Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fairwrning
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

For fucks sake, give it up already..arent you a successful solo act??!!
    "First of all, I have not been approached. Secondly, it was my idea to have Dave and I go out on tour, so if everyone was happy and behind the idea 100% — no egos, no grudges — then of course I would be into it... but only with

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

Fuck bitter ex's ..... get over it
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
        For fucks sake, give it up already..arent you a successful solo act??!!
        http://www.vhnd.com/2017/08/03/sammy-hagar-maxim/
        Hagar keeps pushing this Hagar/Roth co-headlining idea in the media...

I mean, this has to be upwards of a dozen times in a dozen different interviews in the last 6 months I've read a quote from Hagar about this idea.

And he always says that he hasn't yet been approached by the Van Halens about such an undertaking yet.

Well, okay, so you're constantly giving an answer to a question that nobody outside of maybe an interviewer asked you?

Does Hagar think there's some massive public clamoring for a Roth/Hagar co-headlining Van Halen tour?

I don't even really get the sense of a groundswell for a CVH reunion tour anymore. I think most people have resigned themselves to the fact that it might never happen, and are fine with it not happening. In large part, I'd imagine, because the band are too old and waited too long to get their act together.

When I keep reading these Hagar quotes about that hypothetical tour scenario, it comes across like Hagar is desperate to do something with the band sooner than later. Yet Hagar is the only band member of such a scenario out there talking about it. It comes across as a bit pathetic. Hagar should have his management contact Van Halens and offer the proposition up. If Van Halen wants to go that way, whatever. If Hagar doesn't hear anything back, Hagar should shut up about it and get on with his life.

Does Hagar think if he keeps mentioning it in interviews he is going to prod enough people into hassling the Van Halens into doing the tour? Or some other lame thing along those lines?
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Knowing the joke of a publicity machine that is Van Halen, they'll do just as they did in '07, '12, and '15.... And that is wait until the last fucking minute to announce anything, which is of course against the grain of common sense, but whatthefuckever....

Even the production wouldn't need much advanced planning, assuming they use something close to that horrible stage with the dot matrix screen last tour.....

Maybe they'll add that lame-ass pig pen onstage where Bette can drink some tequila and sign some autographs during the show.....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Well, by this time next year, it will have been about 3 years since the band has done anything, so perhaps they will tour.

With Hagar. With Roth. Whatever. Maybe Anthony will play with them. Maybe not.

Who the fuck knows?

It'd be kinda neat if the band DID get the classic lineup together and did a one-off/one-shot tour.

Having said that, it wouldn't shock me in the least if it ends up being a Van Hagar tour. It wouldn't shock me, and it wouldn't be a massive letdown re: Van Hagar tour vs. CVH tour. It WAS a bit of a letdown in 2004 in theory - "like, what the fuck? how long are they going to wait until they reunite with Roth?" - until I saw how fucked up Eddie was.

Now, after three tours with Dave, it's over. It was over for me before the last tour. It was an easy choice to give the 2015 tour a pass. Dave...he just isn't able to bring to the stage a level of performance I deem acceptable enough to warrant spending my time and my money to see.

I like the IDEA of CVH reuniting for a one-off tour. The reality is it will essentially sound like the last couple of tours. Anthony being there isn't gonna make Dave sound any better, and frankly Dave doesn't sound good enough to be playing with Van Halen anymore: what he does vocally actually detracts from what the Van Halens are doing on an instrumental level. It sounded bad in 2012 and got worse in 2015.

Dave went back to half-assing it after the 2007/2008 tour.

So, fuck it. Tour with Hagar. Or don't. Do something. Or don't.

I dunno...maybe put out a CVH-oriented dvd for the rest of us? Or don't? Paint Franky stripes on a dildo and sell it on the official van halen website? Or don't?
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nigel
              Nickdfresh, love your avatar. Just reading Alec Baldwin's book "Nevertheless"

Great read and a very interesting guy. Not a "total disaster". . . .
              Covfefe!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                Well, by this time next year, it will have been about 3 years since the band has done anything, so perhaps they will tour.

With Hagar. With Roth. Whatever. Maybe Anthony will play with them. Maybe not.

Who the fuck knows?

It'd be kinda neat if the band DID get the classic lineup together and did a one-off/one-shot tour.

Having said that, it wouldn't shock me in the least if it ends up being a Van Hagar tour. It wouldn't shock me, and it wouldn't be a massive letdown re: Van Hagar tour vs. CVH tour. It WAS a bit of a letdown in 2004 in theory - "like, what the fuck? how long are they going to wait until they reunite with Roth?" - until I saw how fucked up Eddie was.

Now, after three tours with Dave, it's over. It was over for me before the last tour. It was an easy choice to give the 2015 tour a pass. Dave...he just isn't able to bring to the stage a level of performance I deem acceptable enough to warrant spending my time and my money to see.

I like the IDEA of CVH reuniting for a one-off tour. The reality is it will essentially sound like the last couple of tours. Anthony being there isn't gonna make Dave sound any better, and frankly Dave doesn't sound good enough to be playing with Van Halen anymore: what he does vocally actually detracts from what the Van Halens are doing on an instrumental level. It sounded bad in 2012 and got worse in 2015.

