Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

So this statement gets hardly any attention on a side of so called "die hards". What do they expect from a tour with an overall similar setlist and nothing new on the table.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

drip, drip, drip, the way to keep the fans guessing..............
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
        So this statement gets hardly any attention on a side of so called "die hards". What do they expect from a tour with an overall similar setlist and nothing new on the table.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk
        Well, Dave talks so much shit so often that it would take a diehard to be as dismissive of it as we are.

Casual fans of the band might take what Dave says as something meaningful, but only because they haven't been listening to Roth blather like he is on an endless coke binge for the last...well, forever, now that I think of it.

I mean, Roth may well want to BELIEVE that he'll still be touring with Van Halen ten years from now, but based on what I've seen and heard from the last two tours I wouldn't be surprised if the venue sizes decrease between now and then.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
          Let's not forget the same 'ol setlist....
          How many more times does one really need to hear RWTD, DTNA, ATBL and all the standard/obvious 6-pack tunes sung live...badly?
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I think it's time to break out the Hagar and Cherone material... with Roth still fronting the band, of course.

I'm confident that crap can also be "sung live...badly"...
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              I think it's time to break out the Hagar and Cherone material... with Roth still fronting the band, of course.

I'm confident that crap can also be "sung live...badly": if Hagar and Cherone were able to do so the first time around, Dave should have no problems doing so now.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo

I'm beyond caring what those old farts are up to. I hope Dave squirreled enough away for his golden years.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Terry
                  "The next ten summers"?

The last two tours saw Roth struggling to just sing the tunes properly, with the 2015 tour markedly worse than the 2012 one.

I'm with DONNIEP in that Van Halen - and Roth in particular - aren't at a point where things can improve. Dave's abilities have been slowly waning for years. vande's right: Dave is just making this shit up as he goes along.
                  I believe Dave is using Mick Jagger as a measuring stick for determining his approximate time left as an entertainer. It's as if he may have figured prior to making the 10 year comment, if Mick can do it at 70 something, so can I.

There are two problems with that. One is that Dave, contrary to the beliefs of Hagar fans, was a powerhouse rock singer in his prime. His abilities haven't just diminished a little. They've diminished a lot.

Secondly, Dave had been replaced before. For however crazy we may find Hagar supporters to be, there is still a large faction who would love to see Dave gone, again. That's a situation that Mick was never in. It is doubtful that any of the Stones' faithful had ever wished Mick would hang it up or move aside for a younger model through the decades of his waning abilities.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm confident that crap can also be "sung live...badly": if Hagar and Cherone were able to do so the first time around, Dave should have no problems doing so now.
                    I think he's at a point in his career where have do so confidently... night after night!!

Load the tour bus!!
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

At Examiner.com™ we help you excel personal finance, boost income, invest wisely, travel smart, reach financial freedom faster, and enjoy life on a budget.

Van Halen still quiet

Almost from the moment Van Halen’s tour ended this past October, fans and media have been speculating about the band’s future. They have scrutinized and analyzed every video, photo, and Tweet from anyone associated with the band. Last week, they puzzled over another big clue as singer David Lee Roth shared his thoughts about his future with Van Halen in the latest episode of The Roth Show (released May 24).

Early in the 36-minute podcast, he confidently spoke about his plans: “It’s not like my career path is gonna be altered. I sort of know what the next 10 summers are gonna bring,” Roth said. “Eddie Van Halen aside — those are ups and downs — I don’t know when we’re going to tour, but I have a sense that we will. I don’t know that we’re going to record again, when that will happen, but I get the sense that it’s gonna happen.” He ended the episode with his cover of The Beatles’ “Tomorrow Never Knows.”

While Roth has been putting out an average of one podcast a week since resuming his online presence earlier this year (after a sudden and never-explained yearlong internet blackout that began in January 2015), this is the first time he’s publicly addressed Van Halen’s future, since the end of the 2015 tour.

Bass player Wolfgang Van Halen has been working on a solo album, but has said nothing publicly about the band. 

According to his friend (and sometime bandmate, in Tremonti) Mark Tremonti: “He’s recorded about 24 songs, but it’s all just music at this point, there’s not any vocals done yet.” There is also no word on whether Wolf will go out with Tremonti’s band on their European tour this summer.

Meanwhile, Eddie Van Halen has also been busy — while maintaining his infamous (and often frustrating for fans) silence regarding the band’s future. The guitar legend is known for donating instruments from his extensive collection to various charities, to be used in fundraisers. On June 4, another of his autographed guitars will be up for auction at the Stars Guitars fundraiser in Dearborn, Mich. The money raised at the event will “provide college scholarships to young cancer survivors and helps with long-term treatment plans to make sure they stay healthy.”

