Sir Roger Moore is Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Roger Moore is Dead

James Bond actor Sir Roger Moore dies aged 89 after short battle with cancer
    Roger Moore

Roger Moore Credit:
    Leon Watson

23 May 2017 • 2:31pm

Former James Bond star Sir Roger Moore has died in Switzerland at the age of 89 after a short battle with cancer, his family has announced.

A message shared on the actor's official Twitter account read: "With the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated."

Former James Bond star Sir Roger Moore has died in Switzerland at the age of 89 after a short battle with cancer, his family has announced.

Leisure suit Bond...

Always liked when they were the Sunday night ABC movie. ABC announcer (and Cleveland's "Ghoulardi") Ernie Anderson: "And now, The Spy Who Loooooved Me."
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Connery was the "real" Bond, of course. But most of us in our generation probably saw a Roger Moore movie first. He certainly did a better job in the part than most of those who followed him (Daniel Craig is OK, but Dalton & Remington Steele???). Moore's movies were a little on the campy side, but entertaining, at least.

And his old 60s TV series, "The Saint" wasn't bad either (that's how he got chosen for the Bond role in the first place)

RIP, Mr. Bond.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Wow. Limey children are slaughtered at a concert and all Niki Wiki can do is reminiscence about one particular dead limey who was a shit actor to begin with.

Comment

RIP, Sir Roger Moore.

Liked him as Bond almost as much as Connery. Saw him regularly on TV in "The Persuaders!" once a week in the 70s. He was so great in his role as Lord (Brett) Sinclair.

Comment

A class act. Loved him as Bond as he brought a tongue in cheek aspect to the role. A great UNICEF representative as well.
            RIP Sir Roger

Comment

Moore was cool as the Beau Maverick but I didn't care for him as James Bond.
              RIP Roger.
              Beware of Dog

Comment

Originally posted by FORD View Post
                Connery was the "real" Bond, of course. But most of us in our generation probably saw a Roger Moore movie first. He certainly did a better job in the part than most of those who followed him (Daniel Craig is OK, but Dalton & Remington Steele???). Moore's movies were a little on the campy side, but entertaining, at least.

And his old 60s TV series, "The Saint" wasn't bad either (that's how he got chosen for the Bond role in the first place)

RIP, Mr. Bond.
                My first exposure to the James Bond series was through the Roger Moore films. I think the first one I ever saw was...Moonraker, maybe? Or maybe The Spy Who Loved Me...one of those two. I didn't even see a Connery Bond flick until Never Say Never Again (which I liked) came out in the early 1980s, and I think I've only seen bits and pieces of the earlier/1960s Connery flicks. In point of fact, I'd sooner watch a Daniel Craig Bond flick than a Connery one.

So, growing up when I always heard how "Connery is the 'real'/best Bond" I never cared much: the Moore films got the job done just fine for me. At least until A View To A Kill, when it became obvious that Moore was a BIT too long in the tooth for that role. But I still like the Moore Bond flicks. The longer he stuck with the series, the more of a wink and a nod he gave to the whole biz, even when onscreen.

I think For Your Eyes Only is my all-time fave Bond flick.

Godspeed, Roger Moore.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                  I think For Your Eyes Only is my all-time fave Bond flick.
                  Really? Wow that's an unusual point of view but I sort of get it.

Top trivia it's the only one I think where someone was actually killed making it, a stuntman in one of the ski chases and also had a trans 'Bond girl' so way ahead of the game.

Personally I hated the cold open which was too Austin Powers for me even at the time but there are some great moments.

I was lucky enough to go to a one man show with Roger Moore just last year and he was great.

Anyone that has read any of his books or paid attention to him at all has to know that he was one of the good guys, totally self deprecating and did a hell of a lot of charitable work.

First 'proper' Bond to die although without checking I think the oldest.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
                    Really? Wow that's an unusual point of view but I sort of get it.

Top trivia it's the only one I think where someone was actually killed making it, a stuntman in one of the ski chases and also had a trans 'Bond girl' so way ahead of the game.

Personally I hated the cold open which was too Austin Powers for me even at the time but there are some great moments.

I was lucky enough to go to a one man show with Roger Moore just last year and he was great.

Anyone that has read any of his books or paid attention to him at all has to know that he was one of the good guys, totally self deprecating and did a hell of a lot of charitable work.

First 'proper' Bond to die although without checking I think the oldest.
                    I think it has to do with For Your Eyes Only being the first one I ever saw in a movie theater (Moonraker and The Spy Who Loved Me I saw on tv). And that Sean Connery had stopped making Bond films shortly after I was born, so growing up I had never associated him with the role in the way that I had Moore. Plus, For Your Eyes Only has Carole Bouquet, who is stunningly gorgeous. The opening...that was the one with the remote-controlled helicopter and dropping the guy down the large chimney, right? If so...yeah, THAT was a bit hokey. But it also had all those great ski slope stunts, plus the gags involving the shark. AND it had a young, voluptuous Lynn-Holly Johnson. I even liked the next one, Octopussy, quite a bit, too!

Honestly, I'd be least likely to watch the Bond stuff out of anything Connery did. I'd sooner watch Outland (which is a GREAT fuckin' movie, IMO).

Is Lazenby still alive?
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                      I'd sooner watch Outland (which is a GREAT fuckin' movie, IMO).
                      Haven't seen Outland in forever but I know I saw it in the theater.

I think Moonraker was the first Bond I saw in the theater. Most of the others (as mentioned) on TV.

I thought Brosnan was okay, but obviously a bit late. He was tied up doing Remington Steele.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
                        Wow. Limey children are slaughtered at a concert and all Niki Wiki can do is reminiscence about one particular dead limey who was a shit actor to begin with.
                        Well go save them, Jew Hunter! Unless they're yids! Then fuck them!!!

Must be so hard to smoke pot all day while reading Alt right white nationalist media and then pretend to give a shit...
                        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 05-24-2017, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by twonabomber View Post

I think Moonraker was the first Bond I saw in the theater. Most of the others (as mentioned) on TV.

I thought Brosnan was okay, but obviously a bit late. He was tied up doing Remington Steele.
                          Saw Outland recently and it was great...

Comment

To me Roger Moore will remain as the classiest actor ever.

I've never cared about James Bond in general, either with him or Connery. I recently heard Moore was the first choice for Bond but was said "too handsome" for the role, then Sean Connery was called.

I'll always prefer his French voice rather than his own though.

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

Originally posted by twonabomber View Post

Meh. Brosnan WAS okay, but that's about all he was. By the time he started playing the role, he was a bit too long in the tooth...and it must be said Brosnan has never exuded an aura of toughness. A little too old and a little too unconvincing in the fight scenes. Particularly when he was pitted up against someone like Jonathan Pryce as the Bond villain: I mean, shit, it looked like a catfight between two mildly effeminate maitre d's, fer fuckssake. When Craig took over from Brosnan, [Craig] brought back some of that brute masculinity that the series needed, and I think the Craig films rebooted the series and produced a level of quality not seen since the late 1970s with Moore.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...
                              X