Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, they use a lot of those people on stage, but usually it was just them in the studio. Maybe Bobby Keys on sax or a rotation of keyboard players (Nicky Hopkins/Billy Preston/Ian McLagan/Chuck Leavell) but mostly just themselves. And it was either Mick or Keef playing piano on the country stuff....
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm surprised Matt Clifford is back with the Stones. Keith supposedly didn't like him. Clifford plays French horn so at least the beginning of Can't Always Get What You Want sounds like it should.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Maybe that's why they hired him? A spare keyboard player who can also play horns? That's probably a bargain. They could have hired John Paul Jones for that, but it probably would have cost them more.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Clifford was on the Steel Wheels tour, then off the next few tours. He's on a couple of the Jagger solo albums. Probably why Keith didn't like him.

I think Clifford does more of the synthy stuff where Leavell is mostly piano and organ. There might have been a Keyboard mag interview with both of them around '89.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Chris Shiflett from the Foos did a solo show in a small room here. It was between a Foos show at Fenway and then here at Blossom. $10 on a Monday night, just him and a guitar. Not too bad, but not a real long set. The venue has a big ballroom and then a smaller tavern setup, we were on our way out and the owner said hey, go check this other band out and they were pretty good too.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              It’s called trying too hard. If Grohl keeps at it he’s going to enter Sammy Hagar cheese territory and you don’t want to go there. He needs to take a lesson from Cheap Trick. Focus on the songs and sure goof around and have fun but focus on making good songs. I get with the COVID BS it’s hard to get out there but this horror movie thing is gay.
              I dunno...to me, it feels like Dave Grohl is trying too hard to merely be liked by as many people as possible as opposed to the Foo Fighters just making the best music they can, but I may be wrong in that the Foo Fighters may well have been making the best music they could all along...Grohl definitely wants to have his name placed along with all the others in the RnRHoF, but Dave Grohl just isn't as good a songwriter as Kurt Cobain was...and Grohl has been at it much longer than Cobain was...like, the Foo Fighters are basically lame arena rock that people who really don't have particularly discerning tastes in music enjoy.

Have the Foo Fighters played halftime at the Superbowl yet? They should. Why not? I put the Foo Fighters right in there with Maroon 5.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If they ever allow actual BANDS to play the Super Bowl again, I'm sure the Foos are probably already at the top of that list. It's a damn shame they had such a solid run of actual music in the 2000's and after that godawful trainwreck of a performance by What's Left of The Who, they never allowed actual live music to be played again. Goddamn you to Hell, Roger Daltrey.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                  I dunno...to me, it feels like Dave Grohl is trying too hard to merely be liked by as many people as possible as opposed to the Foo Fighters just making the best music they can, but I may be wrong in that the Foo Fighters may well have been making the best music they could all along...Grohl definitely wants to have his name placed along with all the others in the RnRHoF, but Dave Grohl just isn't as good a songwriter as Kurt Cobain was...and Grohl has been at it much longer than Cobain was...like, the Foo Fighters are basically lame arena rock that people who really don't have particularly discerning tastes in music enjoy.

Have the Foo Fighters played halftime at the Superbowl yet? They should. Why not? I put the Foo Fighters right in there with Maroon 5.
                  Kurt Cobain was a natural at it. That’s the thing with bands. You have to have the right combination of people to make it work and keep it going. There’s a lot of luck involved there. The chemistry is either there or it’s not. Sure you can practice and improve your skills but you have to have the skills to begin with. You just have to have the magic or you won’t exite people. Dave has become blah and he’s going here I am, look at me! It’s so lame. Everyone is going who in the fuck are you now?

If you have to take the time to analyze if it’s good or not it’s not good. Good entertainment grabs you. Pete Townsend made an observation I think is valid. Him and his band mates got famouse because they were loud and obnoxious. They got attention and they were good enough at performing to keep the party going.

Pete said today The Who probably wouldn’t make it. Our society has seen it all and You Tube is full of great guitar players who can play it all. What are you going to grab the attention with. What’s the Wow! factor today? It’s all been done.

Maybe that’s the problem. We”ve already seen the best. We are over stimulated and hard to impress.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    Kurt Cobain was a natural at it. That’s the thing with bands. You have to have the right combination of people to make it work and keep it going. There’s a lot of luck involved there. The chemistry is either there or it’s not. Sure you can practice and improve your skills but you have to have the skills to begin with. You just have to have the magic or you won’t exite people. Dave has become blah and he’s going here I am, look at me! It’s so lame. Everyone is going who in the fuck are you now?

If you have to take the time to analyze if it’s good or not it’s not good. Good entertainment grabs you. Pete Townsend made an observation I think is valid. Him and his band mates got famouse because they were loud and obnoxious. They got attention and they were good enough at performing to keep the party going.

Pete said today The Who probably wouldn’t make it. Our society has seen it all and You Tube is full of great guitar players who can play it all. What are you going to grab the attention with. What’s the Wow! factor today? It’s all been done.

Maybe that’s the problem. We”ve already seen the best. We are over stimulated and hard to impress.
                    See, sometimes I think rather than the general public being too hard to impress the problem is that in terms of entertainment standards people have been all too ready to settle for less.

That diminished standard explains why such purposeless rock bands as the Foo Fighters continue to fill stadiums and why mindless Marvel comic book movies get the biggest box office returns.

If mediocrity is so amply rewarded, those who produce the mundane entertainment have no incentive to try any harder than they do, because why should they?
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

You guys totally miss the self deprecating humour?

Again, this may be a reason why the grohlster and crew are so popular in Australia.
                      We understand the subtle art of “taking the piss”.

It’s a bit different to waving your hiney at a camera wearing a sparkly g banger leotard while singing ‘look who’s back in circulation’… that’s just crass.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia

Again, this may be a reason why the grohlster and crew are so popular in Australia.
                        Yeah, he's a fill-in from all that kangaroo rooting you Fosters drinking freaks do.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Also, I believe we all learned something from this thread here and that is never trust a limey. This is because limeys are a subhuman species. They are thieves, liars, and bad dressers with horrible dental hygiene. Limeys are like vampires. Never allow for one of them to ever come in your home. Never take any pity on them. Better yet, never befriend one. You'll thank me later.

Comment

• Mushroom
                            Commando
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
                            Also, I believe we all learned something from this thread here and that is never trust a limey...
                            And what a bunch of curmudgeons, Kristy included!

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

You're not my dad. Hippie.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                                You guys totally miss the self deprecating humour?

We understand the subtle art of “taking the piss”.

It’s a bit different to waving your hiney at a camera wearing a sparkly g banger leotard while singing ‘look who’s back in circulation’… that’s just crass.
                                Piss is what Kristy showers on Great Britain and the common wealth. If Jimmy Page is around the showers are extra heavy.
                                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...