Dave went back to half-assing it after the 2007/2008 tour.

So, fuck it. Tour with Hagar. Or don't. Do something. Or don't.

I dunno...maybe put out a CVH-oriented dvd for the rest of us? Or don't? Paint Franky stripes on a dildo and sell it on the official van halen website? Or don't?

It wouldn't shock me if they never did anything with anyone ever again....

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  It wouldn't shock me if they never did anything with anyone ever again....
                  Really, the last twenty years have been so pitiful for this band, when you consider the CVH era. Even with the Sam Halen era, whatever one thought of it at least they were releasing new music, touring regularly, etc.

The greatest accomplishment the band have achieved since Cherone left was Eddie sobered up enough and relearned his old licks from 3 decades ago. It's like, "Oh, Eddie isn't drunk...and he's playing well!"

Great.

Should they pack it in, fine. They've been running on the fumes of nostalgia since 1999 anyway.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The greatest accomplishment the band have achieved since Cherone left was Eddie sobered up enough and relearned his old licks from 3 decades ago. It's like, "Oh, Eddie isn't drunk...and he's playing well!"
                    Wolfgang made Ed watch the VHS tapes...
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Really, the last twenty years have been so pitiful for this band, when you consider the CVH era. Even with the Sam Halen era, whatever one thought of it at least they were releasing new music, touring regularly, etc.

Great.

Should they pack it in, fine. They've been running on the fumes of nostalgia since 1999 anyway.
                      Nothing better than Ed's soulless, technicality proficient automaton solos devoid of all human feeling...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

That, of course, is assuming that the primary reason for DLR's yelping is that he's simply physically unable to sing in the normal register anymore, which isn't a stretch considering he turns 63 in a couple months....

Having said that, if it's NOT a physical limitation (I think it is physical, IMHO) the thing I wonder about is whether SH's assumed inclusion into the lineup would kinda slap him in the face to sing the song normally. There's no doubt SH will try to humiliate DLR, hence his idea to keep switching off during the show....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          That, of course, is assuming that the primary reason for DLR's yelping is that he's simply physically unable to sing in the normal register anymore, which isn't a stretch considering he turns 63 in a couple months....

Having said that, if it's NOT a physical limitation (I think it is physical, IMHO) the thing I wonder about is whether SH's assumed inclusion into the lineup would kinda slap him in the face to sing the song normally. There's no doubt SH will try to humiliate DLR, hence his idea to keep switching off during the show....
                          I don't think it is a physical limitation re: singing normally is now too tough for Roth, that makes him do all that strained yelping he has been doing for the last two tours. Because he yelps and yells through things like the verses of Pretty Woman or Women In Love, which are in a low vocal keys and certainly requires less of a physical strain to merely be sung properly than yelping through them the way Roth now does would.

He did that same stuff on the Sam and Dave tour in 2002, as well, so that vocal strategy has been utilized long before Roth theoretically got too old to sing properly. It has all the affectation of a guy who is bored with singing those tunes and also has nobody telling him bad that approach sounds. Half-assing his vocals at a solo gig is one thing. Fronting Van Halen? Nope. Not for me.

Hagar doesn't need to go for a tune for tune live exchange with Roth to publicly demonstrate Roth's waning abilities or humiliate Dave: Dave has been doing that all on his own for two tours running.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                            Wolfgang made Ed watch the VHS tapes...
                            He probably did. And I suppose that was a good thing, inasmuch as it probably got Ed closer to playing up to CVH par - for whatever that is worth -than Ed would have done otherwise left to his own pinched-harmonic-trans-trem-harmonic-sustainer-elephant-fart-sounding devices would have. At least Ed was playing close to the peak of his normal CVH abilities in 2012 and 2015.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              Nothing better than Ed's soulless, technicality proficient automaton solos devoid of all human feeling...
                              Clearly, if Eddie had his way, he wouldn't have went back and re-learned all his old licks.

It all smacks of him reproducing that stuff for a paycheck. And I'm fine with that: it's what I paid twice to see in the last ten years, and obviously Ed isn't going to do anything else that will generate the revenues that nostalgia tours will.

The guy hasn't broken any new ground in 2 decades. At least with Sam Halen albums you'd still get a couple of tunes which would demonstrate some effort and creativity on Eddie's part, as opposed to the Van Halen By The Numbers style of the rest of the material.

Ed just plain peaked as a guitar player from 1978 to 1984. Several interesting tunes from 1986 to 1996. After that, the rest of what he has done is pretty disposable to my ears.

Ed, due to the groundbreaking nature of what he once did, can still pull paying punters into arenas and get 10 thousand-odd geezers to go 'WOW!' as he churns out Eruption for the millionth time. Good work if you can get it, and Ed still can. I suppose it would be churlish to fault him for that. A bit sad that Roth rejoining the band hasn't resulted in much of anything new worth hearing. C'est la vie.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I've heard Hagar's voice is getting weak, too...

Comment

Working...