Stomp Box Addiction? Compulsive FX Disorder? You decide......

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kristy
    That last Yardbirds album that was all Page played is awful. It was in all terms, heavily psychedelic with a lot of fuzz guitar and inane lyrics sung by a burnt out Relf. I just find it odd how he went from that to "da blooz" literally overnight.
    I hear you. I don't personally think Page was the start of anything original. A blues movement was in full effect already. I liked his take on it, but more his non-blues playing that followed. As far as the lack of giving credit where credit is due goes, Page and about a zillion other performing artists are guilty as charged.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
      I hear you. I don't personally think Page was the start of anything original. A blues movement was in full effect already. I liked his take on it, but more his non-blues playing that followed. As far as the lack of giving credit where credit is due goes, Page and about a zillion other performing artists are guilty as charged.
      Not as blatant as Page did. Getting back to Eddie for a second, I hear, if anything, a lot of power chord struture in his early playing much in the same way Pete Townshend did but there is nothing as far as I can tell from that debut VH album that sounds way too similar to any Who record. Of course, everyone steals from everybody else, even Eddie has stated that. The trick is of course, not to get caught.

Oh, and I'll put up the production of 'Fair Warning' to any shitty Zep recording any day.

Comment

• Etienne
        Commando
        • Aug 2010

Not as blatant as Page did. Getting back to Eddie for a second, I hear, if anything, a lot of power chord struture in his early playing much in the same way Pete Townshend did but there is nothing as far as I can tell from that debut VH album that sounds way too similar to any Who record. Of course, everyone steals from everybody else, even Eddie has stated that. The trick is of course, not to get caught.

Oh, and I'll put up the production of 'Fair Warning' to any shitty Zep recording any day.
        So EVH isn't influenced by Jimmy Page? "Mean Street" riffs after the intro?

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Means Street sounds more like a Sabbath riff than Zeppy.

Sorry.

Comment

• Etienne
            Commando
            • Aug 2010

Means Street sounds more like a Sabbath riff than Zeppy.

Sorry.
            And I disagree. The rhythm together with the drums is typical Zep.

Like the "Immigrant Song" riff.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Stealing, borrowing, paying homage, many blurry lines. Have you seen the VH early years documentary? Dave literally stood out in the crowd of Black Oak Arkansas shows with his trusty 8mm movie camera and filmed Jim "Dandy" Mangrum's moves. By '81, Dave looked and acted an aweful lot like the guy. I never saw or read of Dave giving much credit to the guy prior to seeing this video. Is this something Dave "got away with"? He developed his own identity based on an amalgam of other identities. Not unlike Mr. Page.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Yeah. I'll just sit here at work and hum some of my favorite Yardbirds songs. Come on. This is preposterous. The Yardbirds!? Good grief.
                Dude. It's only rock and roll. It's not meant to be taken that seriously.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  Dude. It's only rock and roll. It's not meant to be taken that seriously.
                  Understood. Connotation lines get hazy 'round here. I don't care as much as I lead on! Can we all agree that it's time for a drink?

Comment

• Etienne
                    Commando
                    • Aug 2010

Cheers everybody! For me a coffee...

Comment

• So this is love
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

Understood. Connotation lines get hazy 'round here. I don't care as much as I lead on! Can we all agree that it's time for a drink?
                      hmmm not yet...
                      Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

I raise my Corona to you sir!
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

As for musical stealing and borrowing, Zappa said it best "There's only 12 notes in the Western scale. It's ALL BEEN DONE."

Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

Stealing, borrowing, paying homage, many blurry lines. Have you seen the VH early years documentary? Dave literally stood out in the crowd of Black Oak Arkansas shows with his trusty 8mm movie camera and filmed Jim "Dandy" Mangrum's moves. By '81, Dave looked and acted an aweful lot like the guy. I never saw or read of Dave giving much credit to the guy prior to seeing this video. Is this something Dave "got away with"? He developed his own identity based on an amalgam of other identities. Not unlike Mr. Page.
                            I thought later Dave did give Jim Dandy props.....in a little tune called Top Jimmy!
                            Originally posted by vandeleur
                            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                              I thought later Dave did give Jim Dandy props.....in a little tune called Top Jimmy!
                              A different kind of Jim. The Rhythm Pigs came about near the same time as Los Lobos, X and The Blasters, and were arguably the best of all of 'em. Live, they could wipe the floor with just about anyone, including most so-called hard rock acts of the era.

Last edited by chefcraig; 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• kwame k
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Feb 2008

Well, there you have it
                                Originally posted by vandeleur
                                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

Working...