Thread: SAMMY HAGAR Says He Was Asked To Join PANTERA??

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

SAMMY HAGAR Says He Was Asked To Join PANTERA??

blabbermouth.net
    SAMMY HAGAR Says He Was Asked To Join PANTERA As Replacement For PHILIP ANSELMO
    December 21, 2021

SiriusXM's Jose Mangin recently interviewed Sammy Hagar in the limo which was gifted to Jose from the estates of PANTERA founders "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and Vinnie Paul Abbott. Jose has worked hard to restore the car and plans to take it all across the country and have epic hangs and chats with all of his buddies to reminisce about his dear friends, whom many of us still hold so dear.

In an interview clip which was posted on December 8, which marked the 17th anniversary of Dimebag's death, Sammy recalled a time when he was supposedly approached by PANTERA's then-manager about joining the band, apparently as the replacement for Philip Anselmo.

"How about if I tell you something crazy. I don't believe it; I don't believe it's true," Sammy said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET). "But PANTERA had a manager. This was before I actually became friends with Vinnie. And [the manager] said PANTERA, he said, want me to be the lead singer of the band. And he asked me, 'Would you be interested?' And I said, 'No, not after [my split with] VAN HALEN [in 1996]. I'm not gonna join another band, especially covering for somebody else,' and this and that. And I brought it up to Vinnie one time. He didn't remember it. But I don't know if there's any truth to that."

This is not the first time Hagar had discussed being offered the singer gig in PANTERA. Back in 2011, he told Forbes: "I was asked at one time to be in MÖTLEY CRÜE. I was asked at one time to be in PANTERA by their managers. I was asked to be in VELVET REVOLVER when Scott Weiland quit and went back to the STONE TEMPLE PILOTS. I was waiting to be asked to be in LED ZEPPELIN to say no, since they were the greatest band on earth and no could replace Robert Plant. I was asked to be in AEROSMITH and I said no."

He continued: "Certain bands and certain frontman singers are more difficult to replace than others. Steven Tyler and that band have stayed together for 40 years and you don't to walk into something like that. They had one moment years ago, when they replaced Joe Perry, but it's still always been Steven at the front of AEROSMITH. You don't replace that.

"When I came into VAN HALEN, it was easy because Dave [Lee Roth] wasn't a great singer, but he was a good frontman," Hagar explained. "In those times, I was selling out the same arenas they were, so it was like the combination of two forces and it worked but it's a rare thing. We were all lucky that the fans accepted it and it got bigger. I would avoid bands that are going to break up pretty soon."

In a 2015 question-and-answer session at the DFW Acura Performance Showroom in Dallas, Texas, Vinnie Paul said that VAN HALEN was "a huge influence" on him when he first started playing drums. "Eddie and Alex [Van Halen] inspired me and my brother [Dimebag] so much," he said. "It was really just unbelievable the parallels that we had between ourselves."

In a lasting sign of deep respect, Eddie Van Halen donated the black-and-yellow tape-striped guitar pictured on the back cover of "Van Halen II" to be buried with Dimebag.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously this has to be bullshit. I could maybe imagine Sammy being asked to join THIS version of Pantera....

but not the 1996 version. And he thought Zeppelin or Aerosmith would ask him?? Seriously somebody get to a neurological exam already. He's losing it....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

He lost it a long time ago..... but I think he never had IT anyway. LOL

The Hagarites can't possibly defend this one. Asked to join Pantera?? Haha. Nice one Spammy.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Of course he couldnt help but spew this garbage again:

"When I came into VAN HALEN, it was easy because Dave [Lee Roth] wasn't a great singer, but he was a good frontman," Hagar explained. "In those times, I was selling out the same arenas they were, so it was like the combination of two forces and it worked but it's a rare thing. We were all lucky that the fans accepted it and it got bigger. I would avoid bands that are going to break up pretty soon."

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Larry King used to claim he was friends with Sandy Koufax.

Koufax says he didn't know King.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Lying works really well in the modern information age because 'so called' mainstream media are putting headlines up of any old shit to get hits and non mainstream is even worse.

We have fucking Joe 'I believe the last thing I heard' Rogan pulling 40 million audiences with a pile of shit and Hagar thinks/knows if he makes some shit up in an interview there is a 50% or better chance of it being copied and pasted in the next feature by some lazy fuck and soon it becomes 'fact'.

I have more sympathy for the Mitch Malloy ex singer of Van Halen fantasy because he probably needs the money - Hagar is was and will always be a mediocre liar. The fact he has money and is still doing it just highlights his failings and unhappiness as a person.

I saw a headline in a newspaper just last week saying a massive meteorite was going to hit the earth. That was then repeated in the first paragraph. Paragraph 3 said it was going to miss by a couple of million miles - kind of like Hagar.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-06-2022 at 12:27 AM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post

Yep. Hagar keeps repeating that as a solo artist in the late-1970s through the mid-1980s he was selling out the same size venues they were.

