X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The Rolling Stones played a surprise club gig, joined by Lady Gaga, at Racket in New York City to play songs from their new album 'Hackney Diamonds.'

Rolling Stones and Lady Gaga Shatter New York City at Surprise Club Gig

The album release party featured four 'Hackney Diamonds' tunes along with "Shattered," "Tumbling Dice," and "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

The crowd of celebrities, music industry insiders, and media folks that crammed into the New York City club Racket on Thursday evening had every reason to believe they were there to witness a Rolling Stones concert, but it was impossible to be sure at first. The invitation billed the event merely an an “Album Release Party” timed to the release of Hackney Diamonds. We were told all phones and smart watches would be placed in pouches, and “armed guards” and “personal security” wouldn’t be allowed in. “Dress cool,” read the invite. “It’s a party!”

The party started with a DJ set by Questlove and Samantha Urbani as the VIP section slowly filled up with the likes of Elvis Costello, Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz, and Chris Rock. Rumors circulated all week the Stones were going to play a mini set. The stage was set up with their gear, but it felt like an impossible dream that the world’s biggest rock band were going to play a 600-seat club that has two nights of Ben Kweller and a Talking Heads tribute band on their calendar.

Then the lights dimmed after 10:00 pm, and the Stones indeed walked out into the tiny stage. The core band of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, bassist Darryl Jones, and drummer Steve Jordan were joined only by keyboardist Matt Clifford, and background vocalist Chanel Haynes. (Longtime keyboardist Chuck Leavell, backup singers Bernard Fowler and Sasha Allen, and horn players Karl Denson and Tim Ries were all AWOL for the evening.)

“How are you doing?” Jagger asked the crowd. “You having a good time? We’re going to play old! We’re going to play new!”

The band started with old by going back to 1978 with “Shattered,” a tribute to a far grimier New York than the one of today. This was the first Stones performance of any sort in over a year, and there were concerns in some quarters when a planned summer tour was scuttled without explanation. Tonight, however, there weren’t any signs of rust. Jagger was in pristine form as he glided across the narrow stage and belted out the tale of West Side rats and uptown bed bugs without even glancing at the teleprompter.

They followed it up with the live premieres of “Angry” and “Whole Wide World.” They’re two of the best songs off Hackney Diamonds, which is racking up reviews calling it their best album in decades. (Best since Steel Wheels? Undercover? Tattoo You even? We need a few more listens to be sure, but there’s no doubt that it’s shockingly great.) Both of the songs crackled with life on the stage.

“It always seems that we launch our new albums in New York,” Jagger said. “We’ve done it in a blimp [in 2002]. We’ve done it on a flatbed truck going down 5th Avenue [in 1975]. We did it in a convertible going over the Brooklyn Bridge [in 1997] and a train going into Grand Central [in 1989]. We were missing the launches so much that we had to make another album to come back and re-launch it.”

“Tumblin’ Dice” was up next, but the truncated band meant they couldn’t do the usual extended coda. It was instead a fast and dirty one, similar to the Exile on Main Street original. Chanel Haynes did a stellar job on the background vocals. Her only prior performance with the Stones took place in 2022 when they flew her to Milan last minute to sing “Gimme Shelter” when Sasha Allen had to miss a show. She was starring as Tina Turner on the West End stage at the time, and the producers fired her for missing a performance to make the gig. It seems like she made the right call because it got her back on the stage with the Stones at least one more time.

“This is the first club gig we’ve played in a long time in New York,” Jagger said when the song wrapped. “I used to come to this club when it was called the Highline. Then it was called Blow and then Powder. Anyway, it’s great to be here making a racket. We’re going to make a racket with his next one. It’s called ‘Bite My Head Off.'”

This is the Hackney Diamonds songs featuring Paul McCartney on bass. It would have been a truly historic moment to see him come out to guest with them on it, but the Beatle is in Australia on his own tour. They did just fine without him, playing the tune at a breakneck speed while Richards and Wood gleefully traded licks. “You think I’m your bitch?” Jagger roared. “I’m fucking with your brain!”

After band intros, Jagger told the crowd they’d be familiar with the next song. It was “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” and witnessing it up close in a sweaty club as opposed to an 80,000-seat football stadiums was simply surreal. And even though they’ve played it 1,200 times over the past 55 years, more than any other song in their vast catalog, nothing about the performance felt even remotely rote.

