X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SNIPER
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Light Em' Up!
    Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one. I think I'll stick with what the folks here at the Army have to say.
    We all know what it is about and we get it. If I was to write a live U2 review it would not be good because I don't get it. Just one of those things.

Comment

• jvmaz77
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Jun 2012

Review from the Arizona Republic's Ed Masley....much more generous. He enjoyed it. The pics they took, posted here: http://www.azcentral.com/photo/Enter...nt/Music/22596

David Lee Roth is a lot like Bob Dylan. Not in terms of having written "Like a Rolling Stone" - because he didn't do that. More in terms of approaching the songs his fans have come to hear him sing with no regard for the original recordings, singing what he feels like singing when he feels like singing it, changing the melody, changing the phrasing, leaving whole parts of the vocal by the wayside on a whim.

There may be notes he just can't hit at 57, which is fair enough. But there are other notes he could have hit on Saturday, June 16, as he rocked what looked to be a sold-out crowd at US Airways Center with Van Halen. In fact, on more than one occasion, he sang higher notes instead -- "My love is rotten to the core" in "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," for example. That part isn't even high. But it was Saturday (except the time he shouted "yeah" instead of singing it).

Unlike Bob Dylan, though, who seems to sing his songs the way he pleases more because he doesn't feel as though he should be made to live up to the expectations of his audience, much less his critics, Diamond Dave spent his entire time on stage entertaining the audience, with his slides and his high kicks and yoga positions, his mike-stand-twirling antics, his constantly making ridiculous faces, his comic asides and rambling monologues, his hula dancing on "Tattoo" and asking a girl in the crowd "Have you already made a sex tape with that camera?" during "Romeo Delight." It almost seemed like singing was the last thing on his mind -- his "other" job, his real job being making sure that everyone who paid to see the show was duly entertained.

And here's the thing. It worked. Even Eddie Van Halen was laughing. So was Wolfgang, Eddie's kid, who's playing bass instead of Michael Anthony.

There may have been some people there who weren't as entertained by Roth's shenanigans as myself and the Van Halen family on stage. But there sure seemed to be a lot of smiling, clapping, cheering people standing up and partying like it was 1984 for the duration of the concert. And a lot of that had everything to do with Diamond Dave.

The show opened with dive-bombing whammy bar action and squealing high notes on Eddie's guitar giving way to the opening riff of the classic "Unchained" as Roth slid and twirled his way across the stage in a black rhinestone outfit waving the towel he used to wipe away his sweat throughout the night. The interaction between the mugging front man and the lead guitarist (whose solo on "Unchained," it should be noted, was amazing) seemed unforced enough to back their story that there's been no tension on this tour. They seemed like friends.

"Unchained" was followed by the unmistakable low-end throb of "Runnin' With the Devil," Roth grabbing his crotch for comic effect and delivering one verse as spoken-word advice to Wolfgang.

And then, they dipped into "A Different Kind of Truth," Van Halen's first album with Roth on vocals since the glory days of "1984," for "She's the Woman," which found the singer doing crazed flamenco dancer moves. Before the night was through, they'd returned to the new one for "Tattoo," "China Town" and "The Trouble With Never." But they knew enough to keep the focus on the classics, including such obvious highlights as "Everybody Wants Some!!," "(Oh) Pretty Woman," "You Really Got Me," "Dance the Night Away," "And the Cradle Will Rock...," "Hot for Teacher," "Beautiful Girls" and "Panama." They also did the synthesizer-driven hits from "1984," of course, performing "I'll Wait" and the set-closing "Jump" with piped-in synth parts.

The sound in US Airways Center was pretty cacophonous, making it hard to hear the vocals in spots.

Even Eddie's guitar leads didn't cut through as well as they could have at times. But the playing was tight, with Wolfgang asserting himself on bass and vocals and Alex Van Halen playing a Latin-flavored drum solo to pre-recorded orchestration (which Roth proclaimed "the most amazing goddamned drum solo I've ever heard in my life" - or words to that effect).

And then there was Eddie. If Roth brought the smiles to the party at Saturday's show, it's still Eddie who brings the musical excitement to the table, tearing off one awe-inspiring guitar solo after another. Naming highlights would be pointless. If he played it, it was somewhere in the range between greatness and brilliance.

There are those who would go to the show specifically to see him play, and of that demographic, there are those who no doubt left the concert thinking he'd be better off touring without a front man as over-the-top as Diamond Dave. But that's what made Van Halen so much bigger than, say, Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai (who briefly worked with Roth post-"1984"). You get more than guitar pyrotechnics. You get a good time guarantee.

And speaking of a good time guarantee, Kool & the Gang proved an oddly appropriate fit for the opening slot, if the reaction of the crowd was any indication. They played a nine-song set that moved from strength to strength, with their saxophone solos and thumping bass grooves, ending with a four-song power jam of "Jungle Boogie," "Ladies' Night," "Get Down On It" and "Celebration."

--Jason

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
        Veteran
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by jvmaz77
        It almost seemed like singing was the last thing on his mind -- his "other" job, his real job being making sure that everyone who paid to see the show was duly entertained. And here's the thing. It worked.
        Isn't that what it's all about??? I want to go and have a bitchin' time. If I wanted to hear it just like on the album, I'd pop that in and sit on my ass at home and listen to it.
        Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• EdVanZep
          Groupie
          • Jun 2005

That version of EWS was killer , very entertaining. Ed and Dave intro antics , roundhouse kick , dropped mic stand even looked cool.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Isn't that what it's all about??? I want to go and have a bitchin' time. If I wanted to hear it just like on the album, I'd pop that in and sit on my ass at home and listen to it.

Amazing how even some posters here are expecting some boring pitch-perfect album rendition of the tunes...and VH was never about that.
            Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
              Veteran
              • Mar 2012

Alex's solo and YRGM

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
                Veteran
                • Mar 2012

Pretty Woman....pretty sure he's singing this to Momshell :-)

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2012

Dance The Night Away!!

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2012

And the Cradle Will Rock. Fuck....every video I watch makes me want to see a show more and more...

Comment

• SNIPER
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

And the Cradle Will Rock. Fuck....every video I watch makes me want to see a show more and more...
                      Looks like a mic issue going on here.

Comment

• jvmaz77
                        Roth Army Recruit
                        • Jun 2012

I'll Wait

I love the color of Ed's guitar

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

I like your quote damngoodtimes :-)
                          which one?
                          David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                          — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• jvmaz77
                            Roth Army Recruit
                            • Jun 2012

Unchained from a different angle...audio is fairly good.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

Ed Masley is my new fuckin' hero!!
                              David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                              — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by damngoodtimes
                                which one?
                                The one that matches mine silly!

"Told ya I was comin' back....etc"

Comment

Working...