Hagar was also recently quoted as saying the only name lead singer he would consider replacing was Robert Plant for a Led Zeppelin reformation, but out of respect for Robert he would ONLY do it if/after Robert Plant passed away.

Yet more nonsense from Hagar. I'd noticed since right after he left Van Halen the first time in 1996 that Hagar was rewriting the history of what he did in Van Halen, sales and concert attendance-wise. That revisionism only got worse as Hagar got older. I guess the truth of his career hasn't been good enough for Hagar. Dunno why. He had success. Just wasn't as successful as Van Halen when he was a solo artist, and just wasn't as successful with Van Halen as opposed to when Roth was in the band. So what? It wasn't like Van Hagar was a flop in commercial terms. Just be happy with the reality.

Now go get your fuckin' shine box.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Because what Stairway To Heaven needs is a heavy dose of "woo!" and "hey baby!"

I'd like to hear Nikki Sixx debunk Sammy's Crue claim.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Are there any bands Hagar wasn't asked to join? Did Aerosmith plead with him to replace Tyler? Duran Duran? The Pet Shop Boys? Wham? Queen?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post

"When I came into VAN HALEN, it was easy because Dave [Lee Roth] wasn't a great singer, but he was a good frontman," Hagar explained. "In those times, I was selling out the same arenas they were, so it was like the combination of two forces...
    Yeah, the forces of alcoholism merging with the Ronald McDonald rock and roll extravaganza!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Lying works really well in the modern information age because 'so called' mainstream media are putting headlines up of any old shit to get hits and non mainstream is even worse.

We have fucking Joe 'I believe the last thing I heard' Rogan pulling 40 million audiences with a pile of shit and Hagar thinks/knows if he makes some shit up in an interview there is a 50% or better chance of it being copied and pasted in the next feature by some lazy fuck and soon it becomes 'fact'.

I have more sympathy for the Mitch Malloy ex singer of Van Halen fantasy because he probably needs the money - Hagar is was and will always be a mediocre liar. The fact he has money and is still doing it just highlights his failings and unhappiness as a person.

I saw a headline in a newspaper just last week saying a massive meteorite was going to hit the earth. That was then repeated in the first paragraph. Paragraph 3 said it was going to miss by a couple of million miles - kind of like Hagar.
    Ha! Ha! They got your attention so those techniques of getting attention work.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Soon Sam will be selling Cabo Wabo nacho cheese and telling us Queen wanted him to replace Freddie Mercury but Sam didn’t want to make Freddie look bad.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Rogan only did to the point of me doing a 5 minute check on the guy making the claims and then I knew it was definitely a waste of my time to watch it, 40 million people didn't and now what used to be some guy with a forum much like this becomes a thing that statistically will actually kill people. Even if its one in a million that's 40 people killed by ROGAINE©™ as HITCH©™ used to call him.

If this kind of nutty guy who you used to talk to occasionally that hung out in a bar you drank in during the early 2000s ended up killing a ton of people. Weird shit. Anyhoo got off topic there.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Soon Sam will be selling Cabo Wabo nacho cheese and telling us Queen wanted him to replace Freddie Mercury but Sam didn’t want to make Freddie look bad.
    Well, it's bad enough they got Adam LAMEbert.... while ignoring the actually qualified singer that they are themselves well aware of.... (and I don't mean Hagar... or even Cherone, though he was a big Queen fan)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Rogan only did to the point of me doing a 5 minute check on the guy making the claims and then I knew it was definitely a waste of my time to watch it, 40 million people didn't and now what used to be some guy with a forum much like this becomes a thing that statistically will actually kill people. Even if its one in a million that's 40 people killed by ROGAINE©™ as HITCH©™ used to call him.

If this kind of nutty guy who you used to talk to occasionally that hung out in a bar you drank in during the early 2000s ended up killing a ton of people. Weird shit. Anyhoo got off topic there.
    If 40 million die because they listened to Joe Rogan they are idiots. Darwin at work.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I’m too busy to listen to Joe Ho Ho or whoever. There’s a zillion podcasts now telling you whatever you want to hear. It’s all mostly junk.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Well, it's bad enough they got Adam LAMEbert.... while ignoring the actually qualified singer that they are themselves well aware of.... (and I don't mean Hagar... or even Cherone, though he was a big Queen fan)

I lost interest when Freddie no longer could front that band. Granted Brian May is a unique guitarist but Queen without Freddie is a great recipe missing a main ingredient.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Even with Freddie, by the late 80's Queen had a hard time coming up with new material that was anywhere near their glory days....

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Why is this crap in our Main forum..?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Are there any bands Hagar wasn't asked to join? Did Aerosmith plead with him to replace Tyler? Duran Duran? The Pet Shop Boys? Wham? Queen?
    Bananarama

S P A M M Y is their fire, at their desire

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Even with Freddie, by the late 80's Queen had a hard time coming up with new material that was anywhere near their glory days....
    They were also close to breaking up by '82-'83 hence solo projects by the band members.

Thread Information