X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
    Maybe Brian Wilson, and not the whole of the Beach Boys.

Queen...how much credit do their co-producers get?
    Indeed... But didn't they all sound like they did because they played together and not with anyone else instead of any of them?

Ringo Starr could never have drummed in the Who, but he was kind of irreplaceable, wasn't he?
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• cadaverdog
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

Ringo Starr could never have drummed in the Who, but he was kind of irreplaceable, wasn't he?
      No.
      Beware of Dog

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
        I understand your point - I was mainly saying I'd never got into Prince's music, like I've never got into Iron Maiden for example. Prince was a (maybe the) top notch in his music alley, and Maiden in theirs, but if one doesn't dig their works doesn't allow them to state they suck, it's a trap many people fall through, I agree - I always try not to, safe about artists who actually suck, and there are some.

As far as the automatic craze for freshly departed famous artists, it's just how it goes every time, it's a real drag but you can't prevent it from happening. And yes, suddenly people will praise everything they've done, even the elevator music they might have released like Bowie tended to record mainly in the last 30 years.

Anyway, as my father used to tell me, "if you don't like something, don't try to put others off it".
        How in the FUCK have you never gotten into Iron Maiden?

Basically, when I say a certain musician/group sucks, I'm speaking for myself. And by 'suck' I'm saying I have no use for them.

I'd certainly never go onto a site dedicated to a group or artist I have no use for (like, say, a site dedicated to David Lee Roth, for example) and type post after post about how much they suck ("David Lee Roth is lame, any male who liked David Lee Roth's music is a closet homosexual" blah blah blah), because at that point you're just being a useless troll dickhead...even if you're doing it under an alias name, or whatever your motivation is.

I'll engage in frank criticism of a musician or a particular album or performance or whatever.

I just think the whole thing of paying tribute to a famous musician after they die is...I don't want to say useless, but somewhat pointless: hey, Springsteen, why didn't you play a cover of Purple Rain in concert when Prince was still alive and could have enjoyed it? The rest of us don't need you to tell us it was a good tune now that Prince is dead.

If what someone did is worth honoring, it's worth honoring while that person is still alive. When it is done after that person is dead, it's less a case of honoring that person as it is bandwagon jumping (a sheeplike baying of public grief because seemingly everyone else is doing it - Princess Diana's death springs to mind). I mean, how much sadness can one REALLY have for the death of someone they didn't even know...

Whatever. I'm just being a cunt about it. I'll shut the fuck up now.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Satan
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Bruce probably wouldn't have wanted to do a cover of Purple Rain while Prince was alive, because it was one of his signature songs. Much like Bruce himself probably wouldn't want to hear anybody else singing "Born to Run"
          Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
          I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Jetstream
            Foot Soldier
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            According to his sister, Prince left no will...
            I know from a good source his sister, Tyka Train Set, is still a crack head and did some really bat crazy shit at Paisley Park a day after Prince's death which makes it surreal she might have some control regarding his music, though a judge might actually find it easy to proclaim her as totally incoherent to lay claim lol
            I got lost in the...

Comment

• Jetstream
              Foot Soldier
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Satan
              Bruce probably wouldn't have wanted to do a cover of Purple Rain while Prince was alive, because it was one of his signature songs. Much like Bruce himself probably wouldn't want to hear anybody else singing "Born to Run"
              I think the song was done out of respect for Prince's legacy and I really don't think it was about Bruce wanting any pub
              I got lost in the...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Everyone seems to be jumping in at the moment...

Comment

• vandeleur
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Sep 2009

Pretty lights , it's like the Aurora boreyarsehole
                  fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

Yes the solo in comfortably numb is good but I still don't like the floyd man
                    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                      Yes the solo in comfortably numb is good but I still don't like the floyd man
                      Never did care for Pink Floyd. I was too busy having fun to sit in some room tripped out on mushrooms or acid or marijuana cigarettes or whatever you people got hi on and listened to that stuff lol. I like some of their songs, just never got into them. They don't smile enough.
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                        Never did care for Pink Floyd. I was too busy having fun to sit in some room tripped out on mushrooms or acid or marijuana cigarettes or whatever you people got hi on and listened to that stuff lol. I like some of their songs, just never got into them. They don't smile enough.
                        I liked Floyd before I started getting high. Oddly enough, once I started, they bored me to tears. I honestly got more out of Flintstones and Warner Brothers cartoons by that time.

On that point, did anyone ever see the episode where the Coyote actually caught the Road Runner? It was a "clips" show, wherein the Coyote recalls all the shit he went through over the years trying to capture the Road Runner. In the end, realizing how much of his life was wrapped up in the pursuit, Wile E. let him go.

I've met exactly FIVE people in my lifetime that recall that episode.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
                          I think the song was done out of respect for Prince's legacy and I really don't think it was about Bruce wanting any pub
                          I don't think he did it for publicity either, although he should still feel free not to do something similar down the line when the next rock star dies: much like I don't need the Dave Grohl seal of approval to tell me when it's okay to like any given aging rock star who jumps up onstage to jam with the Foo Fighters, I don't need the Bruce Springsteen seal of approval to tell me when it's okay to like any given dead rock star Springsteen decides to cover during one of his shows.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Springsteen played INXS' Don't Change at one of his Australian shows last year. I think he's been throwing in covers here and there.
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Satan
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

He did Highway to Hell down there too. Bon Scott was amused by that.

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                              I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by chefcraig

On that point, did anyone ever see the episode where the Coyote actually caught the Road Runner? It was a "clips" show, wherein the Coyote recalls all the shit he went through over the years trying to capture the Road Runner. In the end, realizing how much of his life was wrapped up in the pursuit, Wile E. let him go.

I've met exactly FIVE people in my lifetime that recall that episode.
                                Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...