Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Kinda makes me wonder if the line, "suppose you wait forever then you change your miiinnd?!" was written around the time Dave signed his freedom over to Ed. I still think he's where he belongs. I just can't believe how unhungry and slow VH have remained. Fatso taught them that trait. He bragged about slowing down their engines. Now, unfortunately, we have interviews with Dave rationalizing why things are spaced and move slow. It's almost like he's caught in a web. He can't trash talk'em (though, he has a little) and he can't light a fire under their Dutch asses.

Comment

• thismusicsux
      Full On Cocktard
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Von Halen
      5150 is the studio where 1984 was recorded. I find it humorous that you closet Clichegar lovers always associate 5150 with Hagar. Just like the band itself, Dave ruled it before Clichegar ever dreamed of stepping foot in it!
      love the story and the pics.

CLICHEGAR!!! haha. I'm CVH fan from early days. and my biggest problem with Sammy was his lyrics were soooooooo damn cliche. never heard 'clichegar' but that pretty much is the perfect name for that chump. hahaha.

Comment

• big fatty
        Head Fluffer
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
        Kinda makes me wonder if the line, "suppose you wait forever then you change your miiinnd?!" was written around the time Dave signed his freedom over to Ed. I still think he's where he belongs. I just can't believe how unhungry and slow VH have remained. He can't trash talk'em (though, he has a little) and he can't light a fire under their Dutch asses.
        You may be on to something here with this. Sadly. I get the impression EVH may not fully appreciate DLR and the CVH material as enthusiastically as Dave and most of the fans. Remember his comment about the lyrics to " CGTSNM ", he mentioned Dave never said what the stuff is or why you can't get it anymore. Could he really be that oblivious.

Or, it could be that EVH is a marketing genious beyond eveyones perception. In the sense of by withholding all old live performance footage and unreleased material, this perpetuates an instiable appetite that keeps the fans hungry and always wanting more.

Comment

• tojoro
          Head Fluffer
          • Dec 2009

Thanks a bunch for sharing this experience, Von. Way cool that you got to meet John...he seems to be a regular cat. Whether on his own, or collaborating with another, I consider him not only a great guitarist, but a fine writer/riffmeister as well.
          The last time I saw Zombie was when he opened for Ozzy in '01. 5 was still with Manson. Is Ray filling in? I thought Ginger Fish was named Zombie's drummer, though, no one seems to be a permanent member of Rob's band...
          Speaking of folks who do what they want when the band they're is named them, I know it was Dave's idea, as VH does indeed have a ring to it, and that in turn gave birth to the most bad-ass of band logos, but I suppose the dubbing gave Ed, (and Al), a unique upper hand...he's got credited and uncredited work on several tunes, for several artists/producers, dating back several years.
          It's unfortunate that the Van Halens feel the need to put restrictions on their (ex) employees. Especially when it is something that they had no part in creating.
          I myself wouldn't think Ed all that wise when it comes to merchandise. Maybe for those fans who play guitar, but not for all Van Halen fans.
          The best in that category would be the two books of photographs released by Zloz in the last decade. Other than that, there is nothing of any substance from the Roth Era that bears mention.
          It sucks, because everyone loses there.
          Ed and Al should consider that their fanbase is dying. Literally. At least, the part of their fan base that would still pay cash for any and all audio/video/photo and/or text released from their vaults.
          I would venture a guess that Dave may have brought up some form of retrospective in one conversation or another.
          The 30th anniversary of the final album in the six-pack draweth ever closer, yet not a one of these fine albums has received the "Deluxe" treatment.
          Perhaps that is on Warner Bros., do they still exist? I wonder who owns what at this point?
          However you slice it, the legacy of Van Halen is in a truly sorry state.
          Ultimately, this must be a real disappointment for John 5, as essentially, one of the main influences for his wanting to play guitar is preventing him from releasing something he created.
          That's pretty shitty...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by tojoro
              Thanks a bunch for sharing this experience, Von. Way cool that you got to meet John...he seems to be a regular cat. Whether on his own, or collaborating with another, I consider him not only a great guitarist, but a fine writer/riffmeister as well.
              The last time I saw Zombie was when he opened for Ozzy in '01. 5 was still with Manson. Is Ray filling in? I thought Ginger Fish was named Zombie's drummer, though, no one seems to be a permanent member of Rob's band...
              Speaking of folks who do what they want when the band they're is named them, I know it was Dave's idea, as VH does indeed have a ring to it, and that in turn gave birth to the most bad-ass of band logos, but I suppose the dubbing gave Ed, (and Al), a unique upper hand...he's got credited and uncredited work on several tunes, for several artists/producers, dating back several years.
              It's unfortunate that the Van Halens feel the need to put restrictions on their (ex) employees. Especially when it is something that they had no part in creating.
              I myself wouldn't think Ed all that wise when it comes to merchandise. Maybe for those fans who play guitar, but not for all Van Halen fans.
              The best in that category would be the two books of photographs released by Zloz in the last decade. Other than that, there is nothing of any substance from the Roth Era that bears mention.
              It sucks, because everyone loses there.
              Ed and Al should consider that their fanbase is dying. Literally. At least, the part of their fan base that would still pay cash for any and all audio/video/photo and/or text released from their vaults.
              I would venture a guess that Dave may have brought up some form of retrospective in one conversation or another.
              The 30th anniversary of the final album in the six-pack draweth ever closer, yet not a one of these fine albums has received the "Deluxe" treatment.
              Perhaps that is on Warner Bros., do they still exist? I wonder who owns what at this point?
              However you slice it, the legacy of Van Halen is in a truly sorry state.
              Ultimately, this must be a real disappointment for John 5, as essentially, one of the main influences for his wanting to play guitar is preventing him from releasing something he created.
              That's pretty shitty...
              Great post.

Ray is the drummer for Korn now. Has been since 2007.

I've been going through my pics. I've got quite a few good ones.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Korn has a great new single out called "Never". It's damned good and very catchy. YOu can hear a little of that intricate Ray drumming in the middle.

Oh dear.

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                  Korn has a great new single out called "Never". It's damned good and very catchy. YOu can hear a little of that intricate Ray drumming in the middle.
                  Check out "Prey For Me" and "Paranoid And Aroused". Much better tunes than "Never Never", but not quite as "catchy".

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

yes, ed...it's a pen...now plug in and play, will ya?
                    Roth Army Icon
                    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ELVIS

Ed is so fuckin whipped....

Comment

• Zing!
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by atomicpnk47
                        The only thing worse would be Kody's head peeking out of Ed's man-purse. He could still be stuffed in there I guess...

Any bets on Ed having that man-purse fankenstriped and for sale before X-mas?
                        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by atomicpnk47
                          Maybe he keeps a bottle in it...

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Well, since Sesh posted the story with John 5 talking about this album, I figured I'd bump the thread I started almost a year ago. Fuck, time flies.

I just saw Ray a few weeks ago, and he again talked about this music with John 5 and Dave. He was really impressed with it. He said he would have loved to have been a part of it.

Comment

• Angel
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Fuck. Wish he could release it, dammit!
                              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• BenJammin
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by WARF
                                Fuck Eddie Van Halen give us the John 5 album!

I'm sick of Alex Van Halen playing with his niece on stage!

Nothing against the kid himself, but it's a bit like forming the Avengers with Casper the Ghost. Cute but doesn't fit.
                                "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

Working...