Oberheim Returns With The OB-X8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oberheim Returns With The OB-X8

8-voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer with 2 SEM/OB-X-lineage VCOs Per Voice, SEM-lineage VCFs, Curtis Filters, 61-key FATAR Velocity-/Touch-sensitive Keyboard, OLED Display, and 400+ Presets

All analog signal path. "By combining all the primary features of the OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8 models, the OB-X8 contains a selection of the most unforgettable and iconic synth sounds of the '80s, complete with individual filter types and all the presets that made each a standout instrument."

$5k, shipping in June.

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

At Superbooth

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Good thing I just paid off my Roland Jupiter X damn Sweetwater and their 48 month financing!

Comment

It's 1984 again. Play now pay later. You will get a keyboard and some candy.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
          $5k, shipping in June.
          I had no idea synths still cost $5k.

Surely there is an emulator you can put on a laptop and then just attach a MIDI keyboard to for a fraction of that?

Comment

Sure. That OB-X is a good emulator.

Might be a good investment. Wouldn't be gigged and beat up. Who knows.

I'm still getting into the Jupiter X and a couple other things I picked up. Stupid busy with everything else right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
              I had no idea synths still cost $5k.
              Jupiter X was half that and they put the fucking four years same as cash on it lol. That was my birthday present to myself last year. I went with a vintage piece after my junkie friend moved out in 2020.

I paid off that X on my Sweetwater card and two weeks later my "sales engineer" sends me a note reminding me that my card is empty and burning a hole in my pocket. I've been good so far. Saw the Juno X but it didn't do much for me.

The Sequential/Oberheim OB-6 is $3500 but only six voices. I guess Sequential and Oberheim are part of Focusrite now. Gibson had bought Oberheim in the late 80's but didn't really do the company any favors.
              Last edited by twonabomber; 05-13-2022, 07:55 PM.

Comment

OB-X8 out and shipping and hasn't seen a price decrease yet. Sweetwater has $300 in "bonus bucks" toward a future purchase but $4600 is still a little much. I could buy another Jeep for that much!

I upgraded to OP-X Pro II for $80. Only a six voice VST but multiples can be run.

Comment

Sweetwater is up to $700 in bonus bucks. $4300 is still a lot. Summer hobbies starting soon, I wouldn't play it until fall.

Comment

Back when I dabbled in these things they really used up a lot of time playing around with sounds. Would be good if you were giving up booze or smoking and wanted to take you mind off it but I guess video games do that a lot cheaper.

Comment

I don't do video games. I only turn on the PS4 to watch the Mandalorian

I did pick up the Arturia V Collection 9. Registered some Arturia hardware I previously purchased (MiniBrute, Keystep, and RackBrute) and got 50% off. There's an Oberheim on there too. I have been playing with the Casio CZ emulator and the Fairlight one.
                      Last edited by twonabomber; 04-25-2023, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I spent 2 years trying to get good sounds out of Casio CZs around 1987/8 because that's all I could afford I don't know why you would go there now.

Running 2 together I could get something acceptable but as I remember they were 4 note Poly which is not good.

Off topic I think Andor has maybe made the latest Mandalorian a lot less good by showing how it should be done.

Comment

The flagship CZ-1 is eight voices. Found one cheap locally a few years ago. The Arturia stuff lets you go up to 16 voices (I think) but puts more of a load on the processor.

I had a CZ-230S and found the sysex patch files online. They load into the CZ emulator. You're right, they weren't very good but it was nice to revisit them.

Comment

At the time I was wanting lush strings, choirs and brass stabs and could only get ok strings at best. Couldn't afford anything better so made me go from keyboards/rhythm guitar to just guitar.

Comment

I used the 230S for strings until I got my Roland S-50 and then used those strings on everything.

Basses are okay. There was a distorted guitar patch I'd use in a pinch.

There's some creative patches on the Arturia thing. I don't remember if there's a demo. Some other small software developer made an emulator too.

Comment

Working...
                              X