Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

A Different Kind of Truth Tab Book

So....I'm out and aboot today....pop into the local Guitar store....

Ramble by the tab book display.....HOLY SHIT!!!

ADKOT TAB BOOK!!!

I noticed the LARGE CLASSIC VAN HALEN symbol from a ways off.....

I instantly head to the check out counter....the long haired older rocker dude takes one look at me....."Yeah....I grabbed that as soon as I saw it too!"

Me : "It's the 1st VAN HALEN tab book I've bought.......(Dramatic pause).....SINCE 1984!"

Him: "Hell yeah man!"

BRILLIANT!!!
    Attached Files
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Wants!!!
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Aw fuck. I don't want to even think about As Is or Honeybabysweetiedoll. Gonna be way too many numbers on those pages for my hack fingers to keep up pace.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Damn, it's already sold out at Amazon!

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
          Aw fuck. I don't want to even think about As Is or Honeybabysweetiedoll. Gonna be way too many numbers on those pages for my hack fingers to keep up pace.
          You kidding? "As Is" is the FIRST tune I wanna check out! I noticed in the NAMM video someone posted of him playing the riff from a few years back the other day he's definitely playing it differently than I thought just trying to pick it up by ear...I've gotten the main riff pretty close notation-wise, but the way he's playing it in the video it's easier to make the notes pop out distinctly...

Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Mr Walker
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            Damn, it's already sold out at Amazon!
            I wonder if I'm beat on the preorder I did last week.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

The As Is riff he always played in the key of A but on the album version it's clearly in the key of B.

Capo the 2nd fret and hammer away on the A string.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Here is a shareware program that you can load a track in and slow down to figure it out.
                It's effective to get the nuances of the performance that is impossible to get from tabs or sheet music alone.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

My Boss eBand thing can slow down the track keeping the pitch the same, lets you strip out most of the guitar, play along with the mp3 with effects and record it.

Unfortunately I just never seem to have enough time these days to properly work stuff out.

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

excellent!!

now the advice i give all my students, and they all play really really technical metal, is learn the notes thoroughly first and practise S L O W L Y...

this way takes patience, but anyone can do it if you put in the time. (lookin at you, sada)

when you can get it happening at maybe half speed, then set about speeding it up. fast+sloppy= no good.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

I'm kind of wary about purchasing this because it came out almost TOO fast...I wonder about the accuracy of the tabs.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

the thought crossed my mind terry, but a quick look over it should reveal all...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah the quality of tabs varies hugely.

I have to say I bought tab for VH1 and VHII a few years back and didn't find it hugely helpful because I found that Eddie has such a unique style it's difficult to translate in particular his rhythm playing from tab.

I think maybe it's better(and quicker) to try and do it by ear initially at least and then use the tab to check what you are playing to see if say you are missing a note on a chord or whatever.

For other people, like say Steve Vai, tab works better because they are more mechanistic.

There is also a strange optimism that goes with guitar tab that for some crazy fucking reason when you buy it you think that you will then automatically be able to play it. By that reckoning you should be able to buy the music to a Bach concerto and wander down the local church and play it on their organ.
                          Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-02-2012, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

I trust Tabs now WAY more than "back in the day"..............

I remember seeing "Little Guitars" tabed for the 1st time......Not even close!

This book is weird though......."Recording sounds a 1/2 step flat"......than TAB IT THAT WAY! And BIG RIVER sounds in standard tuning to my ears.......

I remember seeing HELLS BELLS tabed in 1st position for decades....then seeing AC/DC on SNL......& ANGUS playing it in the 7th position.......laughed my ASS OFF!!!

Comment

• ashstralia
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Feb 2004

yes matt!

the open strings always are a dead giveaway too. i guess that's the beauty of guitar though, you can play the same notes/chords in so many different ways.

works for me.

Comment

Working...