They walked offstage at the end, returning after just about a minute for the live debut of “Sweet Sounds of Heaven” from Hackney Diamonds. Lady Gaga sings it with them on the record, and it was no surprise when she walked onto the Racket stage since she was watching the show from the wings all night. Wearing a red sequined jumpsuit, Gaga beamed with joy as she locked voices with Jagger and brought the gospel-tinged ballad to one soaring climax after another. “New York City, the Rolling Stones!” Gaga roared at the end. “Take a bow.”

It was an impossible moment to top. They didn’t even try. And even though they played a mere seven songs, and only three oldies, nobody walked out looking unhappy. This was the smallest venue the Stones have basically ever played in New York City, and likely the only gig they’re going to play anywhere this year. Everyone knew they’d just witnessed something historic.

The show sets up a stadium tour that’s very likely to head across America next summer. Let’s hope they break tradition and play more than just two or three Hackney Diamonds songs in the set. This isn’t another Voodoo Lounge or Bridges to Babylon. It’s not just a few decent songs and a lot of filler. This is a colossal achievement that nobody excepted from a group that started when JFK was president. They seemed on the verge of death many times in the past, and it’ll never be the same without Charlie Watts, but the Rolling Stones proved tonight that there’s at least one more great chapter to come before this whole saga wraps up.

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
      That's just sad. Make that beyond sad.

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I want to see the video of “Sweet Sounds Of Heaven”!

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I want to see them permanently retire and fuck off back to the Land of the Limey they came from.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
            That's just sad. Make that beyond sad.
            Yeah. They're in NYC having a great time. You woke up and get to be you today.
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Tell me something, what are the Stones doing that makes you still take any interest in them? You bitch about Biden being too old for Office (which he is) so what that difference here? There only so much I can take from seeing Jagger doing his arthritic shuffle and Ron Wood looks two steps away from someone calling for an ambulance for him. There is nothing new here, nothing refreshing, nothing at all interesting. Schleppy knew to quit; Rush knew when to quit (although they did hang it before Neil's death), even fucking Nirvana with their yellow-tooth drummer knew when to hang it up for good.

The Stones are not special, nor are they unique to their aging. They made a generic Justin Bieber record to appeal to...whom? A younger audience? If that is the case, they have failed. One listen is all I could stand. No need to revisit this album much less buy it. As somewhere said about KISS sometime ago...they only look upon their fans as human ATM machines. And what do the devoted fans get in return? A tepid platter of shit.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Biden struggles with steps!

Christ, what a fucking idiot you are.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I will bring the house down by saying Jimmy Page is still alive and happy.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Kristy is jealous that Mick eats more young pussy than she does.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                      Biden struggles with steps!

Christ, what a fucking idiot you are.
                      Am I? Want to make a bet Jagger will be needing a walker by the time their next rip-off tour stars? Ron Wood already looks like he has one foot in the coffin.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Tell me something, what are the Stones doing that makes you still take any interest in them? You bitch about Biden being too old for Office (which he is) so what that difference here? There only so much I can take from seeing Jagger doing his arthritic shuffle and Ron Wood looks two steps away from someone calling for an ambulance for him. There is nothing new here, nothing refreshing, nothing at all interesting. Schleppy knew to quit; Rush knew when to quit (although they did hang it before Neil's death), even fucking Nirvana with their yellow-tooth drummer knew when to hang it up for good.

The Stones are not special, nor are they unique to their aging. They made a generic Justin Bieber record to appeal to...whom? A younger audience? If that is the case, they have failed. One listen is all I could stand. No need to revisit this album much less buy it. As somewhere said about KISS sometime ago...they only look upon their fans as human ATM machines. And what do the devoted fans get in return? A tepid platter of shit.
                        I'd can't disagree with the sentiments, save for listening to the new material because I...simply can't be bothered to even expend the energy the click PLAY and spend the time listening. "Hey, man! You can't say it doesn't hold up to their best work if you haven't even listened to it! I'm TELLIN' you, it's (here comes the familiar refrain one hears with any new Stones release going as far back as the Voodoo Lounge album) the best stuff they've done since Some Girls!!"

Nope. Wasn't true with Voodoo Lounge. Nor Bridges To Babylon. Nor A Bigger Bang. Not buying that pencil from your cup.

