X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

EVH Cafe Wha? Guitar rig

Just noticed this checking my Twitter feed..will post more details as they surface...

Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Is that a loop switcher? And WTF is that Boss pedal next to the flanger, an octaver?
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
      Is that a loop switcher? And WTF is that Boss pedal next to the flanger, an octaver?
      Probably a digital reverb. Ed's got more stomp boxes. He used to have everything in a rack and his Phase 90 and MXR Flanger with in a pull out drawer. Those were the only non rack mounted effects and them he had a Eventide Harmonizer and I believe a Digitech delay unit. But then the trend now is to go with stomp boxes as opposed to rack mounted stuff.

Ed will run one amp head to 2 2x12 speakers for Al's guitar monitors. He will run another amp head into a load box (Palmer) and then tap the signal and run it through his effects and into an H-H power amp into one or two cabs. He then runs a dry signal to one cab. The main reason for the dry signal is incase his effects break and he loses his wet signal.

That's his old setup that he pretty much ran from 1984 all the way through the Van Hagar shit. It was all put together by Bob Bradshaw.

I got a couple of the old Peavey 5150 cabs. When I first got them I couldn't figure out why there was an XLR jack on the back of the cab wired to the speakers? I wonder if someone ever ran a cable from that to a mixer board and fried it? Then I learned that the old H-H power amps Ed uses use XLR cables for speaker cables and because they lock in, it eliminates the air pressure from blowing out the plug. So those cabs are a bit crazy because they are built to the way Ed wires stuff up.
      Last edited by Nitro Express; 01-08-2012, 06:18 AM.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        Probably a digital reverb.
        I checked the Boss site... Their reverb pedals only come in grey, except for the FRV-1.

Methinks Ed's taken a page from the George Lynch bag-of-tricks. A hint of the octaver during solos, to fatten up the sound...
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Found a another pic.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

would love to know ALL the deets...

Think it's a loop switcher; hard to tell on the Blackberry, but wanted to star the thread while I had the image link handy (was chillin' at a hookah bar..lol)...

To Nitro's point, remember this is likely a waaay scaled-down version due to the size of the venue. Probably just the house side-fill for Alex. Looks like 3 cabs (per the Metor forum the grille cloth was removed - very old-school, and one imagines it was left-right wet and center dry?) and maybe Sir WARFsalot could verify, but they say he only used the single EVH stealth the entire night, not needing to switch to a backup..

Metro also speculates it was the 100-watt EVH 5150 III, but again due to the size of the place can't help but wonder if he used the 50s instead...
            Last edited by jhale667; 01-08-2012, 06:33 AM.
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

We'll see what EVHgear.com has in store...

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

We'll see what EVHgear.com has in store...
                Yes, we will...excited for NAMM, it's one of the 1st stops planned exhibit-wise...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• neuralfraud
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Aug 2010

Well noticed he still has precisely 3 cabinets MIC'd which means he's more than likely still running the W-D-W setup which is interesting. I do really like that harmonizer tone that really peaked during the 90s - very lush and tbh hope he's still doing something with it. Tone sounded fairly dry though

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by neuralfraud
                    Well noticed he still has precisely 3 cabinets MIC'd which means he's more than likely still running the W-D-W setup which is interesting. I do really like that harmonizer tone that really peaked during the 90s - very lush and tbh hope he's still doing something with it. Tone sounded fairly dry though
                    Even with the less-than-stellar audio we've heard so far, his tone seems far LESS processed-sounding IMO than the '90s, and is far more clear-yet-still-raw sounding, even more so than '07-'08..can't wait to hear it at a show!!

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by neuralfraud
                      I'll bet that's what Ed's going after with that MXR chorus... 'Cause isn't that what that "lushness" was basically?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'm hoping for not so much, if any, compression, though the "snippet" reveals a bit and zero use of the ear drum stabbing sustainer. Talking 'bout the CD here.

Comment

• neuralfraud
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Aug 2010

"normal" people will use a chorus to add some "lushness" but evh decided to go to eleven and use an eventide harmonizer with (and dont quote me for accuracy) something like -9 cents detune left, dry center and +9 cents right. This would create the kind of tone a chorus would make but without the actual oscillation/whooshing noise associated with the chorus.

Comment

• Etienne
                            Commando
                            • Aug 2010

... And WTF is that Boss pedal next to the flanger, an octaver?
                            I checked the Boss site... Their reverb pedals only come in grey, except for the FRV-1.

Methinks Ed's taken a page from the George Lynch bag-of-tricks. A hint of the octaver during solos, to fatten up the sound...
                            Bet it's a Boss OC-3 Super Octave, maybe for a new song?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Etienne
                              Bet it's a Boss OC-3 Super Octave, maybe for a new song?

Maybe Nuno lent it to him when they bumped into each other in the studio.

Comment

Working...