X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

I think Pacquiao-Mayweather is inevitable - the delays are just to hype it even more.

As for Pacquaio-Clottey, I think this is strategy on the part of Roach. Pacquaio has never looked great against guys who don't come straight at him, like Juan Manuel Marquez. In Clottey, he faces a guy with a very difficult defensive style - this is clearly preparation for Floyd. I'm not saying Clottely fights like Floyd (he's not as relaint upon footwork, but rather uses a difficult guard, sort of a poor-man's Winky Wright), but there is an element of getting Pacman ready to face guys who pose difficult problems.

Clottely will be a LOT bigger and stronger. I'd be very surprised if Manny stops him. That being said, whilst Clottey is an elite fighter, he's always going to be #3 rather than #1 - he only has one gear, and can't seem to up the pace at the crucial moments. He had Cotto ready to go, but let him back into the fight.

This might not be an easy night for Manny, but I expect his superior speed and workrate to seal a UD.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

I can't help thinking that at some point Manny is going to get clocked by one of these bigger guys and go down...maybe even a couple of times and have to survive to continue on in the fight. Does Plotty, or Clottey, have the power to do it? Yes he does. Does he have the speed to catch Manny? Not straight up if Manny is looking for the punch. However, Manny gets wild and overconfident at times and i think that could serve trouble for him here because he could get hit with something that he doesn't see coming. My issue with Plotty, as Binnie points out, is if he were to get Manny holding on for dear life, could he close the show. I don't think he can. I don't think it is going to be an easy night for Manny but i think he will win as well by UD but i wouldn't be surprised if Manny gets hurt in this fight. I don't see the typical Manny blowout as he did to Cotto.
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• DlocRoth
        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I think you guys are giving Clottey's power too much credit. His KO ratio isnt great. That being said, he's a good fighter who will make for perhaps an interesting fight. Gotta agree with you all, however. Pac Man in a UD.
        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I'll settle for Manny getting a UD win IF he gets knocked down a couple of times... and has to come back and do some work to do it...he's had it so easy his last few fights I almost believe he IS juicing.
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Well, what a shitty fight. Manny completely shut Clottey out, or to be more accurate, Clottey shut himself out.

He just didn't pressure Manny - Clottey has super-human endurance, and a very tight guard, but that's it. As I predicted, he only has one speed, and when combined with the lack of urgency he showed tonight, it made it an easy UD for Manny - not so much because Manny looked spectacular (he threw 1,200 punches and didn't really hurt Clottey, WTF?) but because Clottey gave the judges nothing to score.

Manny is great, no question. But Christ Clottey, get in the fuckin' game.

I hope Mayweather - Mosely is more competitve.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
              Veteran
              • Jun 2005

Binnie you called it. Plotty didn't give himself a chance to win. That was so frustrating to watch. Jim Lampley said it best during the fight when he commented that he wasn't sure Clottey came to win. What was an even bigger disappointment to me was the undercard and the performance of Jose Louis Castillo. He has faded so badly. That war with Corrales zapped him of everything he had.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

I think the Ricky Hatton body shot took him of everything he had

Clottey is a tough dude, but it looked to me like he came for a payday. Shame, he had the size to make it a really hard night for Manny - if I'd been in his corner, I'd have been pushing him to hold and lean on Manny, make him tired. Oh well, plenty of grea fights coming up....

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2005

Here is the one that has me salivating:

April 17
                  At Atlantic City, N.J. (HBO): Kelly Pavlik vs. Sergio Martinez, 12 rounds

Can Pavlik fight as well as Paul Williams did to narrowly escape Martinez? I'm not so sure........

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                    Here is the one that has me salivating:

April 17
                    At Atlantic City, N.J. (HBO): Kelly Pavlik vs. Sergio Martinez, 12 rounds

Can Pavlik fight as well as Paul Williams did to narrowly escape Martinez? I'm not so sure........
                    Me neither...Pavlik's been rocked before...this could be interesting...

