Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Van Halen returned to Verizon Center on Wednesday with its original lead singer, David Lee Roth, and entertained the sold-out crowd with a mix of songs from Roth’s first stint with the band and Van Halen’s new album, “A Different Kind of Truth.”

Van Halen, David Lee Roth keep the hits coming at Verizon Center
    By Chris Klimek, Thursday, March 29, 6:12 PM

“I’ll be your substitute teacher for the remainder of the concert,” preened 57-year-old David Lee Roth on Wednesday night, midway through Van Halen’s wry, spry gig at a sold-out Verizon Center. He was introducing the Van Halen classic “Hot for Teacher.”

Substitute? Psshaw! Roth’s the real thing!

This wasn’t Van Halen’s first tour with its cocksure original singer since he was kicked out of the band in the mid-1980s. Roth and the trio of Van Halens — guitar god Eddie, drummer Alex and 21-year-old spawn-of-Eddie, Wolfgang, on bass — made up and made a killing on the road in 2007 and into ’08.

This time, Eddie kept his shirt on and instead flogged “A Different Kind of Truth,” Van Halen’s first full album with Roth since 1984. Performed at detail-eradicating volume, a handful of new songs sounded enough like the circa 1978-84 warhorses that dominated the two-hour set to pass muster. But Roth’s attempt to get the mostly middle-aged crowd to sing “Tah! Too! Tah! Too!” during a new jam entitled, uh, “Tattoo” flamed out faster than his post-Halen solo career did.

The passage of three decades since Van Halen’s debut has altered Eddie’s distinct, finger-tapping guitar sound about as much as it’s changed the Grand Canyon. Whether shaped into the service of an actual song (like “Dance the Night Away” or “Panama”) or allowed to roam free (as on the seminal instrumental “Eruption,” which elicited as much crowd frenzy as “Jump” did), the visceral power of Eddie’s playing is undeniable.

While Roth appeared to have preserved the slithery physicality of his MTV years, he doles out his signature scissor-kicks more sparingly nowadays. These moves were not embarrassing, but the fact that every single kick got a dutiful slow-motion replay on the huge video screen kind of was.

Roth’s choreography was as smooth as his patter was unintelligible. He’d pivot his feet in opposite directions then back together, take a knee, twirl his microphone stand like it was a baton or a UCLA Bruins cheerleader. A cornball showman beats a mopey, bearded balladeer any day.

His singing was up to the job, heavily punctuated with “Wooo!” Eddie’s guitar was louder than anything else, which is the natural order of things, but it would’ve been nice to feel what the rhythm section was doing, other than during the Latin-accented drum solo that bridged covers of Roy Orbison’s “(Oh) Pretty Woman” and the Kinks’ “You Really Got Me.”

Ballads? As if! Slow songs were a feature of the post-Roth, Sammy Hagar-fronted Van Halen, which the show ignored. The only rest was an odd interlude with Roth picking on an acoustic guitar while the screen showed footage of him playing on a farm with his sheepdogs. It was like he’d suddenly decided to throw the newsboy cap he wore for half a song into the Republican primary race. The bit ended with him singing the double-entendre-laden “Ice Cream Man.”

But the craziness was calculated. Every time Roth discarded clothing, he tossed it not to the front rows of audience (populated mainly by men), but to a stagehand who carefully brushed off and replaced each sequined jacket on a rack that remained in plain sight throughout the show. Rock-and-roll!
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• shortykb
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Jan 2012

New Poster here...but a lifelong fan of Van Halen!

All I can say is that Van Halen rocked the house! I loved the show, got to hear most of my favorites (wished for D.O.A.) and would see them if all they sang was Happy Birthday and Ring Around the Rosie! They still have it and were worth every penny!

Kool and the Gang was a great opening act also. Got the place going even though the area was half empty when they played.

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
        Head Fluffer
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by shortykb
        New Poster here...but a lifelong fan of Van Halen!

All I can say is that Van Halen rocked the house! I loved the show, got to hear most of my favorites (wished for D.O.A.) and would see them if all they sang was Happy Birthday and Ring Around the Rosie! They still have it and were worth every penny!

Kool and the Gang was a great opening act also. Got the place going even though the area was half empty when they played.
        Welcome, Shorty!.....
        I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
          Veteran
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by shortykb
          would see them if all they sang was Happy Birthday and Ring Around the Rosie! They still have it and were worth every penny!
          That's awesome! I honestly think I would be happy to see that too!
          Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• VanHalener
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• VanHalener
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Comment

• VanHalener
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Comment

• knuckleboner
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Light Em' Up!
                  thank you!!!!

the one song the knuckleboner missed. and i'll be damned if that's not pretty close to our seats.

Comment

• VanHalener
                    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

A little sample of Kool and The Gang
                    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                    Last edited by VanHalener; 03-30-2012, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      When he was young he could be astonishingly pissy and annoying about all sorts of things from trading mp3s to some pretty extreme politics.

He grew up and by all accounts became a nice guy but I don't think he will post here fearing old arguments would start up again.
                      Well, for what it's worth...I had the opportunity to meet Lou in Atlantic City last weekend and he seemed like a straight-up nice guy to me.

We should never forget that people's internet personas rarely represent who they really are....
                      Originally posted by perilouspete
                      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Light Em' Up!
                        Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when they rip into "Unchained" and that picture of the four of them scrolls up behind them....
                        Originally posted by perilouspete
                        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Carmine
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                          I had the opportunity to meet Lou in Atlantic City last weekend and he seemed like a straight-up nice guy to me.
                          He is...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Even he has said his online persona used to be pretty unpleasant at times. I think he found meeting posters in real life changed his attitude.

I wish he would start posting again.

Comment

• Carmine
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2004

I do too, Sesh...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Just exchanged emails with our DDE rep.....

She really enjoys reading all of the Tour threads, and said she wishes she had more time so she could pop in to the meetups before the shows and say hello....
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...