Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

I would have to say something off of Kiss Alive!

I got my first electric guitar Dec. 4, 1976, and by the time I joined the army 6 months later, I could decently play the solo from 100,000 Years, as well as some other bits and pieces from Alive!. And also the solo from Detroit Rock City.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Iron Man, by Sabbath.

The whole song was pretty basic. In fact, a lot of the rock tunes I wanted to learn when I first started to play were off the Paranoid album. I learned all the non-solo parts of Paranoid and War Pigs, but Iron Man was the first tune where I was able to learn all the riffs AND the solos and play them all note-for-note and play them well.

I never really got into copying too many solos note-for-note, though. I'd learn the main riffs, verse and chorus parts the way they were recorded and I liked to learn bits and pieces of various solos (like, memorable parts or intro/outro) but I always liked winging the solos.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• VAiN
        Use my hand, I won't look
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Within my first year of playing, when I was about 15, I got the book to VHI.. the first thing i learned was the RWTD solo... that book was like a goldmine!
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• ashstralia
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          The bridge was built like a tank. It was a chunk of metal.
          the original edge bridges are awesome.bridge.jpg

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

The guy who inspired me to play guitar was not EVH, nor was it Jimmy Page or Jimmy Hendrix. It was Ace Frehley. To this day I listen to the man's licks and I go, yeah, they were tasty. The man was a true rock star in every sense of the word and you had to love that laugh of his.

No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I think this was the second solo I got down. Still a good song.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• VHscraps
                Veteran
                • Jul 2009

First I really thought I nailed, but probably was nowhere near close, was 'Rockin' at Midnight' by The Honeydrippers - who remembers that?! Great solo by Jeff Beck.

The first 'solo' I could actually play for sure and on the money was '316' by EVH.

I could never really play, though.
                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• vandeleur
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Sep 2009

On reflection the two prohibitive factors in me learning solo's or learning them late in guitar playing were:

A. Talent or lack of

B. Attention span .

C. Er What was I talking about .

I was a walking radio station , I could play every riff every catchy bit of any song but that was it , am not even sure I could play a full song before I joined a band.
                  I just wanted to play the hook or the intro , which ever bit caught mine or more importantly my potential audience's attention.
                  I just wanted to show off to my mates .
                  Plus I was into punk in my formative years and I didnt hear a lot of solo's played except the variety that copied the vocal melody. Obviously when I look back now there were loads.
                  fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• VHscraps
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by vandeleur
                    On reflection the two prohibitive factors in me learning solo's or learning them late in guitar playing were:

A. Talent or lack of

B. Attention span .

C. Er What was I talking about .
                    That was pretty much it for me. I had some mates who started at the same time and were advancing quicker, and realised there were way too many good players out there to think that I could make it as a musician.
                    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
                      Was listening to the radio earlier and a song came on that reminded me of the first solo I learnt.

When I was young I had loads of guitar lessons and one of the first Solo's I had to learn was

Alone by Heart .

I heard it today its still a canny little solo to start with and doesnt sound to bad even now.
                      'Alone'?

Sounds like a mackem quilt has got a hold of your password...

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

Yeah , it was a test from my guitar teacher . He had me playing loads of more melodic stuff .
                        It taught me a valuable lesson , the one with the pretty face is usually the fat one
                        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jul 2010

Don't laugh....O-kay , go ahead...the first solo I could play was.....get this...." Wipe Out " by the Surfari's when I was about 11 . I had a big old fat bodied electric by KAY guitars . It was a large and bulky hollow body but...it was electric . My instructor - Kelly Haefner and I worked on this for I don't know how long but , yes , I proudly nailed it .

Comment

Working...