And who's going to win the Mayweather-Mosley bout?
                    Originally posted by conmee
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                    Originally posted by eddie78
                    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Pavlik-Martinez should be a good scrap.

I've watched Williams-Martinez six times now, and every time I score it differently. I am not at all convinced that Williams won that fight, and I think that Martinez has been unlucky in the past (like the 'draw' against Cintron - laughable.)

That being said, Martinez doesn't have the same calibre of opponents on his resume that Pavlik does (Williams aside.) Some would argue that's a big factor in calling this fight, but I'm not so sure. Martinez may be behind in experience, but I'd say he's ahead in momentum - the fight with Williams will have been invigorating, despite the defeat, and Pavlik has generally looked like dogshit since Bhop made him look like a glorified journeyman. Martinez is no Bhop, but he's not a come forward in straight lines slugger that Kelly likes, either. I expect Martinez to cause Kelly some problems, but I doubt he'll have the power to seriosuly hurt Pavlik. The question of how he takes Pavlik's shots is more interesting - Kelly is a heavy handed middleweight, and Martinez has campaigned for most of his fights at 154. This could be decisive.

At the moment, however, I'm leaning towards Martinez is a close fight, maybe a SD. I don't think that Kelly's re-gained any of the momentum he lost with Bhop, and I think that Martinez's speed and evasive footwork will be enough to prevent the bigger man being able to use his power for any consistent length of time. I stress that's an initial consideration - it might change as I (force myself) to re-watch Kelly's last two fights....

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Mayweather - Mosely is an incredibly interesting match. It would have been even better 7-8 years ago, but hey, at least its happening.

Mosely is the biggest man Floyd has faced in a long time, and one of the most heavy-handed he's ever faced. He also has very fast hands. That being said, he's doesn't really have a jab, so those fast combinations aren't going to be working off much, and I expect most of them to miss. Lets be honest about this: Mosely has never, EVER, looked good against slick boxers - Winky Wright absolutely schooled him twice, and Vernon Forrest outboxed him comprehensively in their first bout (the second was much closer.) Forrest is no Mayweather. I can see Floyd quite comprehensively outpointing Mosely - Miguel Cotto, no pure boxer, counterpunched Shane all night, and if he can then Floyd will be even more succesful (I actually thought Shane edged it against Cotto, for what it's worth.)

Mosely is one of my all time favourite fighters, and I'm not being down on him. If a guy comes forward to fight, Mosely will batter him with fast hands and power. But Floyd isn't going to be there to hit. Shane is trading off that spectacular win against Margaritto, who he made look like a mannequin. But that might be a red herring. Margaritto had just been exposed as a cheat in the locker room, and his head cannot have been clear for that fight. I think we have to remember Shane's fight beforehand - he really struggled with Mayorga, and got hit a lot.

I expect Shane to pressure Floyd all night, and to land some decent shots on him (certainly more than the four, yes, FOUR, that Juan Manuel Marquez managed.) But this will be a lopsided UD for Floyd - Mayweather will not hurt Shane physically but, as with so many other guys he outboxes, the mental scars of being so thoroughly outclassed will be lasting.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see how Shane does this.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Wladimir Klitschko - Eddie Chambers this Saturday.

I expect Wlad will win this one. Doesn't everybody? I just hope that Eddie goes to fight - I can't even remember the last time a guy got in the ring with either of the brothers who looked like he wasn't just there for a pay day. Eddie just isn't big enough to cause Wlad any serious bother, but he might be able to give him a decent scrap if he goes to win.

Comment

• Dan
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

WTF?

Shane Cameron V John Hopoate full fight 18/03/10.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0db4YRCe1Zo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0db4YRCe1Zo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                            First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Dan
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

$24.95 For This Fight,I Want My Money Back.
                              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                                Veteran
                                • Jun 2005

This is a shame. This was going to be a decent free card for boxing fans. Hmmmm.....who do i believe is the culprit here?

'Friday Night Fights' title card called off - ESPN

Comment

Working...