It's just...the band is boring. Yet another round of gigs in the local EnormoDome, wheezing out the oldies. Beyond stale far as my money goes.

I can understand the desire to get a glimmer of the glory days and nostalgia. When the nostalgia aspect is no longer effective and the new material is subpar, both of which have been true of the Stones for (and I'm being kind here) at least 30 years...I'd sooner pop in of the band's many vault releases. Like, as tacky as Billy Preston was when touring with the band in 1975/1976, at least the group then were still capable of doing things that were interesting on a creative level...back then, it hadn't yet devolved totally into a nostalgia trip way past it's sell by date.

But doubtless this new tour will sell out football stadiums wherever it goes. Thus, I suppose I shouldn't mock the band too much...clearly whatever 'it' is, the band still have it if they're still packing them in like sardines at $500 a pop.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                          It's just...the band is boring. Yet another round of gigs in the local EnormoDome, wheezing out the oldies. Beyond stale far as my money goes.

That's what turdonabummer and slave FORD fail to understand: they are not the Stones anymore and this is not a Stones album no matter the name on the album cover. They are another in a series of endless nostalgia touring acts with only their name turning into dollar signs based upon their reputation. They are not looking to the future nor the past - just easy money and if people want to buy this shit no matter how much they have lazily promoted it. This album is a letdown much like A Bigger Bang was some 18 years ago. Jagger doesn't give a shit about the Stones other than what he can market from his gullible fans. How many more "best of" or "greatest hits" and poorly recorded live albums are they going to churn out? I guess the boomers have the money to support Mick and Keith's lifestyle but I'll pass on giving them a god damn dime if this is the best they can muster. They really quit being the Stones the day Wyman left the band and they never sounded the same since.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

That's what turdonabummer and slave FORD fail to understand: they are not the Stones anymore and this is not a Stones album no matter the name on the album cover. They are another in a series of endless nostalgia touring acts with only their name turning into dollar signs based upon their reputation. They are not looking to the future nor the past - just easy money and if people want to buy this shit no matter how much they have lazily promoted it. This album is a letdown much like A Bigger Bang was some 18 years ago. Jagger doesn't give a shit about the Stones other than what he can market from his gullible fans. How many more "best of" or "greatest hits" and poorly recorded live albums are they going to churn out? I guess the boomers have the money to support Mick and Keith's lifestyle but I'll pass on giving them a god damn dime if this is the best they can muster. They really quit being the Stones the day Wyman left the band and they never sounded the same since.
                            Long as Mick and Keith are still vertical the 'band' can go on calling themselves the Stones indefinitely, I suppose. For whomever is willing to settle for it.

Truth be told, the last few albums Wyman played on were no great shakes overall, either. The Steel Wheels tour (as opposed to the album, which was a weak effort) wasn't a bad one. I kinda liked that Highwire single they did just after the Steel Wheels tour concluded (even though it was basically recycling the Honky Tonk Woman riff). But that single was...what 1990? 1991? Last time I've had any real use for anything they've recorded, and even THAT was a mild sense of enjoyment.

Last track I thought was brilliant was the title track to the Undercover album. For me, that's where the Stones ended.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              I will bring the house down by saying Jimmy Page is still alive and happy.
                              And for that matter, are we sure that Jimmy Page and Joe Biden are NOT the same guy?

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                                Long as Mick and Keith are still vertical the 'band' can go on calling themselves the Stones indefinitely, I suppose. For whomever is willing to settle for it.

Truth be told, the last few albums Wyman played on were no great shakes overall, either. The Steel Wheels tour (as opposed to the album, which was a weak effort) wasn't a bad one. I kinda liked that Highwire single they did just after the Steel Wheels tour concluded (even though it was basically recycling the Honky Tonk Woman riff). But that single was...what 1990? 1991? Last time I've had any real use for anything they've recorded, and even THAT was a mild sense of enjoyment.
                                It was early 1991. The single was a commentary on Poppy Bush's Iraq war. It was Wyman's last recording as an official band member, though he didn't appear in the video.

Ironically he DID appear in the video for "Sex Drive", the other single they put out at the same time, though he didn't play on that one. I'm guessing the number of barely clothed women in that video probably had something to do with it....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...