X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave's PA Rental
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I'll bet those weren't little things...
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• robg8888
      Full On Cocktard
      • Oct 2010

For me, its like things came full circle. I remember riding my bike down to Rainbow Records in Cape Coral Florida (look it up, it still exists) to pick up 1984 when it first came out. I had been a VH fan since hearing Diver Down in my older brother's car. I probably figured I had many years to enjoy the original lineup, but sadly they broke up the next year. On Tuesday, I drove my car down to the very same small, local record store, and bought the new CD. Its as if time froze a bit since I was waiting for Dave's next album with VH all of these years.

So far I am noticing many little subtle things on the new CD that are very cool and reflective odes to the past. Blood and Fury, to me, is their coming out song on this album. It is the bridge from past to present. "We came, we came, through blood and fire!!!!!". Their shout out to the hard work and hard times they endured, together, seperately, and then together again. "Now look at all the people here tonight" as he says in the song. A very cool salute to his 1980's mega stage presence and crowd rap. But what I liked the most is that after the break before Ed's solo, Dave confidently says: "I told ya' I'd be back", and then Eddie's very next response? His most classic elephant roar. Not the kind we've heard on the albums, but the most authentic classic, on stage, 1977, elephant scream where Ed would turn his back to the other guitarists in the audience. This was Dave and Ed making ammends right before our very steaming eyes.

Comment

• Chong Li
        Head Fluffer
        • Jan 2004

I am glad the poster above me posted the same way I feel about Blood and Fire. When Dave says "Told you I would be back, tell me you miss, say it like you mean it", he is talking to US. What a beautiful thing!!! And Ed's solo on that piece is CVH, nothing else. Its like time stood still. The big difference now? You can hear Ed having a blast playing with his son. He sounds joyous in his playing.
        "Can't you hear Jamies cryin? Shes runnin with the Devil oh nooooo!!! oh no!

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
          Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Angel
          Yes I can. I gave two roadies blowjobs in an attempt to get backstage in '80. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't know about local "day" crew... TOP THAT ONE!!!!
          I still can't believe you tell people that story!

Oh dear.

Comment

• rocking ron
            Head Fluffer
            • Sep 2010

In 1978 most teenagers in Holland were into disco(SaturdayNightFever) and Abba, and I was...........

'RUNNIN' with the Devil...

Comment

• Angel
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
              I still can't believe you tell people that story!
              I never thought I would tell it again, lol I just couldn't resist the dare!
              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• NIN1211
                Head Fluffer
                • Jan 2012

My Mom coming home with Diver Down...I was 11......got me through alot of shit......yet here I am...Damn this disc rules. Been taking random car rides. My wife thinks I am having an affair!

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.

Comment

• Yount
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by NIN1211
                  My wife thinks I am having an affair!
                  She's not wrong!

Comment

• Chong Li
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by NIN1211
                    My Mom coming home with Diver Down...I was 11......got me through alot of shit......yet here I am...Damn this disc rules. Been taking random car rides. My wife thinks I am having an affair!

Hah. I am the same age, Diver Down was my first album. I loved the big red cover...and that awesome photo in the sleeve/back with Dave wearing the gi top, Alex looking so cool in his shades...

As a kid, I always wanted to be a mix of David Lee Roth and Alex Van Halen. Watching Dave do his kicks is what got me into martial arts 28 years ago...I always thought Alex looked cool and distant like he just didnt give a fuck. Role models!

I remember getting 1984 for Christmas on tape along with ZZ Top Eliminator right before I turned 14....I remember calling into MTV to keep Jump as the top video every week...the closest competition was when She was Hot by the Stones came out....all my classmates loved that video, but I just liked the simplicity of Jump. Always watched how dusty the keyboard was in that video.

I remember the first time I heard Van Halen- it was 1982, I was at the mall and the cool older high school kids had a boom box playing Little Guitars. I was mesmerized by the guitar riff. Just entranced.

God, Van Halen was such a big part of my life. Seeing DLR solo in 1986 was my first concert. Went with some older guys in a van...got so wasted, it hurt.

Didnt see Dave again until 2003. I had tickets in 88 but I had to sell them, was in a lot of trouble at the time.

I was so glad to see them in 07. I honestly didnt think it would ever happen. Yes, I gave up hope.

Still waiting for the tickets to get cheaper before the Mohegan Sun show, scalpers will have to bail out sooner or later.

I too am spending a lot of time in the car this week listening to the CD. Its just not the same on a computer.

Not a frequent poster, but always loved it here. I remember when it was Slawterhouse or something? Been coming here for over 12 years.

"Say it like you mean it".
                    "Can't you hear Jamies cryin? Shes runnin with the Devil oh nooooo!!! oh no!

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                      Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

If you end up going to Mohegan Sun, make sure you check in that thread to find out where everybody's going to meet up. Roth Army pre show gatherings are a tradition!

Oh dear.

Comment

• Angel
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
                        I'll bet those weren't little things...
                        I do vaguely recall a very sore jaw in addition to ringing ears the next morning. OMG,, why do I tell you guys this shit?
                        "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Mrkramer
                          Melbourne Rock City..
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Feb 2012

First time l heard VH was in 1982 it was summer, at a party for a friends 16th birthday. I was there with my year 9 girlfriend at the time and someone changed the record from Iron Maidens number of the beast and put on WACF. It was like chalk and cheese to Maiden, it sounded like a party ! That was the night I heard a guitar player that knocked me out and a voice that I love to this day..over the years I would buy bootleg VCR tapes from some cat in Canada and wait like 2 months to get it and be blown away by some shitty footage .. Same with buying bootleg records from Germany... It wasn't till Roth toured in 88 that I saw him and then another 10 years later VH with GC ..

Comment

• Southpaw
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2009

just heard Beats Workin playing leading into break at end of first quarter of Knicks/Lakers game...

Comment

• Coyote
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

I had forgotten that incendiary feeling of hearing earth-shattering guitar...

Just had a flashback...
                              Couple of years ago, I was a designated driver for some friends.
                              Me, a couple of guys and their girls, in a friends tuned '03 Audi. Reasonably rapid transportation, complete with 20" rims, pink fur trimming (for the ladies) and a killer stereo.
                              Mainly loaded with flavor-of-the-day hiphop and techno. Which had been the reason why I'd brought along a few of my own CD's. VH II and Fair Warning...
                              Now, keeping in mind that we were just cruising around the hometown, the girls got a little bored. No wonder, since we had (for some reason) restricted ourselves to an area the size of a New York block to cruise around at.
                              And the guys were starting to question my abilities as a fast driver.

So... Into the CD player goes VHII, cue "Light Up The Sky"... Wait for that first snare hit... Downshift... And the car goes from crawling behind tractors (that's how we roll out here) to screaming past everybody, laced with fast cornering.
                              The entire time, the guys are in shock and the girls are delighted. I think one of the girls developed a crush on me...

Thank you, Van Halen.
                              Last edited by Coyote; 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM.
                              Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• chi-town324
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Feb 2007

Van Halen always makes me drive fast...i haven't been under 75 on the expressway to work all last week

Comment

Working...