A black guitar signed by Eddie is available, with the current bid at $1,100. Other auction items include: salon services, sports memorabilia, and guitars autographed by other rock stars (such as Ace Freely, Cyndi Lauper, and the members of Boston).

After nearly 8 months of relentlessly deciphering Tweets, interviews, and photos, fans have no more information than they did when Van Halen left the stage at the end of their last tour.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        Meanwhile, Eddie Van Halen has also been busy — while maintaining his infamous (and often frustrating for fans) silence regarding the band’s future. The guitar legend is known for donating instruments from his extensive collection to various charities, to be used in fundraisers. On June 4, another of his autographed guitars will be up for auction at the Stars Guitars fundraiser in Dearborn, Mich. The money raised at the event will “provide college scholarships to young cancer survivors and helps with long-term treatment plans to make sure they stay healthy.”

A black guitar signed by Eddie is available, with the current bid at $1,100. Other auction items include: salon services, sports memorabilia, and guitars autographed by other rock stars (such as Ace Freely, Cyndi Lauper, and the members of Boston).

After nearly 8 months of relentlessly deciphering Tweets, interviews, and photos, fans have no more information than they did when Van Halen left the stage at the end of their last tour.
                        It kills me that the writer thinks that saying nothing to fans and signing 2 guitars over 9 months counts as being busy.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Silence from the Van Halen camp is something fans have (or SHOULD have) become used to.

Ever since Cherone left in the fall of 1999, the Van Halens only bother talking when there is a tour or an album or a new EVH Signature Guitar Du Jour to promote. I mean, what did we get...like, one press release/public statement from Eddie from 2000 to 2004?

And that's fine with me, really. I don't have much interest in what the Van Halens have to say anymore. Ed is a such a chronic bullshitter in interview situations that I'm not exactly waiting anxiously to read the next batch of lies from him.

It's not 1996 anymore. Or 2000. Or even 2006. Those years, I had an interest in what Ed had to say about reuniting with Roth: is it going to happen/Could it still happen?

Well, it happened. They did 3 tours and put out a couple of albums over the last decade.

What else is there really left to even talk about?
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            I believe Dave is using Mick Jagger as a measuring stick for determining his approximate time left as an entertainer. It's as if he may have figured prior to making the 10 year comment, if Mick can do it at 70 something, so can I.

There are two problems with that. One is that Dave, contrary to the beliefs of Hagar fans, was a powerhouse rock singer in his prime. His abilities haven't just diminished a little. They've diminished a lot.

Secondly, Dave had been replaced before. For however crazy we may find Hagar supporters to be, there is still a large faction who would love to see Dave gone, again. That's a situation that Mick was never in. It is doubtful that any of the Stones' faithful had ever wished Mick would hang it up or move aside for a younger model through the decades of his waning abilities.
                            I mean, I suppose there will always be an audience out there willing to see Ed and Dave onstage together. The strength of what they did back in the day was resilient enough to have continued drawing power for those who want to capture whatever is left of that CVH magic.

But the truth of the matter is that Roth's abilities HAVE diminished substantially. The drop-off was noticeable in 2012 compared to the 2007/2008 performances, and 2015 saw his abilities eroded even more.

And another truth is that there would be an audience willing to see Van Hagar tour again. Much like Roth solo wouldn't be much of a draw, neither is Hagar solo these days. Stick Hagar back in front of Van Halen along with Mike Anthony, that lineup would be good for at least one tour of solid attendances. I'm not saying I'd want to see it, but unlike The Stones and Mick, Van Halen does have another option should Roth be unable to perform.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

But the truth of the matter is that Roth's abilities HAVE diminished substantially. The drop-off was noticeable in 2012 compared to the 2007/2008 performances, and 2015 saw his abilities eroded even more.
                              I will retract a little, my remark on the diminished abilities. There were many shows on the '15 tour where he not only sounded better than '12, but he popped out some howls that we thought were all but gone. He took ill at the end of July and it hampered is ability to finish the tour strong, but when you consider the fact that putzy pieces of shit like Justin Bieber cancel tours on account of a passing sore throat, Dave is a vintage showman of the likes we will never witness again.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                                I will retract a little, my remark on the diminished abilities. There were many shows on the '15 tour where he not only sounded better than '12, but he popped out some howls that we thought were all but gone. He took ill at the end of July and it hampered is ability to finish the tour strong, but when you consider the fact that putzy pieces of shit like Justin Bieber cancel tours on account of a passing sore throat, Dave is a vintage showman of the likes we will never witness again.
                                As a whole, I thought he sounded better on the '15 tour than the '12 tour and I think he can still deliver effective vocals, all things considered. Problem is that he doesn't appear motivated to try to work himself in to 07/08 shape and he still does himself no favors with some of his vocal choices, so yeah.

I can take or leave another tour, but I would like to squeeze another album out of these guys. Yeah, I know- good luck with that.

Comment

Working...