X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckjitsu
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2012

ADKOT - Six Months Later

Well, we've had 6 months to marinate in it. Anything change for anybody over that period- songs (or the album in general) getting stronger or weaker with repeated listenings? General thoughts?

In some ways, I'm still amazed that the album is as good as it is. With Ed's more recent health issues (which were unknown to me until recent interviews) and the discord that has historically been around the band, I'm still a bit surprised they were able to make an album at all, much less one that kicks ass. Repeated listenings have just reinforced what I felt 6 months ago- the guys were confident and motivated and the result speaks for itself.

For me, my biggest "gainer" over the months has been As Is. I liked it originally, but my appreciation for it has really grown over the months- it's one of the top tracks for me. On a sort of flip side, I was hoping I'd warm up more to Big River, Stay Frosty and TTWN. Didn't happen. I like those tunes, but they weren't able to climb out of my second tier of tunes in to the first tier.

Anybody else? Thoughts?
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Good question. I still love the whole damn CD, but if I were to pick a "gainer" it would be Tattoo. One early review of this song, from before any of us heard it, was that it was a "grower". It sure has grown on me, especially since hearing it take on a bit more life live. I also like Big River more now that I've been hearing it on TV in sporting events. Heard it a lot during Flyers-Devils games.

I genuinely hope that the February surprise that the band has alluded to is another batch of slamming tunes.

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Well, I'm surprised that I don't listen to it as much as I thought I would. Part of that is due to that fact that I can only listen to CVH when the sun is shining, and the sun doesn't shine much here! Aside from that it probably means that whilst I like the album (a lot) I feel that some of Dave's work on it is a little underwhelming in places - The Trouble WIth Never annoys me, for instance.

But when I crank it what I hear is HUNGER. And if you'd told me that the new VH record would sound hungry this time last year I'd have laughed.....
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• fourthcoming

AS IS was an instant classic for me anyway. I think the tune that grew on me the most is You And Your Blues. It just seems like a perfectly constructed song. I love this album.

Comment

• NIN1211
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by fourthcoming
          AS IS was an instant classic for me anyway. I think the tune that grew on me the most is You And Your Blues. It just seems like a perfectly constructed song. I love this album.

Big River and Outta Space...best 2 CVH songs on there.

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.

Comment

• Fairwrning
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

I still play it almost daily...impossible to put faves in order..Honeybabi.. is still my fave..agree AS IS has really grown on me..Tattoo is only song I skip over at times..

Comment

• DlocRoth
              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
              I still play it almost daily...impossible to put faves in order..Honeybabi.. is still my fave..agree AS IS has really grown on me..Tattoo is only song I skip over at times..
              I had listened to Tattoo so many times (and fucking loved it) before my CD arrived that I skipped it every time I listened, which is almost twice daily. On the way to and from work.

Anyways, about 2 months ago I gave it a spin. This song absolutely kicks ass. Especially when fully cranked on a nice system. From the last verse through to the end it just charges like a fucking runaway stampede.

So yeah... I guess I like Tattoo again.
              Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Yount
                Commando
                • Jan 2012

The thing I realized (duh) was that this whole CD is very adult with barely an expletive to be heard.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                  The thing I realized (duh) was that this whole CD is very adult with barely an expletive to be heard.
                  Apart from "Sinners Swing", I don't remember any expletives on the old albums either.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Yount
                    Commando
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by FORD
                    Apart from "Sinners Swing", I don't remember any expletives on the old albums either.
                    Dave has class... 'til you realize what he's singing about.

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

I'm still in awe of the overall sound.
                      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• knuckleboner
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

outta space definitely grew. seemed like a kinda stupid title, initially. and really, aliens? but each time it starts up, i'm going, "holy shit, does this thing cook." fast in, fast out. outta space, indeed.

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

Am still loving it , think hbsd and as is are in the top three tracks on it along with blood and fire which to me was the single , the opening salvo of told you I was coming back would have been a cool way to say hey we're back here is the first single
                          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Monkeeman
                            Groupie
                            • Jul 2012

Still loving the album on a whole. Grower = Tattoo. I used to start the CD at track 2 for ages, then a few weeks ago I forgot and listened to Tattoo. And loved it. Track I have gone off and now skip = Trouble With Never.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                              ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

There are a few tracks I still listen to regularly,Mainly Tattoo and China town but I have not played the whole album for some time.I still like the album but when i want to listen to Van Halen i tend to go for Van Halen 1
                              I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                              Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

Working...