggled 98% of the time with that live. Head from there right into DNTA and Dave lacks the throttle control to make the transition.

Best way to describe his vocal transformation was it went from sultry, smooth whiskey soaked... to too much RedBull and Pop Tarts. Given Dave's personality he lacks the control to transition between those modes smoothly. Add Japanese creepy culture and 2013 is the result...

I was able hang out at the rehearsal in NY for the bluegrass project since they needed to play about 3 songs for various media gigs to promote. I would have to rummage through shit to find his name but Dave indeed had a vocal coach there. The guy said he had worked with Dave since the end of 2004. So age, health, effects of some loss elasticity in chords due to bad mechanics etc... are an issue but simple technique and choices are a reason for optimism.

Just a personal view, during that time period he had laser focus and in hindsight probably already knew he was getting close to finalizing his return. I do think Dave is simply an awful winner at times and after pulling off 07 and Eddie was the issue he won. Just a hunch but seems consistent. Does his best with his back to the wall but endzone dances too much

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Nov 2004

It seems there will never be any VH tour in Europe. They bothered getting to Japan and even Down Under for a few dates only, but wouldn't cross the fuckin' Atlantic (even with such a solid looking liner boat...)...

Anyway, at least the live album will be available one day earlier here. Small consolation. Pre-ordered it from the nearest music store for €18 (§19).

I'm sure I won't be disappointed as it's all been overcriticized by nearly us all, so...
                  posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                  posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2004

You wuz robbed.
                      WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                        You wuz robbed.
                        I wuzn't: I paid willingly. I only fooled myself, at worst.
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

They should have just repackaged ADKOT and added the live crap as a bonus...

That way the unsuspecting buyer would get a great album (sans Tattoo, of course) along with the shock of his life...

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
                            Sniper
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            They should have just repackaged ADKOT and added the live crap as a bonus...

That way the unsuspecting buyer would get a great album (sans Tattoo, of course) along with the shock of his life...
                            Side A: A Different Kind of Truth.
                            Side B: The Truth.
                            WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                              Side A: A Different Kind of Truth.
                              Side B: The Truth.
                              now that was funny...
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

We were listening to the live Soundgarden CD at work the other day. I was astonished at how awful it was. Cornell, whom I like, was all over the place and sounded like he was singing without any monitors. It's amazing what some bands will release. Accepting warts and all when you're at the show is one thing. Flubs and missed keys are not near as noticeable when you're there. But when you're playing a CD of a live performance, that shit sticks out like a sore thumb.

Comment

Working...