• Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
    No he's not you fucking idiot.
    Yeah, sure moron...

Were you born this stupid or did you have to work at it?
    Actually born a genius but have worked hard at stupid all my life!

Jesus Christ you're a fucking moron. Read what I quoted.
    Sure, can you quote the right fucking book? you retard!

Page 397? Scan that shit!!

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      I'm looking at it from a business perspective. But yeah as far as a quality family life and being happy Mike has em all beat. Absolutely.
      That right there... sums up the ultimate qualities in life that I can appreciate and admire.

From a business perspective, Mike invested wisely, owned businesses he had a passion for and succeeded in that realm too. Not a bazillionare, but successful, none the less.

The only thing Roth and the Van Halen brothers scored more of compared to Mike... regrets, isolation, bitterness and wasted decades of productive life. Pure losers in my book...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Not saying you don't have a different edition, but my book only goes to pg. 342...
        He may have the popup version...

Comment

• VHscraps
          Veteran
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
          Noel said what he said. He is way off. He was the manager and can't get major events straight. If he can't get that straight, he is not credible, in general.

Don't make excuses for him. It isn't just a typo.

Anyway, who gives a fuck? I'm gonna get ready to hit the strip club.
          I would blame the cocaine. Or the booze. Or the fact that none of them, including Noel, knew any of this crap would be recorded for posterity (although curiously, he did claim to have kept a diary of his time tour managing the Sex Pistols, which he later published).

Having personally tried to reconcile numerous events from the lives of more than one rock musician with the actual facts, it seems to me that they are, more often than not, pretty inaccurate in their own recollection of events they were personally involved in. Certainly with respect to times and dates.

Monk was probably partaking of the pleasures of the rock'n'roll life as much as the band. But, book publishers like to make the public think they are providing them with the truth, the real story (while not actually employing anyone like a fact-checker, especially now that they operate on tighter budgets).

And, add to that the fact that researching pre-internet events that, in the bigger picture, are probably not seen as that important (i.e., album release dates) is time intensive and can take a bit of work. The information is not always - or even mostly - going to be found and verified with easily available online sources.

Anyway, chronologically, I think that things are apt to become confused with this period in the Van Halen story.

It possibly begins with the fact that they released an album titled '1984' that was recorded between Spring and Fall 1983. It was mastered and ready for release by October '83, but held for release until the turn of the new year. Then, after Van Halen's 1984 US tour concluded, Dave recorded CFTH, which was completed by late summer '84.

Then ... and maybe this is where Noel is confused by events ... before Dave put together the band that recorded EEAS, he was already working on the soundtrack to the film that never was, 'Crazy From the Heat', to the extent that he was working with Nile Rodgers on it. I don't know if anything was recorded, but Rodgers was either writing songs / music for it, or was on board to do that, and this all was before the split with VH.

Beers!
          THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

It has been said in the VH documentary that Dave was secretly working with another band while they tried to work on the follow up to 1984. He was accused of provoking arguments, so that he could leave the scenery and work with the other guys.

Whatever. I think, Monk's book is the closest to the truth story we can get.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
            Roth Army Icon
            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              He may have the popup version...
              Or the coloring book:

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
                I would blame the cocaine. Or the booze....
                I get the feeling Noel partaked in all that, but probably a lot less than the band did...

...Then ... and maybe this is where Noel is confused by events ... before Dave put together the band that recorded EEAS, he was already working on the soundtrack to the film that never was, 'Crazy From the Heat', to the extent that he was working with Nile Rodgers on it. I don't know if anything was recorded, but Rodgers was either writing songs / music for it, or was on board to do that, and this all was before the split with VH.

Beers!
                Noel clearly never mentions EEAS...

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Doubtless it's possible Monk misstated a few details trying to reconstruct from memories thirty + years ago.

I think VHscaps makes a lot of valid points regarding what can often just be put down to sloppy editing and fact-checking/research in terms of factual discrepancies. None of which necessarily invalidates the essence of what Monk said: the formula of "Monk misstated one fact thus everything else he said is immediately suspect" seems a bit over the top.

Like Nickd, I too get the feeling that Monk did some partying during his days managing the band - who wouldn't - but tend to doubt he was fucked up to the point where he couldn't function therefore is unreliable as a source of information.

I mean, doubtless if you had extensive interviews with the members of CVH about the CVH period and instances Monk addressed, you would obviously come away with multiple takes or impressions about what went on. After so much time has passed, people forget things, or remember things differently from how they may have happened...sometimes in both minor and major ways.

While Monk may have gotten a few facts wrong here and there, I don't get the sense that Monk was inventing stories from whole cloth, as it were. His account comes across as truthful.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
                    Then ... and maybe this is where Noel is confused by events ... before Dave put together the band that recorded EEAS, he was already working on the soundtrack to the film that never was, 'Crazy From the Heat', to the extent that he was working with Nile Rodgers on it. I don't know if anything was recorded, but Rodgers was either writing songs / music for it, or was on board to do that, and this all was before the split with VH.

Was Goin Crazy not written for the movie? That may be a false memory on my part but it does seem to fit the script but Vai has a writing credit so maybe not?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I forgot to wish Sam and Mike a happy Pride Day. I'm sure they enjoyed themselves covered in rainbow color glitter and oil and probably had a Tinky Winky doll on the bed just for ambience. When Mike cried and told Sam not to pump so hard fast, Sam just said I can't drive 55.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        Was Goin Crazy not written for the movie? That may be a false memory on my part but it does seem to fit the script but Vai has a writing credit so maybe not?
                        Actually much of what became EEAS was supposed to be for Dave's movie.

Not necessarily the music - because Dave didn't assemble the EEAS band until much later (as he was still in VH). But the themes, lyrical content and some melodies, yes.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...